Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
UN Security Council unanimously endorses Iran deal (Read 919 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

UN Security Council unanimously endorses Iran deal
Jul 21st, 2015 at 11:54am

Iran is open for business and world trade will get a boost from the pent up demand and spending power of Iran.

Peace is coming despite the arms and war lobby.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33594937

Quote:
The UN Security Council has unanimously endorsed the nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers agreed last week.

The resolution, co-sponsored by all 15 members, authorises the lifting of sanctions in return for Iran curbing sensitive nuclear activities.

But it also provides a mechanism for UN sanctions to "snap back" if Iran fails to comply with its obligations.

No further action is required for 90 days, to give the US Congress time to consider whether to give its approval.
President Barack Obama said he hoped the resolution would "send a clear message" to critics that the "overwhelming number of countries" recognised diplomacy was "by far our strongest approach to ensuring that Iran does not get a nuclear weapon".

"There is broad international consensus around this issue," he added. "My working assumption is that Congress will pay attention to that broad basic consensus."
Iran insists that its nuclear programme is entirely peaceful.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: UN Security Council unanimously endorses Iran deal
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:03pm

LOL........Benjamin Netanyahu must be weeping in his falafel.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:15pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 11:54am:
Iran insists that its nuclear programme is entirely peaceful.

do you think Kevin Krudd would have endorsed this pansi if he were Secretary General of the UN which is what he is aiming for as aussie will tell you... Roll Eyes

I mean did he believe gillard before she stabbed him in the back???.... did he think shortarse was to be trusted??? did he like roast lamb...

plus he is  a man who claims to have too MUCH INTEGRITY..

it scares me. to think he would trust Iran to

only be making toys for the boys with his uranium... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:18pm

“If diplomacy has any chance to work, it must be coupled with a credible military threat.”
― Benjamin Netanyahu

this fits right in with Obamas speech.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:55pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:03pm:

It appears that Benjamin Netanyahu has commanded Cods to weep for him.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:26pm

The United Nations agenda is that it wants to rule the world. Do you see the United Nations at the site of the genocides in the Middle East? Not on your nelly. They never ever get their lily white hands dirty and have presided over more genlocide than Hitler. I sh.t you not! eg Bosnia, Congo, Middle East, Russia etc etc...

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:37pm

red baron wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:26pm:
The United Nations agenda is that it wants to rule the world. Do you see the United Nations at the site of the genocides in the Middle East? Not on your nelly. They never ever get their lily white hands dirty and have presided over more genlocide than Hitler. I sh.t you not! eg Bosnia, Congo, Middle East, Russia etc etc...

The above is a totally uninformed rant. The United Nations is not a power in itself and in fact has no responsibilities or duties other than those that the nations of the security council impose on it. That is the basis of it's formation and the basis of its charter. The United Nations cannot maintain an army and policy of its own.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:38pm

red baron wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:26pm:

You don't mean like the New World Order?

Conspiracy or fact?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:46pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:55pm:

wherever did you get such a silly idea?

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 6:09pm

Yes...we've seen what U.N. Peacekeeper troops are capable of....f...k all!!!!!!

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 6:15pm

cods wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:46pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:55pm:

wherever did you get such a silly idea?

cods wrote on Jul 21st, 2015 at 3:18pm:
“If diplomacy has any chance to work, it must be coupled with a credible military threat.”
― Benjamin Netanyahu

Your quote of Netanyahu's threat. Netanyahu has been frequently threatening to attack Iran.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 7:14pm

Just another day of U.N. 'Peace Keeping'

Dutch peacekeepers were responsible for death of 300 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica who sought refuge at UN base in 1995, Dutch court rules
Dutch peacekeepers turned victims away from their compound
The refugees were later killed by Bosnian Serb army

District court at The Hague rules Dutch soldiers could have known refugees would be massacred if they did not help them
The Netherlands ordered to pay compensation to the 300 victims' families

Total of 8,000 people were killed by Serbian army in Bosnian war

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2694427/Dutch-peacekeepers-responsible-death-300-Bosnian-Muslims-Srebrenica-sought-refuge-UN-base-1995-Dutch-court-rules.html#ixzz3gW1mTqwg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 7:26pm

Just another day of U.N.Peace Keeping

DR Congo: Army, UN Failed to Stop Massacre 

Apparent Ethnic Attack Kills 30 Civilians

July 3, 2014

An 18-year-old student who was shot while fleeing an attack by unidentified gunmen on a church service in Mutarule, South Kivu in Democratic Republic of Congo on June 6. 2014.

© 2014 Human Rights Watch

A resident inspects a house that was burned by unidentified attackers on June 6, 2014, in Mutarule, South Kivu in Democratic Republic of Congo.

Mass grave for at least 30 victims of a June 6, 2014 attack on a religious gathering by unidentified gunmen in Mutarule village in South Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo.

The Congolese army and UN peacekeepers left civilians in Mutarule to be slaughtered even though they got desperate calls for help when the attack began. Both the army and MONUSCO need to determine what went wrong and make sure such atrocities don’t happen again on their watch.

Anneke Van Woudenberg, Africa advocacy director.

(Goma) – Congolese forces and United Nations peacekeepers failed to intervene to stop a nearby attack that killed at least 30 civilians. The attack was in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo’s South Kivu province on June 6, 2014.

Human Rights Watch research found that a senior Congolese army officer stationed nearby, who had been repeatedly warned and informed of the attack by armed assailants in the village of Mutarule, did not act to stop the killings. Members of the UN peacekeeping mission in Congo, MONUSCO, based 9 kilometers away, were also aware of the attack but did not intervene, and only visited Mutarule two days after the massacre.

“The Congolese army and UN peacekeepers left civilians in Mutarule to be slaughtered even though they got desperate calls for help when the attack began,” said Anneke Van Woudenberg, Africa advocacy director at Human Rights Watch. “Both the army and MONUSCO need to determine what went wrong and make sure such atrocities don’t happen again on their watch.”

Congolese military authorities opened an investigation into the attack and arrested two army officers and a civilian, but have not yet charged them. None of the attackers has been arrested.

The massacre occurred amid rising tensions between the Bafuliro and the Barundi and Banyamulenge ethnic groups. During a week-long Human Rights Watch research mission in and around Mutarule in mid-June, victims and witnesses described how a group of armed assailants, some of whom wore military uniforms and spoke Kirundi and Kinyamulenge – the languages of the Barundi and Banyamulenge – attacked an outdoor church service in the Bafuliro section of Mutarule.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 7:34pm

Just another day at the U.N.

Security Council fails to adopt resolution on Syria

Amb. Li Baodong of China (hand raised) shown casting his country’s vote on a draft resolution regarding Syria. UN Photo/Mark Garten

19 July 2012 – Despite the appeals for united and concerted action to help end the escalating violence in Syria, the Security Council today failed to adopt a resolution that would have threatened sanctions on Damascus, owing to the negative votes of permanent members Russia and China.

Eleven of the Council’s 15 members voted in favour of the resolution’s text, while two others – Pakistan and South Africa – abstained. A veto by any one of the Council’s five permanent members means a resolution cannot be adopted.

Ahead of today’s action, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, along with the Joint Special Envoy for the United Nations and the League of Arab States for the Syrian Crisis, Kofi Annan, repeatedly expressed the hope that the Council could reach agreement on a course of collective action to end the bloodshed in the Middle Eastern country.

“I am deeply disappointed by the failure of the Security Council today over the situation in Syria,” Mr. Ban told reporters in Slovenia, where he arrived to begin an official visit.

A separate statement issued by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said the vote was disappointing as it comes at a time when more resolve and pressure were needed to achieve the goals endorsed by the Council, of a full cessation of violence to protect civilians and of facilitating a Syrian-led political transition leading to a democratic political system.

“The hour is grave. The international community has a collective responsibility to the Syrian people. The Syrian Government has manifestly failed to protect them,” it stated.

The statement added that the Secretary-General, together with the Joint Special Envoy and the UN as a whole, will spare no efforts in the search to end the violence and human rights violations, and to bring a peaceful democratic Syrian-led transition that meets the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people.

Mr. Annan also expressed his disappointment that the Council could not unite and take the strong and concerted action he had urged and hoped for. “He believes that the voice of the Council is much more powerful when its members act as one,” his spokesperson said in a statement.

The UN estimates that more than 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria and tens of thousands displaced since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began some 16 months ago.

The President of the General Assembly, Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, “deeply regrets that the Security Council has again been unable to unite and take collective action to put an immediate end to the appalling crisis in Syria,” said a statement issued by his spokesperson following the vote.

It added that the President remains deeply concerned about the “horrifying escalation” in the killing of innocent people, and that the deadlock in the Council sends the wrong signal to all parties in the conflict.

The Council is also expected to make a decision today on the future of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS), which recently suspended its regular patrols due to the escalating violence on the ground and whose 90-day mandate expires tomorrow.

The Mission was set up to monitor the cessation of violence in Syria, as well as monitor and support the full implementation of the six-point peace plan put forward by Mr. Annan. That p

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 8:03pm

What a load of crap by Red Baron. The problem in Syria is caused by Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states who fomented,  armed and financed terrorists including Isis.

Russia and China have interests which are not necessarily aligned with USA's interests. Ban Ki Moon is  USA stooge who was imposed on UN after USA developed a dislike of the former non-aligned secretary general Kofi Annan, who unlike stooge Ban Ki Moon, was often critical of USA.

USA routinely votes against resolutions concerning Israeli occupation of Palestine. So the problem with the UN is not as unilateral as Red Baron suggests.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print