Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
NRA Donations Triple!!! (Read 6643 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Re: NRA Donations Triple!!!
Reply #75 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:05pm

@goldcam.

Do you agree that a person has the right to defend themselves and that firearms are the most effective way to achieve that?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:26pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:05pm:
@goldcam.

Do you agree that a person has the right to defend themselves and that firearms are the most effective way to achieve that?

Here is my view.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves, no doubt. Different situations provide different mediums which are more effective. Thus there is no claim that a firearm is the most effective in any circumstance for instance if you are walking on the street, most will not carry a firearms in the US. In Australia no one does. Thus if someone decides to king hit or stab you the means of defence is limited, that is the mere nature of life where common sense and awareness is needed. It is impractical to carry a firearm around everywhere, if we did it would bread a culture of precaution and continual fear. There are very few accounts in the US where firearms were used as a means of self defence. In 2010 there were 36 criminal homicides for every 1 justified homicide (self defence).

Why is it that every other country except the USA and a variety of others have to utilise firearms as a means of defence but Australia, the UK, New Zealand, India, Japan and Germany don't find this a necessity.

I will at least consider this notion if.....

1) The 7% of the US population that don't lock their doors, start locking their doors. A simply means of self defence.
2) Use common sense, that is not walking in deserted streets at 2am in the morning or avoiding areas with high crime rates
3) Properly secure weapons in a safe and appropriate location, to limit the at least 450,000 firearms stolen each year.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:36pm

As always, it is about the culture.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #78 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:47pm

@
goldkam (or anyone else wishing to legitimately participate)
Please watch this video in it's entirety (it's less than 4 minutes) then respond to my short question I wrote below with your answer.

Cheers

▶ ▶
So, point by point, applying proven facts with verifiable references, what do you propose to resolve what you consider the 'gun problem' in America where there is an estimated 325+ million firearms in circulation (estimated because over 98% of them are unregistered, & no one knows where they are, or who owns them), what would you suggest to eliminate gun crime, while at the same time respect the gun rights of law abiding American Citizens to keep & bear arms?

These points must be reconciled otherwise your proposal could never work in America, as legitimately stated in the final minute of the above factual video. 
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:20pm by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:26pm

Panther wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:47pm:
@
goldkam
Please watch this video in it's entirety (it's less than 4 minutes) then respond to my short question I wrote below with your answer.

Cheers
https://imgur.com/8myJ5wt.gif

▶ ▶
So, point by point, applying proven facts with verifiable references, what do you propose to resolve what you consider the 'gun problem' in America where there is an estimated 325+ million firearms in circulation (estimated because over 98% of them are unregistered, & no one knows where they are, or who owns them), what would you suggest to eliminate gun crime, while at the same time respect the gun rights of law abiding American Citizens to keep & bear arms?

These points must be reconciled otherwise your proposal could never work in America, as legitimately stated in the final minute of the above factual video. 

I feel like I am back in school again, I would have responded even if you didn't ask. Additionally you are not the teacher and I am not the student, it seems that was what this conversation was directing towards. 

I will state this before delving into your question...this is a video which points out some valid and proven facts but limits the expanse it views and thus puts forward solutions. It denies everything and offers nothing (solutions)....once again it is very easy to deny but to utilise and thus insight into solutions is much harder.

I have no substantial solution and never have stated I do but will put forward various policies and implementation that may be effective.

I am only going to answer the question of "what would you suggest to eliminate gun crime" because quite simply it would be counter productive to answer the "same time respect the gun rights of law abiding American Citizens to keep & bear arms" because I don't agree with that notion.

1) The first thing that needs to change is the culture within the United States, the culture that centres firearms in lifestyle at the same level Australia centres BBQ's and cricket in their lifestyle. Now a culture change can occur over a longer period or a shorter period (a more amicable approach given the current circumstances) each having their own strategies to match the time periodicity. The solution to this is not simple.

Education. Education. Education. Education is what drives change, is what evokes new insights. Movements like the March for Lives and various other gun control advocates have the ability with enough support can attempt to insight the hideous gun culture that the US is experiencing. Political support is also needed for such events, which at present is occurring but not at a high enough rate.

2) Along with the cultural change, comes a legislative change. Now I must add, this bias video of yours simply places gun control in this idealistic world. Simply it highlights that if it cannot be 100% effective why change it. It is all about cohesiveness between states and thus the ability for the federal government to stamp their foot down instead of avoiding the conversation. Mental Health legislation has failed to address the issue (over 1 billion dollars worth in 9 years), education has failed to stop these kids.....its time that the firearm problem is addressed. When has the firearm issue ever been addressed to a large extent.

Legislation.....
Banning anything must be followed through with a extensive and cohesive framework. The framework would consist of the banning, to begin with, of all semi-automatic weapons and attachments that enhance its capabilities. To follow through with such frameworks would be extensive fines for possession of such weapons, criminal convictions for such possessions and a national register that lists all those committing such offences. A buy back scheme could be implemented into such legislative frameworks. Then their could be a gradual implementation of legislation extending to handguns and other forms.

This will be successful if the federal and state governments support it, as well as police and agencies of the like. Support is needed.

I am not a politician, meaning the true decisions and policies will derive from law makers not me or you. The weight and depth of my perception is not anywhere near their level.

I pose this question.....how many firearm deaths in the United States is acceptable??
How many people need to die until a solution to aid or eradicate the problem is reached (its been going on for decades and decades)??

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #80 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:44pm

Frank wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:36pm:

You confuse social conditions for culture.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 5:47pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:44pm:
Frank wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:36pm:

You confuse social conditions for culture.

Don't tell me they have nuffin' to do wiv each other.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #82 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:26pm

goldkam wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:26pm:

▶ ▶

I feel like I am back in school again, I would have responded even if you didn't ask. Additionally you are not the teacher and I am not the student, it seems that was what this conversation was directing towards. 

I will state this before delving into your question...this is a video which points out some valid and proven facts but limits the expanse it views and thus puts forward solutions. It denies everything and offers nothing (solutions)....once again it is very easy to deny but to utilise and thus insight into solutions is much harder.

I have no substantial solution and never have stated I do but will put forward various policies and implementation that may be effective.

I am only going to answer the question of "what would you suggest to eliminate gun crime" because quite simply it would be counter productive to answer the "same time respect the gun rights of law abiding American Citizens to keep & bear arms" because I don't agree with that notion.

1) The first thing that needs to change is the culture within the United States, the culture that centres firearms in lifestyle at the same level Australia centres BBQ's and cricket in their lifestyle. Now a culture change can occur over a longer period or a shorter period (a more amicable approach given the current circumstances) each having their own strategies to match the time periodicity. The solution to this is not simple.

Education. Education. Education. Education is what drives change, is what evokes new insights. Movements like the March for Lives and various other gun control advocates have the ability with enough support can attempt to insight the hideous gun culture that the US is experiencing. Political support is also needed for such events, which at present is occurring but not at a high enough rate.

2) Along with the cultural change, comes a legislative change. Now I must add, this bias video of yours simply places gun control in this idealistic world. Simply it highlights that if it cannot be 100% effective why change it. It is all about cohesiveness between states and thus the ability for the federal government to stamp their foot down instead of avoiding the conversation. Mental Health legislation has failed to address the issue (over 1 billion dollars worth in 9 years), education has failed to stop these kids.....its time that the firearm problem is addressed. When has the firearm issue ever been addressed to a large extent.

Legislation.....
Banning anything must be followed through with a extensive and cohesive framework. The framework would consist of the banning, to begin with, of all semi-automatic weapons and attachments that enhance its capabilities. To follow through with such frameworks would be extensive fines for possession of such weapons, criminal convictions for such possessions and a national register that lists all those committing such offences. A buy back scheme could be implemented into such legislative frameworks. Then their could be a gradual implementation of legislation extending to handguns and other forms.

This will be successful if the federal and state governments support it, as well as police and agencies of the like. Support is needed.

I am not a politician, meaning the true decisions and policies will derive from law makers not me or you. The weight and depth of my perception is not anywhere near their level.

I pose this question.....how many firearm deaths in the United States is acceptable??
How many people need to die until a solution to aid or eradicate the problem is reached (its been going on for decades and decades)??

Not having a solution that will adequately provide effective supply side policies to aggressively eliminate gun crimes, while at the same time allow lawful gun owners (those who's Rights to keep & bear arms are protected & guaranteed by the US Constitution) to keep firearms & protect themselves with those firearms, then the solution(s) will never be accepted by the American People.

Nice try though.

Remember one very important fact, the US Constitution was written by the People to protect & defend the Rights of the People, while at the same time limiting the powers of government.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:52pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #83 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:48pm

......I am not a politician, meaning the true decisions and policies will derive from law makers not me or you. The weight and depth of my perception is not anywhere near their level.

I pose this question.....
Q.
- how many firearm deaths in the United States is acceptable??

First of all, the government will not be the ones who will have to resolve this issue. It will be the American People. Until the Second Amendment is either repealed in it's entirety, or drastically rewritten by the American People.......it's their document, not the governments.....the present form, as defined by the US Supreme Court, is & will remain the Law of the Land.

A.
- There is no number of firearm deaths that are 'acceptable' to the American People.

That said, the American People are quite aware that the cost of Freedom is unfortunately sometimes very great. They also know that criminals break the law, & will continue to break the law..........Murder is, always has been, & will always be, against the law.............So, they have to resign themselves to the fact that saddening incidents will happen from time to time, that will cause them to grieve, but as always, they will grieve for a period of time, then get up, dust themselves off, & get back to living their lives with their American Freedoms & Liberties intact.

They know their Second Amendment Rights gives them the ability to protect & defend all the other Rights guaranteed in the US Constitution against all foes foreign &/or domestic. The Right to Keep & Bear Arms was not 'granted' by any government, or by the Constitution itself. The Constitution was written by the People, for the People. The Constitution merely acknowledges that the Right exists, & guarantees & protects that Right from infringement by government.
  Wink

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:20am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #84 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 1:00pm

Lather, can you recall for me the process of amending the US constitution?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #85 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:14pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 1:00pm:
Lather, can you recall for me the process of amending the US constitution?

I'm taking it you might mean me to answer your question??

Source:      
The United States Constitution
       Quote:
Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

I can, & have done so in detail for others, on numerous posts in the past.

Rather than going through this once again.....which I can, totally out of memory.....I'll post this video that pretty much covers it all (Article V), & provides additional historical information, most of which I have passed on from time to time in various posts as well. Wink

I hope this simplistic, but surprisingly thorough video has helped you understand the historical background & basic processes required to change or amend any part of the existing US Constitution.....the People's Document.

As noted in the video amending the US Constitution has been attempted over 11,000 times, but realistically only 17 amendments have survived the entire process through to ratification....totaling only 27 amendments to the original Constitution. 

Successful Amendments have taken an average of 7 years to complete the process once initiated. ...

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:28pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:30pm

Panther wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:26pm:

▶ ▶

Not having a solution that will adequately provide effective supply side policies to aggressively eliminate gun crimes, while at the same time allow lawful gun owners (those who's Rights to keep & bear arms are protected & guaranteed by the US Constitution) to keep firearms & protect themselves with those firearms, then the solution(s) will never be accepted by the American People.

Nice try though.

Remember one very important fact, the US Constitution was written by the People to protect & defend the Rights of the People, while at the same time limiting the powers of government.

No doubt, that is what legislators are for. That is to develop policies that effectively deal with such issues, policies in which both of us don't have the authority or expertise to effectively develop. What you state about the Constitution is true, through a plethora of interpretations, but why is the US one of only three states to have such in their Constitution??

Why does the US have the highest gun per capita in the world???

This is a country that has one of the highest homicide rates, robbery rate  of an developed first world country. Has the highest firearm death rate of any other first world developed country. Once again just because the right is there does not mean the right cannot be changed, just because the right is there doesn't mean it has to be exercised.

No real solutions have ever been put on the table with any form of authority before relating to firearms, so how can assume such??

I don't needed to be graded on my performance of providing solutions thank you, nice try though.

I understand that fact, a fact that has caused the death of on average 33,000 per year and injured over 84,000 every year. A fact that many Americans are attached and obsessed with.....on that notion I pose this.

The 14th Amendment stated "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws" The laws pertaining to firearms and the use of firearms are depriving individuals of their right to life. Is this not contradicting the legislation put forth on firearms?

What is more important the right to own a firearm or the right to life?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #87 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:44pm

When there is deep confusion between the powers of government and the rights of the ordinary people - those latter have no wish to be caught short, and perhaps become part of The Handyman's Tale.

Thus they may seek to arm themselves, even with no evil or imminent intent, just on the off-chance that things will finally break down.  Consider the plight of the inner city dwellers in the event of any major catastrophe - to even get to the countryside they will have to run the gauntlet of the 'outer suburbs' which often are havens for armed miscreants and are cess-pools of criminal intent.

What would you have them do?  Surrender all their valuables as a 'toll' to get past the evil-doers?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:51pm

Panther wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:48pm:
......I am not a politician, meaning the true decisions and policies will derive from law makers not me or you. The weight and depth of my perception is not anywhere near their level.

I pose this question.....
Q.
- how many firearm deaths in the United States is acceptable??

First of all, the government will not be the ones who will have to resolve this issue. It will be the American People. Until the Second Amendment is either repealed in it's entirety, or drastically rewritten by the American People.......it's their document, not the governments.....the present form, as defined by the US Supreme Court, is & will remain the Law of the Land.

A.
- There is no number of firearm deaths that are 'acceptable' to the American People.

That said, the American People are quite aware that the cost of Freedom is unfortunately sometimes very great. They also know that criminals break the law, & will continue to break the law..........Murder is, always has been, & will always be, against the law.............So, they have to resign themselves to the fact that saddening incidents will happen from time to time, that will cause them to grieve, but as always, they will grieve for a period of time, then get up, dust themselves off, & get back to living their lives with their American Freedoms & Liberties intact.

They know their Second Amendment Rights gives them the ability to protect & defend all the other Rights guaranteed in the US Constitution against all foes foreign &/or domestic. The Right to Keep & Bear Arms was not 'granted' by any government, or by the Constitution itself. The Constitution was written by the People, for the People. The Constitution merely acknowledges that the Right exists, & guarantees & protects that Right from infringement by government.
  Wink

Firstly
No doubt the American people with drive such a change, this change is beginning to emerge today. Now whether this be change to firearm legislation or the 2nd Amendment time will tell. I to an extent disagree, a common sense interpretation of the Constitution could see a change to the way interpretations are developed.  How does a "militia" suddenly mean every single American, when by definition it denotes it as "a military force".

The law of the land that is killing innocent people, the 2nd Amendment has a lot of blood spilt on it. What would be your solution to decreasing the firearm related violence in the United States?

Secondly
I don't want to be stretching implications but your first statement "American People are quite aware that the cost of Freedom is unfortunately sometimes very great" sounded like you were stating in a very swift manner that the right to own a gun comes with a cost, that is cost is firearm deaths??

The firearm is not necessary to survival, this is proven by nearly every other "civilised country". The firearm would not ever be associated with a school, with major tourist destinations or the like, thus you ask yourself the question why?? The question is why are firearms a normality in the lives of children gaining an education, those enjoying a vacation to Las Vegas, those travelling to work in New York? Simply Americans have this thing called helplessness syndrome, they become so accustomed to such attacks it becomes normal, that it is the part of having rights and that nothing can be done about it. This is wrong, unjust for those being killed and quite simply a problem that is recurring....and not decreasing. What has been done in the US in the past 50 years that has decreased firearm deaths significantly (on the trend line)

This is not about murder, murder is a separate issue which has separate solutions and consequences. I am here discussing firearms.  Now firearm deaths don't happen time to time, they happen daily. That is at least once in a 24 hours period.

"dust themselves off, & get back to living their lives with their American Freedoms & Liberties intact."
I don't have that. What about the countless individuals who are killed in these firearm related attacks, or those who use a firearm to commit suicide. They are deprived of their life and don't just get back up, nor do their families who grieve and morn because they have lost their family member to a weapon that has no place in the American society, a weapon with the primary purpose to kill, or inflict harm.

This so called writing for the people, is killing the people. Not to mention it was written by people who have been dead for 2 centuries but that doesn't seem to matter.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #89 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 3:38pm

Bottom line, the US Constitution is the most sacred document the Americans have, & they hold it to themselves as dearly as life itself.

Over the years they have attempted to alter it, change it, & amend it over 11,000 times during it's 230+ years of existence.

Outside of the first 10 Amendments to the Peoples Document, called affectionately as the Bill of Rights.....the People have only passed 17 Amendments through the process. The government doesn't own the document, the People do, yet only 17 Amendments out of 11,000 attempts. That says something.....the American People wish to maintain what they have, & live with the Freedom & Liberties they cherish. Death is a fact of life, & Americans understand the facts. The government can't change the law (the Constitution), only the People can......& the people will not budge unless they wish to.....not one second earlier.........IMHO....Our bones will be dust before any significant changes are made by the American People, that is if any changes are actually employed at all.

They know the costs, but those costs aren't due to laws or lack of laws, they are all due to the actions of criminals, who are an unfortunate part of Society, a small part, but exist they do & will always be part of the American Society.

Americans alone can alter their fate, & they are who will chose to live or die in the comforts of their own Freedoms & Liberties.

It isn't up to their government.

In America the US Government is permitted to govern only through the consent of the governed (the People), & are given specific, but limited powers, enumerated in the U S Constitution. Any powers not specifically given to the government by the People, belong solely to the America People, & the States.....who must also strictly adhere to the powers given to them by the People in their individual State Constitutions.

The opinions expressed here are only opinions, well intended as they might be, but they hold no weight in the decision making of the American People. Only facts are important......The fact is no other peoples on this planet can affect changes in America.....it belongs to the Americans, & they will do, or not do, as they please.   Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2018 at 3:54pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print