Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 71
Send Topic Print
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Re: Sign up here to be an anti-Uber vigilante
Reply #30 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:28pm

I think I will stick with my once or twice a year cab ride.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:34pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:26pm:
Aussie wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:22pm:
Cabs are out there 24/7/365 come hail or high water.  (It's a licence condition.)  Uber?  Not on yer nelly.

sure they will ... once those cabbies get their compensation for their cabs they'll throw away their plates and go to work for uber, manning the same ranks, working the same hours ...  Cheesy Cheesy

You clearly have absolutely no idea how Uber operates.  They are not interested in work off ranks, or providing a 24/7 service on demand.  All they want is the top end of the market.  So do we, but we also look after the completely inviable end of the market.   

Best way to put it to you, Mr Smith is this.  You are an Uber driver.  You are at home in bed..on a freezing cold night.  Your Uber phone goes off, and a slurred voice asks you to come and get him from a local party and take him home....estimated value....$10.00.  You are free to say no.

As opposed to there being an entire fleet of Cabs already out there working....and all the bloke has to do is ring the Cab Co and his Cab will be there in an instant.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:38pm

Quote:
what makes you think Ubers current system is set in stone? If Uber doesn't pick up grannie at woolies it's because they're currently not allowed to ....

Again, you expose your ignorance.  Uber is never going to pick up Granny.  Uber is not 24/7 on demand...go wherever.....drop off wherever.  It cherry picks......and assumes the Cabs will be around to pick up the crumbs.  No, we won't be, I can assure Granny of that, so she ought be on the phone to her local MP for assurance that she will be able to get home.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:52pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:49pm

Grin

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:59pm

I look at the thread title and that alone would encourage me to support Uber.

I heard about a Taxi driver who was using threat and intimidation hounding Uber drivers on the radio today. This does nothing to encourage me to support Cabbies.

If Uber is wrong, illegal, unfair etc etc etc - then deal with it appropriately. If you can't do that, then take a flying leap if you want my support.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:04pm

Phemanderac wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:59pm:

I heard about a Taxi driver who was using threat and intimidation hounding Uber drivers on the radio today. This does nothing to encourage me to support Cabbies.

If Uber is wrong, illegal, unfair etc etc etc - then deal with it appropriately. If you can't do that, then take a flying leap if you want my support.

Ah...but that is another misunderstanding.  No if about Uber. 
It is illegal
.  It has been issued with a 'cease and desist' order in Queensland and it is thumbing its nose at Government.  Google/microsoft are behind it, and they are using their deep pockets to stare down Government and the Law.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:08pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:04pm:

It is illegal
.  It has been issued with a 'cease and desist' order in Queensland and it is thumbing its nose at Government.  Google/microsoft are behind it, and they are using their deep pockets to stare down Government and the Law.

No worries, however, my point still stands - I have no support for stand over methods etc. that was my point.

The if vs is bit, that clarifies, but does not diminish the point I was making about how and why I might offer or lend support.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

oh dear
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:11pm

I cant see why any sane person would drive for UBER driving uninsured is stupid beyond belief.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:13pm

oh dear wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:11pm:
I cant see why any sane person would drive for UBER driving uninsured is stupid beyond belief.

It's called making money, no where in the rules does it say you have to either be smart or do smart you just have to make some money...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:22pm

Phemanderac wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:08pm:

It is illegal

No worries, however, my point still stands - I have no support for stand over methods etc. that was my point.

The if vs is bit, that clarifies, but does not diminish the point I was making about how and why I might offer or lend support.

No-one supports taking the Law into your own hands....except Uber of course, and those who support Uber (mainly because they simply do not understand what is actually happening.)

I can understand the frustration of a driver who vents about an illegal operation which is directly impacting on his capacity to feed etc himself and his family.

No-one ought complain if he just chucks it in and goes on the dole.  In Queensland alone, there are 15,000 blokes who are making a quid driving a Cab, and if an illegal interloper is not sorted, they will just add to the welfare support/burden problem this Country has.

These blokes would rather not do that.  So.....as I said, in frustration, they will rant.

IP Logged

oh dear
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:23pm

Phemanderac wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:13pm:
oh dear wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:11pm:

It's called making money, no where in the rules does it say you have to either be smart or do smart you just have to make some money...

Yes I understand that. The stupidity is driving without insurance.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:26pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:22pm:

It is illegal

No-one supports taking the Law into your own hands....except Uber of course, and those who support Uber (mainly because they simply do not understand what is actually happening.)

I can understand the frustration of a driver who vents about an illegal operation which is directly impacting on his capacity to feed etc himself and his family.

No-one ought complain if he just chucks it in and goes on the dole.  In Queensland alone, there are 15,000 blokes who are making a quid driving a Cab, and if an illegal interloper is not sorted, they will just add to the welfare support/burden problem this Country has.

These blokes would rather not do that.  So.....as I said, in frustration, they will rant.

Ranting = fine Aussie.

I am not talking about the bloke having a rant, I am talking about the "vigilante sign up" and individual drivers using threat and intimidation.

Uber are breaking laws, then that needs to be addressed through the current legal system. I know that won't be easy, it will be frustrating and there is absolutely NO guarantee that it will serve justice. However, that is the social contract we all sign up for living in our society.

Blokes having a rant, I can understand, sympathise with and even feel some empathy and support for.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:33pm

Phemanderac wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:26pm:
Aussie wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:22pm:

It is illegal

Ranting = fine Aussie.

I am not talking about the bloke having a rant, I am talking about the "vigilante sign up" and individual drivers using threat and intimidation.

Uber are breaking laws, then that needs to be addressed through the current legal system. I know that won't be easy, it will be frustrating and there is absolutely NO guarantee that it will serve justice. However, that is the social contract we all sign up for living in our society.

Blokes having a rant, I can understand, sympathise with and even feel some empathy and support for.

Oh....I would not get over excited by the 'vigilante' reference.  Phemanderac, it is easy to play all pure if your income and means by which you support yourself and family is not threatened by an outlaw.

I would never harm an Uber driver if he ever turned up on my dung hill, but I guarantee he'd have a great deal of difficulty driving around with four flat tyres.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:37pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:34pm:
John Smith wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:26pm:
Aussie wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:22pm:
Cabs are out there 24/7/365 come hail or high water.  (It's a licence condition.)  Uber?  Not on yer nelly.

sure they will ... once those cabbies get their compensation for their cabs they'll throw away their plates and go to work for uber, manning the same ranks, working the same hours ...  Cheesy Cheesy

You clearly have absolutely no idea how Uber operates.  They are not interested in work off ranks, or providing a 24/7 service on demand.  All they want is the top end of the market.  So do we, but we also look after the completely inviable end of the market.   

Best way to put it to you, Mr Smith is this.  You are an Uber driver.  You are at home in bed..on a freezing cold night.  Your Uber phone goes off, and a slurred voice asks you to come and get him from a local party and take him home....estimated value....$10.00.  You are free to say no.

As opposed to there being an entire fleet of Cabs already out there working....and all the bloke has to do is ring the Cab Co and his Cab will be there in an instant.

yes yes aussie, I'm sure you'd be the first person to highlight all the positives off Uber .. I already said it will evolve to meet the market

if the taxi driver is willing to stay out and wait for fares now working for yellow cabs brisbane, he'd be just as willing to stay out and wait for fares if he was working for Uber ..

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:38pm

oh dear wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:23pm:
Yes I understand that. The stupidity is driving without insurance.

Uber says that they have insurance that covers you  ... do you believe Uber, or do you believe Aussie?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 71
Send Topic Print