Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Honour your police force (Read 3439 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Honour your police force
Reply #30 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:21pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:10pm:
You may not even realise you're 3 kph over ....

Then hand in your licence, and get off the road.

Zero tolerance by Police using machines that require constant calibration is wrong.

It's not zero-tolerance.

There's a tolerance of at least 2 km/h.

It does nothing to prevent road deaths & accidents.

That's incorrect.

It's just to boost revenue.

Again, I ask the question: what's wrong with the police having revenue - would you rather they were broke?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:21pm

mothra wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:14pm:
One of my best friends is a cop. I was profoundly against him signing up and fought him every step of the way, so tainted were my opinions of cops.

Anyway, through him i met loads of them socially. Got to know them. Listened while they told me about being the first to arrive at the scene where a teenager was hanging from a tree and his parents were screaming. Telling people their loved ones are dead. Telling paernts their kids are in intensive care.

Dealing with murder, assault, abuse .. people in often the worst states people can be in.

I found a tremendous respect for them. For my friend.

And i'm not frightened of cops anymore.

Yes. Cops are great and have my full support.

We had cops visit us a while ago. Can't remember why. We invited them in.
They liked the smell of the dinner I was cooking.
I said 'Coppers are always welcome here. '

They don't hear that often enough.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:32pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:21pm:

Zero tolerance by Police using machines that require constant calibration is wrong.

It's not zero-tolerance.

That's incorrect.

Again, I ask the question: what's wrong with the police having revenue - would you rather they were broke?

I answered that question.

Go broke?

Do the Australian Defence Forces earn their own revenue?

The Police are public servants & as such should be funded from govt.

Fines issued from the Police are supposed to be as punishment for individuals committing traffic violations.

That it helps balance a budget is fine ... but when it becomes an integral part of the operation like a business & Officers get set targets like in a business then it's gone too far.

This is what removes Police from the public & community presence they should have.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #33 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:33pm

Indeed, I mean whats always helped me though in that regard, is not actually breaking the law.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:34pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:21pm:

It's not zero-tolerance.

That's incorrect.

I answered that question.

No, you didn't.

You said it's not their job to raise the revenue.

You haven't told me why it's bad for police to have revenue.

So, why is it so bad?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:37pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
Indeed, I mean whats always helped me though in that regard, is not actually breaking the law.

Indeed.

I have no problem with the police raising revenue, by taking money from people who break the law.

However, I'd rather keep my own money, so I've come up with this ingenious plan: I don't break the law.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #36 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:50pm

mothra wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:14pm:
One of my best friends is a cop. I was profoundly against him signing up and fought him every step of the way, so tainted were my opinions of cops.

Anyway, through him i met loads of them socially. Got to know them. Listened while they told me about being the first to arrive at the scene where a teenager was hanging from a tree and his parents were screaming. Telling people their loved ones are dead. Telling paernts their kids are in intensive care.

Dealing with murder, assault, abuse .. people in often the worst states people can be in.

I found a tremendous respect for them. For my friend.

And i'm not frightened of cops anymore.

Yes that is the kind of thing I thought about but forgot to mention in the OP. Always remember, when judging the police, that these people have seen and experienced the worst you can imagine . . .so that you might not have to.

. . .
I got booked a few weeks ago in a 50k zone, which have always annoyed the tripe out of me.
But I smiled with the officer AND at the end I reminded him he was doing a great job. When he checked me out on the computer I hadn't been booked since about 1980, so he told me how I could apply for a waiver or whatever it was, which I thought was nice..

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:51pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
Fines issued from the Police are supposed to be as punishment for individuals committing traffic violations.

And they are.

They also raise revenue.

"All revenue (net of cancellations) collected from road safety cameras goes back into road safety infrastructure.

"Cameras reduce speed and consequently reduce crashes and the severity of consequences arising from crashes.

"The revenue received from cameras is a fraction of the overall cost of speed-related crashes.

"Fines issued from road safety cameras amounted to around $234.9 million* for the 2010–11 financial year.

"The monetary cost of road trauma in Victoria is estimated to be more than $2.9 billion per year, the equivalent of about $1,400 per household.

"Cameras are not located where the most revenue will be generated, but where there is a clear road safety benefit based on crash history, or where the police think crashes will occur due to observed driving behaviour and other intelligence gathered."

And, if you think all of this is bullshit, and that you know more about road safety than all the researchers and experts in the field, then try this little trick: don't break the law.

I've been doing it for many years now, with a 100% success rate.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:52pm

Laws?

Traffic regulations that get changed often.

I suppose you also think it's justifiable to jail people for non payment of fines? ..........

whilst really serious criminals are free to roam our streets on parole & bail to offend again.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:56pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:52pm:
Laws?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If you don't know the current traffic rules, please remove yourself from the road.

No speed limit sign - the limit is 50.

A 60 speed limit sign - the limit is 60.

A red light - stop.

How is any of this difficult?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:58pm

I suppose you also think it's justifiable to jail people for non payment of fines? ..........

No, I don't.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:06pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:56pm:
Laws?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If you don't know the current traffic rules, please remove yourself from the road.

No speed limit sign - the limit is 50.

A 60 speed limit sign - the limit is 60.

A red light - stop.

How is any of this difficult?

Did I say it's difficult?

What I mentioned was the zero tolerance attitude .. which should not be ..... an allowance for Police equipment & punter speedo inaccuracy should be at least 5% to 10%...

and it used to be.

Ever noticed when using cruise control on or just beloe legal speed limit that you can roll over speed before correction occurs?

You could get nabbed then .... is that fair?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #42 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:16pm

We do generally - but some of the individuals in it need to be returned to the unemployment queue.  It is the duty of all honest police to not support perjurers and to actually 'out' them.

Great strides forward have been made with the NSW Police in the quality of those they employ, and the presence of cameras everywhere tends to deter the more criminal minded amongst them, though there will always be bag eggs.

My uncle retired a 2 1/c at Wollongong - police have been family all my life, and I know their feet of clay.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:21pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:02am:
Stig wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:59am:
I generally agree, though I can't help thinking that many people would do a bit more "honouring" if police did a lot less revenue-raising

That statement always puzzles me.

What's wrong with police having revenue?

Roll Eyes  The clear opportunity to just make things up when they are bored or there is insufficient revenue coming in.  Do grow up, Peccary..... as I said, cameras in cars nowadays deter a lot of that and on the highway here I've only seen people who were speeding caught.... they zoom past the silly old buggar in his Terr'u'try who sits exactly on the posted limit like moths to a flame..... I know where the fuzz love to hide.... not that it matters since I'm on that limit anyway.

I'm thinking of getting a sticker on the back of the Terr-u'try - "Speed Limit, Cruise Control - Love it or Leave!"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:29pm

tickleandrose wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:28am:
Stig wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:18am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:09am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:02am:
Stig wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:59am:
I generally agree, though I can't help thinking that many people would do a bit more "honouring" if police did a lot less revenue-raising

That statement always puzzles me.

What's wrong with police having revenue?

Indeed, and want to cut down on the revenue raising? Don't speed.

Sure - that 3 km/h over the limit on a freeway is so dangerous, isn't it.

The great Australian nanny-state strikes again

At alleged 113 km/hr, you would have been detected doing 120ish, and then take away the range of error, arriving at 113. 

Paging Red Baron..... I'm sure he'll disagree on a range of error of 7 kph - maybe 2-3... all speedos are not quite 100% accurate and tyre wear etc alters it a bit.  I've been through those roadworks speed measuring things - cruise control set on 60 - and it says I'm doing 58.... so I often set CC for 112 on freeways.  Haven't been pinged yet, and we have a HP car around the corner here as well as a RMS camera ute on the highway a lot of the time - that reels 'em in!!  Down that hill they go just after the sign says 100 down from 110 - and click, click, click... it's like the paparazzi chasing Princess Di....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print