Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cost Of Raising Children - Rather Massive (Read 913 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Cost Of Raising Children - Rather Massive
Aug 22nd, 2014 at 8:25am

Cost of raising children in Australia is rather massive

August 21, 2014
     News. com.au

We hear you, the cost of raising kids is making us cry too.   Cry

EARLIER this week, new figures were published which found raising a child in the US cost $263,000. $263,000?! Seems kind of cheap to us Australians.

It’s no wonder the Australian birthrate per woman in 2012 was 1.93, down from 2.85 in 1970, or the post-war boom years of three-plus kids. Who can afford a van full of munchkins nowadays with the rising cost of pretty much everything except technology?

The cost of having a child starts before they’re even conceived.

If you choose to go down the private health care route, there’s a 12-month waiting period for coverage on obstetrics care. Which means you will have to pay, at the very least, three months extra on your insurance premiums, and that’s only if you conceive your kid right on schedule to the day. Ditto with those prenatal vitamins you’re supposed to be taking as soon as you start trying for a baby.

The most recent thorough modelling on the cost of raising kids in Australia, released last year by AMP and The University of Canberra, found the cost of raising two kids in Australia for a family on a middle income will set you back $812,000. For a higher income family, the cost rises to $1.09 million from the time the kids are born to when they leave home, while a lower income family can get away with spending $474,000.      Sad

We don’t even want to think about how much a dozen kids would cost.

The disparity in cost comes from assumptions that those with more money are more likely to send their children to private schools and have a higher standard of living overall. The top private schools can cost more than $30,000 each year. And that’s just for tuition.      Sad

The study found the cost of raising two kids has increased 50 per cent from when the same research was conducted in 2007. In contrast, household incomes have only grown 25 per cent in the same period.

The average family with two kids will spend $458 a week on their children. That may seem like a lot of money (after all, how much do kids really eat) but it takes into account factors such as housing — an extra bedroom in a dwelling can cost up to $200,000, or if you’re renting $300 a week.

The highest costs depend on your income level. Low and middle income earners will spend more on transport than anything else. High income earners spend the most on education. All income groups spend a big proportion of their wages on food for their kids.

A middle income family will spend more than $100,000 on recreation costs such as sports fees. And what about all those birthday parties of your kids’ friends? You can’t just turn up with a couple of knick-knacks from the $2 shop anymore — it needs to be some vintage wooden jigsaw puzzle from that specialty toy boutique.      Sad

Other costs included childcare, furnishings and equipment, clothing, healthcare and utilities.    

It all adds up, doesn’t it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: Cost Of Raising Children - Rather Massive
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:46am

These kinds of analyses reappear from time to time.
I am always skeptical about the figures (skeptical by nature & training).
For one thing, they always trend out along the largest possible expense lines. They never allow for making thrifty decisions in life.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 11:58am

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:46am:
These kinds of analyses reappear from time to time.
I am always skeptical about the figures (skeptical by nature & training).
For one thing, they always trend out along the largest possible expense lines. They never allow for making thrifty decisions in life.

they are stupid figures.  Somehow parents on lowish wages manage to raise their kids very well on a much, much smaller figure.  these figures always imply NEW clothes (designer of course) for every child, expensive meals 3 times a day, overseas holidays, expensive people mover cars (changed avery few years) and other drivel.  you are right bogarde, these figures are the extreme top and totally ignore budgeting or thrifty decision-making. It certainly avoids the moving of clothes and baby items around other parents

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 12:59pm

I suppose however they are very useful reports for the left-wing welfare groupies who are forever whinging about govts that don't do everything for them, including wiping their butts.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 4:45pm

All I know is that it costs the abos and islanders in my area $0 to breed. That's the problem!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 5:02pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 22nd, 2014 at 12:59pm:
I suppose however they are very useful reports for the left-wing welfare groupies who are forever whinging about govts that don't do everything for them, including wiping their butts.

If you ever read the detail of these types of reports you would be astonished at what the people think normal parents spend on their kids.  it never occurs to them to use second-hand clothes or goods, cheap meals, eating at home and not buying the latest toys and computers every 6 months.

worthless rubbish.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 7:09pm

Pffft.  I probably make money off my kids when family tax benefit is taken into consideration.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 9:29am

... wrote on Aug 22nd, 2014 at 7:09pm:
Pffft.  I probably make money off my kids when family tax benefit is taken into consideration. 

you don't make money off kids unless you sell them into slavery or they win powerball.  and even then, it is lineball.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 9:43am

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 9:29am:

you don't make money off kids unless you sell them into slavery or they win powerball.  and even then, it is lineball.

I was too vague - I definitely make money off them.  No slavery, but it's not even close to lineball.  We get almost $600 a fortnight in family tax benefit.  Not only that, we just got a 6 or 7 grand lump sum because we had been underpaid FTB all financial year.   

Some people would try to tell you they would easily spend that much on 2 young kids, but they're lying.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 4:34pm

... wrote on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 9:43am:

I was too vague - I definitely make money off them.  No slavery, but it's not even close to lineball.  We get almost $600 a fortnight in family tax benefit.  Not only that, we just got a 6 or 7 grand lump sum because we had been underpaid FTB all financial year.   

Some people would try to tell you they would easily spend that much on 2 young kids, but they're lying.

you get $15000pa from family tax benefit???  I am calling BS on this.  or worse.  and if you got underpaid you would know the exact amount not '6 or 7 grand'

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:34pm

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 4:34pm:

you get $15000pa from family tax benefit???  I am calling BS on this.  or worse.  and if you got underpaid you would know the exact amount not '6 or 7 grand'

I don't, but my wife does.  But I just checked, it was only $5312 we got for being underpaid this year, but in previous years it's been 6 or 7 grand.  I deliberately overstate my income throughout the year so that the fortnightly payments are a bit lower, but when we do our tax returns, they give us a nice little bonus with which to pay the rates and go on holidays.   Smiley

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:47pm

... wrote on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:34pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 4:34pm:

I don't, but my wife does.  But I just checked, it was only $5312 we got for being underpaid this year, but in previous years it's been 6 or 7 grand.  I deliberately overstate my income throughout the year so that the fortnightly payments are a bit lower, but when we do our tax returns, they give us a nice little bonus with which to pay the rates and go on holidays.   Smiley

still sounds completely bogus and given your posting history, that would be consistent.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:55pm

Oh well.  probably better you don't know how much my life, and by extension, every other low income breeder is subsidised by the taxpayer.  But if you really do want to give yourself a heart attack, google FTB payment rates.   

If it's any consolation we're getting about $25 of your tax $$ a fortnight less than we did last financial year.  Some would curse Abbotts cold black heart for this, I just say easy come, easy go.   Smiley

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:58pm

... wrote on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:55pm:
Oh well.  probably better you don't know how much my life, and by extension, every other low income breeder is subsidised by the taxpayer.  But if you really do want to give yourself a heart attack, google FTB payment rates.   

If it's any consolation we're getting about $25 of your tax $$ a fortnight less than we did last financial year.  Some would curse Abbotts cold black heart for this, I just say easy come, easy go.   Smiley

as usual, very little of what you write makes sense.  this is no different.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 6:13pm

Giving us welfare that we don't need doesn't make sense to me either, but all I know is that every fortnight 2 payments totalling $550 and change appear in the bank account, with a government payment ID. 

Thanks australia.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print