Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Liberals face oblivion (Read 2252 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Liberals face oblivion
Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:05am

John Smith wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:42am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:35am:
The Liberals are definitely going through an identity crisis - but perhaps it will prove to be all for the best if the Rightwing of the Libs ends up taking over the helm, with Turnbull being relegated to the sidelines.

the libs problems started WHEN the right wing of the liberal party took over the helm and put Abbott in charge. The libs need to eradicate the gangrene from the right of the party if it wants any long term stability

I don't give a rat's arse about the sustainability of ANY of these parties that are 'conservative' only on economic issues while being Far Left on social issues.

Not a rat's arse.

I don't give a sh*t about the political careers of these former solicitors and bankers for as long as they refuse to represent majority opinion on a whole range of social issues.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:08am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:05am:
Not a rat's arse.

in that case,

vote 1. Ronald McDonald

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:10am

John Smith wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:08am:
Not a rat's arse.

in that case,

vote 1. Ronald McDonald

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image

Please stick to the thread topic, Johnno ... there's a good lad.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:11am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:10am:
Not a rat's arse.

in that case,

vote 1. Ronald McDonald

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image

Please stick to the thread topic, Johnno ... there's a good lad.

I did.  Wink

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:14am

Not a rat's arse.

in that case,

vote 1. Ronald McDonald

http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/1/1/p/q/i/3/image.related.articleLeadwi...

Grin

Not bad. I get it now.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:23pm

Liberal MP Angus Taylor tells Malcolm Turnbull NSW branch reform can't wait

Quote:
Liberal MP Angus Taylor has urged Malcolm Turnbull to throw his support behind the democratic reform of the party's NSW branch, warning it needs to come now.

Speaking to Lateline, the Assistant Minister for Cities said the party could not afford to wait after its performance at July's election.

"The Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull wants to see an energised and a motivated membership base in NSW … we all want that," he said.

"And if that's the objective, my point is, democratic reform … giving more power to the membership base, the ability to vote for their local representatives, is the solution to that problem."

In a speech to the Sydney Institute last night, Mr Taylor warned the Liberal Party would face "oblivion" unless more power was given to its rank and file members to vote on preselection.

Earlier today, former prime minister John Howard told the National Press Club there was a view among Sydney Liberals that preselections in safe seats were "near to a closed shop".

He said he agreed with Mr Taylor that the preselection system needed to be altered, adding it would take the support of both the Prime Minister and NSW Premier Mike Baird to make it happen.

"It needs their influence to bring about change, it won't happen otherwise," he said.

'We can't wait for change': Taylor

In January, the ABC reported Mr Taylor was one of several MPs targeted by powerbrokers within the NSW Liberal branch, who were planning to unseat sitting members during preselection.

It was understood Mr Taylor received a phone call from Mr Turnbull at the time expressing his support.

When asked if Mr Turnbull had indicated whether he would help drive the reform in the NSW branch, Mr Taylor told Lateline the Prime Minister had "indicated to everybody … he wants an energised Liberal Party in NSW".

"With the support of people like John Howard — Arthur Sinodinos has made it very clear what his views are on this — Mike Baird and others, and the view that the Prime Minister wants to see an energised membership base, I'm confident that these changes should and will happen in time, and it needs to be relatively quickly," he said.

"We can't wait for this, we do need now a membership base who are readily out there barracking for us."

The Hume MP said he did not agree with former party member John Ruddick, who earlier told the ABC that Mr Turnbull had been a "strident campaigner against democratic reform".

"I don't think that's right," Mr Taylor said.

He also denied the problems within the NSW branch stemmed from a factional divide within the Liberal Party.

"In any organisation, there's groupings of people who work to further their interests," he said.

"The system's responsible for it. We have a system that allows power to be centralised … so the drawbridge can be brought up."

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:27pm

Bam wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:23pm:

Quote:
Liberal MP Angus Taylor has urged Malcolm Turnbull to throw his support behind the democratic reform of the party's NSW branch, warning it needs to come now.

Speaking to Lateline, the Assistant Minister for Cities said the party could not afford to wait after its performance at July's election.

"The Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull wants to see an energised and a motivated membership base in NSW … we all want that," he said.

"And if that's the objective, my point is, democratic reform … giving more power to the membership base, the ability to vote for their local representatives, is the solution to that problem."

In a speech to the Sydney Institute last night, Mr Taylor warned the Liberal Party would face "oblivion" unless more power was given to its rank and file members to vote on preselection.

Earlier today, former prime minister John Howard told the National Press Club there was a view among Sydney Liberals that preselections in safe seats were "near to a closed shop".

He said he agreed with Mr Taylor that the preselection system needed to be altered, adding it would take the support of both the Prime Minister and NSW Premier Mike Baird to make it happen.

"It needs their influence to bring about change, it won't happen otherwise," he said.

In January, the ABC reported Mr Taylor was one of several MPs targeted by powerbrokers within the NSW Liberal branch, who were planning to unseat sitting members during preselection.

It was understood Mr Taylor received a phone call from Mr Turnbull at the time expressing his support.

When asked if Mr Turnbull had indicated whether he would help drive the reform in the NSW branch, Mr Taylor told Lateline the Prime Minister had "indicated to everybody … he wants an energised Liberal Party in NSW".

"With the support of people like John Howard — Arthur Sinodinos has made it very clear what his views are on this — Mike Baird and others, and the view that the Prime Minister wants to see an energised membership base, I'm confident that these changes should and will happen in time, and it needs to be relatively quickly," he said.

"We can't wait for this, we do need now a membership base who are readily out there barracking for us."

The Hume MP said he did not agree with former party member John Ruddick, who earlier told the ABC that Mr Turnbull had been a "strident campaigner against democratic reform".

He also denied the problems within the NSW branch stemmed from a factional divide within the Liberal Party.

"In any organisation, there's groupings of people who work to further their interests," he said.

"The system's responsible for it. We have a system that allows power to be centralised … so the drawbridge can be brought up."

Its just a suggestion but perhaps they could get rid of the most corrupt political figure in history next to obied to give them even a shred of credibility , wtf is wrong with people , its a party full of lawyers and property developers, that alone should ring alarm bells they don't gaf about you Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Sunny_beach_babe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:32pm

Its time wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:27pm:

Quote:

Its just a suggestion but perhaps they could get rid of the most corrupt political figure in history next to obied to give them even a shred of credibility , wtf is wrong with people , its a party full of lawyers and property developers, that alone should ring alarm bells they don't gaf about you Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Pot calling kettle.

More lawyers and developers in the ALP.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:38pm

John Howard urges Turnbull and Baird to change rules of NSW Liberal party

Quote:
John Howard has called on Malcolm Turnbull and Mike Baird to change the membership rules of the New South Wales Liberal party, describing the state division as close to a “closed shop” and less representative of ordinary voters.

The former prime minister said party reform was only possible if the prime minister and the state premier supported a switch to plebiscites to allow ordinary party members to choose their MPs.

“I would hope both of them, who have expressed broad support for a more democratic approach, I would hope that they would bring their influence to bear because it needs their influence to bring about the change,” Howard said.

“It won’t happen otherwise, that’s the dynamic of political parties, particularly on our side of politics.”

Howard also had some advice for the Liberal party before his new ABC series on Robert Menzies. He said if the Turnbull government was disciplined and united behind “an understandable, well-articulated agenda”, the Coalition would survive three years in office.

“So that’s [Menzies’] history but, relating it to current circumstances, the message from that period was that if you are disciplined, and you are united behind a program, you will survive,” Howard said. “There is no reason why … the current government can’t survive three years.”

Howard also touched on the donations debate after the Sam Dastyari affair. He rejected suggestions made among some Liberal MPs of restricting political donations to individuals on the electoral roll.

Howard said cutting out corporations, for example, would be a restriction of political freedom and, as for a ban on foreign donations, he said too many people were dual citizens. Such a ban would be difficult to enforce. But he backed faster disclosure rules.

“If anybody makes a donation, it’s got to be disclosed in a more timely fashion,” Howard said.

“You can debate as to, a month or two months or whatever, but in a more timely fashion. I think arguments that it’s not timely enough are understandable.”

Howard’s comments came after the assistant minister for cities and digital transformation, Angus Taylor, called for reform of the party rules.

“I share his analysis about the need to alter particularly the preselection system,” Howard said of Taylor’s intervention. “There is a mounting view amongst Liberals and Liberal supporters in Sydney that, when it comes to preselections in safe Liberal seats, the Liberal party is near to a closed shop.

“For a party that has rightly, in my view, campaigned hard against closed shops in the industrial relations arena, we should not allow it to continue.”

(continued)

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:38pm

(continued)

Quote:
The NSW Liberal party is the last state division to change the rules to allow a greater say for members in party preselections.

After he was commissioned to examine the rules by the then prime minister, Tony Abbott, Howard made recommendations in 2014 to change the rules in favour of plebiscites.

Abbott supported the change but did not make any moves as leader. Since losing the leadership, he has campaigned loudly inside and outside the party room for reform.

Support for the change in the state division is generally held along factional lines, with supporters of Abbott favouring reform and supporters of Malcolm Turnbull, known as the moderates, against the rule change. The NSW state executive is controlled by the moderates.

The Victorian division changed its rules to allow plebiscites in 2010 and, after the former trade minister Andrew Robb retired, the former human rights commissioner Tim Wilson won against Georgina Downer, lawyer and daughter of the former foreign minister Alexander Downer.

Howard praised the preselections in other states and said both the Liberal party and the Labor party were less representative due to the lower memberships of political parties.

“I think the preselection systems in some of the other states are better and I’m not decrying the broad quality of people but, over time, membership of political parties is lower than it used to be,” Howard said.

“The Liberal party now – and I’m sure the same applies to the Labor party – is less representative of the generality of people who vote for the parties and I think we do need two fundamental reforms.

“We need fundamental reform giving everybody who belongs to the Liberal party in a particular area and has done so for a reasonable period of time … a vote in choosing the candidate.

“And the other thing, we should, instead of making it hard to establish party branches, we should make it easier.”

Taylor, who is the member for Hume, which stretches from northwest of Canberra to southwestern Sydney, said he had tried to establish a branch in Cowra but the application was rejected on the grounds it could be vulnerable to factional branch stacking.

“There was, in fact, zero prospect of that,” Taylor said. “Cowra is a long way from anywhere and if powerbrokers had shown interest in joining the Cowra branch the metaphorical shotguns would have come out.

“Those country Liberals would simply not have tolerated it. This was a turning point for me. At that point I switched to being a polite, private supporter of party reform to committing myself to bringing it about.”

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #25 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:44pm

Sunny_beach_babe wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:32pm:
Its time wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:27pm:

Quote:

Grin Grin Grin Pot calling kettle.

More lawyers and developers in the ALP.

Undecided

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:44pm

Ultimately, what we say here on this issue is not likely to be heeded by the NSW branch of the Liberal party. But there are many within the Liberal party calling for change, including John Howard, the former PM who is held in high regard by the Liberals. If John Howard cannot persuade the NSW branch of the Liberal party of the need for reform, they are not going to reform until they get their arses handed to them on a platter at an election.

Voters in NSW are turning from the Liberals. For proof, consider that the Liberals did not win a majority of seats in NSW at the recent Federal election. The last time the government of the day did not win a majority of seats in NSW was in 1963.

IP Logged

Sunny_beach_babe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:45pm

NSW are the left of the Libs.

It's why they can't be trusted and need reform.

Like all leftist entities.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:49pm

Sunny_beach_babe wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:45pm:

No, they're not.

IP Logged

Sunny_beach_babe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:54pm

Bam wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:49pm:
Sunny_beach_babe wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:45pm:

No, they're not.

Yes, they are.

IP Logged