Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Dioxins in Sydney Harbour fish ... (Read 5656 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Dioxins in Sydney Harbour fish ...
Reply #30 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:39am

cods wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:31am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:23am:
cods wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:17am:
I feel lucky all of a sudden  that I cannot afford to buy fish... what about prawns.. I do miss them

Fish is the cheapest protein you can buy except for starvation food such as calamari, jellyfish and eels.

really?.. where do you live here in ACT its like gold dust...I am sorry I wont buy imported fish...dont care what sort of name they put on it...have a grandson who adores fishing.. but he hasnt brought home anything to put in the pan yet....I am going with him one day just to show him how to catch them .. Wink Wink

Try Smoked Cod simmered face-down in milk for 10 mins ~ then slide the skin off with a knife while it's still in the pan ~ then put the fillets on a plate and sprinkle with mint sauce.

Absolutely delicious.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:19pm

I feel lucky all of a sudden  that I cannot afford to buy fish... what about prawns.. I do miss them

Fish is the cheapest protein you can buy except for starvation food such as calamari, jellyfish and eels.

I buy rump for as little as $6 per kilo. The cheapest fish you can get is very old mullet at about $8 per kilo, uncleaned. I actually like calamari, but it is a lot more than steak.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #32 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:37pm

Anything in the area that lives and feeds off the bottom (where all the heavy metals collect) are by far the worst affected, Prawns are bottom feeders.

This is the reason that imported prawns are cheap and that you can not buy prawns from Sydney harbour. I would think that most Australian commercial prawns are good quality.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:41pm

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:19pm:

I buy rump for as little as $6 per kilo.

Whoaaaa... ! Hold it right theeeere...

Poor grade mince beef on a WAY past its Use By Date 'Special' ~ I can believe ... but.

The cheapest fish you can get is very old mullet at about $8 per kilo, uncleaned. I actually like calamari, but it is a lot more than steak.

I haven't had fish for awhile. I'll check the prices out next time I'm at Woolies or Coles.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:44pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:37pm:

Anything in the area that lives and feeds off the bottom (where all the heavy metals collect) are by far the worst affected, Prawns are bottom feeders.

This is the reason that imported prawns are cheap and that you can not buy prawns from Sydney harbour. I would think that most Australian commercial prawns are good quality.

It's a dodgy food, but I love big prawns, and occasionally treat myself to $10 worth of 'Tigers' etc to peel at home and dip in vinegar for a nice snack in front of the TV in the evening.

I eat a lot of NZ mussels as well.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 3:14pm

OK Tedi & Fly Rivers in Papua New Guinea spring to mind in regards to bad pollution.
BHP totally destroyed the environment and then got away 'legally' with not having to clean up their mess.
At the start, the locals got a bit of cash in hand and some jobs ...but they have nothing to spend it on as everything is ruined: trees, rivers, animals.
Open up a fish that is contaminated and its liver is black with mercury and other pollutants. Unedible.
One of the best examples in the world of a vibrant ecosystem that has just died from an over-dose of smack/ice, so to speak.

Seafood, I only get from the upper or lower coasts or from South Australia or New Zealand.

People in the big cities get absolutely CRAP seafood. But hey, most of them don't give a rats about our Aquatic environment, so they deserve the 'tinned' and polluted stuff.

Many places selling Seafood, both BIG and small have often been found to be falsifying 'Labelling' and often quite blatantly. Woolworths & Coles do it often as the profit they make on the 'deception' far outweighs the fines given to them.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 3:30pm

I would not touch Vannemei prawns with my noisy neighbours' fork.  They are cheap for a reason.  We should all be black-banning this second rate and polluted cheap seafood when the best of our own is exported.

Buy Australian Tiger Prawns if you must buy any but, like I said before, travel for a few hours up or down the coast once every couple of months and stock up on fresh Aussie seafood.  If we don't buy the inferior and polluted rubbish perhaps they will stop offering it as a rotten alternative.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 6:44pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:41pm:

I buy rump for as little as $6 per kilo.

Whoaaaa... ! Hold it right theeeere...

Poor grade mince beef on a WAY past its Use By Date 'Special' ~ I can believe ... but.

The cheapest fish you can get is very old mullet at about $8 per kilo, uncleaned. I actually like calamari, but it is a lot more than steak.

I haven't had fish for awhile. I'll check the prices out next time I'm at Woolies or Coles.

You have to buy a whole rump - about $40 worth at a time. It is vacuum packed and fresher than the stuff you get at the coles deli for $20. Usually it is $7 per kilo.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #38 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:12pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 3:30pm:
I would not touch Vannemei prawns with my noisy neighbours' fork.  They are cheap for a reason.  We should all be black-banning this second rate and polluted cheap seafood when the best of our own is exported.

Buy Australian Tiger Prawns if you must buy any but, like I said before, travel for a few hours up or down the coast once every couple of months and stock up on fresh Aussie seafood.  If we don't buy the inferior and polluted rubbish perhaps they will stop offering it as a rotten alternative.

Till a couple of years back I was going out prawning with my daughter in the lake, had some great times out in the lake after midnight. One new years we were out when the fireworks were going off. You see all sorts of things.

Seen a flock of baby seagulls - never seen them before, one night there were hundreds of crabs wandering about, you can imagine how impressed my 8yo would have been with that. Once there was a fish in the deeper water watching - its eyes were way too far apart, then we had a flathead take a prawn out of my net, I don't fancy fighting a big fish in water above my waist.

One night there were a group of Lebs stepped in front of us - the first thing they netted was an octopus - don't fancy playing with a blue ring myself, they didn't seem to care.

Fresh lake prawns were mostly a bit smallish but very tasty, much better than anything you can buy. Mostly got at least a half k and sometimes lots.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:20pm by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:15pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:45am:
Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:34am:
Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:19am:
Don't a bit of fishing off the sow and pigs when younger - close enough to the heads to be OK I think.

However eating fish from up stream has been known to be a problem for over 20 years or more.

fish that'll have you glowing in the dark?

With certain algae types in the water it is normal for many species of fish to glow in the dark but its not contagious. I would think that people swimming in the same water would also go phosphorescent. It is probably not the correct term it may in reality be the result of chemiluminescence I am not sure.

And you don't think any of these fish can swim/travel up & down the Harbour?  Grin

It is more about the fish that live in it, swimming over it once or twice isn't much of an issue. The heavy metals etc are primarily in the sediment on the bottom - bigger impact on bottom feeders (you don't see many Lib politicians in Sydney harbour).

At the mouth of the harbour you can target fish more likely to have come in from the ocean or fish that are known to live on a reef. There are species that do not go upstream.

i.e. Bream would be suspect but Atlantic salmon, kingfish or many shark species would be OK

Even with Bream you have an idea as their colour will change dependant on their environment and diet but still not out of Sydney Harbour.

While I think some locations may well be OK I am afraid that I still would not be doing it today.

Grin Shark species? Come off it..... They are harbour & river travellers & eat those up harbour/river bottom
feeders.

Top of the food chain predators are just as likely to be chock full of toxins.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #40 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:23pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:15pm:
Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:45am:
Gnads wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:34am:
Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:19am:
Don't a bit of fishing off the sow and pigs when younger - close enough to the heads to be OK I think.

However eating fish from up stream has been known to be a problem for over 20 years or more.

fish that'll have you glowing in the dark?

With certain algae types in the water it is normal for many species of fish to glow in the dark but its not contagious. I would think that people swimming in the same water would also go phosphorescent. It is probably not the correct term it may in reality be the result of chemiluminescence I am not sure.

And you don't think any of these fish can swim/travel up & down the Harbour?  Grin

It is more about the fish that live in it, swimming over it once or twice isn't much of an issue. The heavy metals etc are primarily in the sediment on the bottom - bigger impact on bottom feeders (you don't see many Lib politicians in Sydney harbour).

At the mouth of the harbour you can target fish more likely to have come in from the ocean or fish that are known to live on a reef. There are species that do not go upstream.

i.e. Bream would be suspect but Atlantic salmon, kingfish or many shark species would be OK

Even with Bream you have an idea as their colour will change dependant on their environment and diet but still not out of Sydney Harbour.

While I think some locations may well be OK I am afraid that I still would not be doing it today.

Grin Shark species? Come off it..... They are harbour & river travellers & eat those up harbour/river bottom
feeders.

Top of the food chain predators are just as likely to be chock full of toxins.

That is why I specified species because there are also species that are rarely found upstream but you are right most large predators carry things. Marlin and larger fish seem to pick up mercury, older larger Mulloway and Tuna often have lesions and damaged flesh.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:26pm

Yes Vannemi Prawns are crap.... Virtually grown in the same shyte conditions as Basa... Vietnamese Catfish.

Herb the yellow painted chemically smoke flavoured cod you buy in the supermarket delis are not much better.

You need to get someone to genuinely cold smoke some cod or haddock .....& by that I don't mean kipper cooked/ smoked.

Oh & I love Calmari/ squid .... & it not that cheap.

Fair dinkum I reckon some of you would rave over extruded seafood extender Roll Eyes

You certainly seem deprived of decent fish or don' know the difference  Tongue

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 8:02pm

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 6:44pm:
You have to buy a whole rump - about $40 worth at a time. It is vacuum packed and fresher than the stuff you get at the coles deli for $20. Usually it is $7 per kilo.

Yes, well, if you live alone, large packets of meat are out of the question. You can't put it in and out of the freezer all the time.

I usually buy about $12 worth of halal rump at a local Muslim butchery .. cook it up, and then eat it for 2 or three days.

But as cooked meat is a known carcinogen I do this only every 3 months or so.

(And yes. If you want the best meat, then go to a Muslim butchers).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:19pm

Does the extra suffering make it tastier?

I freeze most of it. Doesn't seem to make that much difference. I doubt it has already been frozen - too big.

Oxygen is a carcinogen. It destroys everything. It will even eat through metal.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 8:02am

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:19pm:
Does the extra suffering make it tastier?

Embarrassed  Owned.

I'll try to resist buying from them in future. Keep my conscience clear. I don't know what they do with the meat, but it's always soft and tender and gristle-free as you won't find any where else.

It could be that they don't pump the meat full of water and add all those chemicals to make it look red and well-preserved like the Australian butchers do.

I freeze most of it. Doesn't seem to make that much difference. I doubt it has already been frozen - too big.

You need a family to make that a going concern.

Oxygen is a carcinogen. It destroys everything. It will even eat through metal.

So will Coca Cola.

If you are genetically predisposed to it, the most dangerous carcinogen for 'head-and-neck' cancer is alcoholic beverages. It killed my father and brother. Just molecules of ethanol is enough to trigger the growth process.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print