Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
"Animals can't feel pain or emotion" (Read 16193 times)
Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Re: "Animals can't feel pain or emotion"
Reply #225 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:19am

mothra wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:50am:
MPs vote the "animals cannot feel pain or emotion" into the Brexit Bill

MPs have voted to reject the inclusion of animal sentience – the admission that animals feel emotion and pain – into the EU Withdrawal Bill.

The move has been criticised by animal rights activists, who say the vote undermines environment secretary Michael Gove’s pledge to prioritise animal rights during Brexit.

The majority of animal welfare legislation comes from the EU. The UK Government is tasked with adopting EU laws directly after March 2019 but has dismissed animal sentience.

The Government said during the debate before the vote that this clause is covered by the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

The RSPCA disputed the Government’s claim.

"It’s shocking that MPs have given the thumbs down to incorporating animal sentience into post-Brexit UK law," RSPCA head of public affairs David Bowles told Farming UK.

He added that domestic animals were only covered in the Act, and the 2006 law does not cover sentience.

“In the EU, we know that the recognition of animals as sentient beings has been effective in improving animal welfare across the region,” he said.

“If the UK is to achieve the Environment Secretary’s objective of achieving the highest possible animal welfare post-Brexit, it must do the same.”

Nick Palmer, head of policy at Compassion in World Farming, said: "How can the UK be seen as a leader in animal welfare when the repeal bill fails to guarantee that animals will continue to be regarded as sentient beings?

"We urge the Government to reintroduce the commitment into the Bill."

Richard Bowler, a wildlife photographer, posted a picture of "Rosie", a local fox he had formed an attachment to, claiming that politicians ignored the "pain and emotion" felt by animals.

"It really beggars belief that in this day and age, this shower of a government no longer recognises animals as sentient beings," he wrote.

"None of them could have had a pet dog, greet them when they come home. But it's not just domestic animals that show love and affection. The photograph shows Rosie and how she greets me, every time I visit her."

He added: "Science is showing more and more animal intelligence and emotions and yet our government has yet again ignored it. There can only be one reason to deny animal sentient status, and that is to exploit them."

Animal sentience was incorporated into EU law in 2009 via the Lisbon Treaty, following years of campaigning by animal rights activists.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-bill-latest-animal-sentien...

More fake news from the Remoan media.

Here's the truth:

Zac Goldsmith
(@ZacGoldsmith)

No, MPs did not vote that animals aren't sentient @Benfogle @domdyer70 @DeborahMeaden @sueperkins pic.twitter.com/eQLz6plfa9

November 21, 2017

Rachel Maclean MP
(@redditchrachel)

So disappointing to have to combat fake news. Neither I nor any other Conservative MP voted against animals as sentient beings. This government cares deeply about animal welfare and has done more to protect with more measures on the way. This is mischief making pure and simple pic.twitter.com/0nCkdaddwf

November 21, 2017

Hugo Swire
(@HugoSwire)

There has been a lot of misinformation spread online regarding animals as sentient beings. I wrote to @michaelgove last month regarding this issue.

I do not believe that any MP thinks that animals do not have feelings or emotions. pic.twitter.com/eoZkOdPqHP

November 22, 2017

Henry Smith MP
(@HenrySmithUK)

The EU protocol on animals being sentient beings allows bullfighting, veal farming, foie gras ‘production’, live exports for slaughter and cruel fur product imports. British animal welfare laws are the highest globally and on Brexit we’ll be free to strengthen them further still.

November 21, 2017

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #226 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:00am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 8:44pm:
Sure. If our animals weren't treated so poorly in the factory farming process, Id probably eat meat myself. I just can't contribute to that, so Ive voted with my feet.

Isn't this the same as a mother telling her daughter to eat up ALL the spinach, swede, and turnip on the plate because of the starving children in Africa?

It's not going to make a hoot of difference to the starving children in Africa, any more than if Australia stopped polluting the atmosphere with fossil fuels by less than 2% of the world's pollution output.

My niece is a vegetarian, but I never argue with her about it. I've only said that life is too short to play martyr to a cause that is not improved one iota by her abstinence, and that furthermore it is only because of the meat-eating population that billions of dinner animals enjoy life until it's their time to get the chop. But for meat-eaters there would only be a paltry few thousand cows and pigs in the entire world. Cows enjoy themselves in the fields for several years.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #227 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:01am

Pigs, not so much.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #228 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:05am

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:01am:
Pigs, not so much.

Agreed, but even so they enjoy years of wallowing in their own sh*t before they finally get the chop.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #229 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:09am

If you go shooting, don't eat the wild pig you've shot like I did before I knew better. It's the easiest way to transfer Tape Worms into your gut. Thank God it didn't happen to me.

On that trip it was blood-suckers from the Barwon River that kept me busy plucking them off me. Fcukin' little bleeders.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #230 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:38am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:09am:
If you go shooting, don't eat the wild pig you've shot like I did before I knew better. It's the easiest way to transfer Tape Worms into your gut. Thank God it didn't happen to me.

On that trip it was blood-suckers from the Barwon River that kept me busy plucking them off me. Fcukin' little bleeders.

I'd eat it, then go to the pharmacy and buy worming tablets for $5  Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #231 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:55am

Gordon wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:38am:

I got lucky because I sat up in a tree and made sure not to shoot the mother as she came trotting along the track below me, but shot the last of the little piglets that were following her.

I did this because I had run out of food and wanted to stay a few more days. The mother still had another 3 piggies to mother. I've never felt good about it, and I wouldn't do it today. I'd take video footage instead.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #232 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:03am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:55am:

I got lucky because I sat up in a tree and made sure not to shoot the mother as she came trotting along the track below me, but shot the last of the little piglets that were following her.

I did this because I had run out of food and wanted to stay a few more days. The mother still had another 3 piggies to mother. I've never felt good about it, and I wouldn't do it today. I'd take video footage instead.

As I said earlier, I'm starting to think it's more ethical to harvest feral meat than to support factory farming.

I do care about animal welfare but truth be told, I care about my need for meet more than animal welfare. I can afford the best quality beef which has had the best life and slaughter process, so in a round about way I'm being ethical for my desire for quality.

I'm seriously going to explore taking up shooting as I'd love to be able to fill the freezer with wild venison. It's certainly not for financial reasons, I reckon after shooting lessons, practice, license, buying a rifle, camping gear etc etc etc the first load of meat would cost about $500/kg  Grin Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #233 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:28am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:55am:

You should have shot the mother and the piglets. We want to get rid of them.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #234 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:59am

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:28am:
You should have shot the mother and the piglets. We want to get rid of them.

Jesus Christ!

What would Miss Piggy think to hear you say that?!

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #235 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:03pm

Pigs are known to be almost as intelligent as dogs. They might not look much, but they're thinkers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print