Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hewson tells it like it is (Read 933 times)
Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Hewson tells it like it is
Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:56am

Former Liberal Opposition leader John Hewson says Malcolm Turnbull has been forced to shelve topics that made him popular with the public and now faces a "close contest" in the upcoming federal election.

Mr Turnbull threatened a double dissolution election on July 2 if the Senate failed to pass industrial relations bills and on Monday it was voted down.

While an election is yet to be officially called, many expect the campaign to begin now, and Mr Turnbull's performance in the top job was the main talking point on Monday night's Q&A.

Mr Hewson, an economist, said Mr Turnbull should have called a snap election shortly after he defeated Tony Abbott in September's leadership spill.

"I think he could have said, 'Look, I don't have a mandate', set some broad directions and I think he would have done very well in that election," he said.

"Since [taking office] of course his popularity has waned, his net satisfaction rating is now negative."

John Hewson says Bill Shorten's confidence is increasing.© ABCTV John Hewson says Bill Shorten's confidence is increasing.  Mr Hewson said the party machine forced Mr Turnbull to play down issues like gay marriage and climate change — topics that had made him popular before he became leader.

"Look, obviously Malcolm did a deal to get there and the deal he did actually compromised some of the basic positions that he'd previously held and held publicly," Mr Hewson said.

"I think it's a close contest. I think Shorten is a person who runs on confidence, he's had a bit of a boost to his confidence in recent days so he's looking slightly better while Turnbull's been struggling."

'Market testing' policy comes under fire

Award-winning journalist and author Caroline Overington said Mr Turnbull's tenure had been disappointing.

"He has a tendency to float out a policy and quickly withdraw it. It is an interesting tactic he uses, almost like market testing," she said.

Advertising expert Jane Caro said Mr Turnbull's tendancy to float ideas publicly "terrifies people".

"We haven't had a strong solid narrative from a leader for a very long time," she said.

"That's why we keep tossing them out because we don't know who they are or what they stands for, and they scare us."

Ewen Jones said Mr Turnbull wanted to include the states in the tax reform discussion.© ABC TV Ewen Jones said Mr Turnbull wanted to include the states in the tax reform discussion.  States to blame on tax reform: Liberal MP

However Liberal MP Ewen Jones backed the Prime Minister, jokingly saying the Government didn't look at opinion polls.

He cited Mr Turnbull's proposal to raise the GST, and subsequent rejection by the state premiers, as evidence the Prime Minister was dealing with an imbalanced system.

"The problem we have in this country is the balance - the government that spends the money doesn't raise the money," he said.

"I think the federation, as we see it, just isn't working."

Outgoing WA Labor MP Alannah MacTiernan said she expected Mr Turnbull to have performed better on the economic front.

"I have been astounded by how he just has not been able to grasp this economic stuff," she said.

The panel also discussed the 60 Minutes Beirut child abduction saga, the collapse of Queensland Nickel and whether public schools should receive more funding at the expense of their private counterparts.

On the topic of assisted suicide, Mr Hewson and Mr Jones said they wanted the Liberal Party to have a conscience vote.

Ms MacTiernan, who convenes the Parliament Dying with Dignity group, said more than 70 per cent of Australians supported the practise for the terminally ill.

"I just think it is time that we got up there and we were prepared to legislate," she said.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Re: Hewson tells it like it is
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:57am

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 6:14am

Which election did Hewson win?

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 6:20am

miketrees wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 6:14am:

Which election did you win?

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:32am

Hewson was psychologically damaged by losing the unloseable election.

he had always been a man who derived "ego" from external things.

I believe he had a ferrari??

He now appears to be "drawing state' from seeking the applause of the chattering classes.
This is very very low status and "validation seeking"

A true man, a real man, is on his mission in life and he is oblivious to the opinions of the "chattering classes"

Once you make "appeasement' your "lifes purpose" you are entering the realms of the "wandering ghosts",
You are, in fact, creating a living hell for yourself.

No one can ever "give" you something by their applause.
Not really.

John needs to re examine what it means to be a "superior male"

Trying to get jane Caro to approve of you is about as low as a man could get

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:45am

thats a tough one mike.

I think it was called THE UNLOSEABEL ONE. Grin Grin Grin Grin

and i am not sure WHY but they drag him out of hibernation every so often as if his opinion counts for anything .. but lefties like him...they like losers..

and hes good at beating up the Libs... that makes him even better.....a nasty loser.. Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:47am

hes not too good in the marriage stakes either.. another thing lefties dont mind... Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:21am

Hewson is just like every other former lib ... once they leave the party they develop a conscience and start to make some sense.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:36am

It's bad when all Liberal and Labor can offer is Turnbull and Shorten. Both are not PM material.

Let's hope both parties still have the labor disease and assassinate their leader in the next term.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:41am

____ wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:36am:
It's bad when all Liberal and Labor can offer is Turnbull and Shorten. Both are not PM material.

Let's hope both parties still have the labor disease and assassinate their leader in the next term.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh no.. I am agreeing with greenwhine..

no wait I think hes agreeing with me..

I have been saying it since Malc took over..

hes tainted..........we are stuck even worse than America....with two people who are not worthy of such a position....and we both know one of them will be crowned...it will be a crown of thorns but it will also be a COSTLY one...

they  may as well be robots the way they flock to give someone totally un worthy. the highest honor  in the land..

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:18am

cods wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:47am:
hes not too good in the marriage stakes either.. another thing lefties dont mind... Grin Grin Grin

Settle down cods, you are always on about that.

Nearly every family has a brother or sister divorced, it has nothing to do with left or right.

We should all consider ourselves lucky if ours survived.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:43am

Redmond Neck wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:18am:
Settle down cods, you are always on about that.

it's because they have nothing on the policy front so the only options to them are to scrape the bottom of the barrel

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:46am

cods wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:45am:

and i am not sure WHY but they drag him out of hibernation every so often as if his opinion counts for anything ..

Was there anything in particular that you disagree with him on?

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:57am

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:46am:

and i am not sure WHY but they drag him out of hibernation every so often as if his opinion counts for anything ..

She doesnt like him because he is a traitor that criticises the Libs.

(Did you only think lefties thought like that?)

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:05am

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:46am:

Only the fact he commented on Libs awful performance , truth hurts

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print