Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 73164 times)
Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #495 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:23am

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #496 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:27am

Agnes wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:23am:
mothra wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:10am:
The idea that the only power women have is the power OVER men is HIGHLY offensive.
We can manage to get poo done all by ourselves, thankyou very much.

I find that whole post offensive, regressive- and deeply devalues all women- and this is coming from a woman ?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #497 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:28am

Agnes wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:27am:
Agnes wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:23am:
mothra wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:10am:
The idea that the only power women have is the power OVER men is HIGHLY offensive.
We can manage to get poo done all by ourselves, thankyou very much.

I find that whole post offensive, regressive- and deeply devalues all women- and this is coming from a woman ?

Agreed

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #498 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:54am

The thing is, feminism never said it wasn't ok to be a stay at home mum. Feminism never said that the work of women at home wasn't valued.

That was a spin put on it by the patriarchy ... and indeed some feminists who claimed to have the authority to tell other women what to do.

Feminism itself respects all women and the choices they make. Feminism says that the role of stay at home mum is crucial and under-valued. Feminism says that a woman has the right to choose whatever path she likes and she should be treated with equality and dignity all the way along it.

My own mother thinks feminists are out to get her for her life choices. I've been at it for nearly 20 years to tell her she has got the wrong end of the message.

I blame the patriarchy for continuing to pit women against each other. Women who stand up to the patriarchy are seen a 'ball breakers' or held to be in judgement of other women.

This is not the case.

If society valued the work of the stay at home mother as she deserves and she was socially secure if her husband were to leave her or the relationship was otherwise to disintegrate, feminists would have no argument. We do, however, worry about these women because they have no security outside of their man.

Imagine, being 50 years of age and being expected to rejoin the workforce with no qualifications. Who would hire you?

Feminism advocates for the empowerment of women without aside from men.

It is astonishing that these even need be said in 2015 ... but that is clearly how slowly the message trickles down.

May i add as an aside, we have more stay at home dads now than ever before. They will face the problems. They face the added problem of being judged by society for the choice of their family. They face discrimination in shared play environments and recrimination from society at large. This is part of the patriarchy. It needs to be abolished.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #499 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:55am

mothra wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:54am:
The thing is, feminism never said it wasn't ok to be a stay at home mum. Feminism never said that the work of women at home wasn't valued.

That was a spin put on it by the patriarchy ... and indeed some feminists who claimed to have the authority to tell other women what to do.

Feminism itself respects all women and the choices they make. Feminism says that the role of stay at home mum is crucial and under-valued. Feminism says that a woman has the right to choose whatever path she likes and she should be treated with equality and dignity all the way along it.

My own mother thinks feminists are out to get her for her life choices. I've been at it for nearly 20 years to tell her she has got the wrong end of the message.

I blame the patriarchy for continuing to pit women against each other. Women who stand up to the patriarchy are seen a 'ball breakers' or held to be in judgement of other women.

This is not the case.

If society valued the work of the stay at home mother as she deserves and she was socially secure if her husband were to leave her or the relationship was otherwise to disintegrate, feminists would have no argument. We do, however, worry about these women because they have no security outside of their man.

Imagine, being 50 years of age and being expected to rejoin the workforce with no qualifications. Who would hire you?

Feminism advocates for the empowerment of women without aside from men.

It is astonishing that these even need be said in 2015 ... but that is clearly how slowly the message trickles down.

May i add as an aside, we have more stay at home dads now than ever before. They will face these problems, but to a lesser extent. They face the added problem of being judged by society for the choice of their family. They face discrimination in shared play environments and recrimination from society at large. This is part of the patriarchy. It needs to be abolished.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #500 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 8:51am

What a load of rubbish.

I pity any poor man who has the misfortune to live just one day under the same roof as you revolting women.

Oh that's right, no man does live with you. Why? Men aren't stupid. My bad.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #501 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 9:46am

Lisa Jones wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 8:51am:
What a load of rubbish.

I pity any poor man who has the misfortune to live just one day under the same roof as you revolting women.

Oh that's right, no man does live with you. Why? Men aren't stupid. My bad.

Remember now Lisa, one of the reasons you hate me is because i have the life you pretend to have.

Perfectly happy with a good man and kids.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #502 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 9:52am

And you have no rebuttal or any other form of argument.

Just your fantasies and mud slinging.

It's all you've got.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #503 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 10:07am

Yes of course you do ....you poor thing.

My apologies.

I happen to cuddle up and sleep with my REAL husband at night.

You on the other hand stay up online all night instead.

I must remember just how REAL your lies are ....to you.

My bad  Grin

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #504 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 10:26am

Lisa Jones wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 10:07am:

My apologies.

My bad  Grin

Any actual comment on the topic at hand or are you just using it as an excuse to try and denigrate other women for not having men ... of all things.

You know it'w not really an achievement to have a man in your life, don't you? It's not that hard to do.

But you do go on about it ... it's like you're trying to convince .. well somebody.

I don't consider my man an achievement. I am not in any way validated by the presence of him in my life. We meet as equals.

Lisa, you're tragic.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #505 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:06am

If society valued the work of the stay at home mother as she deserves

"society" is over 50% female - and you know it's the other ~50% that value the stay at home mother. 

But let me guess - womens own behaviour is all the fault of THE PATRIARCHYtm

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #506 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:15am

mothra wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 10:26am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 10:07am:

My apologies.

My bad  Grin

Any actual comment on the topic at hand or are you just using it as an excuse to try and denigrate other women for not having men ... of all things.

You know it'w not really an achievement to have a man in your life, don't you? It's not that hard to do.

But you do go on about it ... it's like you're trying to convince .. well somebody.

I don't consider my man an achievement. I am not in any way validated by the presence of him in my life. We meet as equals.

Lisa, you're tragic.

I know Mothra- just who is she trying to convince? All she talks about is men- its not hard to get a man- my partner and I are equals- he is old fashioned romantic and the male ego tries to take over sometimes -but its not really a problem I must say. We understand each other - so important- I dont talk about him much but I am only too happy to if asked- he is not an achievement- he doesnt define me but together we are a wonderful contradiction- it just works for both of us.

I feel somewhat sorry for Lisa because she doesnt get it and she really needs to get it- once she does maybe she can make a real life connection and  stop these online games- an online flirtation is a not a relationship

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #507 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 12:10pm

... wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:06am:

"society" is over 50% female - and you know it's the other ~50% that value the stay at home mother. 

Lol.

Don't waste your energy.

I don't.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #508 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 12:11pm

... wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:06am:

Sorry...just realized..you're poking fun at the insane.

By all, means....continue  Grin

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #509 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:41pm

So then it would seem that this debate is not in point of fact then one of Women's biggest issues.

Further, it would seem that it is not about feminism either, it is about humanism....

Treating all people fairly and facilitating them realizing their individual strengths and contribution to society regardless of gender, race, religion or socio-economic situation....

I don't think all people are, in fact, born equal - that's just how things go, we have genetic differences, we have environmental differences, we have developmental differences and then we have gender differences as well.

Mothra, I actually don't struggle with the idea that some Men are more drawn to tradition female roles, interests etc - I have long understood that. I also realise that our current social model does not encourage, except or do much more than denegrade these men generally...Likewise, there are some women who reciprocate with regard to "traditional" male roles, interests etc....

I guess we can only, at best though, speak in generalities and in this I think we seem to agree to some extent, to be honest. I think the problem with our "social constructs" around male/female roles, is that overtime, rather than reflect what we should have learned about our species from nature, the system plays to identified male strengths (not just physical strength, but abilities) (in general terms) whilst totally ignoring (for the main part) the identified female strengths (except where it suits a purpose and not necessarily in positive ways, e.g the idea that women are better nurturers, therefore should look after children - both genders know how to nurture our young), or at least downplaying those strengths as having any value to society (in modern terms that means business, productivity and making money...)

So, yep, we do need to make some BIG changes to how we have been doing life. Hopefully, as a species we will one day stumble out of our adolescent and self centred fog and start stepping up to;

a) Take a bit of personal responsibility en masse (it's hard work on those few individuals who already do after all)

b) Learn to be respectful of what other people can do, achieve and provide. You know, rather than just discriminate against them because they are the wrong colour, religion, gender, the wrong hair colour, not wealthy enough.... The list goes on.

As an aside, I heard a fellow the other night say that Australia has a peculiar kind of racism.....

I think this racism idea is a poor choice of words.

I think what people do not understand about Australian's (hell, even Australian's don't seem to get this) is that we do not discriminate with who we discriminate against, we just lump it all into racism. This in turn then creates self defeating arguments....

Back to the point - perhaps, we need to really try to avoid any and all isms - and learn a bit about appropriate discrimination.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 59
Send Topic Print