Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55633 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #360 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 5:54am

"I Am Not Your Negro" on Stan.

Spell-binding. Transcendent.

An absolute must see.

I would play the trailer from Youtube but i suspect it would trigger most Ozpolians and unnecessarily so. The actual movie is very well nuance.

Put together from a bunch of pages found posthumously of the magnificent James Baldwin
I cannot express how good this is. A masterpiece, in more than a couple of ways.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #361 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:21am

mothra wrote on Dec 30th, 2022 at 5:54am:

An absolute must see.

I would play the trailer from Youtube but i suspect it would trigger most Ozpolians and unnecessarily so. The actual movie is very well nuance.

Put together from a bunch of pages found posthumously of the magnificent James Baldwin
I cannot express how good this is. A masterpiece, in more than a couple of ways.

thanks

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #362 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 7:41pm

An absolute must see.

Okay, I'm gonna watch that tonight.  Thanks   Smiley

The last movie I watched was the new Tom Cruise Top Gun movie.

I watched it on Christmas Day.

He's a total douche bag, and his movies are never gonna win an Oscar, but damn! - he sure knows how to make a Hollywood blockbuster for sheer entertainment value.

It was very bitter sweet to see Val Kilmer in the movie - he is very unwell in real life, and his character was equally ill.

There's a great documentary about Val, on Prime (I think).  Well worth a watch.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #363 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:00pm

"I Am Not Your Whitey" on Stan.

It would be.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #364 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:22pm

Frank wrote on Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:00pm:

It would be.

You can be banned for doing that.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #365 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:46pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:22pm:

It would be.

Learned it from you, turd, learned it from you.  You alter other people's post more than anyone one else.

Don't be a preening hypocrite- but of course you will always be.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #366 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 9:33pm

Frank wrote on Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:46pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 30th, 2022 at 8:22pm:

It would be.

Learned it from you, turd, learned it from you.  You alter other people's post more than anyone one else.

No, I don't.

If you believe otherwise, post an example   Smiley

Do that again on this board, and I'll have you banned.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #367 - Dec 31st, 2022 at 4:57pm

Hilarious. I didn't need to post the trailer. Poor old Frank was triggered by the very name of the movie.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #368 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 8:31pm

The Great Dictator - the 1940 masterpiece of Charlie Chaplin.  Made on the eve of war in Europe it starred Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie, Reginald Gardiner, Henry Daniell, Billy Gilbert, Maurice Moscovitch, Emma Dunn, Grace Hayle, Carter DeHaven, Bernard Gorcey, Paul Weigel in a masterly satire of the Nazi regime and it's antics in Europe.  The Tomanian Empire seeks to dominate the world.  He is in dispute with  Benzino Napaloni, the dictator of Bacteria over Osterliech a neighboring country.  Napoloni is invited to visit Tomania and he upstages Hynckel, the Tomanian dictator.   A movie which was banned under Hitler it is a great work which all students of both politics and satire should watch.  !0 out of 10.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #369 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 8:36pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 8:31pm:
The Great Dictator - the 1940 masterpiece of Charlie Chaplin.  Made on the eve of war in Europe it starred Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie, Reginald Gardiner, Henry Daniell, Billy Gilbert, Maurice Moscovitch, Emma Dunn, Grace Hayle, Carter DeHaven, Bernard Gorcey, Paul Weigel in a masterly satire of the Nazi regime and it's antics in Europe.  The Tomanian Empire seeks to dominate the world.  He is in dispute with  Benzino Napaloni, the dictator of Bacteria over Osterliech a neighboring country.  Napoloni is invited to visit Tomania and he upstages Hynckel, the Tomanian dictator.   A movie which was banned under Hitler it is a great work which all students of both politics and satire should watch.  !0 out of 10.

Excellent choice!

It's on SBS:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/movie/the-great-dictator/2127619651977

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #370 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 8:50pm

mothra wrote on Dec 31st, 2022 at 4:57pm:
Hilarious. I didn't need to post the trailer. Poor old Frank was triggered by the very name of the movie.

No, you didn't have to. You just had to mention that it was about James Baldwin and his ideas.

If you wanted to have a wide perspective rather than ayour current narrow Pavlovian reflexive one, you could look at not just the above chapter but the whole book.
You don't have to change your mind by reading it but at least you would be able to say that you have read more widely on the topic than the stultifying, stupefying received PC/woke orthodoxy crowding your mind.

That would be a refreshing, novel intellectual experience for you and people like you.   So it will never happen. Your blinkered prejudices are dear to you.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #371 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 4:47am

Frank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 8:50pm:
mothra wrote on Dec 31st, 2022 at 4:57pm:

No, you didn't have to. You just had to mention that it was about James Baldwin and his ideas.

If you wanted to have a wide perspective rather than ayour current narrow Pavlovian reflexive one, you could look at not just the above chapter but the whole book.
You don't have to change your mind by reading it but at least you would be able to say that you have read more widely on the topic than the stultifying, stupefying received PC/woke orthodoxy crowding your mind.

That would be a refreshing, novel intellectual experience for you and people like you.   So it will never happen. Your blinkered prejudices are dear to you.

What is wrong with you?

You insult my lack of wider learning in your refusal to widely learn?

And i watched a couple of minutes of your youtube. It was all i could bear. You are a severely damaged individual.

Nonetheless, triggered you were and triggered you remain. How dare those uppity tinted folk have a perspective other than yours? They of course, have to be wrong. So very wrong that you refuse to even listen to it. And alas, remain as you are.

You make the mistake that i have not heard your side. I have and i reject it. Utterly. You cannot claim as much.

Is this all part of your self-loathing, Frank? I mean, ultimately. You're too afraid to have your unbelievably narrow world view challenged for fear you will loathe yourself more than you do already?

Best pretend to be superior, eh what?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #372 - Jan 4th, 2023 at 3:41pm

Monty Python and the Holy Grail  - Yes, the great Monty Python feature film.  Featuring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Neil Innes, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, Connie Booth, Carol Cleveland, Bee Duffell, John Young, Rita Davies, Sally Kinghorn.  King Arthur and his knights encounter a series of very silly obstacles on their quest to retrieve the Holy Grail. They face rude peasants, riddlers, giants, enchanters, lonely young women, a ferocious rabbit and a castle full of rude Frenchmen  Well worth watching, even if only for nostalgia sake.  9 out of 10.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #373 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 2:37pm

A Horse Story

Oh, my frickin' goodness. What a waste of time. Had it not been for a bunch of other D-grade movies I have seen over the years, I would consider this movie one of the worst movies put on DVD.

This movie comes off like an afternoon television show for children. A girl, Monica, having recently had her birthday, is given a newborn foal, dubbed "Champion". Monica is given Champion to look after for his first few years before he is deemed ready to be sold. That kind of narrative seems okay on paper. But the reality is that none of the actors can act. Worse still, the horses featured in the movie have the ability to talk. Not just to each other. But, they can talk to humans as well. The real kicker is that "Champion" speaks like a drunken hillbilly Texan passing a kidney stone.

Monica, although a lovely girl, comes off like some teenage girl overenthusiastic in her role. Obviously, Jackie Jacobson is still learning to act at that stage. And we really cannot fault her too much, although her dialogue comes off sounding like she is reading a script. Maybe a little less smiling when she speaks would have helped the believability of her role. The remainder of the cast have similar problems, and they sound like they are locals filling in the acting roles whilst doing their ranching.

I spent much of this movie with my eyes focused on my mobile phone game. I would look up now and then to see what was happening. But, for much of the time, the movie seemed unwatchable. Children might find this movie fun. But, it was painful to watch for anyone with any sense of good movie taste.

Rating: C+

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #374 - Jan 28th, 2023 at 5:37pm

The War Below - a war film about the British mining effort during the Western Front during WW1,  Comparably with Beneath Hill 60, the Australian film of a few years ago, it details the recruitment of miners to work the tunnels beneath the front lines.  Well detailed with excellent filmography, with only few minor military errors.  It starts with a tunnel dug on the Somme and ends with the tunnel dug under the Messines Ridge. 9 out 10, well worth watching.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Send Topic Print