Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Threat to freedom of speech isn't 18c (Read 42867 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Threat to freedom of speech isn't 18c
Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:11am

Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act – Australia’s federal hate speech law – has tended to dominate public debate about free speech for the last few years. This has meant other important laws that restrict free speech in broad ways are being overlooked.

The first law that impinges of freedom of speech is the introduction in 2014 of a new power for the attorney-general to declare an operation a “special intelligence operation”, including retrospectively. Once such a declaration has been made, it becomes a crime for journalists to report on these operations.

There is no public interest disclosure exemption under this law. So, even journalists reporting on activities that a government might be undertaking illegally or corruptly can still be prohibited.

Second, a new prohibition introduced in the same legislation on the copying or disclosing of information gathered by employees of a range of intelligence organisations also contained no protection for the disclosure of illegal activities.

In both the US and Europe, mass data collection and retention procedures that were defended by governments as compliant with the law, including stronger human rights laws than Australia has, have subsequently been found to have been undertaken illegally.

In 2015, the federal government introduced a new law prohibiting “entrusted persons” employed in asylum seeker detention centres from disclosing protected information.

http://theconversation.com/free-speech-is-at-risk-in-australia-and-its-not-from-...

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Threat to freedom of speech isn't 18c
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:19am

The recent laws mean that any Government (ALP or LNP) can cover up it's corrupt and illegal activities by simply declaring it a "special intelligence operation". It then becomes illegal for any journalist to report it.

Instead of the endless whining about 18c you would think that more attention would be paid to these frightening laws.

I conclude that those who endlessly attack 18c really arn't interested purely in freedom of speech. They just want to empower their bigotry and racism

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:06am

Yes this is a genuine threat to freedom of speech and not 18c.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:39am

You don't think jailing people for their opinion is a threat to freedom of speech? Or does it not count if you think they are a wanker?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:51am

freediver wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:39am:
You don't think jailing people for their opinion is a threat to freedom of speech? Or does it not count if you think they are a wanker?

Do you think that it is more important for people to be bigots than it is for the government to be held to account?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:55am

I think it is important for people to be free to be bigots. Whether they are or not is less important.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:56am

As you are aware the fact is that nobody was jailed on 18c.

Wankers are jailed for contempt of court just like anyone else.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:58am

freediver wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:55am:
I think it is important for people to be free to be bigots. Whether they are or not is less important.

But you find it more important than keeping the government in check

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:30pm

The government deliberately denying people the freedom of speech in order to hide their improper illegal or just controversial or unpopular actions is taking freedom restrictions to a whole different level.

They have created laws with the aim of allowing the government to be in breach of other laws with impunity.

Absolutely disgraceful.

18c has an altruistic reason behind it, this rubbish is just underhanded and dishonest.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:36pm

I think it is important for people to be free to be bigots..

Oh, I know.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:47pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
I think it is important for people to be free to be bigots..

Oh, I know.

We have to have a supply of bigtoes who else will support the Liberals ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 1:03pm

Dnarever wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:56am:

Are you aware how Toben violated his court order?

What do you think was the ultimate cause of the court order?

Quote:
18c has an altruistic reason behind it

Why do you feel the need to justify it?

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 1:05pm

Both 18C and the special powers of the Attorney general are a threat to freedom of speech in Australia, one is not more of a threat than the other.  Time was that any security issue was subject to a "D notice" an agreement arrived at by both the government and the media not to report on matters that both agreed needed to be kept secret.  This worked well back when there were mature and reasonable people in the government and the media who could balance security with freedom of information.  I believe that there were never any more than five or six D notices active at any one time and they were reviewed regularly.

Now we have both oppressive politicians and irresponsible media. The lunatics are in charge of the asylum.   Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 1:09pm

freediver wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 1:03pm:
Dnarever wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:56am:

Are you aware how Toben violated his court order?

Quote:
18c has an altruistic reason behind it

Why do you feel the need to justify it?

I don't think it is relevant - you want to play chicken and egg go ahead. The fact stands that he disobeyed a court instruction which caused his incrassation.

Why do you feel the need to justify it

Justifying nothing just stating an obvious fact.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 1:17pm

Quote:
I don't think it is relevant

Do you think it might have had something to do with 18c? Would that be relevant to whether 18c is a threat to freedom of speech?

Quote:
you want to play chicken and egg go ahead

How is this a chicken and eg thing? Did the court order cause 18c to come into existence? Or is getting you to offer an opinion a game of chicken and egg?

Quote:
The fact stands that he disobeyed a court instruction which caused his incrassation.

Would it be fair to say that you are deliberately avoiding this because you don't want to admit certain truths about it? Be honest.

Quote:
Justifying nothing just stating an obvious fact.

LOL

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print