Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55636 times)
Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #195 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 11:23pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 10th, 2021 at 10:36pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 10th, 2021 at 4:27pm:
I enjoy watching Heat. I fastforward the parts with Pacino amd his wife and De Niro and his girlfriend.

"Gone in 60 seconds". I skip ahead to the part where they do the 30 minutes police chase.

The bullshytecthat spoils a good movie.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #196 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 9:50pm

Back to the Future part 2

Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd return to star in the sequel to 1985's Back to the Future. Lea Thompson, Thomas Wilson and Elisabeth Shue (replacing Claudia Wells) also star.

In this story, Marty McFly has just returned back to 1985 from the year 1955. His girlfriend, Jennifer, shows up to his place, much to Marty's relief. Shortly after, Doc Brown shows up in the Delorean time machine and demands that Marty (and incidentally Jennifer) to come with him to the future. "Something has got to be done about your kids".

Cut to a flying scene with Doc, Marty and Jennifer in the year 2015... in flying cars... among other flying cars. The trio have taken off at sometime in the morning with only "Biff" the witness among a whole neighbourhood of potential witnesses to the spectacle.

The task for the 2015 scene is to save Marty and Jennifer's children from committing a crime -- one not really disclosed. Marty poses as his son to try and intervene in stopping Griff (Biff's grandson) from setting Marty Jnr. into a commitment where he gets arrested that day. After a near recreation of a chase between Marty and Griff, the future is changed for the better -- for Marty, at least. Marty and Doc then discover that Jennifer has been taken home by police. But that was only because Marty and Doc were distracted by Marty having purchased a sports almanac -- one that gives the results of sports events from the 1950s to 2000.

After a reprimand where Doc tells Marty not to use time travel for financial gain, 77-year-old Biff overhears the conversation and remembers seeing Doc and Marty having flown off in the year 1985. Biff then takes Marty's idea with the almanac, as well as taking the discarded almanac from the bin. Biff then pursues Doc and Marty to where Marty and Jennifer live. The future scenes of the McFly home show some real lackluster imagination. Television involves showing as many as several channels at one time; pizza is considered a meal along with Pepsi; phone calls involve video screens; no door knobs because of thumb print security; and you can have blinds that project scenic views instead of you neighbour. In any event, Jennifer has to escape her trap in her future home. Doc has to prevent Jennifer from seeing her future self. And Marty had to protect the time machine, although he gets distracted by a flying remote out walking a dog. This gives Biff the ability to steal the time machine and go back to whenever it was to change the future.

In the events with Doc and Marty rescuing Jennifer, Bif has returned and gets erased from history. How he managed to stay alive to return the time machine without altering events around him is never mentioned. It gives Doc and Marty, however, the ability to return to the past in the year 1985. Upon arrival, the year 1985 is very dystopian to the one they left. Jennifer is left at her home in the front hammock. Marty returns home to a home that is no longer his. And Marty discovers that the city is not the same place that he left. Marty's father is gone. Marty's mother is married to a rich and powerful Biff. And the rest of the family is either in gaol or drunken slobs.

Doc and Marty find out that Biff had managed to get the time machine and take the sports almanac back in time (later revealed to be the year 1955) to give younger Biff an unbeatable advantage in betting on sports events. Doc and Marty,, after escaping a megalomaniacal Biff in this alternate year of 1985, go back to the year 1955 to retrieve the almanac and erase the timeline of the dystopian year 1985.

Much of the remainder of the movie leaves the audience with questions about why the first movie lead Marty's siblings and later himself starting to disappear. Yet, an event where the stolen time machine changes the past 60 years earlier, the year 2015 stays the same. A newspaper article shows Doc Brown committed. Meaning that he should not have been able to change the future or past, given that Marty would not have been able to go back in time to change the past in the first place. And how did Doc Brown know the terrain of a rural road so well that he could, from the year 1885, give directions to Western Union about Marty's location and time? He needed to make sure that Doc's presence in Hill Valley in 1885 would be so minimal that the changes to the future would stay nearly the same.

Rating: B

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #197 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 10:50am

No time to die

Dreadful. Poor Daniel Craig, for the best Bond to be farewelled with such a crap movie. I can see why Danny Boyle stepped away from directing it. Bond as chick flick. Terrible.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #198 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 6:48pm

Frank wrote on Nov 18th, 2021 at 10:50am:
No time to die

Dreadful. Poor Daniel Craig, for the best Bond to be farewelled with such a crap movie. I can see why Danny Boyle stepped away from directing it. Bond as chick flick. Terrible.

I was going to pay money to see it. But it was online for free. The previews for the movie did not encourage me to pay $18 for a ticket to an air-conditioned movie screening.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #199 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 8:32pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 18th, 2021 at 6:48pm:
Frank wrote on Nov 18th, 2021 at 10:50am:
No time to die

I was going to pay money to see it. But it was online forecasting free. The previews for the movie did not encourage me to pay $18 for a ticket to an air-conditioned movie screening.

It's crap even for free.
Hidioso.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #200 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 1:35am

The Little Things

A crime thriller, set in early 1990s Los Angeles. Bakersfield Deputy sheriff Joe Deacon ("Deke") has been assigned the task of going to Los Angeles to collect some evidence for a trial. When he gets there, he finds that he is to accompany Detective Jimmy Baxter to a murder scene. What strikes Deacon is the similarities of the crime scene to the one that Deacon had been investigating previous in Bakersfield. Deacon then decides to take vacation time to help the investigation of this case.

Another victim goes missing during her morning run. A third victim washes up on the shore. Albert Sparma, who happened to be a suspect of the previous murders, gets arrested and taken into custody for questioning. However, Deacon's hot-headedness in the interview room allows for Sparma to leave. Sparma's alleged surviving victim (shown in the opening scenes of the movie) also compromises her eligibility to be an objective witness of the suspect.

Later, Deacon and Baxter (illegally) enter Sparma's residence. Baxter keeps watch. Deacon enters the residence, looking for evidence against Sparma. Sparma, aware of the surveillance, calls in an "officer down" report to his home. This leads Deacon to make a hasty retreat. Baxter found that Sparma wanted to watch the whole ordeal. Later, Baxter again surveilling Sparma's house gets ambushed by Sparma. Sparma offers Baxter a ride to where he claims he buried a particular victim. Baxter accepts the ride. Deacon follows both in private at a distance. They end up in a country road where Baxter is asked to dig several holes. Sparma later reveals a claim that he has never actually killed anyone. The taunts get to Baxter.

Deacon, having witnessed what is going on, makes his own goal of righting the wrongs of the serial murders. It is also revealed that Deacon has his own past mistakes that haunt him.

The cast of Denzel Washington and Rami Malek plays Deputy Joe Deacon and Detective Jim Baxter, respectively. Jared Leto plays Albert Sparma. I found the movie reasonably engaging. Though, you might be put off by the comprehensive nature of this storyline, it does not insult the audience with outright explanations of exposition. It is a grim tale. And although there is some thrilling scenes, much of the storyline is slow paced for the right feel of the movie. The concluding scenes suddenly give you new angles to think about. But you are left to come to your own conclusions as the movie very much ends near suddenly, with the idea that the protagonists have made a "near enough, good enough" resolution to the case.

Rating: B.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #201 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 8:23am

The Painted Veil.
Based (quite faithfully) on Somerset Maughams great book of the same title,  which in turn comes fro a Shelley sonnet.

Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call Life
: though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
With colours idly spread,—behind, lurk Fear
And Hope, twin Destinies; who ever weave
Their shadows, o'er the chasm, sightless and drear.
I knew one who had lifted it—he sought,
For his lost heart was tender, things to love
But found them not, alas! nor was there aught
The world contains, the which he could approve.
Through the unheeding many he did move,
A splendour among shadows, a bright blot
Upon this gloomy scene, a Spirit that strove
For truth, and like the Preacher found it not.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #202 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 9:55pm

Ghostbusters Afterlife

Having just watched this movie online and in poor quality, I cannot really review this movie with a whole lot of honesty of critiquing. I will watch the movie in the cinema upon release, just to get the full effect of the visuals and surround sound.

Ghostbusters Afterlife opens with a scene of someone (assumed to be an ageing Egon Spengler) in the farmland being pursued by some demonic ghost. He gets run off the road and has to run back to the farmhouse to try and catch his ghost. Unfortunately, he ran short on power and could not snare the ghost. We see him later in the house slumped over, perhaps drowsy. A ghost entity vaporises slowly behind him and attacks Egon. Implied is that Egon died from a heart attack.

The scene cuts to Egon's estranged daughter, Callie, and grandchildren Trevor and Phoebe. They are made evicted from their rental and are forced to move to Oklahoma to live in the Spengler farmhouse. Trevor immediately finds a job at a fast-food restaurant -- mainly to work with a pretty girl there called "Lucky". Phoebe gets enrolled in a summer school science class. Her teacher is Gary Grooberson. Later Mr Grooberson and Phoebe's mother date. Phoebe befriends Podcast. Nothing is said about his real name.

The children discover a few things about their late grandfather. Phoebe discovers the house is haunted, as well as her grandfather's ghost meter. Trevor discovers the Ghostbusters vehicle and repairs it. Having found the Ghostbusters equipment, Phoebe shows the equipment to Podcast. Gary discovering the ghost trap to be genuine, unwittingly releases the entity from the trap. The entity makes its way to a mine nearby.

When the team of Trevor, Phoebe and Podcast take the Ghostbusters car and equipment out to the mine, they discover a metal-eating ghost (called Muncher) that they managed to capture. But the property damage caused from the pursuit gets the team arrested and all equipment confiscated. Phoebe decides to call the Ghostbusters number. The call is answered by Ray. Ray tells Phoebe about Egon's obsession with Gozer likely returning. Phoebe tells about Egon's death, her relationship as Egon's granddaughter.

Much of the remainder of the movie is about the team (including Lucky) having to take on Gozer themselves. Much of this prompted by Callie and Gary getting attacked and possessed by the demon dogs. Practical and computer-generated effects are used interchangeably to animate the demon dogs. Callie becomes Zuul the Gatekeeper. Gary becomes Vinz Klortho the Keymaster at the temple.

Gozer the Gozerian reincarnates among them. Podcast manages to trap Zuul. Then the pursuit is on to get back to the farmhouse to snare Gozer. It takes the intervention of the first Ghostbusters (Peter, Ray, and Winston) to save the children. Zuul is released by Gozer. Zuul then possesses Lucky. It then takes the 3 original Ghostbusters, plus Trevor and Phoebe's proton pack to take on Gozer. However, divine intervention in the form of ghostly Egon helps Phoebe hold off Gozer. This is much to the surprise of the three original Ghostbusters as well as the family. Gozer is then trapped in a large ghost trap. Egon is redeemed by family, friends and former co-workers. Callie manages to make peace with her father.

This movie is a good tribute to Harold Ramis. I will pay to watch this movie in theater, upon the release. I figure that this movie could be the redeeming movie for the Ghostbusters franchise.

Rating B+

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #203 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 4:14pm

Venom: Let there be carnage

The sequel to the 2018 "Venom" movie is an inferior movie that will only appeal to the fans of the franchise. Venom 2 is basically a buddy movie that rehashes the first movie without being anything different or exciting. Though, I might say that the humour level is better in this movie than the more serious first movie.

Eddie Brock has just about had it with the symbiote. And the symbiote is starving to eat people. This conflict leads to a separation between the two, with the symbiote leaving after destroying much of Brock's apartment and Ducati. Meanwhile, a prisoner (Cletus Kasady), who has spent many years in captivity, has called for Brock to write an article on him. But when Cletus insults Brock, the symbiote goes to attack Cletus, bringing Brock and Cletus within range that allows Cletus to bite Brock's finger and draw blood. Suddenly, Cletus realises that not all is as it seems with Eddie.

Much of the movie focuses on Cletus making an escape and playing every revenge stereotype written for an escaped convict. Cletus goes to rescue his fiance from her asylum captivity. Francis Barrison aka "Shriek" plays the role of love interest. Shriek also has the ability to scream at a high pitch and send people deaf. Unfortunately, that is her only superpower. And it happens to be the one superpower that could be fatal to symbiote. Cletus, having the symbiote as a weapon, has to deal with Shriek, warning her not to do that. The symbiote threatens to eat Shriek if she does it again. For some reason, Shriek seems to forget that warning.

If you are a fan of the first movie, you might like this sequel. But if you only had a casual interest in the first Venom movie, you can skip this movie. I get the feeling Tom Hardy was not really invested in this movie.

Rating: C+

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #204 - Nov 29th, 2021 at 8:21am

The Beatles: Get Back. - Part 1.

Directed by Peter Jackson.

Finally, an amazing warts and all documentary that confirms what Albert Goldman wrote so many years ago about John Lennon in his 'The Lives of John Lennon'.

As Jackson put it, if he were to cast Lennon in The Lord of the Rings', he would have cast him as Gollum.

The documentary, itself, is a riveting view into the massive creative process that went into producing Beatles' music; and you can only be more amazed when you remember that by 1969, they were all still in their 20s.

There were only 3 weeks from the start of their last project to the famous rooftop concert, during which time, they had written and recorded some of their greatest, including 'Get Back', 'Don't Let me Down', 'Let it Be', 'The Long and Winding Road', 'Across the Universe' and others, including the start of many songs that would appear on solo albums in later years.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #205 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 11:07pm

Dune

Having arrived back home from the cinema after seeing Dune, I have to say that I am feeling much relaxed. With Hans Zimmer's score playing through the movie of Denis Villeneuve's "Dune", it was not difficult to fall asleep/doze through parts of the movie. Perhaps I missed some of the important details of the movie. Although I do not feel that I have, since the movie plodded along slower than Mark Taylor in a one-day game of cricket.

I have not seen the 1984 version of Dune, directed by David Lynch, for a long time. I did think to watch that miniseries last night before I went to see the remake. However, I doubt that there is a lot to compare. Timothee Chalamet played Paul Atreides like a stoned teenager living a very privileged life. His most convincing performances were where he was in bed having dreams. You could have rewritten the dialogue he had with his mother at the breakfast being about passing the coffee over and how much he had at the party the night before.

Visually, this movie is quite stunning. A considerable amount of computer-generated imagery. Though, we are not seeing a movie standard that looks like "Attack of the Clones" green screen imagery. I was not really all that impressed by the sandworm sequences. A creature of that size chasing people through a dune desert would cause a lot more damage. And, somehow, the sandworms have the speed of the graboids from the Tremors movie franchise.

Maybe I need to read Frank Herbert's book on the story to get a better idea of the plot. Because, I see no real hero or villain in the entire story. Just some far-fetched plot about some scamming faction *giving* a spice mining operation of a planet... only to take it back by force. This must have been a costly exercise for the villain of the story. And I am still coming to terms with what was the point.

Rating: B. (Mainly for the visuals and the musical score).

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #206 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 5:38am

Papillon for the 50th time. The Jew was good when he was young.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #207 - Dec 8th, 2021 at 4:36pm

The Green Mile

Watching this movie for the 6th time the other night. A Frank Darabont movie which follows in the similar feel that "Shawshank Redemption" had in 1994. Both movies based on the Stephen King books. Both movies being prisoner movies. A Green Mile, however, is more of a supernatural drama based around a limited number of main characters.

Prison guard Paul Edgecomb supervises cell block E, with about 5 other prison guards. Convict Jon Coffy gets assigned to the cell block. What stands out about Coffy is his size and muscular physique. Minutes later, inside Coffy's own prison cell, Coffy enquires about whether the lights get turned off at night, as Coffy is afraid of the dark.

Among the other prisoners on death row is a Native American (Bitterbuck), French Canadian (Delacroix), and later a transient multiple murderer (Wharton). Bitterbuck is next to be executed. And although it takes two electrocution attempts to execute him, things are as planned. Only rogue and well-connected prison guard Percy Wetmore shows any signs of contempt for the condemned. A policy of keeping the peace with the prisoners is what the staff wish to continue.

With Wharton's arrival, he stirs up so much trouble that he is left to be isolated in the straight room for hours on end. Wharton's initial arrival leads the guards to get attacked, including Edgecomb (who is suffering a bladder infection). After regaining control of the cell block, Coffy asks to see Edgecomb to help Edgecomb with his problem. The supernatural element takes place from this moment on with Coffy.

Among the supernatural powers Coffy displays is the ability to heal not only the deceased mouse, but to heal the warden's wife -- suffering a brain tumour. The supernatural abilities later prove useful in helping let the vicious prison guard Wetmore and prisoner Wharton get their comeuppance.

A visually pleasing movie with a slow pacing intercut with some bursts of action. You are left to think that the movie is a good remake of an old movie. But this is an original adaptation of the novel that slam dunks on the first go. A must watch for those people that love smooth dramas. And the supernatural element that keeps the excitement levels constant.

Rating: A/A-

Prisoner Delacroix befriends a mouse that has snuck into the cell block. Delacroix dubs the mouse "Mr Jangles".

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #208 - Dec 10th, 2021 at 6:11am

"Charlie's Country" on Netflix. Starring a magnificent David Gulpilil. Just breath-taking.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #209 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 6:19pm

Watched two great movies on Netflix today.

The Power of the Dog, and 1917.

Both have Benedict Cumberbatch in them.

1917 is a cinematic masterpiece.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Send Topic Print