Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Greens ~ "Protect The Renters" (Read 1380 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Greens ~ "Protect The Renters"
Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:40am

Election 2016: Greens desire national standards to protect renters from 'horror stories'

The Greens desire a new national body to protect the rights of renters and improve the standard of rental properties after a survey on the party's website revealed "thousands of horror stories".

The party said nearly half of the 3190 tenants who responded to its survey reported that they were paying 50 per cent of their income on rent.

More than two-thirds said they paid at least 30 per cent – the level considered "rental stress". Nearly 1000 tenants said they felt unsafe in their rented home.

The third force in Australian politics wants Canberra to takeover responsibility for rental standards from the states by introducing a national tenancy act.

The national body would enforce minimum standards for properties, make it harder to evict tenants with little notice, usher in the option of leases longer than 12 months, and investigate ways to make rent "more stable and fair" by considering restrictions on increases.

The Greens would help landlords get their properties up to scratch by offering $500 per property for upgrades to meet the new standard, at a cost to the budget of $1 billion over 10 years.

It comes as experts call for an overhaul of renters' rights – including long-term leases and a standard right to do minor alterations – to reflect that following the housing a growing percentage of the population will rent for life.

Greens housing spokesman Scott Ludlam said: "We have national standards that cover our health and education system, work safety – even plastic chairs have a standard. Our housing system should be no different."

Fairfax Media this month reported that the percentage of the population in private rental properties increased from 18 to 26 per cent over the past 20 years.

The Greens said the Parliamentary Budget Office estimated the policy would cost $474 million over the next four years. They said it would be paid for by restricting negative gearing to existing investments and reducing exemptions to capital gains tax.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-green...

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Greens ~ "Protect The Renters"
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:56am

Nice one Green.

However on this planet its usually the renters that rip off the landlords

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:58am

Even MORE bureaucracy!

Just what we (don't) need!  Roll Eyes

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 12:19pm

____ wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:40am:
The party said nearly half of the 3190 tenants

____ wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:40am:
Fairfax Media this month reported that the percentage of the population in private rental properties increased from 18 to 26 per cent over the past 20 years.

Households in Australia  ~9m
26%of 9m - 2,340.000

And they only got 3190 to say they were unfairly treated?  About 0.14% of renters. You would think that if it was critical they would complain.

While it is deplorable it is not a national disgrace and doesn't need to be addressed nationally.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 12:40pm

What a dope you are Green
What do you think the renters will do if you get rid of negative gearin?
I'll be able to rent them my chook shed for $200 a week. Fetch your own water out of the creek.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 12:55pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:58am:
Even MORE bureaucracy!

I reckon Land Tax is responsible for high rents, funny how the renters whinge about negative gearing yet never say anything about Land Tax which they pay for with rent.

Abolishing land tax would see rental prices decrease.

Cracking down on negative gearing will see rents increase as investors move out of property.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 1:08pm

Settle down Baron,, the poor old greens can only handle one concept at a time.

I believe they are working on four legs good two legs bad at the moment.

(yes yes except for chickens I know)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 1:58pm

I could be wrong on this, I frequently am, but wasn't Land Tax one of the state taxes that were supposed to go with the introduction of GST? Stamp Duty certainly was.
The trouble is they set the GST too low - it should have been 15% to begin with, even though I dislike it philosophically. If you don't set your rates high enough at the start it just becomes impossible to change them.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 2:18pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I could be wrong on this, I frequently am, but wasn't Land Tax one of the state taxes that were supposed to go with the introduction of GST? Stamp Duty certainly was.
The trouble is they set the GST too low - it should have been 15% to begin with, even though I dislike it philosophically. If you don't set your rates high enough at the start it just becomes impossible to change them.

Land Tax rates were increased in NSW in 1998.

The Real Estate Institute said it would increase rents.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 2:33pm

miketrees wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:56am:
Nice one Green.

If that's the case then why are there so many here with investment properties willing to lease them out to people who are going to rip them off ??

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 2:41pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 12:55pm:
Even MORE bureaucracy!

I reckon Land Tax is responsible for high rents, funny how the renters whinge about negative gearing yet never say anything about Land Tax which they pay for with rent.

Cracking down on negative gearing will see rents increase as investors move out of property.

And when the investors move out of those properties who do you think will own and live in them ? Aliens ? Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 2:51pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 2:41pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 12:55pm:
Even MORE bureaucracy!

And when the investors move out of those properties who do you think will own and live in them ? Aliens ? Cheesy LOL

have you bought a house yet rustynail?

here are some in your price range-
google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tiny+houses+australia

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 3:16pm

it's landlords who need protection from renters, not the other way around. As it is the courts will almost ALWAYS side with the tenants. Even when the tenants are obviously in the wrong.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 4:18pm

If that's the case then why are there so many here with investment properties willing to lease them out to people who are going to rip them off ??

The bad tenants ,,, after trashing houses and not paying usually end up in government housing where we all pay for them.

Wised up landlords put lots of protections in place before accepting a tenant.

This is also something that increases rents

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 4:20pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 2:33pm:
miketrees wrote on Jun 19th, 2016 at 9:56am:
Nice one Green.

you think tenants tell you when they apply that they're going to scam you? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print