Send Topic Print
Fan for $12.00 (Read 1807 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Fan for $12.00
Jan 24th, 2017 at 4:01pm

$11.80 actually....Popped into Bunnings and they had a couple of pallets of cheap fans out the front. They're pretty well made actually, I have one that's been going for 2 years. I tihnk it was about $20 When I bought it?

Very disheartening tho. When I see this it cements in there is no way we can compete in manufacturing. Once China becomes too expensive, they'll set up factories in Africa.

I bought one for the bathroom and one for the dog.  Tongue

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Re: Fan for $12.00
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:11am

For years, and I do this basically every summer, I go looking for a cheap portable air conditioner. Every year, without fail, I end up not bothering to find one cheap enough and one that works cheaply for my loungeroom. I always stick to the air conditioner that I have in my loungeroom. But if I can have one that I can use for my bedroom, my nights will be all the more sweeter to sleep.

At this stage...
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:12am

Sounds good to me. Maybe one day the Africans will be able to afford one also.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:18am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:11am:
For years, and I do this basically every summer, I go looking for a cheap portable air conditioner. Every year, without fail, I end up not bothering to find one cheap enough and one that works cheaply for my loungeroom. I always stick to the air conditioner that I have in my loungeroom. But if I can have one that I can use for my bedroom, my nights will be all the more sweeter to sleep.

Kogan have 3-5 KW portable reverse cycle air conditioners for $299.  I use one in our small caravan.  Work very well, but can be a little noisy - although tolerable.   They come with a flexible outlet to vent the exhaust through a window and have an inbuilt container to hold extracted water.  As implied, they can be moved easily between rooms.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Just looked that one up online. Probably will get one later. Is it cheap to run?

At this stage...
IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 9:19pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 4:01pm:
... I have one that's been going for 2 years...

It's evidently urine resistant.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 10:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:07pm:
Just looked that one up online. Probably will get one later. Is it cheap to run?

No, you have to live within 100 metres of a power station.

You pathetic dolt. This is what people in third world countries use instead of aircon.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:53am

This is a VERY rough calculation that makes some assumptions - but you can get it a bit closer using the KW/H costs on your power bill

30 cents per KW/H @ 3.5KW equals $1.05 IF the AC ran continuously on full load for an hour.     AC units usually cycle over a hour so lets take a rough 50% on/off and the cost would be around 55 cents per hour (fan may still run but not compressor)   The lower the KW/H rate, the cheaper the cost.
Also take into account the outside temperature will also fall as the night wears on, so the on/off cycle will extend as the AC does not need to be on as much - that is further savings

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:19am

The oncoming winter will need for me to use heating. I think we might have a colder than usual winter. And I know that the heater I have is not going to do a great deal of good for me this year. Then the following summer will see in another scorching season. 30-year-old air conditioners will not suffice for cool over modern day portable air conditioners.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:22am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:19am:
The oncoming winter will need for me to use heating. I think we might have a colder than usual winter. And I know that the heater I have is not going to do a great deal of good for me this year. Then the following summer will see in another scorching season. 30-year-old air conditioners will not suffice for cool over modern day portable air conditioners.

A heater? In Rockhampton? Pussy.
I won't even be using one in Lismore. Pull on some dacks, lay a granny blanket over your lap, job done.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:28am

Unforgiven wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 10:35pm:

You pathetic dolt. This is what people in third world countries use instead of aircon.

What has third world people got to do with air conditioning?

At this stage...
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:31am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:28am:
Unforgiven wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 10:35pm:

What has third world people got to do with air conditioning?

Never heard of a punkah wallah?  Grin

edit: To save googling, hindi for fan worker.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:52am

My grandma spoke Hindi. If you want to pay out on a Muslim it's "suar ka bacha". Bacha is boy or son, suar is pig, like our sow, it's an indo-european language, similarities are rife. So... Son of a pig.

Unfortunately I didn't learn enough to speak it.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:23am

Setanta wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:22am:

I won't even be using one in Lismore. Pull on some dacks, lay a granny blanket over your lap, job done.

Ah... but those winter nights in Rockhampton can be cold and dry to the point where even a jacket, long pants, and beany won't do enough. I toughed out last winter because it was what I would consider a cold spring. I have to trap the cold coming off my closed windows with my blind. I get so accustomed to the summer, since it goes for 6 months here, that I can't get acclimatised to the one month of winter.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:25am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:23am:
Setanta wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:22am:

Ah... but those winter nights in Rockhampton can be cold and dry to the point where even a jacket, long pants, and beany won't do enough. I toughed out last winter because it was what I would consider a cold spring. I have to trap the cold coming off my closed windows with my blind. I get so accustomed to the summer, since it goes for 6 months here, that I can't get acclimatised to the one month of winter.

Ladki!

Rocky is always warm.

I really liked QLD. Cooktown was my favourite.

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:31am by Setanta »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print