Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55632 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #405 - Apr 17th, 2023 at 4:52pm

It has been 10 years since the Boston Marathon bombing of 2013. This action drama film depicts the events of the bombing and the following events in graphic detail. If you are not a fan of very violent shoot outs, this movie is not for you. Peter Berg directs a gritty film that anyone of police dramas will love.

Starring: Mark Wahlberg as Boston Police Department Sergeant Tommy Saunders (based on Sergeant Detective Danny Keeler)
Kevin Bacon as Richard DesLauriers, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Boston field office
John Goodman as Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis
J. K. Simmons as Watertown Police Sergeant Jeffrey Pugliese
Michelle Monaghan as Carol Saunders, Tommy's wife and registered nurse
Alex Wolff as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
Themo Melikidze as Tamerlan Tsarnaev
Michael Beach as Governor of Massachusetts Deval Patrick

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #406 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 10:47pm

The Pope's Exorcist

A rather overhyped supernatural horror film, starring Russell Crowe. The basic gist of the movie is that a demon has possessed the youngest child of a family that has inherited an abbey in Spain. The location being important for later in the movie. Having judged the child to being possessed, the mother, Julia, contacts a local priest to resolve the situation. Of course, the demon having the power of the Jedi is able to yeet the priest out of the room, declaring that it was the wrong priest he wanted. Father Gabriel (Russell Crowe) is assigned the task of exorcising the demon from the boy, before the demon becomes too strong.

Gabriel determines that the demon is much stronger than he first thought. It takes Gabriel some researching of the abbey to discover that the place has historical significance, dating back to the Spanish Inquisition. Upon discovering a secret library, which had been covered up by the church, Gabriel and the priest use their knowledge of exorcism to draw out the demon, at a cost to Father Gabriel himself. The finale of the movie features some real bs special effects not that far gone from other B-movies. And they try to tie in some tacked on side story about a ghost of a suicide victim that haunts Father Gabriel's past -- one which the demon uses to his advantage.

I felt that this movie was a mix of The Exorcist, Skyline, and the Babadook. But, it does not outdo any of them. Not a bad movie to watch if you want to pass the time with something mildly horrific. But the story seems so poorly executed that not even Russell Crowe could save the movie.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #407 - Apr 22nd, 2023 at 8:23pm

Six Minutes to Midnight - a 2020 British movie about what happened to the girls of the the Augusta-Victoria College which is a finishing school for daughters of the Nazi elite, located in the English coastal town of Bexhill-on-Sea. The school is under surveillance by the British secret service and the English teacher Wheatley is a government agent. Realising his cover has been blown, he flees to town, but disappears before he can report to his handler, Colonel Smith. Another agent, Captain Thomas Miller, who is half-German and speaks the language fluently, is sent to replace him. When the girls head to the beach for a swim, they find Wheatley's body washed into the shallows.

Miller looks for clues and during a party he overhears a German diplomat tell PT instructor Ilse Keller, herself a former pupil, of plans to secretly repatriate the students to Germany. Miller rushes to town to tell Smith the news, but Keller follows him, shoots Smith and frames Miller for it. Now wanted for murder and unable to prove his credentials, Miller attempts to hide from the police.

Despite disguising himself as a bandsman in a stolen uniform and joining a parade, he is caught and incarcerated in the local police cells, from which he is extracted by government agents Captain Drey and Corporal Willis. Miller reveals his identity as a British agent to Drey, offering a microfilm stashed at the school as evidence of his role. They take the handcuffed Miller back to the school to recover the film, a copy of Keller's list of British spies in Germany. At the school, Drey is revealed to be a Nazi sympathiser, but Miller overpowers him and goes on the run again. Local bus driver Charlie sees him along the road, and drives him to his farm, where, believing his story, he uses a hacksaw to remove the cuffs. Miller finds a phone box miles from anywhere, and has just enough time to pass on the code phrase "Six Minutes to Midnight" to his superiors before Drey and Willis arrive. Miller, realising that Willis is unaware of Drey's pro-Nazi sympathies, starts talking. Drey turns and shoots Willis as his cover has been blown; Miller runs for it, and Drey takes his time casually shooting at Miller before sighting for the kill. Before Drey can fire at Miller again, the dying Willis shoots his superior.

Miller returns to the school, where headmistress Miss Rocholl finds her charges all gone. They have been led, some reluctantly, by Keller to a clifftop where they form two lines to mark out a landing strip as the sun begins to set. A Luftwaffe Junkers Ju-52 arrives and the mädchen light their flares and hold them aloft, but a following RAF Spitfire forces the plane to turn away just as Miller and Rocholl pull up in Willis' car. Keller pulls a gun, intending to shoot rebellious student Gretel, but Miller, Rocholl and Gretel convince her not to; the girls run to Rocholl, and Keller surrenders to Miller.

A few days later, Miller says goodbye to Rocholl in her office at the school, and the girls sing a parting chorus of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary". From a radio comes Neville Chamberlain's voice announcing that Britain is at war with Germany.

Starring  Judi Dench, James D'Arcy, Jim Broadbent, Suzy Eddie Izzard, Carla Juri, Celyn Jones, David Schofield, Nigel Lindsay, Kevin Eldon, Maria-Victoria Dragus, Franziska Brandmeiern, Rupert Holliday-Evans, Tijan Marei, Andrew Byron, Bianca Nawrath, Luisa-Céline Gaffron, Joe Bone, Nicola Kelleher, Harley Broomfield, Mali Georgina Davies, Samuel Rush, Jayne Michele Pacitto, Evangeline Ward-Drummond, Daria Wolf, Patricia Winker  the movie is well acted and well written.  I'd give it 8 out of 10.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #408 - Apr 27th, 2023 at 9:15pm

A man called Otto - a bit of a tear jerker by Bob Hanks.  Otto is a widowed man, who wife meant everything to him.  She has shuffled off the mortal coil leaving him alone.  He's become bitter.  He decides when his work decides to retire him to end it all - to commit suicide.  So he is shown visiting a chain store and purchasing some rope and a hook.  Next he is shown cancelling his power, his phone, etc. and putting the hook into the ceiling of his living room.  He fastens the rope into a noose.  However before he gets to use it, he encounters his new neighbours, a couple, a woman from Mexico and man who is an IT consultant.  They are having trouble reversing their car with a trailer attached.  Exasperated Otto shows them how to do it and then goes back to his house across the street and tries to hang himself.  He fails of course.  We are treated to his memories, how he met his wife just after failing his Army medical.   He sees her at the railway station and she drops a book on the platform.  He rushes to give it to her and in the process has to board the wrong train to find her.  It is a case of love at first sight.

We are then treated to Otto trying various ways to commit suicide and failing, time after time.  His new neighbours and his old neighbours intrude more and more on his life.  He goes from being a bitter old man to become a more neighbourly man. He ends up giving driving lessons to his new neighbours because the wife doesn't have a license and is more than six months pregnant. He starts to fight a rapacious real estate broker company that is trying to move his old friends who live next door onwards and out of their house.  It is revealed that he suffers from a heredity heart condition which is why he failed his army medical examination years before.  His wife is revealed to have once been pregnant but who had become paralysed because of a bus accident and lost the baby.

Anyway he becomes more human and declares his new neighbour's wife to no longer to be an idiot, he dies and leaves his house and his car and his cat to the neighbours. Overall, a good movie.  I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #409 - Apr 27th, 2023 at 11:21pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 27th, 2023 at 9:15pm:
A man called Otto - a bit of a tear jerker by Bob Hanks. 

Is that Tom's brother?  Gordon and Rachel's in-law?

Bob Hanks. Tom De Niro. Bbwian Ross the systems engineer.  Jimmy Mozart.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #410 - May 8th, 2023 at 6:54pm

Bullet Train, with Brad Pitt, on Prime.

Fantastic, fun movie.

It's kinda like Kill Bill on a train, but a lot funnier.

Brad Pitt is so good when he does comedy.

It's not all fun and games though - there are some seriously gruesome scenes, and gallons of blood.

A couple of unaccredited cameos too.

Haven't enjoyed a film like this one for a long time.

10/10 from me.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #411 - May 9th, 2023 at 12:15am

That is generous, greggery. I decided against getting a copy of Bullet Train the moment I was walking out of the cinema having watched that movie.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #412 - May 10th, 2023 at 10:14am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 9th, 2023 at 12:15am:
That is generous, greggery. I decided against getting a copy of Bullet Train the moment I was walking out of the cinema having watched that movie.

I agree.

The banter falls a bit flat for some reason so the comedy element is a bit of a miss.

Kind of Kill Bill meets Pulp Fiction but not as good.

A few chuckles here and there and the special effects are good.

Overall : "meh".

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #413 - May 10th, 2023 at 10:24am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 9th, 2023 at 12:15am:

I guess I was just in the right mood for some crazy comedy/violence.

I loved it.

It gets 7.3 on IMDB.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #414 - May 11th, 2023 at 10:34pm

Renfield

Good ol' Nicolas Cage. He does a good job in this actually. Not a side-splitting comedy but a few laughs.

Worth a look.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #415 - May 13th, 2023 at 3:47pm

The very excellent Mr Dundee

A movie that received a lot of negative reviews from film critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Though, a negative review is not warranted for Paul Hogan's pseudo-biopic, I could not see this movie as much more than an amusing feel-good movie.

Paul Hogan stars as himself. A retired actor, living a relatively solitary life, Hogan is asked to make a sequel to his 1988 hit movie "Crocodile Dundee 2". When informed that there already is a sequel to the original sequel, the pitch meters take a turn for the worse. They offer Hogan a co-star in Will Smith to play 'Crocodile' Dundee's son. When informed that there is a problem with that because Will Smith is black, thus begins the decline in Hogan's reputation.

Throughout the movie, people and the entertainment media show contempt for Hogan, as they misinterpret Hogan's good intentions as racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, etc. And although still having friends in his inner circle, Australian celebrities have abandoned Hogan with censure.

Overall, the movie's storyline is depicted as one big spiralling into descent of an iconic comedian, whose only redemption was a good deed in trying to thwart a car thief.

I would say this movie would be good for Paul Hogan fans. But, outside of Australia, the movie might not do too well in popularity.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #416 - May 22nd, 2023 at 6:09pm

I've been watching, "Interview with the Vampire", not the pathetic Tom Cruise movie of the early 2000s but rather the more modern TV series set in New Orleans.  It is well acted and well written.  It occurs initially in UAE where the Vampire is now living, it is set 20 years after the movie, which is set in San Fancisco.  The Vampire makes contact with the same correspondent who initially interviews him and arranges for him to meet and re-interview him.  He recounts how he became a Vampire and what happened to him in New Orleans at the turn of the 20th century.  Makes interesting watching.   I'll give it a 9 out of 10.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #417 - May 23rd, 2023 at 6:58pm

Dollman

The trailer basically sums up the story. An alien police officer from the world of "Arcturus" is dragged into a wormhole, in pursuit of a mastermind criminal, Sprug  -- basically a head that is transported around on a floating machine. Both crash land on Earth. The officer, Brick Bardo, finds that everything on Earth is about 6 times larger in scale than his home planet.

Bardo's first encounter with humans comes when he intervenes in a woman, Debi, who has been kidnapped and threatened by gang members. To give you an idea of the type of weapon Bardo uses, he has this large handgun that fires a type of weapon that could practically tear apart and splatter any of Bardo's homeworld people. However, on Earth, the gun is about as effective as any large-calibre handgun. Bardo kills one gang member, injures another, and has a third member running off for help. In the meantime, Debi has located her rescuer and retrieves him and his spaceship to take back to her place. Did I mention that Brick Bardo is about 13 inches tall?

'Help' for the gang members arrives when the lead gang member, Braxton Red, shows up to investigate the incident. Braxton finds the criminal mastermind, Sprug in his own crashed spaceship. Sprug strikes a deal with Braxton to help him gain control of the neighbourhood -- part of New York City's gangland where Braxton kills off other gang members who try to cross into Braxton's territory.

The rest of the movie is a basic "capture the damsel and hold her hostage for the hero to rescue" type narrative. That is basically what we have for the movie. The hero arrives, saves the day, gets the girl. I think I said that Brick Bardo is about 13 inches tall. And we are left to ponder what kind of relationship Brick and Debi will have.

The movie has a real late 1980s vibe (even though it was released in the year 1991). If you like that type of techno-beat soundtrack, the fashions of the time, and the cringeworthy dialogue, this movie is for you. I could not see this movie as anything more than a B-grade movie. Think of the movies "Dark Angel" and "Robocop" mixed together, with the low-budget look of movies of that era.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #418 - May 29th, 2023 at 3:06pm

Just watched, "Toys and Pets", a Chinese animated movie meant for kids but amusing enough for adults to watch.  It stars Guanlin Ji and Jason Kesser, amongst others.  Small tea figurine Nathan doesn't change colour when he gets wet, even though he was made by the Toy Master. When he meets Timebot the robot, they embark on an adventure to discover why.  Their adventure takes them to an amusement park, then underground to find 3WMan and they encounter "The Flash" and acquisitive squirrel and some rats and then to the Robot Research Institute to discover Timebots origins.  Eventually, they defeat "The Flash" and his hench-rats.  Nathan discovers he wasn't fired enough and "The Flash" dies in the process.  I would give it an 8 out of 10,

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #419 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 7:33pm

Road Games

This 1981 thriller was a movie that I watched in part, some years ago. It was late at night and I missed the first half of the movie. Then I slept through some of the last half. I wanted to watch this movie in full. After having a buffering session with my free movie download, I had finally finished watching the movie in full.

Stacy Keach and Jamie Lee Curtis star in this Australian thriller. The basic premise is that truck driver, Quid (played by Keach) is asked to haul pork products to Perth, during a meatworker strike. Upon reluctantly agreeing, Quid finds that the motel that he was about to check in had its last room taken by a mysterious van driver who had pulled into the parking lot after Quid had been parked outside for a few minutes. The next day, having slept in his truck, Quid notices that the mysterious van driver had been watching very closely from his motel window the garbage men take away garbage. Quid finds it odd that someone would be so curious about it.

On the road, Quid finds that he has passed a hitchhiker a few times. Not only that, but Quid has caught up upon his journey with the same mysterious van driver a few times, too. Upon his third passing of the hitchhiker, Quid picks up the hitchhiker, Pam (played by Curtis) and offers her a lift. After a few notifications by radio announcers and being stopped by police officers, in relation to reports of missing women and found body parts, Quid begins to suspect that the van driver might be part of the equation.

Having spotted the van driver digging a hole in the Nullabor Plain, Quid is alarmed at the plausibility of his theory about following a likely serial killer. During one of his stops, he tries to inform the police. But, the inept police department and the unhelpful locals are a frustration to Quid. And when Quid discovers that his traveling companion dog is shot by the mysterious van driver that had been waiting outside, the chase becomes personal.

This movie is pretty good for a 1981 production. I thought Keach and Curtis both kept the movie interesting. Both should be praised for coming to Australia and working on such a B-movie that ended up being entertaining.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41
Send Topic Print