Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Brushes with fame
Reply #135 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:03pm

cods wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 8:52pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 1st, 2016 at 7:41am:
AiA wrote on Aug 1st, 2016 at 7:37am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 31st, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Well, there is a well-known actor whose mother I've 'dated' - not making any claims here....

Olivia de Havilland just turned 100.

Jesus Christ. Still alive? That's cruel. I saw a photo of Zsa Zsa Gabor when she was in her nineties, and I'm still suffering from Flashbacks and undergoing treatment for PTSD.

It's a privilege to grow to a grand old age....some like Princess Di. dont even get half way..

Why the need to knock age...what so wrong with living to 100.... Angry

My aunty died last week in a tragic accident.

She was 70.

Now 70 sounds pretty old to me, but the truth is my aunty looked young and led a very active life. The only tablets she took were vitamins.

Anyway....

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #136 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:08pm

Trying to pump oneself up by skiting about "meeting" so-called famous people is beyond the pale. Smells of bogan wannabe to me. Grin

I have never "met" any so-called famous people. I don't consider my friends and acquaintances as "famous", they are just normal people, to me.  Tongue

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #137 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:09pm

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #138 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:12pm

Neferti wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:08pm:
Trying to pump oneself up by skiting about "meeting" so-called famous people is beyond the pale. Smells of bogan wannabe to me. Grin

I have never "met" any so-called famous people. I don't consider my friends and acquaintances as "famous", they are just normal people, to me.  Tongue

hey I am famous nef.... you just dont know me thats all...

famous or infamous that is the question...

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #139 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:13pm

Well some of us had famous people as neighbours, uni lecturers, fellow students and work colleagues.

We can't help it that these people were famous or that they were just there....in our lives  Undecided Huh

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #140 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:32pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:13pm:

Well some of us had famous people as neighbours, uni lecturers, fellow students and work colleagues.

We can't help it that these people were famous or that they were just there....in our lives  Undecided Huh

Exactly. IF you have friends and neighbours who you consider "normal" they are ONLY "famous" to the bogans, everyone else considers them friends and neighbours  .... get it?

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #141 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:34pm

cods wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:12pm:

Yes, you are Cods .... I'd know you anywhere by the tiara.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #142 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:36pm

Neferti wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:32pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:13pm:

Exactly. IF you have friends and neighbours who you consider "normal" they are ONLY "famous" to the bogans, everyone else considers them friends and neighbours ... get it?

Ah.

i

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #143 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 10:04pm

Well done ... you have friends and neighbours who are equal to you ... there is no need to expand on who lives next door and to call them "famous", otherwise you are belittling yourself.  Smiley

I have met and know many well-known people  ...  dropping names is NOT a great way to keep friends.  Wink

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #144 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 10:12pm

Neferti wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 10:04pm:
Well done ... you have friends and neighbours who are equal to you ... there is no need to expand on who lives next door and to call them "famous", otherwise you are belittling yourself.  Smiley

I have met and know many well-known people  ...  dropping names is NOT a great way to keep friends.  Wink

Smiley

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 11:56pm

Have to agree with this.

Grin Grin

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #146 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:39am

Neferti wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:34pm:
cods wrote on Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:12pm:

Yes, you are Cods .... I'd know you anywhere by the tiara.  Grin Grin

recognition is so rewarding....you have no idea..

every once in a while I pop down to woollies in my slippers... and blow me down I often catch someone looking at me really hard.....

you know in that cute.... is it.. or isnt it  fashion...

I often rush up and autograph their t/shirt or whatever...

they look so surprised its lovely..

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #147 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:31am

Back in the 90s, I ended up in a lift with Nick Greiner quite a few times.  The conversation, when there was one, never went beyond saying good morning or afternoon though.

On a more interesting note, around 1970 or so, I attended Gaelic classes in St Stephen's Church in Sydney that were organised by a long defunct Scottish society.  There were not a lot of us - we started with about a dozen but the numbers slowly dwindled and the classes ceased after two years.  Included in our group were John Douglas Pringle, a former editor of the Sydney Morning Herald, and the poet Les Murray, two very interesting people.

When the man who gave the classes passed away, Les Murray wrote a poem about him, the "Elegy for Angus Macdonald of Cnoclinn”.  Angus Macdonald was almost certainly the last fully-trained seanachaidh (or, in its Anglicised spelling, shenachie).  A Seanachaidh combined the roles of genealogist, historian, documenter of events and agreements, and a holder of the poems, literature and folk tales, all committed to memory.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:55am by Wolseley »  

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #148 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:11pm

Same old descent into personal slagging.... oh, well...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print