Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Abortion laws keeping women in family violence (Read 5792 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Abortion laws keeping women in family violence
Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:49am

Abortion laws making it harder for women to escape domestic violence, expert warns

Pregnant women in violent relationships are being further victimised by laws that criminalise abortion in some parts of Australia, doctors and health experts say.

In Queensland and New South Wales, women face a series of legal hurdles in accessing abortion services.

Abortion still remains in the Criminal Code Act in Queensland, where it is a crime for a woman to end a pregnancy, and for a medical professional to carry out the procedure.

Under the state's existing law, rape, incest and foetal anomaly are not sufficient grounds for a lawful abortion.

However, abortion is legal if a medical practitioner believes continuing the pregnancy is a threat to a woman's mental or physical health.

While the NSW Crimes Act 1900 also lists abortion as a criminal offence, it allows for a broader interpretation than Queensland laws as to what constitutes unlawful.

But experts warn restricting abortion can force victims of domestic violence to maintain contact with their abusers.

They say such women often find themselves pregnant against their will after being denied contraceptives, being raped, or being coerced into becoming pregnant.

Pregnancy 'used to control' domestic violence victims

A sexual health physician who performs medical abortions in northern Queensland told the ABC she saw pregnancy being used as another method of control by domestic violence perpetrators.

Fearing legal and work-related repercussions, Karen (not her real name) requested anonymity.

"A woman may have a partner who becomes violent and becomes very possessive, and a way of expressing ownership over that woman is forced pregnancy," she said.

"Anti-abortion agents say that doesn't happen — [they say] what happens is they're forced to have an abortion. I don't see that."

Children by Choice, a provider of financial support for abortion services, said about one-third of its work was with abused women.

'I wasn't willing for him to ruin another child's life'

NSW woman Louie (not her real name) sought to have an abortion due to fear of being pulled back into an abusive relationship.

Louie was being physically abused by her partner. Even when she fell pregnant with his child, the assaults on her and her three-year-old son from a previous relationship did not stop.

"I left him, I think, six times before I left the last time. My mum helped me leave four or five of those times and he would threaten to burn my mum's house down.

"It was just endless threats and most of those threats had to do with my family or children. And I would end up back there."

A week after what turned out to be her final departure, Louie discovered she was expecting again.

"I wasn't willing or prepared for him coming back into my life and ruin another child's life. So, I chose to have an abortion," she said.

Thinking of women in a situation similar to hers being denied an abortion, Louie says her "heart breaks".

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Abortion laws keeping women in family violence
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:51am

Reasonable grounds a 'very grey area'

A termination of pregnancy is lawful in Queensland only if the practitioner believes "on reasonable grounds" an abortion is necessary to "preserve the woman from a serious danger to her life or physical or mental health," Queensland Maternity and Neonatal Clinical Guidelines state.

In NSW, the same grounds apply, although a woman's "economic and social" circumstances are also considered.

Karen said what constituted a reasonable ground for an abortion was "legally a very grey area".

"We're effectively lying to make the case fit the law," she said.

"We have to say it will endanger her mental health to continue this pregnancy. Sometimes that's true, not always.

"Certainly, there are a lot of abortions carried out in Queensland.

Abortion law reform 'could save lives'

Most abortions in Australia are carried out in private clinics, attracting an out-of-pocket cost.

In 2015, Queensland Health estimated fewer than 3 per cent of abortions were provided in public health facilities.

Jamal Hakim is the chief operating officer for Marie Stopes International, a private clinic that performs abortions country-wide.

He said decriminalising abortion could save lives.

"Women might not have access to funds because of the relationship, or they might have access to funds but they need to have an abortion discreetly because when their partner finds out then the relationship actually gets more violent," he said.

"That's where it's important for women, so that they don't take this into their own hands."

Children by Choice manager Amanda Bradley said last year she saw about one woman a fortnight who was considering self-termination.

"We have women who either tried, or have asked how to do it. It's very serious," she said.

Karen also said some doctors' conscientious objection, and lack of access in rural areas drove some patients to despair.

'No problem so great a woman should kill her baby'

Queensland Health said about 10,000 abortions were carried out in the state in 2015.

The president of pro-life group Right to Life, Margaret Tighe, said she was determined to fight what she described as a "gradual escalation in the killing of unborn children".

"I can understand how women who've been subjected to violence by their husbands or partners, how they would feel. But nonetheless, there is no problem so great that a woman should have to kill her baby," she said.
Liesl Wharton, the director of domestic violence survivors' support group the RED HEART Campaign, said doctors also needed to keep an eye out for instances where they believed a woman was being forced to end a pregnancy.

"We also need to ensure that abortions are not forced upon women, also sterilisation operations are not forced upon women," she said.

A NSW Health spokesperson said: "Access to abortions should be considered in the same way as access to other medical care."

A Queensland Health spokesperson said: "Health providers, including our public hospitals, provide termination of pregnancy in accordance with the law."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-21/abortion-laws-force-abused-women-to-stay-w...

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:52am

I feel for that situation, of course I do,... but what is your comment?

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:52am

Laws across Australia:

ACT: abortion was decriminalised in 2002

NSW: abortion is unlawful, but 1971 ruling established abortion would be lawful if doctor believed there was "any economic, social or medical ground or reason" woman could not continue with pregnancy

NT: abortion is legal up to 14 weeks if "maternal health ground" or "fetal disability ground" is satisfied

SA: abortion is legal up to 28 weeks of conception, provided "maternal health" or "fetal disability" ground is satisfied

TAS: abortion is legal up to 16 weeks of pregnancy

QLD: abortion is a crime under the Criminal Code Act unless mother's physical or mental health is affected

VIC: abortion is legal up to 24 weeks of pregnancy

WA: abortion is legal up to 20 weeks of pregnancy

Source: Parliament of Australia

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:53am

TheFunPolice wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:52am:

That abortion should be legal, free and fully available to all women.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:57am

mothra wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:53am:
TheFunPolice wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:52am:

That abortion should be legal, free and fully available to all women.

Fair enough!

I second the motion.

We all know these horrible things must be given what is necessary to make them stop.

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:00pm

Domestic violence.....is a crime. Yes?

Let's talk about the language we use to describe some of the criminal acts which occur in the private sphere of domestic violence.

There's a criminal term for forced sex. It's called RAPE.

Can anyone tell me the criminal term for forced reproduction? 

Having a child against your will OR ELSE?

There is no such term.....yet.

How can we ever hope to address a domestic violent act if the terminology which describes the crime doesn't even exist?

We have a very long way to go. A VERY long way to go...IF we intend to effect any real change for women.

And feminism has done SFA to help. Grrrrrr!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:13pm

Not allowing women full reproductive control is a form of slavery. I have argued this before and have been called crazy but what is a slave but someone who does not have control over her body?

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:16pm

The thread title is Abortion Laws.

Many are reading this : ABORTION laws.

I'm reading this : Abortion LAWS.

The focus needs to be on our legal system.

That's where women are being held to ransom.

Well trained/experienced CRIMINOLOGISTS AND LAWYERS MUST come to the party.

Otherwise women and children (unborn/born) don't stand a chance.

As a mother.....I'm encouraging my kids to consider making criminology and/or law a career option so as to help make a difference in a scourge that's costing LIVES and the taxpayer BILLIONS of dollars each year.....in Australia alone.

(NB I also intend to live my life vicariously through theirs....but that's another matter).

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:47pm

AiA wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:13pm:
Not allowing women full reproductive control is a form of slavery. I have argued this before and have been called crazy but what is a slave but someone who does not have control over her body?

Exactly and well said.

I ought to know.....I had no say whatsoever when I was 1st pregnant.

Trapped in a violent relationship, too scared to move ( fear immobilizes victims) and threatened at every turn.

I just couldn't consider abortion as it devastated me on an emotional and spiritual level. And I was threatened with my life if I ever THOUGHT about terminating my pregnancy as that was the reason I was required. To reproduce.

The twins were born to a violent @rsehole and a frightened mum who felt guilty for bringing them into a domestic violent hell hole. But I did my best and I made sure I escaped....eventually.

Looking back....I recall the hopelessness of the situation. It was mainly from a legal perspective. Why? It's where I struggled the most. And my ex was a well connected lawyer so that didn't help matters.

Fast forward to today....those same 2 kids are very aware (they saw heaps as toddlers...the poor things) of domestic violence and its implications on society at every level. I've nurtured within them the sense of survival and of looking out to rescue others.

I have come to a place where I am at peace about forced sex and forced reproduction. But only on a personal level. I don't want any other woman to go through what I went through. I was strong enough to survive....they might not be.

And I find that confronting.

Do my twins know anything about the crime of forced reproduction in my life? No.

But they probably suspect it.

These 2 kids DO know that I love them unconditionally and would do anything to keep them safe and alive. And as far as I'm concerned that's a far more impt message for them to receive.

Conclusion?

Negative situations like domestic violence CAN be turned around. But you have to be prepared to fight for that to happen. And sometimes that fight can take a long time.

I'm still fighting domestic violence today...by making sure that as a mother my kids are taught to respect themselves and each other and their friends etc.

Also...to seriously think about what THEY can do  (career wise) to contribute in helping those still caught up in its revolting tsunami.

Have a lovely day!

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:55pm

have a look at the people who have the largest families and the fact that most of their kids are permanently in a situation of child abuse and try and tell me changing abortion laws will have any effect at all. If we cant ensure the kids that were allegedly wanted by their mothers are brought up in the right circumstances why on earth is there even any discussion about changing abortion laws? FAS is a far greater issue in my opinion and that wont be solved by changing any abortion laws.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:00pm

rhino wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:55pm:
have a look at the people who have the largest families and the fact that most of their kids are permanently in a situation of child abuse and try and tell me changing abortion laws will have any effect at all. If we cant ensure the kids that were allegedly wanted by their mothers are brought up in the right circumstances why on earth is there even any discussion about changing abortion laws? FAS is a far greater issue in my opinion and that wont be solved by changing any abortion laws.

Excellent logic. Because there are other problems, we don't need to worry about pesky little things like women's rights over their own bodies.

Spoken like an oblivious man.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:06pm

mothra wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:00pm:
rhino wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:55pm:

Excellent logic. Because there are other problems, we don't need to worry about pesky little things like women's rights over their own bodies.

Spoken like an oblivious man.
Children arent "other problems" or disposable "things" as you seem to believe.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:13pm

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:15pm

Despite the content of the Qld Criminal Code, abortion is in all respects on demand here.
Link.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print