Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
be heard on 18c and freedom of speech (Read 80697 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: be heard on 18c and freedom of speech
Reply #105 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 1:59pm

freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:15pm:
So far none of Raven's 'explanations' contradict my own view, or provide any detail at all. Saying you can get compensated for loss of reputation does not contradict saying you can get compensated for the lost income associated with loss of reputation.

Oh my. Is that how you are trying to twist "your view" now? Just so we don't fall down the endless FD obfuscation spiral - lets remind ourself exactly what "your view" is:

Quote:
I could only sue you for defamation if I could demonstrate you cost me money

For such a statement to be true, it would need to be specifically set out in the law. Thats just common sense. Thats the first point. The second point is that as it so happens, the legislation on defamation actually has a section concerned  specifically with "Damages for non-economic loss". So in answer to your question - how on earth can they calculate an amount of money for damages in these non-economic cases? Well they have a formula based on average weekly total earnings of full-time adults in Australia, and it is capped. Here is the NSW legislation: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/da200599/s35.html#maximum_dama...

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #106 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 4:17pm

Freediver

Most complaints of defamation are dealt with under civil law. That means that cases go to a civil court and are punished by awarding money (called damages) against the person found to have committed the offence. In civil defamation, the principle is the same as for someone who has been physically injured as a result of someone else's actions, either through carelessness or a planned attack.

Under the uniform law, it is usual for juries to determine whether defamation took place and whether the publisher or broadcaster has a defence. If defamation is proved and there is no acceptable defence, the judge will decide how much harm has been done and express that in the amount of damages they award.

General or compensatory damages are damages a court may award for a person's loss of reputation, shame or hurt feelings. Under common law, once the court has found that he has been defamed, the plaintiff does not have to prove that actual harm has been done.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:28pm

No more questions at this time, habibis. FD has left the building.

Freeeedom, innit.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #108 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:40pm

Raven wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 4:17pm:
Freediver

Most complaints of defamation are dealt with under civil law. That means that cases go to a civil court and are punished by awarding money (called damages) against the person found to have committed the offence. In civil defamation, the principle is the same as for someone who has been physically injured as a result of someone else's actions, either through carelessness or a planned attack.

Under the uniform law, it is usual for juries to determine whether defamation took place and whether the publisher or broadcaster has a defence. If defamation is proved and there is no acceptable defence, the judge will decide how much harm has been done and express that in the amount of damages they award.

General or compensatory damages are damages a court may award for a person's loss of reputation, shame or hurt feelings. Under common law, once the court has found that he has been defamed, the plaintiff does not have to prove that actual harm has been done.

Of course they don't. Proving it would be next to impossible. This is like Gandalf demanding evidence of the Indonesians not saying things they are not saying.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:54pm

Sorry, FD, are you taking questions?

Mother has a brilliant article on the Amerikan empire on the Amerikan board.

Would you care to comment?

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #110 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 10:44pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:40pm:
Freediver

Of course they don't. Proving it would be next to impossible. This is like Gandalf demanding evidence of the Indonesians not saying things they are not saying.

The point is your comment that one can only sue if they lost money is false

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #111 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 6:33am

Raven wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 10:44pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:40pm:
Freediver

The point is your comment that one can only sue if they lost money is false

Only if they demonstrate they lost money. We mustn't forget FD's actual words - as he always insists.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #112 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:36pm

Would you like to try to make a point Gandalf?

Have you made a submission yet?
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:50pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:05pm

freediver wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:36pm:

Have you made a submission yet?

I've made a question, FD. Would you care to answer it?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #114 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 3:08pm

freediver wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:36pm:

Yes FD I would. My point is that your claim that you can only sue someone for defamation if you could demonstrate they cost you money - is wrong.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #115 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 6:59pm

And yet you cannot cite any other measure on which damages are based.

The closing date for submissions is today. Are you going to send anything in?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #116 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 6:59pm:

I have, and you ignored it.  I even gave you a link.

Ima glad submissions close today.  You can take this Thread out of Relationships, which would be appreciated.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #117 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:17pm

Would you mind reposting it Aussie?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #118 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:19pm

freediver wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:17pm:
Would you mind reposting it Aussie?

So you can ignore it again?  It is up there ^^^^^^ in this Thread. 

Have a look at Posts # 73 and 77.  I see the Link in # 77 is corrupted.  It was to the Corby defamation case.

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:25pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:07pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 6:59pm:

I have, and you ignored it. 

Ah.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print