Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Getting a 🐶 for the kids (Read 5117 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Getting a 🐶 for the kids
Reply #75 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:01am

Poodles
are in the Top 10 of intelligent dogs.
But boy they look absolutely ridiculous - especially when people shave them. Which you might have to do for these HOT summers we get now.

Plus - with intelligent dogs, you have to give them a lot of stimulation and attention or they get gnarly and snappy like a ADHD kid.

When a Dog shakes its head - it's disagreeing with you. Strange but true.

Cattle Dogs
are not great pets to have for kids. Very nippy and of low temperament. Good for adults and farm work.

Small dogs can tend to be 'noisy' barkers and very 'nippy' to visitors at first. if family is rushing around in house, they can get tripped over - when seeking attention. Because small - they have an insecurity for attention.

Cats
are a major problem. They may have some advantages compared to dogs. But they are the major cause of Dogs barking at night. Plus when Cats roam at night (killing native animals) - they cost you heaps in Vet bills from all the bite and scratch tears from fights.

There is a popular breed of cat going around. I forget the name of them - but they are 80% indoor cats and lazy. Nothing more than a piece of furniture you feed and feed the Vet.

Get a Medium sized Dog. Sprint is right - get a Dog that you and your Hubby would like. The kids will still warm to it ...for a few weeks. But as it grows, they will find their pace with the dog and appreciate it's company.
Nothing worse than little white fluffy dogs that leave hairs all over the car seats - very difficult to get out (from experience) even with a vacuum.

Everyone tells me that a
Maremma
(herd) Dog is the one most suited to me. Very independent dog. Famed for saving Penguins on islands. Might give it a try one day.
ATM - I'm looking after my mate's
Huskies
while he is in Antarctica.

I like
Portuguese Water Dogs
too. Water-resistant coat. Can dive down 5m underwater. Great for Swimmers, Beach-goers and Snorkelers.

If you have a small backyard over there in Huongville and live in a Block House or Unit. Then a 'small' dog is your go.

If you have a decent size yard - then go for Medium Size dog.

You can't afford a 'large' dog. Eats/poos a lot!  Wink
They need Rural or very large (old style plots) backyards.

I think you should come back to us Lisa when you have decided on a breed. We might have some good input for your choice.

...there is also the
Prairie Dog
. Absolutely fantastic dogs for first timers  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:19am

Gordon wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 3:27pm:
aquascoot wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 3:09pm:
can jump up thru the stirrups and mount a horse

Very cool little guy. Mine doesn't like water but if leave him on the rocks when I go for a paddle, he'll swim out to me and get a ride back. He's had a good clip since this photo Smiley

https://preview.ibb.co/cG1wOG/2017_09_17_14_31_15_2.jpg

nice gordon,  very nice spot too by the looks of it

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #77 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:00am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:30pm:
I've had a dog die in my arms

Bad breath eh.......

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #78 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:06am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:42pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:33pm:
'nother got hit by a car.

dead, trail of blood across the road

Ok.

Please stop.

That's it.

We're not getting a dog.

I'm crying already.

And we haven't got the freaking dog yet!

Bloody hell.....they involve too much stress and responsibility.

I've got enough of both atm!

Thanks anyway.......

Well, if anything that idiot says puts you off getting a pup, maybe you shouldn't have thought about getting one in the first place........with whatever pet a person has, responsibility comes with it.  Roll Eyes

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #79 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:26am

Fuzzball wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:06am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:42pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:33pm:
'nother got hit by a car.

dead, trail of blood across the road

Ok.

Please stop.

That's it.

We're not getting a dog.

I'm crying already.

And we haven't got the freaking dog yet!

Bloody hell.....they involve too much stress and responsibility.

I've got enough of both atm!

Thanks anyway.......

Well, if anything that idiot says puts you off getting a pup, maybe you shouldn't have thought about getting one in the first place........with whatever pet a person has, responsibility comes with it.  Roll Eyes

Yep.

And heartache .....

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/9128688

A Melbourne family has been left "heartbroken" after their eight-week-old labrador puppy, Sasha, was stolen during a burglary in the city's north-east.

Police said the family returned to their home on Croydon Hills Drive in Croydon Hills on Monday morning to discover it had been broken into.

After a frantic search around the home, the family was upset to find Sasha missing.

Owner Elena Sardi said the family of three had only had the dog for one week, but in that time her four-year-old daughter Maia had become "inseparable" from the puppy.

"I was heartbroken, I'm still shaking … we are really sad," she said.

"Even though it's a short period of time it's enough to get attached and feel part of the family.

Police said they believed the burglary took place between 9:30am and 11:30am, when Ms Sardi had left the house to take her daughter to see a doctor.

The puppy was in the family's backyard at the time it went missing, but police said it was unlikely it escaped on its own.

A number of items including a laptop, iPad and jewellery were also stolen, police said.

Ms Sardi said the puppy had a medical condition, and the family had put up posters around the area in the hope the dog would be returned.

"I don't care about the rest but the dog, we want her home as soon as possible," she said.

More info/pics in above link... Cry
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:32am by Lisa Jones »  

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:39am

the pup is microchipped    she will soon be home I would say......

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #81 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 9:09am

Looks like that Pup has become 'Greyhound' training meat.
Let alone fodder for a local Pitbull.
Out in Rural areas - there are plenty of small wallabies and kangaroos to be fed live to these breeds.
Which they do.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:51am

Jasin wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 9:09am:
Looks like that Pup has become 'Greyhound' training meat.
Let alone fodder for a local Pitbull.
Out in Rural areas - there are plenty of small wallabies and kangaroos to be fed live to these breeds.
Which they do.

Stolen puppy Sasha returned to family's backyard in Croydon Hills

A Melbourne family is rejoicing after discovering the thief who stole their beloved eight-week-old labrador returned the dog to their backyard overnight.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #83 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 3:27pm

Betya the dog got a nice bowl of 'Lucky Dog' to chow into.
Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print