Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 46
Send Topic Print
••• DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ••• (Read 32369 times)
Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Re: ••• DOMESTIC VIOLENCE •••
Reply #180 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:47am

Aussie wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:39am:
It is a defence in South Australia as well as every ofter State in Australia.

Not for common assault it isn't.

It can be used to downgrade a murder charge to manslaughter, though that is under review.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #181 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:54am

Kytro wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:30am:
I find it frustrating that people still seem to think violence is a solution, or a good idea in so many cases. I mean you're not going to change somebody's personalty with a slap, and why would you want to remain in a relationship where you feel compelled to do this. having children and then exposing them to such a toxic environment is far worse than leaving.

You're not going to change someone's personality by having the State slap them around, either - all you will do is provoke retaliation.

I once wrote a treatise in response to an interview with a senior Police officer, who made it plain that he was happy for his officers to beat up on those who beat up.  Most 'domestic disturbances' are differences of opinion, not violence, and there is a constant ebb and flow of 'power' within any relationship.  To have the Hydrogen Bomb available of the 'right' to have the State intervene on any whim is just brinkmanship of the first order - and is one very direct cause of the current deaths.

Destroying the general ebb and flow of 'power' within a relationship of two allegedly mature adults by giving one total power in this way is precisely the thing that 'domestic violence' legislation claims to be preventing.

Why then wonder why it is not being prevented - but is escalating?

There is a better way than blindly permitting the State to impose draconian measures on ONE side in isolation from the facts, and again, I predict, should the States NOT back down from this game of creating Mutually Assured Destruction - not a reduction in deaths, but an escalation.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #182 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:57am

Kytro wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:47am:
Aussie wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:39am:
It is a defence in South Australia as well as every ofter State in Australia.

Not for common assault it isn't.

It can be used to downgrade a murder charge to manslaughter, though that is under review.

I don't believe it should be - there is a line between 'provocation' and self defence.

I had a bad neighbour here once - now thankfully departed after alienating all the neighbours in a quiet enclave - who came the biff with me over nothing.

I did not retaliate, but called the cops, who handled it quietly but warned him.

Point is - if he so much as approaches me with an angry look in his eye - I can now deck him, and not have to worry - since he has proven already my need for self-defence.

He never did try it, but got the message.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #183 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:06am

Ummm - I believe Jerry Conlon's aunt, in the Guildford Four Case - was imprisoned for fourteen years as a result of her connection with one of the accused and some apparently doctored evidence that showed her group possessed nitroglycerine (yeah - carry it around in me back pocket all the time Jeez).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guildford_Four_and_Maguire_Seven

Point is - the connection was tenuous to any terrorism in any way - but the police apparently made sure the connections were solid....

I would be more than wary of any such opportunity being handed to the State.

The entire issue of 'domestic violence' and the way it is and has been handled for nearly twenty years needs an urgent review.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #184 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:08am

Bring me some hate, damn it!  I've set up the barbed wire to channel you into my machine guns and set up DFs... where are the haters?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #185 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:16am

Quote Grappler -

Quote:
A better approach, in my view, would be to remove the insulting and stigmatising term 'violence' from applications for AVOs etc.  That is a nonsense when over 95% of call-outs to NSW police over DV in 2011-12 resulted in no charges, and most accusations of 'violence' as put forward for the rubber stamp AVO etc are no such thing, but are themselves inflammatory.  Violence needs to be carefully defined - not just used as a catch-all for every situation, and as a useful re-defined tool to enable government to act where it has no real right.  That is why I advocate a first step as being a careful re-phrasing of this 'legislation' so as to properly define actions.

Totally agree Grap ....

they used to be called "Restraining Orders".

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #186 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:30am

Closet poms and their colonization and dispossession practices blamed for Aboriginal domestic violence.

http://www.aww.com.au/latest-news/crime/who-are-the-real-victims-of-domestic-vio...

Quote:
The over-representation of indigenous men and women - who also commit a substantial number of these assaults - in the DV statistics is an appalling fact.

But is it solely because they are poor? Many don’t believe so. It is a contributing factor, but only one of many, says Dr Fadwa Al-Yaman of the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.

“Colonisation has resulted in an ‘unresolved grief that is associated with multiple layers of trauma spanning many generations’ in the Indigenous population,” she says. “These are layers of trauma that include colonial aggression; genocide; racism; alienation from tribal lands; breakdown of social structure; loss of spirituality and languages; removal of rights and responsibilities; labour exploitation; and large-scale removal of Aboriginal children from their families.

“Violent dispossession of land and continuing cultural dispossession of the past 200 years have resulted in particular social, economic, physical, psychological and emotional problems for Indigenous people which is reflected in the high level of violence in their communities.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #187 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:47am

Gnads wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:44am:
cods wrote on Oct 1st, 2015 at 5:41pm:
Gnads wrote on Oct 1st, 2015 at 4:40pm:
Cods on the issue of Islamic violence bought about by journalistic critique or publishing of satirical cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad .....

your view was that to prevent such violence - knowing Muslims propensity to violence on these issues ...

was that they/we/the west should not provoke them by doing so.

An oft used quote you used was "if you poke the bear often enough" what do you expect.

Why don't you apply that very same logic to women who are the constant provocateur in many DV cases?

oh I guess its too hard for you to se the actula difference in ISIS chopping off heads and gunning people down with AK47s   and what we laughingly call DOMESTIC VIOLENCE>. I guess to some with your IQ they are basically EQUAL..

well not only do I have no answer for such a bizarre comparison but you never do make any sense to me....

you should chat to your mate aussie he and you would have the same level of understanding and and comprehension... I am sure you hav e saved that quote up for months waiting for this thread....what a shame the STARK DIFFERENCE IS BEYOND YOU... Angry Angry

maybe you need to come face to face with some who experience DOMESTIC VIOLENCE then you may not be so flippant.... Angry

Been quite a few DV cases of late Cods that have ended in murder ... & not just of the spouse ...

care to enlighten me to the difference in those murders to the murders& torture committed in the name of Islam?

Murder is murder .... both are senseless acts of violence.

Perhaps you'd like to see more variety ...... like immolation, stoning etc?

As for "saving up the quote for months" ..  Grin Grin Grin

you give yourself too much credit. Take the tickets off yourself.

as for coming face to face with someone who has been a DV victim ....

How could you honestly know?

Just stupid assumption.

well ducky may I suggest you start your very own thread on TERRORIST domestic violence....

I am not interested....this thread is about our very OWN domestic violence problems...

you want to change the topic.. to get your own barbs in ..

start another thread and I will see if I can be bothered...

in the mean time you will waste you time clapping on about this....as I am not interested...

and I have come face to face with a victim of D.V..

my granddaughter was in a womens refuge for almost a year...she was attacked with a baseball bat  and when she got in the car with her 12 month old son in the back he smashed the windscreen...with the bat as well..

of course some on here wouldnt call the domestic violence.......thats just him being provoked... Angry Angry

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #188 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:48am

Gnads wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:16am:
Quote Grappler -

Quote:
A better approach, in my view, would be to remove the insulting and stigmatising term 'violence' from applications for AVOs etc.  That is a nonsense when over 95% of call-outs to NSW police over DV in 2011-12 resulted in no charges, and most accusations of 'violence' as put forward for the rubber stamp AVO etc are no such thing, but are themselves inflammatory.  Violence needs to be carefully defined - not just used as a catch-all for every situation, and as a useful re-defined tool to enable government to act where it has no real right.  That is why I advocate a first step as being a careful re-phrasing of this 'legislation' so as to properly define actions.

Totally agree Grap ....

they used to be called "Restraining Orders".

To set maria's mind at rest - I was the friend over many years of the sister of our incumbent **highly placed person** - she is a schizophrenic.  During one of her episodes, brought about by a rather unsavoury relationship with her then boss (well, I never), I did my usual thing and walked away until this settled down, and during that time away - I married someone else.

Meantime, this lady had commenced a  'rape support course' - and lo and behold, upon being advised that she could 'empower herself' by grabbing one of those toilet paper 'AVOs' against someone - sent two coppers to my door with a summons, even though I had had no contact with her for months.

In the 'court' I was treated with utter contempt and was not permitted to even raise evidence of her mental illness - and as a result was handed an AVO, which impacted on my security work and lead to a file raised on police CNI, as my somehow being a 'woman basher'.

The results were and are predictable and are in my auto-bio, which could perhaps have been titled - "Point of Departure".

This is the truth of this current insanity that prevails in all discussion of 'domestic violence' - it is a violent abrogation of rights pure and simple of men, and WILL be stopped.

Now - maria - would you suggest I fight online and on paper and in public or launch a guerrilla war?

Wake up, Australia - your rights to just be yourself and go about your lawful business in peace are being stolen from you at gunpoint.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #189 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:49am

cods wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:47am:
of course some on here wouldnt call the domestic violence.......thats just him being provoked... Angry Angry

Oh shut up.

^^^^ THIS is why it can't be talked about.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #190 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 10:55am

The real deal:-

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:25am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #191 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:01am

Quote:
my granddaughter was in a womens refuge for almost a year...she was attacked with a baseball bat  and when she got in the car with her 12 month old son in the back he smashed the windscreen...with the bat as well..

Why did he do it?

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #192 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:04am

Aussie wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:01am:
Quote:

Why did he do it?

Ah because he was a freaking maniacal control freak with a nasty temper?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Johnsmith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #193 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:11am

Gnads wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:44am:
Been quite a few DV cases of late Cods that have ended in murder ... & not just of the spouse ...

care to enlighten me to the difference in those murders to the murders& torture committed in the name of Islam?

in one they kill because of ideology, it's the same as extreme right wing nut jobs like breivik, the KKK or the nazis

domestic violence often results because the perp wants to control the other person or because of misplaced rage

When politicians offer you something for nothing, or something that sounds too good to be true, it's always worth taking a careful second look.
(Malcolm Turncoat)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #194 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:27am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:04am:
Aussie wrote on Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:01am:
Quote:

Why did he do it?

Ah because he was a freaking maniacal control freak with a nasty temper?

.. because he was a yob with a serious mental or drug problem, and your grand-daughter was foolish enough to think his 'bad boy' image was worthy of sex.

Some women never learn.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 46
Send Topic Print