Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Liberals face oblivion (Read 2251 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Liberals face oblivion
Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:58am

Angus Taylor calls for NSW reforms, says Liberals 'outmuscled' by Labor's grassroots ability

The Liberal Party faces "oblivion" unless its reforms its biggest state branch by taking power out of the hands of factional leaders, Government frontbencher Angus Taylor says.

In a speech to the Sydney Institute last night, Mr Taylor, the Assistant Minister for Cities, warned the recent election result showed the Liberal Party is being outmuscled by Labor's ability to organise grassroots supporters.

He blamed "powerbrokers" in the New South Wales branch who use arcane rules to amass voting blocks they can control, while excluding rank-and-file supporters from meaningful involvement in the party.

"We have been able to win recent state and federal elections without democratising," he said.

"I think it's going to be very difficult to continue to win elections without democratising."

He said in his electorate, many Liberal supporters are prevented from even joining the party due to branches that won't accept new members.

"Others would like to start up new branches … to get around the rejection of membership applications," he said.

"But for various reasons it's just to hard to get these new branches up and running."

Mr Taylor also spoke of "paper branches" in his speech, which are being allowed to form despite not having a direct connection to rank-and-file supporters.

"These branches are controlled by power brokers whose members rarely attend meetings, but they create voting delegates whose votes can be controlled," he said.

Mr Taylor said it is a situation which helps explain why outer-suburban voters in New South Wales abandoned the Liberal Party at the last election.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-07/liberal-party-faces-oblivion-outmuscled-by...

When will all you numbnuts from the right wake up ? Get rid of the faceless men before they get rid of all of you

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Liberals face oblivion
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 8:50am

Strewth Mr Smith,

you really did go to one of those Lefty Revivalist meetings where they chant "Labor won the Election, Labor won the Election..."

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:08am

juliar wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 8:50am:
Strewth Mr Smith,

you really did go to one of those Lefty Revivalist meetings where they chant "Labor won the Election, Labor won the Election..."

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:09am

Yes, Politically Correct Bammy, good self analysis.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:12am

John Smith wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:58am:
Angus Taylor calls for NSW reforms, says Liberals 'outmuscled' by Labor's grassroots ability

The Liberal Party faces "oblivion" unless its reforms its biggest state branch by taking power out of the hands of factional leaders, Government frontbencher Angus Taylor says.

In a speech to the Sydney Institute last night, Mr Taylor, the Assistant Minister for Cities, warned the recent election result showed the Liberal Party is being outmuscled by Labor's ability to organise grassroots supporters.

He blamed "powerbrokers" in the New South Wales branch who use arcane rules to amass voting blocks they can control, while excluding rank-and-file supporters from meaningful involvement in the party.

"We have been able to win recent state and federal elections without democratising," he said.

"I think it's going to be very difficult to continue to win elections without democratising."

He said in his electorate, many Liberal supporters are prevented from even joining the party due to branches that won't accept new members.

"Others would like to start up new branches … to get around the rejection of membership applications," he said.

"But for various reasons it's just to hard to get these new branches up and running."

Mr Taylor also spoke of "paper branches" in his speech, which are being allowed to form despite not having a direct connection to rank-and-file supporters.

"These branches are controlled by power brokers whose members rarely attend meetings, but they create voting delegates whose votes can be controlled," he said.

Mr Taylor said it is a situation which helps explain why outer-suburban voters in New South Wales abandoned the Liberal Party at the last election.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-07/liberal-party-faces-oblivion-outmuscled-by...

When will all you numbnuts from the right wake up ? Get rid of the faceless men before they get rid of all of you

The NSW Liberals won't even consider badly-needed party reform until they get smashed at an election. The problem with the conservative mind is they are slow to change. As along as they are winning elections, they won't see the problem.

The NSW Liberals will have their day of reckoning. It is inevitable due to the endemic corruption within the party.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:13am

juliar wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:09am:
Yes, Politically Correct Bammy, good self analysis.

... of your post.

What part of "YOUR" do you not understand, Liberal party troll?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:17am

Strewth Mr Smith,

if you'd learnt to read you'd see it was a liberal party member who was making the claims, not me ... take Bams advice, pull your head out of your arse and try to get some fresh air.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:24am

Strewth Mr Smith,

I believe they handle deadly venomous snakes at these knees-up to demonstrate their trust that God Labor will protect them from harm due to they're being True Believers.

It's John's proud boast that he's so Far Left he has never been bitten.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:27am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:24am:
I believe they handle deadly venomous snakes at these knees-up to demonstrate their trust that God Labor will protect them from harm due to they're being True Believers.

I know how much you love me Herb but it wasn't me making the claims, it was a lib. Now do you want to comment on the actual topic or do you plan on deflecting to me all the way through?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:35am

John Smith wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:27am:

I know how much you love me Herb but it wasn't me making the claims, it was a lib. Now do you want to comment on the actual topic or do you plan on deflecting to me all the way through?

The Liberals are definitely going through an identity crisis - but perhaps it will prove to be all for the best if the Rightwing of the Libs ends up taking over the helm, with Turnbull being relegated to the sidelines.

Better still, the fuzzy appearance of the Libs under Leftwinger Turnbull may eventually give rise to the resurrection of a genuine Australian Conservative Party.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:39am

Strewth Mr Smith,

You have missed the point. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction coming out of the NSW branch of the Liberal party for a while now. There have been many issues revealed with the NSW Liberals - over a dozen NSW Liberal MPs fronting ICAC over corruption allegations, the electoral commission withholding $4 million from the NSW Liberals because they refused to account for donations, laundering money through front companies from prohibited donors, Abbott refusing to allow a forensic audit of the books of the NSW Liberals after irregularities were found - the list of problems is quite large.

That branch is the most corrupt branch of any political party in Australia right now and it's only a matter of time before the smoke of dissatisfaction turns into a conflagration.

Now you can discuss these issues or keep posting inane deflections and personal attacks. Your choice, but remember this - if rank-and-file members of the Liberal party remain complacent and do not act on the gross mismanagement, cronyism and corruption within the NSW Liberals, the day of reckoning will come, and when it does it will be as bad for the NSW Liberals as the 2011 NSW election was for NSW Labor, or worse.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:42am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:35am:
The Liberals are definitely going through an identity crisis - but perhaps it will prove to be all for the best if the Rightwing of the Libs ends up taking over the helm, with Turnbull being relegated to the sidelines.

the libs problems started WHEN the right wing of the liberal party took over the helm and put Abbott in charge. The libs need to eradicate the gangrene from the right of the party if it wants any long term stability

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:51am

John Smith wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:42am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:35am:

the libs problems started WHEN the right wing of the liberal party took over the helm and put Abbott in charge. The libs need to eradicate the gangrene from the right of the party if it wants any long term stability

Libs traditional voter base is RWNJs , bernadi is trying to steer the course back to their core values thus attracting the knuckle draggers back from voting for the Hanson Ala patriot parties , Turnbull would be better off being leader of Labor party with his idealogies , there is no place for a moderate in the Libs.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:01am

Its time wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:51am:
Libs traditional voter base is RWNJs ,

nah ... don't agree . Menzies wasn't far right. He had a great social conscience.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:02am

Bam wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:39am:
Strewth Mr Smith,

You have missed the point. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction coming out of the NSW branch of the Liberal party for a while now. There have been many issues revealed with the NSW Liberals - over a dozen NSW Liberal MPs fronting ICAC over corruption allegations, the electoral commission withholding $4 million from the NSW Liberals because they refused to account for donations, laundering money through front companies from prohibited donors, Abbott refusing to allow a forensic audit of the books of the NSW Liberals after irregularities were found - the list of problems is quite large.

That branch is the most corrupt branch of any political party in Australia right now and it's only a matter of time before the smoke of dissatisfaction turns into a conflagration.

Now you can discuss these issues or keep posting inane deflections and personal attacks. Your choice, but remember this - if rank-and-file members of the Liberal party remain complacent and do not act on the gross mismanagement, cronyism and corruption within the NSW Liberals, the day of reckoning will come, and when it does it will be as bad for the NSW Liberals as the 2011 NSW election was for NSW Labor, or worse.

Excellent post. Well said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print