Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm not saying its hot but ... (Read 957 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

I'm not saying its hot but ...
Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:10pm

The people of Australia are whining and pining for their beloved cold weather.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2016/08/16/warm-august-winter-australia/

Quote:
Much of Australia is experiencing an “exceptional” record run of steamy August weather as experts tip 2016 to be the warmest year since records began.

This week has been the warmest for this time of year in south-east Australia since 2011, Weatherzone told The New Daily, despite winter not ending until the end of the month.

That news came as NASA data showed July 2016 was the hottest month in recorded history around the world.

The space agency also reported that the past nine months up to July 2016 had already set temperature records for their respective months.

NASA calculated that July 2016 was 0.84C warmer than the 1950-1980 global average.

The previous record month was a tie between July 2011 and July 2015.

NASA’s chief climate scientist Gavin Schmidt tweeted that following the July 2016 data release, there was “still a 99 per cent chance” of 2016 being the hottest year ever.

If 2016 is the hottest year on record, it would beat the record set in 2015, for warmest year ever.

The NASA data comes after Monday’s Q&A program where One Nation Senator-elect Malcolm Roberts claimed the space agency tampered with climate figures.

He argued that NASA did so to exaggerate the danger of global warming, an argument that bemused fellow panelist and renowned scientist Dr Brian Cox.

Australia feels the heat

Weatherzone’s senior meteorologist Brett Dutschke told The New Daily that August warmth was becoming a trend.

“The last few Augusts have had some exceptionally warm days, for example Sydney got to 28C one day last year,” Mr Dutschke said.

“Temperatures look to be three to eight degrees above the August average in south-east Australia this week.

warm august winter australia

“It’s the run of warm days that is fairly exceptional, it is basically the warmest spell for this time since 2011 in south-east Australia.”

He said it had, or would, last four or five days, for most parts of south-east Australia, including the capitals.

Mr Dutschke also said Australia had endured its own record-breaking run.

“The last 12 months to the end of July has been the warmest 12-month period on record Australia-wide,” he said.

He also confirmed what many other experts tipped regarding 2016 being the hottest year ever for the globe.

“There is a good chance that 2016 will be the warmest on record, it is almost certain to be in the top few warmest,” Mr Dutschke said.

Warm forecast

Sydney will remain between 22C and 24C for the rest of this week, while a similar run of temperatures in Adelaide will end by Friday.

Melbourne’s sunny run of 17C (Monday) and 18C (Tuesday) will dip to 16C on Wednesday but will rise again to 19C on Thursday.

On Tuesday, Hobart had its warmest day (19C) for early August in seven years, Mr Dutschke said. Thursday would also be warm (17C). Canberra’s warmer days will come on Thursday (18C) and Friday (17C).

Brisbane will be in the low 20s all week while Darwin will be in the 30s. Perth was 20C on Tuesday and will stay rainy and in the high teens through the week.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I'm not saying its hot but ...
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:24pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:10pm:
Much of Australia is experiencing an “exceptional” record run of steamy August weather as experts tip 2016 to be the warmest year since records began.

This week has been the warmest for this time of year in south-east Australia since 2011,

Good to know Southeast Australia is much of Australia. How much 12.5%?

If 2016 is the hottest year on record, it would beat the record set in 2015, for warmest year ever.

Except that 1997 was 3.83ºF warmer than 2015. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

We've gone through two ton of firewood this winter. Warm it is not.  Oh, that's right I don't live in the south-east.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:26pm

Unfathomable New Zealand North Island Snow and Wind |
Mini Ice Age 2015-2035 (203)

Published on Aug 15, 2016

The north island of New Zealand which receives a dusting of snow every 15 years or so, was pummeled with 3 feet and 120 mph winds over the last week. So rare was the event that the word Unfathomable was used in the media.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:27pm

Meanwhile, over here in Perth:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/perth-on-track-for-coldest-win...

Sure feels like it, that's for sure. Rain and small hail forecast for today and tomorrow.

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:32pm

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/wa-storm-homes-damaged-roads-blocked-in-perth...

WA storm: Homes damaged, roads blocked in Perth as winds, rain hit South West

Wednesday August 17, 2016 - 19:23 EST

Audience submitted image
The Monaghans Boat Ramp in Busselton has flooded amid the storm. - Audience submitted

Tree branches and flooding have blocked roads in Perth while a house has lost its roof north-west of the city, with strong winds and heavy rain lashing Western Australia's South West.

Several thousand homes in the metropolitan area were without power late on Wednesday afternoon.

A strong cold front moving across the region has sparked a severe weather warning for people in a line from Jurien Bay to Southern Cross to Esperance, including the Perth metropolitan area.

A house lost its roof in Bindoon, north-west of Perth, in the stormy weather, the State Emergency Service (SES) said.

The SES said some homes in Belmont and Ascot also lost roof tiles, and said it had received 17 calls for assistance.

Western Power said 9,000 homes were without power in Perth at 5:00pm.

Fallen trees and loose debris have knocked over several powerlines.

The worst affected suburbs include Mount Hawthorn, Glendalough, Beechboro, Brabham and Chidlow.

Earlier, the left lane of the Kwinana Freeway northbound after the Canning Highway was affected by flooding, while in Subiaco tree branches blocked parts of Thomas Street.

The Bureau of Meteorology 9BoM) said a wind gust of 96 kilometres per hour was recorded at Cape Leeuwin at 8:20am, while a gust of 94km/h was recorded at Rottnest almost an hour earlier.

The BoM said the cold front was located from Geraldton to Albany at 1:00pm.

"Severe weather is expected to extend east across the South West Land Division during Wednesday afternoon with the passage of the front and be throughout the warning area by around 5pm," a BoM statement said.

It warned damaging wind gusts of up to 125km an hour may come through the region.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:33pm

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/taste-of-spring-teasing-nsw-tentatively/52481...

Taste of spring teasing NSW tentatively
Kim Westcott, Tuesday August 16, 2016 - 16:06 EST

This week has been dry and sunny, with the bulk of New South Wales basking in unseasonable warmth, but it is all about to change.

During Friday, a strong cold front will drop temperatures markedly. Ahead of the front, a warm northwesterly wind will push the mercury up to a pleasant mid-twenties over much of northern and central NSW, including Bourke and Sydney. Then that front will shave five-to-ten degrees off temperatures in about a day.

Aside from the cold burst, modest rainfall totals will accompany the change. We will see falls of 10-to-25 millimetres across much of the south and generally five-to-15mm in the north.

For the Riverina, this rainfall event is likely to push the August rainfall totals into the above-average range. In the Upper and Lower Western districts, this rain will further increase the monthly surplus.

From Sunday a ridge of high pressure will build behind the system. This will bring the return to dry and mostly sunny conditions through the day, but a repeat of chilly and frosty mornings.

These settled conditions will be short lived, with indications of a much more intense rain-bearing system reaching the state by about mid-week.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 5:38am

What the hell is Unforgiven on about? It was a warm winter. But it is by no means the warmest winter I have ever had. I still have to wrap myself under a doona to keep warm at night. It was a mild summer, and we did not experience a great deal of rainfall.  I would assume that this year is going to be a mild year. Considering that we are likely to see a heavier rainfall rain season this year, we won't be getting those heatwaves for very long, if at all.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 9:01am

You know what its all about.

When the weather is cold its.........CLIMATE CHANGE, ICE AGE BROUGHT ON BY MAN.

When the weather is hot its...........GLOBAL WARMING, BROUGHT ON BY MAN.

When its raining its.....................CLIMATE CHANGE , WE ARE AL DOOMED

When its dry for more than three days its......CLIMATE CHANGE THERE WILL NEVER BE RAIN AGAIN.

It must be so hard running around all the time looking for a reason to scream and cry "WE ARE ALL DOOMED"

When in trouble.
Or in doubt
Run in circles
Scream and shout

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 2:06pm

2016 is headed to become the hottest year to date in temperature records.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/july-makes-15-record-hot-months-in-a-row-2061...

Quote:
The record-hot July maintains 2016’s position as the warmest year-to-date by far and makes it more likely that it will stay that way through year’s end. It also shows just how much global temperatures have risen over the last century, as they stay close to 1.5˚C above preindustrial temperatures.

In NOAA’s dataset, July was 1.57°F (0.87˚C) warmer than the 20th century average. By NASA’s reckoning, it was 1.27˚F (0.84˚C) hotter than the 1951-1980 average. Different agencies use different baselines and different methods of handling the temperature data, which leads to small variations in the monthly temperature numbers, though all are in agreement on the long-term trend in warming and how intensely hot this year has been globally.

Flirting with the 1.5°C Threshold
For the year-to-date, the planet is 1.85°F (1.03˚C) warmer than the 20th century average, according to NOAA, 0.34°F (0.19˚C) ahead of last year by this point. It was 1.9˚F (1.06˚C) hotter than the 1951-1980 average according to NASA, which is 0.45˚F (0.25˚C) ahead of the same time last year.

With forecasts for La Niña, which tends to cool global temperatures, suggesting the event may arrive later and be weaker than previously predicted, there will likely be less of an effect on temperatures this year. That makes it more likely that temperatures for the remainder of the year will stay warm enough to keep 2016 in first place, ahead of the current hottest year on record, 2015.

Efforts to curb global warming have aimed at limiting the Earth’s temperature rise to less than 2˚C (3.6˚F) above preindustrial times by the end of the century, though there are talks of trying to meet a more aggressive target of 1.5˚C.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 6:19pm

'The global average temperature of 62.45 degrees Fahrenheit for 1997 was the warmest year on record'

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremeevents/specialreports/Climate-of-1997-Annual-Glo...

' the average global temperature across land and ocean surface areas for 2015 was 0.90°C (1.62°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C 57.0°F)'

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201513

1997 - 62.45ºF

2015 - 1.62ºF + 57.0ºF = 58.62ºF

2015 was 3.83ºF cooler than 1997.

It doesn't matter what you do with the baseline it doesn't alter the absolute temperatures, just te anomalies. Wink

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:02pm

How to Thrive in the New Solar Minimum,

Rick Monday interviews David DuByne of Adapt 2030

Published on Jun 18, 2015

Thriving in the New Solar Minimum
Rick Monday interviews David DuByne from Adapt 2030 on how to prosper and thrive in the new Grand Solar Minimum which has already begun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print