Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55627 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #495 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 6:10pm

I've just wasted an hour plus watching the first half on 2001 A Space Odyssey.

So far, it has to be the most boring pointless movie I have ever, ever seen.  I must have tried to watch it in some prior year, and no wonder I switched off.

But now, having invested that hour plus, I am gonna see the rest.

Terrible move so far.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #496 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 8:07pm

Aussie wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 6:10pm:

So far, it has to be the most boring pointless movie I have ever, ever seen.  I must have tried to watch it in some prior year, and no wonder I switched off.

Terrible move so far.

For when it was made, 2001 was a visionary movie.  It was the most sophisticated SF movie of the period and far better than Star Wars. Clarke who wrote it, apparently left the premier in tears because the movie was very different to how he had envisaged it.  Kubrik did a masterly job on the movie.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #497 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 8:09pm

The World's Fastest Indian is a 2005 New Zealand biographical sports drama film based on the Invercargill, New Zealand speed bike racer Burt Munro and his highly modified 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle] Munro set numerous land speed records for motorcycles with engines less than 1,000 cc at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in the late 1950s and into the 1960s. The film stars Anthony Hopkins, and was produced, written, and directed by Roger Donaldson.

Burt Munro is portrayed as being an affable, ordinary, New Zealander with a passion for speed.  He travels to Bonneville in Utah with his motorcycle and along the way he encounters many helpful people such as a transexual Motel Clerk, policemen and various cowboys and Indians.  He meets in particular an Air Force pilot on leave from Vietnam, just before he reaches Bonneville.  Once there, he finds he should have registered his bike months before and he has to convince officials to let him run, which he does.  They allow him to run and he discovers his bike is unsteady at high speed so he decides to put a lead brick in it's front from melted down car batteries.  However he finds it doesn't fix the problem so discards the idea.  While doing his official trial, he loses his goggles and totals his bike.  It seems he goes back again after the movie finishes and makes his promise of having the fastest Indian good.  A movie well worth watching.  Hopkins excels as Munro, a likeable character.  10 out of 10.   Smiley

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #498 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 8:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 8:07pm:

Terrible move so far.

For when it was made, 2001 was a visionary movie.  It was the most sophisticated SF movie of the period and far better than Star Wars. Clarke who wrote it, apparently left the premier in tears because the movie was very different to how he had envisaged it.  Kubrik did a masterly job on the movie.

I remember going to see it on a school excursion when I was a kid.

Very thought provoking movie - I'm glad I had such a progressive English teacher who decided to take us to see it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #499 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 10:18pm

Terrible move so far.

I have finished watching this garbage.  Okay, I get it.  It was made in 1968 but what the f
uck
was it about?  What on Earth did anyone get out of the long scenes of the same image/message apart form agonising boredom?

Is it that we went from Ape to Human.  Big f
uck
ing deal, even in 1968 that was as boring as bat poo.

The erect tablet the apes were fingering has me stuffed.

There is a mission etc the Moon, wow, then to Jupiter, then a HAL stuffs around, then some long scenes of changing coloured lenses, then some wanker in a suit looking at another wanker on a table, dramatic music...go to embryo..end of movie.

WTF?

Absolute crap.

Watch it again, or for the first time, and tell me it is anything other than gimmickry, long drawn out scenes.

The whole movie could have sent the same message (whatever that was/is) in less than five bloody minutes.

Nah.

Trash.

Convince me otherwise with detail and reference to the movie.

WTF did it have to do with 'English?'

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #500 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 10:26pm

Terrible move so far.

That you describe 2001 as the most boring, pointless
and terrible movie would indicate that you didn't
really understand it at any depth.  You were obviously
expecting something lightweight, like the  Saturday
matinee stuff that made "Star Wars" a big hit with
those simply looking for no-brainer, glorified cartoons.

Released in 1968, the film is now widely regarded as
one of the greatest and most influential films ever
made.  At its most basic, 2001 is a parable about
mankind, and answers the questions it asks.

As a matter of interest, I'm wondering what science
fiction movie(s) would make your list of the most
accomplished, compelling and well produced top ten.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #501 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:11am

Quote:
At its most basic, 2001 is a parable about
mankind, and answers the questions it asks.

How so.

It truly is crap.  Fair dinkum.  Where is the subtlety, what is any subliminal message?  What was the point of making it other than  so show old gimmicky photography which now looks like something a one year old would come up with.

It is rubbish and people probably have tried to make it something it is not by ascribing stuff to it which is just not apparent or even credibly implied.

The tablet was symbolic for a TV set?  What?

Watch it again now (Netflix) and tell me how the long boring meaningless scenes actually mean something.  For example, I physically got up to check the TV at the start when all there was was a black screen with music playing which went on and on for minutes.  WTF was that for other then to ensure I was immediately bored s
hit
less?

I was reminded about why I detested being forced to read poems and then being asked..."What does the author mean?"  The only true answer is..."Whatever the f
uck
they intended it to mean, not what I reckon might have been in their bloody mind!"  It was all the rage to impute a quality to the poem which the author probably was not talking about at all.  It amounts to po faced intellectual snobbery.

Bah!
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2023 at 12:23pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #502 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 9:58am

2001 was a book I studied in High School.

The movie is purposely slow moving to convey the time taken to travel to Jupiter.

I liked the way the "unknown entity" that placed the obelisks provides an environment for Dave to exist in but the idea of such a long existing entity having to control the environment of the human sample varies slightly: kind of a fine-tuning margin of error trying to deal with a being that has such an infinitely short lifetime in comparison to the obelisk placing entity.

The book explains the story better than the movie but I reckon the movie was very good.

2010: The Year We Make Contact - the sequel movie also based on the 2010 book explains the concept of the "unknown entity" better, but the movie was not as good as 2001 in my opinion.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #503 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 12:29pm

Quote:
I liked the way the "unknown entity" that placed the obelisks provides an environment for Dave to exist in but the idea of such a long existing entity having to control the environment of the human sample varies slightly: kind of a fine-tuning margin of error trying to deal with a being that has such an infinitely short lifetime in comparison to the obelisk placing entity.

Dumb that down for this cultural desert please. I saw no obelisk.  HTF does even an obelisk provide anything?

Mate, you are dreaming up stuff to impute a meaning.

I neither read the book nor had any idea WTF the movie was about before I watched it. I went in with an open mind, had no expectation, and with that open mind, by the time it reached the end....it was just a trashy, boring as s
hit
, inexplicable in overall, and even specific sequence, movie to watch.  It ended in scenes which made no sense whatsoever to me.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #504 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 5:15pm

"2001: A Space Odyssey" was a movie that you either liked or hated, depending on your point of view. Much of the storyline was about the progress of man from pre-human ape to space voyaging technologically advanced people. I understand that the HAL program was there for the sake of conflict. But I think the ending had something to do with the astronaut seeing himself in the future.

You might be better off watching another Kubrick movie like "Full Metal Jacket".

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #505 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 6:13pm

Aussie wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 12:29pm:
Quote:

Dumb that down for this cultural desert please. I saw no obelisk. 

Monolith.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #506 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:15pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 5:15pm:
"2001: A Space Odyssey" was a movie that you either liked or hated, depending on your point of view. Much of the storyline was about the progress of man from pre-human ape to space voyaging technologically advanced people. I understand that the HAL program was there for the sake of conflict. But I think the ending had something to do with the astronaut seeing himself in the future.

You might be better off watching another Kubrick movie like "Full Metal Jacket".

Been there, done that.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #507 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 3:43pm

Aussie wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:15pm:

Been there, done that.

Happier with FMJ?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #508 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 4:13pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 23rd, 2023 at 3:43pm:
Aussie wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:15pm:

Been there, done that.

Happier with FMJ?

Sure.  No issue. 

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #509 - Nov 24th, 2023 at 9:47pm

No Highway in the Sky (also known as No Highway) is a 1951 black-and-white aviation drama film which stars James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins, Janette Scott, Elizabeth Allan, Ronald Squire, and Jill Clifford.

It was one of the first films that depicted a potential aviation disaster involving metal fatigue. Although the film follows the plot of Shute's novel in general, with James Stewart starring as Theodore Honey, an American Boffin working at Farnborough that is convinced that the tail on the Reindeer is unsafe.  He proceeds to Labrador to investigate a crash and encounters on the journey a film star, played by Dietrich and a stewardess played by Johns, traveling by a Reindeer.  Alarmed he informs the captain of the danger and the movie star and the stewardess.  The captain believes him as does the movie star and the stewardess.  They land at Gandar Airport and Honey collapses the Reindeer's undercarriage rather than allow it to fly on.  The airline want him hung, drawn and quartered and his superiors at Farnborough are unsure.  He goes through an investigation and Dietrich wants to stay but leaves, Johns declares she is going to marry him and the tail falls off the test airframe.  An excellent movie, well worth watching.  9 out 10.  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41
Send Topic Print