Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cars You Wanted But Never Had (Read 1856 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: Cars You Wanted But Never Had
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 2:00am

Setanta wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:36am:
Amadd wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:32am:
Setanta wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:26am:
Amadd wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:18am:
That's where the appreciation in value comes from. It's the appreciation and the value of love.

Not too many blokes held onto a petrol guzzling HO in the expectation that it would be worth a mint in later years. Most would have begrudgingly given it up when they had more important things to look after.

Just the other day I had a guy looking at my Monaro, telling me about the ads he saw as a kid and how he always wanted one. Then when they get to the age when they can afford their toy, the old guys (like me) say, "No way, I paid a good price back then because I liked it so much (designed by a woman btw..lol). So the price goes up because I really have no need to sell. I still like it and I'd miss it if it was gone.

I'm sure every man would appreciate a HO. Grin

Does everything your Mrs. doesn't lol.

I had an AP5 with a warmed over 265 in it until a few years ago. I went to the RTA to do reg stuff one day and some guy started talking to me about it. I said it's older than the wife and the body is in better shape, he asked it it rode as well.

Lol. What was your answer?

When I notified my insurance company that I'd modified the exhaust system to my 2002 Monaro, the guy on the other end said " Well, you gotta do it don't you? No extra charge for that"

The successive Monaros never changed that much except for opening the exhaust 10kw at a time to let out more power.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 2:03am

Amadd wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 2:00am:
Setanta wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:36am:
Amadd wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:32am:
Setanta wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:26am:
That's where the appreciation in value comes from. It's the appreciation and the value of love.

Not too many blokes held onto a petrol guzzling HO in the expectation that it would be worth a mint in later years. Most would have begrudgingly given it up when they had more important things to look after.

Just the other day I had a guy looking at my Monaro, telling me about the ads he saw as a kid and how he always wanted one. Then when they get to the age when they can afford their toy, the old guys (like me) say, "No way, I paid a good price back then because I liked it so much (designed by a woman btw..lol). So the price goes up because I really have no need to sell. I still like it and I'd miss it if it was gone.

I'm sure every man would appreciate a HO. Grin

Does everything your Mrs. doesn't lol.

I had an AP5 with a warmed over 265 in it until a few years ago. I went to the RTA to do reg stuff one day and some guy started talking to me about it. I said it's older than the wife and the body is in better shape, he asked it it rode as well.

Lol. What was your answer?

When I notified my insurance company that I'd modified the exhaust system to my 2002 Monaro, the guy on the other end said " Well, you gotta do it don't you? No extra charge for that"

The successive Monaros never changed that much except for opening the exhaust 10kw at a time to let out more power.

I just had to admit he had a point... The wife wasn't really impressed when I told her about the convo but she's used to that from me. I'm sure she saw the funny side though. 34th anniversary coming up in April.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 9:52am

British Green MGA, but I'd put a bigger engine in it.

https://www.classicargarage.com/archives/mg-mga-1500-1958

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:15am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 9:52am:
British Green MGA, but I'd put a bigger engine in it.

https://www.classicargarage.com/archives/mg-mga-1500-1958

Yes putting a Hellcat under the bonnet might make it interesting to drive Smiley

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:22am

Just the other day I had a guy looking at my Monaro, telling me about the ads he saw as a kid and how he always wanted one. Then when they get to the age when they can afford their toy, the old guys (like me) say, "No way, I paid a good price back then because I liked it so much (designed by a woman btw..lol). So the price goes up because I really have no need to sell. I still like it and I'd miss it if it was gone. Don't even have to love it so much, I'd probably swap for an old Mercedes sports or a Jag V12 which were the ones that I really wanted as a kid.

I kind of disagree personally not into old cars often its more about romantic notions when in reality they are horrible to drive. I often hear from people older then me they don't build them like they use to ..... yeap .... modern cars are cheaper, more reliable, more economical, faster, cost less to maintain, safer and are more comfortable to drive.

If you kept one around like a GTHO then sure you can make a packet. Often with old cars you will put more into them then you can sell them for.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 4:41pm

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:28pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:22am:

Just the other day I had a guy looking at my Monaro, telling me about the ads he saw as a kid and how he always wanted one. Then when they get to the age when they can afford their toy, the old guys (like me) say, "No way, I paid a good price back then because I liked it so much (designed by a woman btw..lol). So the price goes up because I really have no need to sell. I still like it and I'd miss it if it was gone. Don't even have to love it so much, I'd probably swap for an old Mercedes sports or a Jag V12 which were the ones that I really wanted as a kid.

I kind of disagree personally not into old cars often its more about romantic notions when in reality they are horrible to drive.
I often hear from people older then me they don't build them like they use to ..... yeap .... modern cars are cheaper, more reliable, more economical, faster, cost less to maintain, safer and are more comfortable to drive.

If you kept one around like a GTHO then sure you can make a packet. Often with old cars you will put more into them then you can sell them for.

Quote:
.............I often hear from people older then me they don't build them like they use to ..... yeap .... modern cars are cheaper, more reliable, more economical, faster, cost less to maintain, safer and are more comfortable to drive............

Too right.

' .......... they don't build them like they use to ........'
Yes, you would never sell them.
They would fail safety codes by the score.
They would go like slugs, handle like ships, use gas like a ocean liner, be as reliable as a 2 bob watch.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:27pm

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:41pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:27pm:

Hard to beat that one even being a holden man, the HQ coupe monaro comes close, The V8 Toranas are in another class.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #24 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 10:09pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:28pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:22am:

I kind of disagree personally not into old cars often its more about romantic notions when in reality they are horrible to drive.
I often hear from people older then me they don't build them like they use to ..... yeap .... modern cars are cheaper, more reliable, more economical, faster, cost less to maintain, safer and are more comfortable to drive.

Quote:
.............I often hear from people older then me they don't build them like they use to ..... yeap .... modern cars are cheaper, more reliable, more economical, faster, cost less to maintain, safer and are more comfortable to drive............

Too right.

' .......... they don't build them like they use to ........'
Yes, you would never sell them.
They would fail safety codes by the score.
They would go like slugs, handle like ships, use gas like a ocean liner, be as reliable as a 2 bob watch.

... and the HOs certainly didn't brake like my Territory does.... luckily for a couple of bad drivers.... I should hit the next one, collect the insurance and buy the diesel one I want.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print