Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55648 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #300 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 10:13pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:33pm:
I thought Major Smith was being a bit too brave in some places and a bit too overdramatic in others. Private Large was a real concern. It seemed like he knew better than what he was. But, he became more of a problem through the drama than necessary.

I have a book on Vietnam from an Australian's point of view. The author is Paul Ham. There is another book about the place that I need to look at again. The only Vietnam War history book that I have read thoroughly was based on American perspectives. They do not seem to reference the Battle of Long Tan. Author Hugh Lunn did a tour with the American Marines in Vietnam. He was the photojournalist who watched battles take place. His account of the war was very good.

There are numerous books on the Vietnam War from an Australian perspective.  Some are overly dramatic and many concentrate on the strategic aspects of the war, rather than the tactical ones.  Ham isn't bad as an authour.  There are several specifically on Long Tan. 

To Americans it was a minor action, to Australians, it was a major action.  It taught us that we weren't in a playground like Malaya any more but playing with the big boys in their playground now.  We learnt that the enemy wasn't going to cut and run as they used to in Malaya but fight it out hard with us.  Suddenly we had to carry twice or three times the ammunition, we had to carry more grenades and be prepared to mix it hand-to-hand with them.  Long Tan was an important battle for us, we had to take the war seriously, far more seriously than we had before, which is why the Task Force commander was making decisions which appeared disconnected to the battle because he had to look at the bigger picture.  It was his career on the line as much as it was the lives of the diggers.

It was the only battle where an entertainer was given a rifle and told, this was how you loaded it and this was how you fired it.  He could have had to fight for his life if what they had feared had actually happened.  Little Patty was flown out, Col Joye wasn't, he was entitled to a campaign award as much as the diggers were.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #301 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 7:52am

A great Australian - US coproduction, a little on the long side at 2.5 hours but very well done.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #302 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 4:25pm

I paid $20.40 to watch some Minions movie. Perhaps I am just getting old, but the movie did nothing for my entertainment. But, tomorrow, I want to watch that Elvis movie for half price.

Edit: The movie is online for free.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2022 at 5:13pm by UnSubRocky »  
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #303 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 11:25pm

The Outfit.

Movie that is very much like a one scene play.

A very slow burn and not everyone's cup of tea.  Undecided

I liked it though.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #304 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 11:27pm

All the old knives.

A spy drama.

Plenty of twists and turns in this one. Had me guessing.

Another involved plot and might bore some people.  Undecided

Kept me engaged though.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #305 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 5:02pm

The last 2 movies I have seen have been too loud.
Much too loud.
I'll take ear plugs next time.

It's stupid, if you have a helicopter running, 2 of the worlds largest predators fighting to the death and people shouting, yelling and screaming, you don't need an orchestra going full tilt 'in the background.'

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #306 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 6:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 1st, 2022 at 5:02pm:
a helicopter running, 2 of the worlds largest predators fighting to the death and people shouting, yelling and screaming, you don't need an orchestra going full tilt 'in the background.'

Grin Grin Grin

Sprinty sez: 'turn down the apocalypse, will ya, fellas??"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #307 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 7:04pm

Frank wrote on Jul 1st, 2022 at 6:19pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 1st, 2022 at 5:02pm:
a helicopter running, 2 of the worlds largest predators fighting to the death and people shouting, yelling and screaming, you don't need an orchestra going full tilt 'in the background.'

Grin Grin Grin

Sprinty sez: 'turn down the apocalypse, will ya, fellas??"

hahahahah

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #308 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:02am

Frank wrote on Jun 27th, 2022 at 7:52am:
A great Australian - US coproduction, a little on the long side at 2.5 hours but very well done.

I saw it this evening with my wife and we both enjoyed it and neither one of us are Elvis fans in the least.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #309 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 3:17pm

Thor: Love and Thunder

Another typical Marvel "lights, epic music and special effects" movie. But, seeing that this is "Thor", we see this Marvel movie in a different light from the other Marvel movies. Chris Hemsworth returns to play the title character. But, this time, Jane Foster (played by Natalie Portman) reprises her role to rekindle the romance lost in the third movie.

Foster is plagued by cancer. She has only months to live. Foster decides to see the broken Mjolnir for herself, in the hopes that "Viking space magic" could help heal her. However, Mjolnir reforges itself and becomes Jane's weapon. Jane Foster then becomes "Lady Thor" -- complete with long blonde hair and a suit of armour.

The story begins with an alien living a desolate last few weeks on a planet that is dying. His daughter dies in his arms from a lack of food, water and exposure. A haven of trees, plants, water and fruit appears a little way from a near-dead Gorr (played by Christian Bale). He seeks out the water, shade and fruit to sustain him. He is then interrupted by the god who created the haven. The god chastises Gorr for eating the fruit and begging for mercy. It is then revealed that they have just recently killed off a god slayer and were celebrating his demise. Gorr's renouncing of the god irritates the god to a point that the god grabs Gorr by the neck and holds Gorr off the ground. The sword that lay near the recently slain comes to a kind of life and aids Gorr in killing the god. Gorr then makes a vow to go about killing all gods, wherever they may be.

Much of this movie focuses on Thor trying to re-establish a relationship with Jane, whilst also trying to figure out how to rescue children of New Asgard from Gorr's plan of entrapment. Gorr needed to bring Thor's weapon as a way of being able to enter certain parallel universes (or whatever was the reasoning). The movie features a lot of Guns 'n' Roses songs. Of particular note was the crescendo outro to the song "November Rain" when the recently released children of New Asgard team up to fight the monsters that Gorr had released upon them.

I did not have a problem with this movie. Fans of Marvel movies would enjoy this movie. The cinema was near full on a Sunday evening. So, I will assume that this movie will do well at the box office over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2022 at 1:08pm by UnSubRocky »  
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #310 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 4:39pm

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #311 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 4:48pm

Downton Abbey: A New Era

The old gang all get back together to tell two stories.  One, Lady Violet (Maggie Smith) has to admit to a past dalliance upon inheriting a villa in the south of France, she decides to hand it over to her great-granddaughter Sybil.  Most of the family troop off to France to inspect it, just as a movie company arrives to film a feature film at Downton Abbey.

They leave Lady Mary to shepherd them and keep an eye on them.  The leading lady is revealed to have a common accent, a real working class East End.  While they are filming, Mary and the producer go to see a film in Thursk, where they are shown just how unpopular silent films are, the cinema is basically empty, everybody is at the other theatre watching a talky.

The movie company is forced to move to the sound medium however they have a leading lady who's voice just isn't suitable.  They volunteer Lady Mary to dub her voice over the leading lady's, Myrna Dalgleish.  They rope in Molesley, the village school teacher who used to be a footman at the Abbey to write the dialogue for the film.

I won't go into any spoilers, there are too many.  It wraps up several story lines and leaves a few unresolved. Well worth watching just for that.  Very enjoyable 120 minutes worth.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #312 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 10:41am

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #313 - Jul 18th, 2022 at 12:16am

Delicious

Starring Iain Glenn, Dawn French and Emmaline Fox an excellent tale about a disjointed family, all connected by marriage and inheriting a large hotel restaurant.  Well acted and complicated, well worth watching.  Twelve episodes, all on ABC Iview.   Smiley

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #314 - Jul 31st, 2022 at 4:00pm

Lakaan

A Bollywood epic about a cricket match in the 1890s.  Starring Aamir Khan from the "3 Idiots" movie.  The local villagers go to see the Maharaja to ask for a let up on their tax because of drought.  We get to see the British as the arrogant idiots they largely were. The Garrison commander is sitting down to tea with the Maharaja who he challenges to eat a sausage roll.  Being a vegetarian he refuses.  They are interrupted by the villagers.  They are led by Bhuvan a peasant.  It is about Bhuvan who is challenged to a cricket match by the local Garrison commander in exchange for 3 years of tax.  The Garrison commander in his arrogance extends it to the entire province instead of only one village, goading Bhuvan into accepting the bet.  The maharaja joins in the game, instructing the locals to, "smash the firangi!" Loads of singing and dancing ensures in typical Bollywood style and it includes a Cricket match as well.  Well worth watching for the cricket alone.  The Indians win, of course and the Garrison is dissolved out of embarrassement and the cantonment dissolved.  The Garrison commander is assigned to Africa and has to pay the entire province's three years tax in punishment.   Well acted and scripted.   Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Send Topic Print