Australian Politics

Around
Re: Brushes with fame
Reply #45 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 11:57am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 9:11pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 9:08pm:
Oh yeah, I played an extra once.

A movie being made in Melbourne.

Got to meet ... Jesus, can't remember his name.  Will have to google it.

William H. Macy!

A nice dude.

Strangely, he seemed nervous on set (out front of Parliament House in Melbourne).

Reckon he is one of the most under rated actors. Great in Fargo and bloody funny in the American remake of Shameless.

Didn't mind him as the Shoveler in Mystery Men though Raven didn't like the movie

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #46 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:09pm

issuevoter wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 5:35pm:
I have never met any famous person, and if they tell you they have met me, I will deny it.

So you havent met Brian Ross FFS?

You werent on his bigger than yours list!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2016 at 2:01pm by Redmond Neck »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:16pm

Raven wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 11:57am:

William H. Macy!

A nice dude.

Strangely, he seemed nervous on set (out front of Parliament House in Melbourne).

Reckon he is one of the most under rated actors. Great in Fargo and bloody funny in the American remake of Shameless.

I agree.

Fargo was excellent, but I haven't seen Shameless yet.

I'll check it out on Netflix.

He was good in The Lincoln Lawyer too.

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:23pm by greggerypeccary »  

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #48 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:38pm

I was in Womens day for calling Michelle Bridges a D grade celeb.

Fun times.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:46pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:38pm:

Fun times.

She must be.

I had to google her name.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Symphony XtraOrdinary

Rockhampton
Reply #50 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:35pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:46pm:

Fun times.

She must be.

She features as a trainer for that weight loss program "The Biggest Loser". If you have not seen her channel 10's endless promotion of her show, or her weight loss plans being advertised, then you probably have boycotted channel 10. And perhaps you advert your eyes at the magazine stands, too.

At this stage...
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:51pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:35pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:46pm:

Fun times.

She must be.

She features as a trainer for that weight loss program "The Biggest Loser". If you have not seen her channel 10's endless promotion of her show, or her weight loss plans being advertised, then you probably have boycotted channel 10. And perhaps you advert your eyes at the magazine stands, too.

I've seen the show advertised, but I had no idea who hosted it.

To tell the truth, I don't watch a lot of Channel 10.

As far as fame goes, she seems to be a D grade celeb (if that).

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #52 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 12:18am

Raven wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 11:57am:

William H. Macy!

A nice dude.

Didn't mind him as the Shoveler in Mystery Men though Raven didn't like the movie

I agree - he is a very good actor and very under-rated.  Not overly handsome and tall it seems.... well, Mel is only 5'8".  Macy is the kind of actor who 'is' the part rather than being a person imposed on the part....

My personal favourites are Tommy Lee Jones and Sam Elliott, both of whom my grand-children's grandmother (the first cousin of A Hollywood Director) has worked with at times, along with JC Van Damme and a lot of others, including the late Bob Hoskins (nice bloke).  My daughter has worked with Johnny Depp. Both Tommy and Sam are fabulous guys. As for the ladies, Nicole is a good actress who holds a part well, and I do miss Meryl Streep.  And Kylie IS a very nice lady.

Oh - a gentleman does not make claims nor does he name names too much.  People over-exposed to the limelight actually appreciate that..... and yes, I once worked with Jack.

But then - here I am anonymous.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2016 at 12:29am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #53 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 2:13am

Gordon wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 4:04pm:
Michael Caton lived a couple of streets away from me in Bondi, once I was a few behind him walking to the beach and we passed a beat up old backpackers AE Foulcoon with a price tag that was very optimistic. I saw him looking at it and grinning, he saw me looking at it and at the same time we both said  'tell him he's dreamin'.

Oh the serenity!
I think it's time to go and get a photo in front of that famous house next to the airport.
Apparently, I saw on tv a few months back, it is going to be demolished and new units put up.
So in the meantime.....get your dressing gown on, ugh boots, and the trading post under your arm, then pose outside "that" castle!

http://www.domain.com.au/news/the-castle-up-for-rent-20100721-10k55/

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 2:37am

I recall meeting a few famous people, the first one was Brian Naylor, he used to do the news, and always finish off saying "And may your news be good news"...
Before he was a newsreader, he used to host a children's talent show called "Brian Naylors Swallows Juniors", I was about 12 when I met him, and as my dad would brag about my musical abilities, Brian would suggest for me to go on the TV show....well that freaked me out, I realized how much stage fright I would have!
Music talent I had, but to have the confidence to go on national tv?
When faced with something like that (I know it's opportunity)....might have been famous...loll...

You all know how he and his wife perished in the awful Black Saturday fires in Kinglake in 2009? Very sad, he was a really lovely man, and even though he had the state of the art fire fighting equipment....something went terribly wrong.

Anyway, more famous people along the way, as I worked in the city, would often see them in Myers.

I do recall when the Queen came to Melbourne, with crowds waiting to see her drive past with her wave, all I see was a green hat go past!

I met Peter Brock, at Richmond Technical College, he was a guest speaker, back in 1976 (hubby was getting his apprentice certificate).

Peter had long hair, tight staggers jeans, and could he talk! Shocked
I guess I thought of him as a motor mouth.
But one thing I do remember he said, when you are driving, is to always leave room for error.

I also met the then Victorian Premier, Jeff Kennett at one of the political rallies in our locality.

And as my daughter and hubby got into doing some extras work in the acting field.....met a few more local and international stars.

They really do get treated like royalty.

The most memorable part in a movie the hubby got, was he had to be like an inmate, and they made the then Telstra Done, in the locker room area, like a jail.....for the movie "Underbelly"
My daughter was being offered a regular part in the movie, to be the girlfriend, semi naked, and she refused, then they came back saying wearing a bikini...she still refused, and we balked, asking why?
She said she didn't want to associate with what the series was about, oh gosh  Shocked I was so annoyed. Another 'almost famous' situation  Grin

The most recent person I met a few months ago was Brian Cadd, during fashion week, as the daughter was a model and I was taking photos, so too was Brian.
Then I asked later if I could take a photo of him, and he says, "lets have a selfie together"  Cool
Well I did post that up on my fb saying "Guess who is in the photo with me!"  Grin

I will probably remember more once I sign off, I can't sleep tonight, I think these new blood pressure tabs keep me from wanting to sleep?

Finally had to succumb to getting onto them  Embarrassed
I said to the Doc, I don't feel anything, and she said that's why high blood pressure is called the silent killer  Sad

Oh well, at least I am enjoying catching up reading what everyone is writing about Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2016 at 2:44am by Sophia »  

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #55 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:22am

About four years ago at the NRA Annual meeting I had a yellow lab dog come up to me in the convention hall. He was several feet ahead of his owner just checking things out and I was able to visit with both of them. I've forgotten the dogs name but his owner is Marcus Luttrell, an American hero and a true gentleman.

While in Las Vegas we saw Penn and Teller who at the end of their show walked up the isles to the lobby where they visited with the audience and posed for pictures. I have pictures of my wife and her best friend with Penn Jillette and listened to Teller talk non stop the whole time.

The only difference between a Communist and a Democrat is the spelling.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #56 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:42am

Redmond Neck wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 2:17pm:
What have been your brushes with fame?

The wife and I met Gough Whitlam in a gallery in Venice in 1998 and had a chat, my missus said

"Hello Mr Whitlam, we are from Australia!"

"He said in a sort of condescending manner "I know that!"

Anyway overall the chat was friendly though!

You should have shirt-fronted him for being on a junket on the taxpayers' dime.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:03am

John Smith wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 2:43pm:
Saw Kamahl waiting at an airport once .... every time someone walked in his direction you could see him tense and prepare himself waiting for them to ask for an autograph or just acknowledge him ... he looked soooo disappointed when they kept walking straight past without a glimer of recognition ... I couldn't help but laugh.
After about an hour of this I felt so sorry for him I was going to ask him for his autograph just to make him feel good, but they called my flight.

That was the first time I realised just how desperately some celebrities crave fame ... he looked rather pathetic.

No wonder so many celebrities turn to drugs and alcohol or suicide

Interesting, but I'm sure you misread his body-language. It would be one of the major down-sides of being a celebrity ... those idiots who selfishly and inconsiderately pester them for autographs and 'selfies' while they're trying to live a normal life when they're not performing.

The first thing celebrities do is buy the sort of residential property with high walls that keeps these inconsiderate pests at bay.

One thing about Kamahl that I learnt only after he had faded back into anonymity is that he had spent his entire career here in Australia with a huge chip on his shoulder for being paranoid and resentful about 'racism' directed at him and his son. I wonder in what form he found this 'racism'.

Beautiful rich voice - I liked the fellow.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #58 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:14am

Gordon wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 10:03am:
Used to, in a totally different industry now.

Got fired when they discovered you're not a Far Leftwing luvvie with a hard-on for trash-talking everything right of Che Guevara.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:21am

William H. Macy!

A nice dude.

A freaky-looking guy, but I always enjoyed his movies. Damned good actor.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print