Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55645 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #180 - Sep 25th, 2021 at 5:37am

Rising Wolf/Ascendant

"A young environmentalist wakes, trapped, kidnapped in the elevator of a super high-rise building at the mercy of her tormentors".

That is the basic premise of this movie from start, middle and ending. A young woman is found bound and gagged in an elevator that is making trips up to certain levels of the mysterious building. Then the elevator falls at high speed to come to a braking stop. For the whole reason to do nothing more than injure the captured passenger.

It is made apparent that the woman, Aria, is the daughter of a CIA agent. For some reason, the father, Richard, is being held captive in some other location with some spies trying to extract information about an engineer in regards to something. Nothing is really made clear from the story. All we are to understand is that Aria (and her sister, Zara) is capable of some amazing powers. But, nothing is really explored from that.

Richard undergoes a barrage of torture and body part removals. Whereas Aria gets to go on elevator rides and plummeting type torture. Only the discovery of a hole in the elevator gives Aria some hope of escape. But, knowing that the kidnappers will kill her father if she leaves (and the fact that she is afraid of falling), she decides to stay.

Intercut are ethereal scenes of Aria and Zara's childhood where scenes are shown of them using their powers from time to time. There is a scene where Zara is walking away and Aria is running after her to get her to stop and to realise the gravity of her (supposed offscreen) murder of someone. I surmised that this was the beginning of the end to Aria and Zara's life of safety. Perhaps this is the reason why the kidnappers wanted her father and her to suffer. Who knows.

As Richard is being tortured to death, Aria is receiving phone calls from some mysterious person who seems to be from the CIA. Aria seems to have the idea that this man can extract her from her position, with some chance that he would also save his father. But not all is as it seems.

The concluding stages of the movie shows that the father decides to activate his secret weapon at the last moment. Why, for the love of common sense, does he not try this in the first place -- long before he loses a finger and an ear -- I would not know. But, it would probably have saved himself a lot of trouble in terms of injuries if he just tried to do this at the start. Perhaps he needed to let Aria rediscover herself and what she could really do. I would not know.

There is not much to this story. I did not find it a complete waste of time. But for those that want a different thrill ride, you would be better off with some other movie. Perhaps "Devil" would be a better enclosure movie that features supernatural elements. Otherwise, you can consider "Rising Wolf" among the "meh" categories.

Rating: C.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #181 - Sep 25th, 2021 at 11:26am

OLD 2021
This movie has a great storyline but is ruined by terrible acting and an overlong multi-facetted ending that seems to go on forever.   The basic story is of people who are selected for a free holiday on an island.    They are given a cocktail on arrival and, after a few days, directed to a beautiful, private, enclosed beach.      The beach has a power to age people years within minutes and the beach population starts ageing and dying.   Wait till it comes on free to air!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10954652/   

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2021 at 7:25pm by Vic »  

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #182 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:59pm

This is a great movie:

Not for people like aquascoot, though.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #183 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 5:19pm

I watched a movie the other day about a guy who kept his word.

Not one for someone on this forum though................

keep_his_word.jpg (50 KB | 15 )
keep_his_word.jpg

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #184 - Oct 16th, 2021 at 3:59am

Halloween Kills

I do not know what to say about this movie. Halloween Kills seems to be the most violent movie of the franchise. I mean, if you want to have a real scare, this would be the movie to watch for that kind of despairing horror.

I had all kinds of forgetfulness about this movie's opening scenes. There is some changing from 1978 scenes to 2018 scenes. But, I am not sure if I was watching 1978 scenes or 2018 scenes. You had to watch out for what kind of cars they were driving. You get to see the capture of Michael Myers in 1978. There is some attempt at trying to portray a Dr Loomis. But the scene presents itself as a failure for police to show competence.

The 2018 scenes refocus on the ending of the 2018 Halloween movie. Laurie Strode having burnt her house down, is fleeing with her daughter and granddaughter to hospital. They see the firetrucks go by to stop the fire. Of course, the unkillable Myers is still alive at the house. But it is how the rest of the firemen attempt to tackle the killer that was more amusing than horrific.

The movie does quite well in minimising Myers throughout the movie. There was a side quest where the townsfolk thought another escaped mental patient was the killer. It seemed a bit stupid for the townsfolk to not realise their mistake. This added to the audience frustration with the movie. Characters not thinking rationally.

This B-movie gets a B rating. Good. But, a bit confusing.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #185 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 11:10pm

Wind River - about the rape and death of an Indian girl, and how it is avenged.

Some good acting... I like the Indian father Martin... and Graham Greene...

https://www1.movieorca.com/movie/wind-river-18837

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #186 - Oct 25th, 2021 at 6:29am

I watched M. Night Shyamalan's film "Old" yesterday on Amazon Prime and like most of his films since "The Sixth Sense" the characters were annoying, the acting mediocre yet the ending was totally unexpected. What else can I say other than I am glad I didn't see it in the theatre.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #187 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 5:39pm

Doctor Sleep

I watched this movie last night. People told me that another watch of this movie at home would help me relax. It did help, in its ominous kind of way. Watching people have exceedingly difficult tasks to overcome gives a catharsis, even if you feel sorry for one character or another.

Doctor Sleep is the sequel (39 years in the making) to the psychological horror movie "The Shining". Danny Torrance and his mother have escaped their psychotic father at the Overlook Hotel. The two have made their way to Florida to recover and regain their lives. In the meantime, a camping girl has fallen prey to some kind soul feeding cult. The little girl, Violet, has some kind of psychic powers that the cult wants to feed from her soul. Violet's soul can only be consumed if she is tortured and in pain and fear. The cult, True Knot, is lead by Rose the Hat.

Meanwhile, Danny and his mother are living their lives in Florida. Danny is still haunted by the ghosts of the Overlook Hotel. In particular, the woman from room 237. Dick Hollarann (the head chef from the Overlook Hotel) gives Danny some advice on how to take care of the ghosts, by suggesting Danny create some kind of imaginary boxes that entrap the ghosts. It is suggested that Dick is a ghost himself -- being that he was killed by Danny's father months earlier at the Overlook Hotel. And that when Danny turns to hear the fearful calling of her mother, Dick has vanished. Dick's advice leads Danny to fight back against the ghosts. The year of those events is 1980.

31 years later, Danny is living a rough life of alcoholism. Having recovered from a night of drunkenness and violence against another bar patron, Danny finds that he is in the room of a woman he met at the bar. She is laying next to him passed out. It is surmised that the woman is still conscious, but has thrown up. Danny goes to throw up from his hangover and the sight of what he saw. He is alerted to a child, assumed to be the son of the woman from the bar. After nearly robbing the woman of her money (assuming that she stole Danny's money to buy drugs), Danny has a change of heart -- encouraged by visions of Dick telling him to be merciful -- and Danny leaves the woman and child in peace. Later, Danny leaves for New Hampshire and tries to begin a new life.

In New Hampshire, Danny gets clean with the help of Billy Freeman. He is set up with Alcoholics Anonymous; gets a room through Billy's landlady; and gets a job as an orderly at the hospital. In the meantime, a girl by the name of Abra is introduced to the storyline. Abra is a girl with the psychic abilities that seem to 'outshine' all the other psychics of the movie. When Abra shows off her psychic abilities to her parents, it sets off an alert to both the True Knot cult as well as Danny. Rose begins her plans to seek out this girl.

In 2019, True Knot seeks out a boy, who has psychic ability, playing a game of baseball. The cult capture the boy and take him to a secluded place where they torture him to death to consume his psychic spirit. [Admittedly, the "baseball boy" Bradley Trevor (played by Jacob Tremblay) is acted out with near perfection. You could probably call this part the method acting piece of the film.] Abra has visions of this murder taking place. Danny, who has made a connection with Abra in previous years, gets informed about the murder. It takes the information of Abra and the compliance of Billy to help Danny go investigate the location of the burial site.

Danny seeks out Abra to warn her father about the plot to abduct Abra. Abra's father, Dave, is reluctant to believe Danny until Abra psychically tells her father what the problem is. This allows Danny and Billy to go about finding the True Knot cult to eliminate them. With the help of Abra creating deception illusions, Billy and Danny shoot up much of the cult. However, Snakebite Andi manages to mind control both Danny and Billy at different times. Despite Billy mortally wounding Andi, Andi manages to have Billy killed before she dies herself.

Meanwhile, Crow Daddy has gone to kidnap Abra. But, how Abra with the help of Danny manages to escape her kidnapping from Crow, I will let you find out yourself. Reunited, there is only Rose to contend a final battle. Danny and Abra drive to the now derelict "Overlook Hotel", hoping to use the hauntedness of the building to their advantage.

For the next 15 minutes, the fan service gets pandered to when Danny walks around the rooms of the hotel and the lights start lighting up. He gets to the boiler room to (somehow) restart the electricity of a building not used in over 30 years. Then he makes his way to the bar where "Lloyd" the bartender's appearance is made known to Danny. But, it is not the original Lloyd that appears. Much more like the appearance of Danny's father "Jack". Jack character is played by Henry Thomas. Exposition about Danny's childhood is revealed. Lloyd is continually denying his relationship to Danny. And Danny is denying Lloyd's insistence on drinking a glass of Jack Daniels "to take his medicine". I forget how the scene ended as I kept falling in and out of sleep.

Upon my awakening to the film, Abra tells Danny that Rose has arrived. Rose has arrived to find out who Danny really is. And then it is a back and forth battle of psychic powers until Rose gains control and overpowers Danny. It takes Danny to opening the boxes.... [cont.]

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #188 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 5:45pm

[...cont]

Danny opens the boxes releasing the ghosts of the Overlook Hotel. There, the ghosts attack Rose to feast on her psychic abilities. The ghosts then go after Danny, possessing him, and making Danny go after Abra. Again I fell asleep to this scene, and really do not want to spoil what I know to the audience.

Overall, this movie "Doctor Sleep" was a good sequel to "The Shining". Some of the haunting scenes were outright horrific with their implications. So, if you cannot handle "MA" rated movies, do not watch this movie. And whilst I do see this movie as an updated version of The Shining, you can probably see the first two-thirds of the movie as its own movie, developing characters with more meaningful detail than the first movie.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #189 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 6:46pm

Thanks Rocky.

I've read the book, but haven't seen the movie yet.

Might see where it's available.

EDIT: I found it on Prime Video.

$2.99 to rent, or $9.99 to buy.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #190 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 8:51pm

I was surprised that Doctor Sleep did poorly at the box office. Reviewers claimed this movie was the best horror movie in a long time.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #191 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 10:30pm

Eternals

I actually slept through 30 minutes of this movie. What started the rot was seeing a bunch of Jurassic World computer generated imagery "deviants" (creatures which look like dragons and that feed on intelligent life) feasting on a few Mesopotamian residents in 5000BC. In the meantime, the remainder of the humans are going about their business, not seemingly concerned that their fellow man is getting killed. Never fear, though. The Eternals are there to save the humans, with nothing less than putting on a laser light show with superpowers that can allow them to jump, fly or run very fast to beat down the deviant monsters.

I cannot say a great deal about this movie, as I snoozed through parts of the movie. But, the idea of the plot were that the Eternals were living their lives on Earth, with a mission of preventing the deviants from conquering the humans (as a food source) and preventing the annihilation of Earth. There is also an interaction between the Eternals and some kind of Celestial God, giving them a type of instruction of what the Eternals are to do.

Unfortunately, if I was willing to rewatch this movie, I would not pay money to do so. But the plot generally makes not a great deal of sense. This is a post-snap Marvel timeline from the events of Avengers Endgame. Very little is mentioned about the other Avengers. Not that it really matters. I would say this movie is very hollow with its story. Perhaps a B-movie in the terms of comparison with Avengers movies. Possibly on par with the recent Spiderman movies.

If you are a big fan of the Avengers, it should not trouble you going to watch this movie. Those who have a mild interest in the Marvel Avengers, you may want to give this movie a skip, at least until you can pay little money to see it.

Rating C+. Lots of special effects on this one.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #192 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 4:15pm

Freddy vs Jason

Slasher flick about the two franchises of "Friday the 13th" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" crossover. Freddy Kreuger awakens Jason Voorhees (somehow) by invading Jason's dreams and doing an impression of Jason's mother. Jason slashes a couple of campers at the lake. Jason then gets accosted by his ghostly mother, an apparition made by Freddy, urging him to go to Elm Street and make the teens fearful again.

Meanwhile, the teens in question on Elm Street are either partying it up at a house, or being held in detention at an asylum. The house party gets broken down when the boyfriend of a girl, who had recently bounced on him, gets stabbed multiple times by Jason with a machete. Jason then goes on to collapse the bed and ensure that the victim is dead. The rest of the party-goers find the gruesome discovery of the deceased and run out into the rain where a conveniently passing police officer asks the hysterical people if they need assistance.

The next day, the teens at the asylum discover that a murder has taken place. They look to break out of the asylum. This leads the story to a party where Jason massacres a bunch of party attendees. Jason shows how invulnerable he is by withstanding being set ablaze in the cane field.

The story comes together where the survivors of Freddy's nightmares have been able to either suppress memories of their dreams or have suppressed memories of Freddy himself. Jason's presence quickly reacquaints the teens to the knowledge of Freddy.

Freddy in the meantime has had some failed attempts at getting the teenagers. He figures he is not powerful enough and lets Jason do the killings. Eventually, Freddy has had enough of Jason's massacres and decided that he needs to eliminate Jason to be able to properly resume the nightmares of the children. Hence the title "Freddy vs Jason".

Out of both franchises, this movie was easily the most successful at the box office. However, for a slasher movie, there is nothing more appealing about this movie compared to the 1980s or 1990s movies of either franchise. The special effects were reasonably good, though. Fans of either franchise would love this movie. Those who are casual viewers of slasher movies will probably poke holes throughout the movie.

Rating: C+

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #193 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 4:27pm

I enjoy watching Heat. I fastforward the parts with Pacino amd his wife and De Niro and his girlfriend.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #194 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 10:36pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 10th, 2021 at 4:27pm:
I enjoy watching Heat. I fastforward the parts with Pacino amd his wife and De Niro and his girlfriend.

"Gone in 60 seconds". I skip ahead to the part where they do the 30 minutes police chase.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41
Send Topic Print