Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Dioxins in Sydney Harbour fish ... (Read 5672 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Dioxins in Sydney Harbour fish ...
Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 8:15am

Anyone who eats the sewer grown hormone fed Vietnamese Catfish.... deceptively called BASA

may as well eat Sydney Harbour fish.

I don't understand how authorities can eventually ban a suspect local product because of toxin/pollutant contamination yet allow the importation of such crap
as BASA...... catfish.

Btw ...... it doesn't taste sweet  ....... it's feckin tasteless/bland.

I got caught eating it once.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:02am

freediver wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 9:48pm:
I'm not going to eat anything out of Sydney Harbour, but I believe the theory is that it is a cumulative toxin so limiting consumption can work. If you can draw the line somewhere and say it is safe to eat on this side of the line, then you can draw a line a bit closer and say it is safe to eat in limited quantities from there.

I remember the awful documentary about a seaside village in Japan where a whole generation were rendered dribbling idiots because the water had become contaminated with some sort of mercury or lead run-off.

It was a pitiful sight.

It's a case of "Do you feel lucky, punk?"  ~ then okay ~ eat the fish and switch off the lights to see if you glow in the dark.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:06am

It was called Minimata Disease Herb.

Industrial poisoning from MethylMercury in Minimata City in JAPAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:19am

Done a bit of fishing off the sow and pigs when younger - close enough to the heads to be OK I think.

However eating fish from up stream has been known to be a problem for 20 years or more.

fish that'll have you glowing in the dark?

With certain algae types in the water it is normal for many species of fish to glow in the dark but its not contagious. People swimming in the same water also go phosphorescent. It is probably not the correct term it may in reality be the result of chemiluminescence I am not sure.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:35am by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:22am

The leatherjackets and a few other species from down that way have bones that are bright green/blue in the middle. Apparently it is a natural thing.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:34am

Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:19am:
Don't a bit of fishing off the sow and pigs when younger - close enough to the heads to be OK I think.

However eating fish from up stream has been known to be a problem for over 20 years or more.

With certain algae types in the water it is normal for many species of fish to glow in the dark but its not contagious. I would think that people swimming in the same water would also go phosphorescent. It is probably not the correct term it may in reality be the result of chemiluminescence I am not sure.

And you don't think any of these fish can swim/travel up & down the Harbour?  Grin

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:45am

Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:34am:
Don't a bit of fishing off the sow and pigs when younger - close enough to the heads to be OK I think.

However eating fish from up stream has been known to be a problem for over 20 years or more.

With certain algae types in the water it is normal for many species of fish to glow in the dark but its not contagious. I would think that people swimming in the same water would also go phosphorescent. It is probably not the correct term it may in reality be the result of chemiluminescence I am not sure.

And you don't think any of these fish can swim/travel up & down the Harbour?  Grin

It is more about the fish that live in it, swimming over it once or twice isn't much of an issue. The heavy metals etc are primarily in the sediment on the bottom - bigger impact on bottom feeders (you don't see many Lib politicians in Sydney harbour).

At the mouth of the harbour you can target fish more likely to have come in from the ocean or fish that are known to live on a reef. There are species that do not go upstream.

i.e. Bream would be suspect but Atlantic salmon, kingfish or many shark species would be OK

Even with Bream you have an idea as their colour will change dependant on their environment and diet but still not out of Sydney Harbour.

While I think some locations may well be OK I am afraid that I still would not be doing it today.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 10:38am

Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 8:15am:
Anyone who eats the sewer grown hormone fed Vietnamese Catfish.... deceptively called BASA

Well said! I was beating my brains out trying to remember the name: The notorious Basa!

I've eaten them too. And then I saw the documentary of how these fish grow fat on a thousand miles of Mekong River effluent drifting past them where they are corralled within netted compounds alongside the banks. 'Basa' is a four-letter word like 'Sh!t' ...

Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 8:15am:
Btw ...... it doesn't taste sweet  ....... it's feckin tasteless/bland.

That's never been a problem for me. I drown everything in a bath of Tomato Sauce, HP Sauce, Worcester Sauce, vinegar, Tabasco, squeezed lemons, grated cheese, Ground Peppers, salt, etc etc.

With Smoked Cod I only sprinkle them with Mint Sauce. To die for. Smoked Cod ~ cheap, delicious, tremendous value. Serve with peas and mashed potatoes, and sliced tomatoes.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 10:43am

Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:06am:
It was called Minimata Disease Herb.

Industrial poisoning from MethylMercury in Minimata City in JAPAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

Yes. It's a tragedy that could happen anywhere. We've been lucky so far.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 10:45am

Done a bit of fishing off the sow and pigs when younger - close enough to the heads to be OK I think.

However eating fish from up stream has been known to be a problem for 20 years or more.

With certain algae types in the water it is normal for many species of fish to glow in the dark but its not contagious. People swimming in the same water also go phosphorescent. It is probably not the correct term it may in reality be the result of chemiluminescence I am not sure.

That's it. I used to swim in the luminescent waves on camping trips when we lived in Hong Kong.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 10:47am

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:22am:
The leatherjackets and a few other species from down that way have bones that are bright green/blue in the middle. Apparently it is a natural thing.

'Bone cancer' leaps to mind. Leukemia. Some of these toxins accrue in the bones until they reach a critical point of no return.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:10am

Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:45am:
Even with Bream you have an idea as their colour will change dependant on their environment and diet but still not out of Sydney Harbour.

While I think some locations may well be OK I am afraid that I still would not be doing it today.

It's the cumulative effect of eating these fish in which toxins become concentrated over a period of time.

If it's not fished outside the Harbour Heads ~ then forget it. Send it back to the kitchen and don't believe any bullshit they tell you.

A restaurant was recently fined for blatant false advertising on their menu. Some sludge-dwelling, mud-sucking flatfish being advertised as a blue water delicacy.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:17am

I feel lucky all of a sudden  that I cannot afford to buy fish... what about prawns.. I do miss them

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:23am

cods wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:17am:
I feel lucky all of a sudden  that I cannot afford to buy fish... what about prawns.. I do miss them

Fish is the cheapest protein you can buy except for starvation food such as calamari, jellyfish and eels.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:31am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:23am:
cods wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:17am:

Fish is the cheapest protein you can buy except for starvation food such as calamari, jellyfish and eels.

really?.. where do you live here in ACT its like gold dust...I am sorry I wont buy imported fish...dont care what sort of name they put on it...have a grandson who adores fishing.. but he hasnt brought home anything to put in the pan yet....I am going with him one day just to show him how to catch them .. Wink Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print