Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Is culture a dirty word. (Read 17531 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Is culture a dirty word.
Reply #15 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:52am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:54am:
aquascoot wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:18am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:14am:
What is a white culture? Only one i can think of is the culture of getting pissed. British irish aussie. We dont actually have any culture except for getting on the piss.

Spot

um,

the renaicance, the enlightenment,science, literature, architecture, skyscrapers, going to the moon, modern medicine, the automobile, technology, exploration, the westminster system.

i think one should be able to think of a few more achievements of the west then "getting pissed". Wink

Thats not culture

Spot

YOU will need to define what YOU think culture is then Spot so someone can answer you in a way YOU can understand.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:16am

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:39am:
To be fair, I think part of the problem of aboriginal alcoholism is that it is not part of their culture.

But wait.......
Untill we unearth all of their well documented history pages on rocks around the country......like the guide to correct farming that was found the other week, it may yet still be part of their culture.
A rock painting of a large group in a river bed, sucking on what is now known as the "first" flagon made from the kangaroo pouch with the joey embreo soaked in tamerine wine, so mexico looses the worm in the mezcal tradition cause coons had it first. Also in the painting you will see mary giving kevin a floggin while malcom is raping tracy as kim is trying to knock him out with a club.
Fine paintings that may well just change history....yet again!

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:37am

At its base, Christianity is not a white religion.  It originates from the middle East, it has its roots in the older Jewish religion.  The Roman empire adopted its early form and spread to Western Europe.   At that time until Britian, Angolo saxons and many other European groups were considered as pagans.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:58am

We are pagen, aren't we?
Chrismas.
Easter.
Birthdays.

Etc etc. All celibrated in this country for quite a while.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:01pm

What is a white culture? Only one i can think of is the culture of getting pissed. British irish aussie. We dont actually have any culture except for getting on the piss.

Spot

um,

the renaicance, the enlightenment,science, literature, architecture, skyscrapers, going to the moon, modern medicine, the automobile, technology, exploration, the westminster system.

i think one should be able to think of a few more achievements of the west then "getting pissed". Wink

They're all different cultures, Aquascoot. The Italian and French renaissances, the French and Prussian Enlightenments, the British and Prussian Scientific Revolutions, the French, British and Russian novels, architecture - Baroque and Napoleonic neo-classical, Bauhaus, etc, etc, etc. Plus, you left out the influence of China and Arabia through the spice trade.

An easy mistake to make, dear. They're tinted.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #20 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:06pm

Spot

um,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:09pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:57am:
freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:52am:

Spot

What about the abolition of slavery, liberal democracy, Christianity etc?

Thats more culture than technology. Xtianity is religion. So is hinduism and budism. I dunno - kinda culture but i think of culture as customs and social behaviours. They can be caused by religion.

Spot

Tell that to the Islamites raving in the streets about chopping heads off Infidels etc... and that's here! Look at what they do there!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:16pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:58am:
We are pagen, aren't we?
Chrismas.
Easter.
Birthdays.

Etc etc. All celibrated in this country for quite a while.

We most certainly are not pagan, Captain. We're a Christian country.

That makes us Middle Eastern, ja?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:20pm

skin colour init? eh karmel

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:25pm

rhino wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:20pm:
skin colour init? eh karmel

That depends on the colour, dear, tinted or tanned. There's inferior culture and there's superior culture.

Correlation not causation, innit.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:29pm

Culture?

The 'Red' Western (Celtic) Europeans 'fled' to North America to be in 'Heaven'.

The 'White' Eastern (Slavic) Europeans were 'exiled' to Sahul (Australia) to be in 'Hell'.

The 'Grey' Southern (Latin) Europeans said from their idyllic island resorts of Oceania that "History was a lie and they were never in Europe to begin with!"

While the 'Blue' Northern (Scandinavian) Europeans had to clean up the mess in Europe after the Party had finished, a Party that they were never invited to.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 2:29pm

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:39am:
To be fair, I think part of the problem of aboriginal alcoholism is that it is not part of their culture.

Whilst that maybe so FD but they've been at it for a long time now .....

When doing time in jail becomes part of rites of passage for young aboriginal men you have to ask the same question of them that some of the self loathers say about non aboriginal australian culture  ......

you call that culture? or what culture? ... getting pissed, bashing your wife, abusing your kids, etc etc etc.

Seems to me they have a pretty fair footing in that dept. as well.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:08pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:52am:

Spot

um,

Thats not culture

Spot

YOU will need to define what YOU think culture is then Spot so someone can answer you in a way YOU can understand.

I did

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:26pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:08pm:
Grendel wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:52am:

Spot

um,

Thats not culture

Spot

I did

Spot

No ... you didn't.

No_you_didn_t.png (223 KB | 18 )
No_you_didn_t.png

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:30pm

Some cultures are dirty.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print