Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55639 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #555 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 6:39pm

Well - I watched Oppenheimer free weeks ago and nearly fell off my chair when 'Barbie' was put up against it.

Opie was a folk hero - Barbie was a.... plastic doll... what a hoot.... and terrible what was done to Oppenheimer afterwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/11/christopher-nolan-best-director-opp...

Don't laugh - Chris Nolan is my kid's mother's cousin - hence their second cousin... I don't make stories up - though I have copped one hell of a lot of 'tall poppy syndrome' from under-achievers... sounds familiar to me...

As I said to Marla - I'm by nature a gentle, trusting, loyal, honest, deeply spiritual soul, I don't make stories up and I am certified totally sane - civilised ... people have been sneaking up on me for decades... and I have always been left wondering WTF and YTF some loser would hate me when all I do is my job superlatively and never even consider myself special.... or they to be lesser .... never take the piss out of a pin-head or flea-brain physical unachiever or similar - never have...

EVERYTHING about my life, much of which sounds incredible to some/many, can be verified except one thing...... and those responsible admit mine are one of 172 'missing' records that may be 'held by the unit' (their words).

Vic probably knows something given he lives in Darkest Victoria...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #556 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 10:25pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 11th, 2024 at 6:39pm:
Don't laugh - Chris Nolan is my kid's mother's cousin - hence their second cousin... I don't make stories up - though I have copped one hell of a lot of 'tall poppy syndrome' from under-achievers... sounds familiar to me...

Was that a "Spaceballs" type joke -- ie., "father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate"?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #557 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 8:09pm

Gandhi - a 1982 epic biographical film based on the life of Mahatma Gandhi, a major leader in the Indian independence movement against the British Empire during the 20th century. A co-production between India and the United Kingdom, the film was directed and produced by Richard Attenborough from a screenplay written by John Briley. It stars Ben Kingsley in the title role. The biographical film covers Gandhi's life from a defining moment in 1893, as he is thrown off a South African train for being in a whites-only compartment and concludes with his assassination and funeral in 1948. Although a practising Hindu, Gandhi's embracing of other faiths, particularly Christianity and Islam, is also depicted.

Gandhi was released by Columbia Pictures in India on 30 November 1982, in the United Kingdom on 3 December, and in the United States on 8 December. It was praised for providing a historically accurate portrayal of the life of Gandhi, the Indian independence movement and the deleterious results of British colonisation on India. Its production values, costume design, and Kingsley's performance received worldwide critical acclaim. It became a commercial success, grossing $127.8 million on a $22 million budget.

The film glossed over Gandhi's attitude to Blacks and women.  It basically told a vanilla version of his life and made him into a saint like figure.  The supporting cast are superb and feature such greats as John Mills, Edward Fox, Martin Sheen, Sir John Gielgud, Candice Bergman, and others.  Well worth watching.  9 out of 10. Cool

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #558 - Mar 14th, 2024 at 2:21pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 13th, 2024 at 8:09pm:
Gandhi

The film glossed over Gandhi's attitude to Blacks and women.  It basically told a vanilla version of his life and made him into a saint like figure.

Not to worry. The Ghanaians today have been very vocal about their hatred of Gandhi. Having pulled down statues of Gandhi, it is telling that the Ghanaians know about the racism Gandhi had for them (and other black Africans). So too was Gandhi known for his hatred of the English. The media might portray Gandhi as a passivist. However, Gandhi had no problem trying to passively-aggressively obtain Indian independence by telling the Allies in WW2 that they could win the war by allowing the Nazis to invade and occupy peacefully. South Africans were glad to see the back of him.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #559 - Mar 14th, 2024 at 9:12pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 11th, 2024 at 10:25pm:

Was that a "Spaceballs" type joke -- ie., "father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate"?

No joke at all - just literal truth.  He's their mother's cousin.  Ex and daughter are both in movies too.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #560 - Mar 14th, 2024 at 11:19pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 14th, 2024 at 9:12pm:

No joke at all - just literal truth.  He's their mother's cousin.  Ex and daughter are both in movies too.

Sorry, I have to continue the Spaceballs reference. "And what does that make (you)?".

Like, I could say that Allan Langer is my sister's brother's mother's brother's wife's former pupil. Or I could say that my aunt taught Allan Langer in school.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #561 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 12:20am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 14th, 2024 at 9:12pm:

GTTF is prone to fantasizing and he then believes figments from his fantasies are real.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #562 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 9:00pm

I, Tonya - a 2017 American biographical sports mockumentary black comedy film directed by Craig Gillespie from a screenplay by Steven Rogers. It follows the life and career of American figure skater Tonya Harding and her connection to the 1994 assault on her rival Nancy Kerrigan. The film states it is based on "contradictory" and "totally true" interviews with Harding and her ex-husband Jeff Gillooly, suggesting they are unreliable narrators. This means the viewer must decide for themselves whether to see the film as the truth or as a version concocted by Harding herself. It features darkly comedic interviews with the characters in mockumentary style, set in the modern day, and breaks the fourth wall. Margot Robbie (who also produced) stars as Harding, Sebastian Stan as Gillooly, and Allison Janney as Harding's mother LaVona Golden. Julianne Nicholson, Caitlin Carver, Paul Walter Hauser, and Bobby Cannavale also star.

Loosely based on actual events, the film depicts Harding as a victim, reframing the narrative around her implication in the aftermath of the crime and other criticism of her actions.  Margo Robbie comes across as semi-believable as Harding but the real star of the movie is Alison Janney, she shines.  She was first J.C.Kreig of West Wing and in this movie shows her real acting talents.   A movie I am still unsure about.  Is it worth watching?  I am unsure.  8 out of 10.  Cool

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #563 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 9:57pm

"I, Tonya" is probably worth watching at least once. That is, unless you are caught up with the drama of the real Nancy Kerrigan incident in 1994. I thought the whole incident was faked by Kerrigan to get sympathy. But, the years went by and people were implicated. Having heard the admission that Harding knew about the plan to injure Kerrigan, my opinion changed. But, even then, Kerrigan was being a big drama queen.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #564 - Mar 23rd, 2024 at 3:20pm

Well - I watched Oppenheimer free weeks ago and nearly fell off my chair when 'Barbie' was put up against it.

Opie was a folk hero - Barbie was a.... plastic doll... what a hoot.... and terrible what was done to Oppenheimer afterwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/11/christopher-nolan-best-director-opp...

As I said to Marla - I'm by nature a gentle, trusting, loyal, honest, deeply spiritual soul, I don't make stories up and I am certified totally sane - civilised ... people have been sneaking up on me for decades... and I have always been left wondering WTF and YTF some loser would hate me when all I do is my job superlatively and never even consider myself special.... or they to be lesser .... never take the piss out of a pin-head or flea-brain physical unachiever or similar - never have...

EVERYTHING about my life, much of which sounds incredible to some/many, can be verified except one thing...... and those responsible admit mine are one of 172 'missing' records that may be 'held by the unit' (their words).

Vic probably knows something given he lives in Darkest Victoria...

I watched Oppenheimer yesterday, and I was pretty impressed.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Nolan, and I wasn't sure if I could sit through a three hour movie, but I did and I'm glad I did.

Visually stunning, great acting, and just great film-making in general.

Robert Downy was the standout for me, but everyone was good.

9 out of 10 from me.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #565 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 2:01pm

Deadly Cuts is a 2021 Irish comedy film directed and written by Rachel Carey.  It stars Angeline Ball, Ericka Roe, Lauren Larkin, Shauna Higgins, Aidan McArdle, Pauline McLynn, Victoria Smurfit.  It is about a hair salon in a mythical depressed suburb of Dublin called "Piglintown".  The girls are being stood over by a local thug who is demanding protection money from them and all the other shops in a small shopping centre.  One morning one of the girls comes in late explaining that the thug had threatened to cut her long locks of hair off.  She is terrified and suddenly the thug appears at the door and forces his way in and threatens all the girls that unless they pay him, he'll cut all their hair off.  A fight breaks out between the thug and the girls and he ends up dead.  The girls stare at one another and ask what are they going to do now?  They need to dispose of the body and next door is a butcher's shop which happens to have a large industrial sized oven in it.  So, they have the keys because the butcher is always forgetting his and he keeps a spare set in the hair dressers'  So they lug the body next door and after a few comical scenes about needing to cut him up and saying a few last words, they do the deed.

The rest of the movie is them hiding what they have done.  They enter a hair dressing competition which their owner had been humiliated in once before, when younger.  She ends up facing her nemesis and needs to defeat her, played by Belinda Smurfit.   The thug's 2-i-c becomes suspicious and rings his phone and it rings on live TV during the competition.  So, off he trots to confront the girls.  Now, the girls have a pistol that they confiscated from an OAP who was collecting money for their effort in the competition to protect herself against the local thugs.  Anyway, the thug's 2-i-c appears on stage and threatens the girls and the mousiest one who is barely articulate draws the pistol thinking it is a fake and shoots and kills him in front of everybody but assures them that it is a fake and all part of the act.  Everybody believes her and the show goes on with a dead body in a cart.  They win the competition against all the odds and hide the body.  Later the next day in the salon a sleezy councilor  appears and threatens them with closure because of the thug's antics.  They are devastated but the OAP who was robbed earler does him in with her knitting needle.  They remark that you, "don't upset the oldsters of Piglintown."   They look at each other and decide to dispose of the councilor's body in the butcher's oven.  That is where the movie ends.   It is a funny movie, well worth watching and includes many favourites of Irish TV and movies, it includes Angeline Ball, who played Imelda Quirke in the Commitments movie, Pauline McLynn is best known for her roles as Mrs. Doyle in the Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted, Victoria Smurfit who was in Bulletproof Monk.  A movie well worth watching,  9 out 10. Cool

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #566 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 2:06pm

It's on SBS: Deadly Cuts

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #567 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 7:28pm

Scandi epic about the crusades and the unification of Sweden in the 12th century in the face of Danish designs on the kingdom.

Not an African in sight. Lotsa Skargards.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi887555609/?playlistId=tt0837106&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #568 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 8:29am

The Giver

This is a movie that I remember seeing many years ago, and whilst I recall enjoying it at the time, I failed to grasp the hidden warnings in the movie about sanitising our world against things that may not conform to the concept of idealism and the need to restrict things of the past to people of the present and future.   I watched it again yesterday and I was quite surprised how some of the things presented in the movie as “not to be discussed” - such as love and emotions, war, killing people, imperfection etc are starting to creep into our lives and controlled by Government or in this case, a “Council Of Elders"

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #569 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 4:30pm

Godzilla vs Kong: a New Empire - a 2024 action fantasy movie from Hollywood.  Directed by Adam Wingard. Produced by Legendary Pictures, it is a sequel to Godzilla vs. Kong (2021), and the fifth film in the MonsterVerse franchise. It is also the 38th film of the Godzilla franchise and the 13th film in the King Kong franchise. The film stars Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Dan Stevens, Kaylee Hottle, Alex Ferns, and Fala Chen. Hall, Henry, and Hottle reprise their roles from the previous film. In the film, Kong encounters more of his species in the Hollow Earth and must unite with Godzilla to stop their tyrannical leader and a powerful, frost breathing Titan from destroying the surface.

Not overly much of a story line, just a good action fantasy movie.  Film supposedly in Rome, the Arctic, Gibraltar. Cairo and Rio, it features multiple fights between Kong, Godzilla and the Star King.  Kong gains an adopted son and a pet Titan.  Overall not a bad movie, well worth watching to complete the story line.  9 out of 10. Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41
Send Topic Print