Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Is culture a dirty word. (Read 17532 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is culture a dirty word.
Reply #30 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:35pm

I think Westminster  broadly speaking 

culture is society.. what it will and will not endure...

and its usually decided by our law makers....

I do hope they are GOOD law makers..

the rabble we have now ruining this country..

is not the way I wish aussie culture to go.....

lets all spit the dummy when we cant get our own way..

nope not for me!

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:36pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:08pm:
Grendel wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:52am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:54am:
aquascoot wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:18am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:14am:
What is a white culture? Only one i can think of is the culture of getting pissed. British irish aussie. We dont actually have any culture except for getting on the piss.

Spot

um,

the renaicance, the enlightenment,science, literature, architecture, skyscrapers, going to the moon, modern medicine, the automobile, technology, exploration, the westminster system.

i think one should be able to think of a few more achievements of the west then "getting pissed". Wink

Thats not culture

Spot

YOU will need to define what YOU think culture is then Spot so someone can answer you in a way YOU can understand.

I did

Spot

NO YOU DIDN'T...  EITHER DO, OR STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME.

Simply saying "That's not culture" does not define what is.
BTW when did culture become coloured? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:59pm

tickleandrose wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:37am:
At its base, Christianity is not a white religion.  It originates from the middle East, it has its roots in the older Jewish religion.  The Roman empire adopted its early form and spread to Western Europe.   At that time until Britian, Angolo saxons and many other European groups were considered as pagans. 

The Muslims pretty much wiped out Judaism, Christianity and Paganism from western civilisation, except for Europe. Prior to the discovery of the Americas, it occupied a fairly small corner of the world, in what had previously been the fringe the civilisation.

Gnads wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 2:29pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:39am:
To be fair, I think part of the problem of aboriginal alcoholism is that it is not part of their culture.

Whilst that maybe so FD but they've been at it for a long time now .....

When doing time in jail becomes part of rites of passage for young aboriginal men you have to ask the same question of them that some of the self loathers say about non aboriginal australian culture  ......

you call that culture? or what culture? ... getting pissed, bashing your wife, abusing your kids, etc etc etc.

Seems to me they have a pretty fair footing in that dept. as well.

Would you say that democracy is aboriginal culture?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:02pm

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:59pm:
At its base, Christianity is not a white religion.  It originates from the middle East, it has its roots in the older Jewish religion.  The Roman empire adopted its early form and spread to Western Europe.   At that time until Britian, Angolo saxons and many other European groups were considered as pagans. 

The Muslims pretty much wiped out Judaism, Christianity and Paganism from western civilisation, except for Europe. Prior to the discovery of the Americas, it occupied a fairly small corner of the world, in what had previously been the fringe the civilisation.

To be fair, I think part of the problem of aboriginal alcoholism is that it is not part of their culture.

When doing time in jail becomes part of rites of passage for young aboriginal men you have to ask the same question of them that some of the self loathers say about non aboriginal australian culture  ......

you call that culture? or what culture? ... getting pissed, bashing your wife, abusing your kids, etc etc etc.

Would you say that democracy is aboriginal culture?

No

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:06pm

They have been 'doing' democracy for a long time also.

Might point is, at some point you have to say they abandoned their culture and adopted ours. Alcohol, democracy, human rights, schools, Christianity, nuclear families etc. You can't just pick the worst habits they acquired from as and call that aboriginal culture, but deny them all the good bits.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:19pm

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:06pm:
They have been 'doing' democracy for a long time also.

Might point is, at some point you have to say they abandoned their culture and adopted ours. Alcohol, democracy, human rights, schools, Christianity, nuclear families etc. You can't just pick the worst habits they acquired from as and call that aboriginal culture, but deny them all the good bits.

You think there was no rape, murder, theft, war, kidnapping, etc, etc, etc in Aboriginal life before British settlement?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:22pm

They existed in every culture.

What is your point?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:31pm

Inferior culture.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:35pm

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:22pm:
They existed in every culture.

What is your point?

You tell Grendel, FD. Some of his best friends are dirty Boongs.

At some point you have to say they abandoned their culture and adopted ours. Alcohol, democracy, human rights, schools, Christianity, nuclear families etc.

Superior culture, innit.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:46pm

I argue that Islam did not wipe out Christianity and Judaism just by themselves.  The Eastern Roman Empire have alot to blame themselves.  From corruption, poor economic management, to endless war and conflict with Persians, that gave the Islam both physical and political space to exist.  That and in truth, Mohamed was a leader with great abilities both militarily and politically. 

After the rise of Islam in the East.  Out in the West, Christianity wasnt much better either as Europe descend into the Dark ages.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:12pm

What is a white culture? Only one i can think of is the culture of getting pissed. British irish aussie. We dont actually have any culture except for getting on the piss.

Spot

Having half your face perpetually blown off, you obviously do not recall 'European civilisation' as a category.  I doubt you would have the same difficulty recalling 'Aboriginal' or Indian' or Chinese' civilisation, let alone 'Islamic' civilisation. All those you readily know. Your own? That you will always repudiate, always be confounded about (pretending to be, that is).

You, like Bwian, Paki, gandalf, Arseie et al,  always start from a premise of bad faith and proceed from there.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:23pm

Frank wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:12pm:

Spot

Having half your face perpetually blown off, you obviously do not recall 'European civilisation' as a category.  I doubt you would have the same difficulty recalling 'Aboriginal' or Indian' or Chinese' civilisation, let alone 'Islamic' civilisation. All those you readily know. Your own? That you will always repudiate, always be confounded about (pretending to be, that is).

You, like Bwian, Paki, gandalf, Arseie et al,  always start from a premise of bad faith and proceed from there.

I say, old boy, what do you mean by Paki?

Is that tinted or tanned?

Cheers.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:50pm

I mean you, Paki.

You are a Muslim paki convert.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 10:07pm

Mohommedism was created to get back what Europe 'stole' from the Middle-east and the original Religion of Judaism.

Wink

So watch out France, Islam is coming to strip you of your 'Christianity'  Tongue 
Germany has already 'broken' its Christian Cross (Swaztika).
Eventually even Italy will have to renounce its 'Christianity' via its future genocide upon the moslems and its defence against Israel.
...then, last of all will come the British 'Cross' (Union Jack)  Wink Now that will be a big one indeed.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 10:12pm

tickleandrose wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:46pm:

I argue that Islam did not wipe out Christianity and Judaism just by themselves.  The Eastern Roman Empire have alot to blame themselves.  From corruption, poor economic management, to endless war and conflict with Persians, that gave the Islam both physical and political space to exist.  That and in truth, Mohamed was a leader with great abilities both militarily and politically. 

After the rise of Islam in the East.  Out in the West, Christianity wasnt much better either as Europe descend into the Dark ages. 

Slavery and then serfdom came to an end in Europe during the "dark ages".

Rome was doomed the day Caesar became dictator for life.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
Send Topic Print