Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55657 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #390 - Mar 23rd, 2023 at 12:38pm

I recently watch, "Their Finest" for the third time.  Still one of my favourite war-time movies. Starring Gemma Arterton, Sam Claflin, Bill Nighy, Helen McCrory, Jack Huston, Richard E. Grant, Rachael Stirling, Henry Goodman, Jeremy Irons, Paul Ritter, Jake Lacy, Claudia Jessie, Stephanie Hyam, Eddie Marsan.  Gemma Arterton and Bill Nighy stand out with their performances, as does Richard Grant and Rachael Stirling.  Set in 1940, it tells the story of a scriptwriter who writes the story of twins who take their father's boat and travel to Dunkirk to rescue soldiers fleeing the Germans.  Against a background of the Blitz and love interests, it is well watching.  10 out of 10.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #391 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 5:02pm

Top Gun: Maverick - a reprise of the old Top Gun flick, with the stars doing their same old shtick, of destroying the US's enemies and save the world for freedom, truth, justice and the American way.  This one is a little less of a Gay movie compared to the original and they try and tell us what Maverick has been doing in the last 30 years since the last movie.

It starts with Maverick testing a new, hypersonic fighter at Mach 10, only to have the project cancelled at the last minute after he takes the plane for an unauthorised test flight.  However to save his career, Iceman (Val Klimer)  intercedes on his behalf and he is posted to Fighter town where all the best US Navy pilots go to train some new flyers for a new mission.  This mission is stolen straight out of 633 Squadron and Star Wars: they have to fly down a deep valley and over a mountain to destroy a deadly new target - a nuclear enrichment plant owned by guess who?  The enemy is never named but of course it is the Iranians.  They have three weeks to train to fly this impossible mission. 

In the meantime we have Maverick meet his pilots, including his WSO Goose's son now all grown up, Iceman who is dying from an incurable disease and an ex-girlfriend.  He learns how to sail a boat and flies his F-18 fighter to impossible limits.  He goes to Iceman's funeral as well.  Anyway he gets his Admiral to approve his leading the mission by flying an unauthorised training mission after being relieved as chief instructor.

So off it is assumed to the Persian Gulf but Iran has suffered an ice age and is now covered in snow - unusual, hey?  Anyway, they mount the mission and attack the Uranium enrichment plant's exposed retaliation shaft, hidden behind a mountain and in the process Maverick and then Rooster - Goose's son - are shotdown.  So they steal an F-14 and fly it out of the enemy country only to have to fight a dogfight with three Su-57 "Fifth Generation" fighters.  After an emergency landing on the carrier they are welcomed by a cheering mob.  The final scene is of Maverick teaming back up with Penny and flying away in a P-51 Mustang into the sunset.

Overall a better effort than the first movie.  At least in this one they got accurate overpaints of the Su-57s and the SAMs.  The romance is low enough to be tolerable and there isn't any over-the-top Gay beach scenes.  I'd give it about a 6 out of 10 simply because the attack scenes are stolen from 633 Squadron and Star Wars.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #392 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 6:52pm

I think the unnamed enemy is Russia. The helicopter attack scene near the end resembles attack helicopters that the Russians use.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #393 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 8:06pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 30th, 2023 at 6:52pm:
I think the unnamed enemy is Russia. The helicopter attack scene near the end resembles attack helicopters that the Russians use.

It is really a mix of Russia and Iran.  They are using Russian aircraft, Su-57s, Mil Mi-24 choppers and SAM-3 missiles, plus of course, Iranian F-14s,  Russia sells all those things to basically anybody who will pay for them, while Iran has hung onto it's F-14s.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #394 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 11:35pm

I watched this movie once at the cinema. I cannot recall which enemy they referred to as hosting the target base. No mention of who is who. The attack scene begins with the fighters coming in off the coast somewhere over mountainous terrain. Iran does have a mountainous region not far from the coastline. But I do find it implausible that the low mountains would have snow on them at latitude 28 degrees north.

Siberia might be plausible as an area that has mountainous regions. And you could imagine that the fleet might well be deployed in the northwest Pacific region.

The director did not mention the name of the enemy in this movie. Nor can I remember the name of the enemy mentioned in the first Top Gun movie.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #395 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 1:36pm

Dave Hughes - Ridiculous

This stand up special shows David Hughes being above par with his delivery. Normally, I find nails on a chalkboard to sound better. But, Hughes has delivered his stand up with some nice pacing and some not-so-much nasal sounding. The older he gets, the funnier he seems.

Fans of Dave Hughes, this comedy should be a good use of 60 minutes to watch.

For non-fans... NAAAAAHH.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #396 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 1:41pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 31st, 2023 at 1:36pm:

Dave Hughes - Ridiculous

This stand up special shows David Hughes being above par with his delivery. Normally, I find nails on a chalkboard to sound better. But, Hughes has delivered his stand up with some nice pacing and some not-so-much nasal sounding. The older he gets, the funnier he seems.

Fans of Dave Hughes, this comedy should be a good use of 60 minutes to watch.

For non-fans... NAAAAAHH.

Never considered this guy funny at all.

I saw him live many, many years ago in a comedy club (a pub starting with the letter 'E', can't remember it right now) near China Town in Melbourne (long before he became famous), and most people were just ignoring him.

Anyway, if he makes some people laugh that's great - we need more laughter in the world.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #397 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 1:49pm

I pissed him off, one time. From then onwards, I figure I would say nice things about him. He is funny. I don't know what he was like back in the day. I have a copy of one of his DVDs that I 'borrowed' from Dad. I can't remember the act, as it has been a while since watching. But, I have not remembered the stand up being ordinary or bad.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #398 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 10:49pm

AIR

This is a fairly boring good movie. Although the movie comes off very slowly, the dialogue between the main characters is quite compelling. Ben Affleck stars and directs this biographical sports drama about the origins of the Air Jordan shoes.

Much of the plot involves Nike talent scout, Sonny Vaccaro, out to recruit future superstar of basketball, Michael Jordan, to wear and promote a new type of basketball shoe for the Nike company. But, CEO of Nike, Phil Knight, is reluctant to fund $250,000 per year to get Michael Jordan to sign with Nike. Competing with Adidas and Converse companies for the signing of Jordan. Jordan's mother passes on the condition that Michael would like to get a percentage of all purchases made on Air Jordans.

The rest is history.

Rating: B/B+

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #399 - Apr 14th, 2023 at 1:59am

Booked a ticket online to see this premier. I don't know why. I went in expecting something "Some kind of monster"-ish documentary. But, it was just 4 guys on a couch acting like senile rock stars talking condescendingly to the camera. They yammered about their opening song for about 5 minutes before the song went into execution. If you want to hear the fusion of country western and old school metal, you can expect that from Metallica.

I got up and walked out with my water bottle halfway through the first song and went to get a refund from the front counter. I am done with the band.

I might look up this featurette sometime in the future and watch the remaining 90 minutes. But, for now, I need to get over the irritation of seeing 20 minutes of this dying band.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #400 - Apr 14th, 2023 at 3:56am

Shazam - Fury of the Gods

A superhero movie, sequel to the 2019 DC Comics movie. This is just as entertaining as the first movie. However, the first Shazam movie had more heart. The conflict of Billy Battsson's mother abandoning him was something that really threw the curve ball in the first movie. However, this sequel does not really have much of that kind of drama. It is mostly comedy and superhero action and a lot of green screen special effects to give an epileptic a lot of problems. The only romance involves one of Shazam's close foster brother, Freddy, when a new girl ("Anthea") shows up to school and basically gets close to Freddy. And of course, Billy, in his superhero form having a thing for Wonder Woman -- in which only Billy's sacrifice near the end of the movie being what has Diana Prince develop respect for him.

A good movie for the children and teens. I would have rather paid money to see this movie over the rubbish music premiere I mentioned earlier.

Rating: B-

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #401 - Apr 16th, 2023 at 6:45pm

Iron Sky: The Coming Race:  Not as good as the original Iron Sky it harks back to the Vril, a reptilian race who have always lived amongst us and secretly ruled humanity through shape-shifting. Twenty nine years after nuclear war renders Earth uninhabitable, refugees on a former Nazi Moon base are threatened by limited supplies and overpopulation. A power source buried deep beneath Earth's wasted surface could be the key to survival. So we still have the space Nazis and the Vril who control the Moon and the South Pole entrance to a subterranean realm where Dinosaurs still exist.  The space Nazis were defeated in the first movie and the Virile have retreated to under the Earth's surface.  The Moon is slowly disintegrating.  Into their midst comes a lone Space Ship piloted by a Russian.  On board are refugees from Earth and the Wolfgang Kortzfleisch the Space Fuhrer who everybody thought had died at the end of the last movie.  He gives to Obi Washington, daughter of James Washington (who has since passed away) and Renate Richter, some Virilia and instructs her to give it to her mother who appears to be dying from some wasting disease.  When it cures and revitalizes her, he informs her of his origins and of a Holy Chalice which is where the Virilia comes from, hidden in the hollow Earth.

So, with the help of the Russian Sasha and the, Jobsists, a cult formed around the teachings of Steve Jobs and their leader, Donald, has become the Moon base's official religion and the security officer Malcolm, she leaves the Moon on Sasha's spaceship and they land in Antarctica.  They finds their way into the interior of Earth and encounter some Dinosaurs.  After making their way to the Vril city of Agartha, the Vril, who have been parading around as world leaders throughout history, kill the President of the United States for making the surface world uninhabitable. The Jobsists and Malcolm are captured by Steve Jobs and brought to Adolf Hitler, and Donald offers Hitler the whereabouts of Kortzfleisch in exchange for the Jobsists to live in Agartha, only for Hitler to betray them and have Jobs eat the Jobsists. Meanwhile, Obi and Sasha take the Holy Grail, the source of the Vrilia, but cause Agartha's sun to collapse and destroy the city. Malcolm escapes from captivity and rejoins Obi and Sasha before they fly back to Neomenia. Hitler launches the Vril spaceship out of Antarctica to follow them. Upon the trio's arrival, Kortzfleisch holds Renate hostage for Obi to surrender the Holy Grail, but Hitler and his tyrannosaurus, Blondi, invade the Moon base. After drinking from the Holy Grail, a rejuvenated Renate confronts and kills Hitler, but is mortally wounded by Kortzfleisch. Obi, Sasha, Malcolm, and the surviving inhabitants escape in an old ship, but Kortzfleisch chases after them. Using Sasha's old Nokia 3310, Obi hacks into Donald's iPhone, triggering the self-destruct mechanism and destroying the Vril spaceship.

During dinner, Malcolm comes out as gay, but collapses and seemingly dies from allergens in the food. Both he and Renate are given a space funeral, but Malcolm suddenly gets out of his coffin, revealing that he only went into a short coma, a condition he has had since childhood. As the ship makes its long travel to Mars, Obi and Sasha express their love for each other.

In a mid-credit sequence, it is revealed that Mars has been colonized by the Soviet Union.

The movie seems a little confused in places and a bit muddled in places.  Apart from that it isn't a bad effort.  I would give it about 8,5 out of 10.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #402 - Apr 16th, 2023 at 6:55pm

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Official Trailer

Well when you go to the movies with a 5 year old.

It was ok.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #403 - Apr 16th, 2023 at 8:44pm

Mulholland Drive.
Total crap.
Naomi Watts is fantastic.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.