Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55644 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #450 - Aug 9th, 2023 at 3:34pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 7th, 2023 at 7:48pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 7th, 2023 at 9:59am:
Did you watch "Barbie"? The movie has a feminist vibe about it.

I don't think the PC touches to the script would soften the heart of a 1970s feminist.

The central theme of the movie was the Barbie world wresting back control of the place from men. If you are saying that feminists would not be happy about males losing their control of their lives to the advantage of females, fair enough. But the movie was made with the targete audience being young girls.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #451 - Aug 11th, 2023 at 9:46pm

Th Miracle Club.

https://www.sonyclassics.com/film/themiracleclub/

Like a small chamber theatre  piece - it is all about the faces and the characters.  Irish but could be anywhere. Checkovian.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #452 - Aug 12th, 2023 at 12:10pm

The Machine

This was pretty funny. Mark Hamill shows that he can do comedy too.

This seems to have gone under the radar, was an Amazon release I think?

Came across a free copy of it and gave it a look.

Mrs Nemo and I had a good laugh.  Grin

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #453 - Aug 12th, 2023 at 10:59pm

The Importance of Being Earnest - made in 1952, starring Michael Redgrave, Michael Denison, Edith Evans, Richard Wattis, Margaret Rutherford, Joan Greenwood, Dorothy Tutin, Walter Hudd, Miles Malleson, Aubrey Mather.  I watched it for Margaret Rutherford mainly, being an old fan of hers.  It is obviously a film of the play by Oscar Wilde, made up of an English farce, between Jack and his friend Algernon and their respective girl friends, all over Jack's real name.  He calls himself Jack, in the country and Earnest in town.  A marvelous exploration of English upperclass manners, well worth watching.  Joan Greenwood also shines.  I'd give it 9 out of 10.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #454 - Aug 22nd, 2023 at 11:52am

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Not as good as the first two but pretty good.

The usual comedic quips throughout.  Grin

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #455 - Aug 22nd, 2023 at 2:42pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 12th, 2023 at 10:59pm:
The Importance of Being Earnest - made in 1952, starring Michael Redgrave, Michael Denison, Edith Evans, Richard Wattis, Margaret Rutherford, Joan Greenwood, Dorothy Tutin, Walter Hudd, Miles Malleson, Aubrey Mather.  I watched it for Margaret Rutherford mainly, being an old fan of hers.  It is obviously a film of the play by Oscar Wilde, made up of an English farce, between Jack and his friend Algernon and their respective girl friends, all over Jack's real name.  He calls himself Jack, in the country and Earnest in town.  A marvelous exploration of English upperclass manners, well worth watching.  Joan Greenwood also shines.  I'd give it 9 out of 10.

Great movie.  A classic.

I've seen the play a few times too.

Remember seeing the play back in the '90s here in Australia and Lady Bracknell was played by a very famous English actress from TV & film, but I can't quite remember who it was now   Undecided

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #456 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 4:45pm

(warning: coarse language and explicit content)

Strays

Hooley-f'n-dooley, what a stain of a movie. Having watched "A Dog's Purpose" some years ago, this "Strays" movie was stylised to match the 'cuteness' factor of "A Dog's Purpose". But that was the only comparison between the two movies end there.

In "Strays", the main dog character "Reggie" is owned by Doug. Doug is a mean-spirited, stoner loser who does not have anything going for him in his life. When Reggie brings in an item of clothing that does not belong to Doug's then-girlfriend, everything spirals out of control for Doug, with his girlfriend leaving him. As an act of spite, Doug decides to keep Reggie for himself.

For a period of time, Reggie is the neglected pet of Doug. Doug is basically the alcoholic, drug-addicted, unemployed loser living a destitute life. With Reggie basically spending his time trying to get love and attention from Doug, Doug decides that Reggie is too much of a burden on his psyche. So, Doug tries to get rid of Reggie through abandonment. It takes a 3 hour journey into the city before Doug can rid himself sufficiently of Reggie being able to make it back to the house.

The movie takes a turn for the ominous, with Reggie becoming more and more disillusioned with his life. Despite making 3 new friends, Reggie's journey back to Doug -- for whatever reason -- is one obstacle after another. There is no real sense of danger or suspense. And it is stoner humour after stoner humour joke. I was bored of the movie by the halfway mark.

I would warn anyone not to watch this movie, unless they were really looking for a way to make themselves depressed.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #457 - Sep 8th, 2023 at 12:08am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 7th, 2023 at 8:39am:
Barbie has grossed $1 billion. 1970s feminists will be rolling over in their graves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66424359

I watched barbie last night.

A bit disappointed given all the hype.

Mind you, I could look at Margot Robbie all day and never tire of it.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #458 - Sep 9th, 2023 at 7:25am

Captain Nemo wrote on Sep 8th, 2023 at 12:08am:
issuevoter wrote on Aug 7th, 2023 at 8:39am:
Barbie has grossed $1 billion. 1970s feminists will be rolling over in their graves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66424359

I watched barbie last night.

A bit disappointed given all the hype.

Mind you, I could look at Margot Robbie all day and never tire of it.

In their heyday, Barbie dolls were reviled by feminists for giving young girls an un-natural stereotypical body-image to live up to. Not to get too deeply into the anti-glamour philosophy of the dykes among them. The movie tried to get around this with a kind of progressive-inclusive script and some humour. I knew this would be the case.

However, I didn't go to see it for Margot Robbie's appearance or the sound track. I could have sat through it without sound. It was the post-modernist/ mid-century style and pastel colours of the production that appealed to me. For similar reasons I rewatched Forbidden Planet recently.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #459 - Sep 10th, 2023 at 11:00pm

Forbidden Planet was so far ahead of its time. Great movie.  Cool

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #460 - Sep 25th, 2023 at 10:57pm

No one will save you

"Brynn is a seamstress still living in her childhood home who mourns the loss of her mother and best friend, Maude. She copes with these losses by constructing a model town in her living room. A past event appears to have turned the entire town against Brynn, so she leads an anxious, solitary and withdrawn life. One night she awakens to discover an intruder in her home and quickly realizes the intruder is a humanoid alien. Brynn attempts to escape but is stalked by the intruder. When the alien uses telekinesis to subdue her, Brynn accidentally stabs it in the head with the broken fragment of her model town's school bell tower, causing it to release Brynn". -- source: Wikipedia.

An alien invasion story (with alien possession) with a young woman, seemingly living alone and working as a seamstress, dealing with her own town's rejection of her. Much of the movie's dialogue is non-existent. The movie feels very ethereal. Kaitlyn Dever puts forth a good performance as "Brynn". Though, she seems to play the post-traumatic stress role to near perfection.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #461 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 11:38am

I watched Cocaine Bear on Netflix last night.

Hilarious   Grin

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #462 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 10:22am

Last night on SBS. "A Hard Days Night," of course I had seen it before, but one's perspective changes over time. The Beatles are so familiar to be almost timeless, but everyone's clothes seemed so ultra conservative by today's standards.

The soundtrack performances are mimed, and not very well in places. You have Paul singing John's part in several instances. And of course that dreadful habit of 1960s cameramen putting the focus right up a nose or mouth. I suppose they thought they were being arty.

One of the wittiest parts is when Paul's grandfather, Wilfred Bramble is arrested for hawking without a license. At the station, he kicks the bobbies in the shins and starts raving about the IRA and how he knows he is about to become a victim of police brutality.

Ringo is brought in also, and while the police are discussing what to do with them, grandad starts whispering to Ringo how to protect himself when they start beating them with rubber hoses. At that moment, the seargent says, "Would you lads like a cup of tea?"

A perfect piss-take of the Left's police-paranoia. Especially in Britain of the 1960s.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #463 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:19pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 11:38am:
I watched Cocaine Bear on Netflix last night.

Hilarious   Grin

I could not find anything about that movie "hilarious". The movie had some funny moments. But, nothing uproariously funny.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #464 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 8:37pm

Frank wrote on Jan 15th, 2022 at 10:41pm:
The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson.

Amusing, inventive, imaginative.

Roald Dahl short stories by Wes Anderson on Netflix.
Amusing, inventive, imaginative.

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/wes-anderson-netflix-short-films

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 41
Send Topic Print