Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Is culture a dirty word. (Read 17578 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Is culture a dirty word.
Reply #120 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:15pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 1:11pm:
I doubt more wine is consumed in Australia than beer.

This is the same error of judgement made by
climate change deniers

Their evaluation of Australia (and the rest of the world) is calculated on - and limited to - what goes on in (literally) their own back yard

I don't drink doofus...

national statistics
  argue with them. Roll Eyes

perhaps what YOU said YOU should address to yourself eh. Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #121 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:41pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:31pm:
[quote author=JaSin link=1534932437/68#68 date=1535102919]I'm saying that 'Sport' (via Males) that has been instilled by the TV Media, is in a disillusionment that it represents the 'only' essence of 'culture' here.
Considering 'Male Sport' here is less 'professional' that the women, in the eyes of the world.

The 'internet' exists here and so to does 'its' people and they don't really consider 'sport' to be the 'true' Australian 'culture'.

Thankfully the 'real' Australia is emerging and the 'Pretender' like Sporting Australia is falling by the wayside.

what would you say is our true culture Jasin?[/quote]

Indeed.

To say there is just 'one' culture (like they think 'Sport' is), is like there is only 'one' State representing Australia as the true Australian State.
It's a ridiculous belief to consider 'Sport' as the ONLY true representation of Australian 'culture'.

I say often that each State of Australia represents the other Regions of the world as ...a representative of 'cultural connection'.
QLD for Namerica (hence the amount of Yanks there)
NSW for Oceania (hence the amount of Kiwi's there)
VIC for Samerica (hence the amount of Chileans there)
SA for Middle-East (hence the amount of 'religious' buildings there)
NT for Asia
WA ...being BIG is divided in two: North = Europe (and is a popular tourism destination with European visitors) and South for Africa (hence a lot of Africans <+Boers> there)
Tassie is special, although mostly 'white', it seems to hold onto a very 'aboriginal' cultural past ironically, considering the genocide of aboriginals there.

So you can see - 'culture' is a varied thing here.

Also add the 'culture' of the past, is different from the future. Which is the more 'truer'?  Huh
Well Aboriginal Males tend to hold onto their past (sometimes bitterly) more so than the females. I would put the Aboriginal females as those who take Aboriginal contribution here, far into the future more successfully than the males, especially the 'bitter' ones.

Obviously the 'culture' of the Country/Rural part of Australia is the more original, than that pumped out by the cities like Sydney & Melbourne (which the Media is more focused upon).
Saying this, the (TV) Media doesn't really have a good grasp on Australia to be honest.
Even with the Namerican Media - it seems more interested and bias to the dealings of all things Asian, European and African more than it does with Australian or Namerican way of life.
The Internet seems more focused on Australia, Namerica though, than the TV Media ...hence why 'Fake News' developed. If the TV Media can't 'make it' here in Aust & USA, then they 'fake it'.

So what would I, in personal opinion, consider as 'uniquely' Australian in 'culture'? Something that 'stands' alone?

...I would guess that our 'unique' place in the world, culturally - comes from a relation to 'water', a sense of 'deep ocean' or a voyage to 'within', down into that deep dark abyss that we all fear to look, but at some stage must and that goes for the whole world 'CURRENTLY'. Until this World looks 'within', regardless of discovering the truth of how 'dark' things have become - we will never progress, let alone make it out into the stars ...ironically.
We designed, built the submersible for James Cameron to go to the very bottom of the HADAL. We have much 'technological' superiority over other regions in regards to 'water'. The World looks to us to lead the way in this, like they look at the USA to lead the way in all things Flight, Astronomy, Space, etc (hence why they have always had the greatest 'Aviation' record).
We are the Mer-people and its our duty to bring the Water of Life to the world.
Oceania is covered in much water, but like Islands and 'Sailors', they just seem to 'skim the surface' like Surfers, rather than actually 'go down' like a Convict sent Down Under like a past sin, future redemption.

There are millions here that still don't/won't partake. That's ok, 'culture' is not meant to be fundamentally 'strict' and 'absolutism'. You can't have 10 half-backs in a Rugby Side. But for Sport, especially with Males, its something of a fading. One only has to look at the USA Music scene, where to - the females are more 'Professional', successful and less self-destructive than the males. I would even say, if Katy Perry continues her ways - she will be GREATER than Elvis (who bugger*d up) ...in the end.

So there you have it.
If Australia is going to get ahead 'culturally', it will be with 'Water'.
Of turning this 'burnt out' continent into an absolute OASIS of lush vegetation and rural progress. The 'Inland Sea' may not be a mirage or myth after all - more like a 'Dream'.

The Namerican Indians would cover themselves with Feathers to be with the 'Sky Spirit' above, then the 'real' America (in the face of the Enlightened World) appeared and drove a Space Shuttle up into the Sky and said
"Now this is how to be the Spirit in the Sky!"
  Wink
The Aboriginals seemed to have been hampered by their lack of 'water' and the 'real' Australia will kick on, because they take it on in more ways than one.

Well, I hope this sheds some 'more' light on the subject.
But like I said, maybe its our 'culture' to take the 'light' down into the deep dark cold abyss, where the rest of the world fears to go.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:11pm

re: QLD ...where's all the Yanks? Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #123 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:15pm

Gnads wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:11pm:

They're all moving from California which is where you find the most Aussies over there in the USA.

QLD - California (cultural connection)

...hence why I jest that the UK is a 'colony' of the USA, over 'there' in 'EUROPE'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #124 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:21pm

Jasin wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:15pm:
Gnads wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:11pm:

They're all moving from California which is where you find the most Aussies over there in the USA.

QLD - California (cultural connection)

...hence why I jest that the UK is a 'colony' of the USA, over 'there' in 'EUROPE'.

So we swap one for one?

What a load of bs.

I was speaking to a bloke this afternoon originally from my city here ... he has been in the US for 38 years ... it's where he lives now ....

I have noticed no influx of Californians or exodus of QLDers to California.

You definitely are on some good shyte.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #125 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:00pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:11pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:08pm:
Johnnie wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 4:39pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 4:24pm:
Johnnie wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 4:10pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 4:08pm:
Johnnie wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 3:59pm:
Now this is culture.

Superior culture, innit.

Another culture.

Tinted. Isn't it?

Is tinted a culture?

But of course. Inferior culture.

Innit.

A tinted culture is good for a dark sourdough

Stop apologising for these people.

WE DON'T WANT THEM HERE.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #126 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:10pm

A tinted culture...

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #127 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:13pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:10pm:

That's not nice

That culture has 10 times the IQ of any collection of muzzos, Abbos or Somalis

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #128 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:15am

The last few times ive been in sydney i could just see asians. Melbourne was getting that way too.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #129 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:21am

freediver wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:37pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 8:50am:
spot:

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:05am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:57am:
freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:52am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:14am:
What is a white culture? Only one i can think of is the culture of getting pissed. British irish aussie. We dont actually have any culture except for getting on the piss.

Spot

What about the abolition of slavery, liberal democracy, Christianity etc?

Thats more culture than technology. Xtianity is religion. So is hinduism and budism. I dunno - kinda culture but i think of culture as customs and social behaviours. They can be caused by religion.

Spot

It's all culture. What you identify as culture is what you get when you subtract everything that has meaning or purpose from culture, leaving only the trivial. I would call that cultural baggage. It's like saying that Australian culture is meat pies.

Religion, human rights, democracy etc are deeply ingrained in our society. Societies that lack these things cannot take them up easily, even if they want them. We could forget meat pies overnight and our culture would not change. But you would have to kill a lot of people to get rid of religion, human rights, democracy.

Yeah okay that makes sense but this isnt really an xtian nation anymore is it. Nor are the other "white" countries. Rweligion doesnt play as big a part as in the 70s.

Spot

According to Harari, other aspects of our culture such as human rights have their roots in religion. As does much of our law.

I dont know if human rights is a culture. Maybe it is but other cultures have them too - not all thats for sure. Im not really a history buff so dont know where human rights came from but our laws didnt come from religion the way a lot of religious people think. Not even in america. Religion was considered but wasnt the influence. If i have time i might read some harari.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #130 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:17am

A few centuries ago Europe was the only 'advanced' civilisation in which slavery had largely come to an end. Even serfdom in western Europe.

Consider the following beliefs:

1) Humans are distinct from the rest - the worms, trees, rocks etc.
2) Humans are special
3) Humans are equal
4) Humans will be judged for their own individual actions

None of these have an objective, scientific or independent basis. From a scientific perspective, they are all wrong. Nor are they actually universal, though you could argue that most people would choose to live in a culture shaped by these beliefs. The influence that Europeans have had on the world over recent centuries is leading us all in that direction, even if some of us a kicking and screaming.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #131 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:58am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:21am:
spot:

What is a white culture? Only one i can think of is the culture of getting pissed. British irish aussie. We dont actually have any culture except for getting on the piss.

Spot

Thats more culture than technology. Xtianity is religion. So is hinduism and budism. I dunno - kinda culture but i think of culture as customs and social behaviours. They can be caused by religion.

Spot

It's all culture. What you identify as culture is what you get when you subtract everything that has meaning or purpose from culture, leaving only the trivial. I would call that cultural baggage. It's like saying that Australian culture is meat pies.

Religion, human rights, democracy etc are deeply ingrained in our society. Societies that lack these things cannot take them up easily, even if they want them. We could forget meat pies overnight and our culture would not change. But you would have to kill a lot of people to get rid of religion, human rights, democracy.

Yeah okay that makes sense but this isnt really an xtian nation anymore is it. Nor are the other "white" countries. Rweligion doesnt play as big a part as in the 70s.

Spot

According to Harari, other aspects of our culture such as human rights have their roots in religion. As does much of our law.

I dont know if human rights is a culture. Maybe it is but other cultures have them too - not all thats for sure. Im not really a history buff so dont know where human rights came from but our laws didnt come from religion the way a lot of religious people think. Not even in america. Religion was considered but wasnt the influence. If i have time i might read some harari.

Spot

Ah NO...  not as such.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #132 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:01am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
Grendel wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 1:00pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:24am:
Grendel wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 8:21pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
Yes, our culture is constantly evolving. It used to be a pie and a coke. Now it's a pie and an iced coffee.

Sorry that is not culture...  that is diet.

Yeah you are right - however if we are talking about white culture it is food really isnt it.

Spot

No.
Are you still having problems working out what your definition of culture is.
BTW culture is not coloured. Roll Eyes

So? I was originally replying to someone that was talking about white culture. Of course i was answering from an aussie perspective. Go back and read the thread.

Spot

I'm not the one who doesn't know what culture is.
Unlike you I know about the topic before I enter into it.
You cant tell people they are wrong if YOU are clueless about the subject. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:50am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:21am:
spot:

Spot

Spot

Spot

Spot

You don't  know history but you know that our laws don't  come from religion the way a lot of religious people think - but how do you know the way a lot of religious people think? If you do not know history, how do you know where our laws come from?

Laws come from the concepts of the indivudual and society and their relationships. Only the West has clear concepts and traditions that give priority to the individual. These traditions come fro Judaism and Greek Judaism a.k.a Christianity.

Other cultures have human rights - an entirely Western innovation- only insofar as they have adopted Western values and legal concepts.  Your kind of ignorance of history, Western history in particular, allows the forgetting of how we really got to where we are.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #134 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 10:10am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:54am:
aquascoot wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:18am:

Spot

um,

the renaicance, the enlightenment,science, literature, architecture, skyscrapers, going to the moon, modern medicine, the automobile, technology, exploration, the westminster system.

i think one should be able to think of a few more achievements of the west then "getting pissed". Wink

Thats not culture

Spot

You are challenging Bwian for the leadership of the mindless and unmoored party.

Geez what a well thought out and informative argument

Spot

Cheesy

Unlike your 'that's  not culture, spot'?   That's a  really well-thought out argument, isn't  it, at least considerkng your severe,  half-brained limitations.

Bwian's position is definitely threatened by you.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Send Topic Print