Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 55650 times)
greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #45 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 7:33pm

Frank wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 5:16pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:38pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Dec 1st, 2019 at 8:02pm:
The Irishman

Quite a long movie at 3:20 odd, but kept me involved all the way.

Makes one re-ponder the possibilities about the assassination of JFK.   Huh

Gangster movie par excellence. Beautifully shot. Crisp editing.

All the greats are there:

Robert De Niro      ...      Frank Sheeran
Al Pacino      ...      Jimmy Hoffa
Joe Pesci      ...      Russell Bufalino
Harvey Keitel      ...      Angelo Bruno
Ray Romano      ...      Bill Bufalino
Bobby Cannavale      ...      Skinny Razor
Anna Paquin      ...      Older Peggy Sheeran
Stephen Graham      ...      Anthony 'Tony Pro' Provenzano
Stephanie Kurtzuba      ...      Irene Sheeran
Jack Huston      ...      Robert Kennedy / RFK
Kathrine Narducci      ...      Carrie Bufalino
Jesse Plemons      ...      Chuckie O'Brien
Domenick Lombardozzi      ...      Fat Tony Salerno
Paul Herman      ...      Whispers DiTullio
Gary Basaraba      ...      Frank 'Fitz' Fitzsimmons

One of Joe Pesci's finest roles I reckon.
Ray Romano was surprisingly good too.
Robert De Niro being Robert De Niro again ... but a very good performance.
Al Pacino was good, maybe not as good as in The Godfather movies?

I thought painting houses meant painting houses too.   Shocked

Yeah, I watched this the other night.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I'd consider a classic.

Good performances by everyone.

I laughed out loud at the scene about the frozen fish on the back seat of the car.

"What sort of fish?"

"I dunno".

"Where did you buy it?"

"From a fish shop".

"What fish shop?"

etc.

Reminded me of Tarantino.

Good movie, worth a look, but not a "must see" in my book.

I give it seven fishes out of ten.

"They are all called Tony!"    Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, that was funny too    Grin

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #46 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 1:10am

Anyone seen 'Danger Close'?  Watched it twice free online... (eat my shorts)..... got a few issues with it....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #47 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 1:29am

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:26pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 5th, 2019 at 11:41pm:
Danger Close (free online - so eat me)...

This film story goes against everything I've ever known about Long Tan.... including weaponry ....

Is history being re-written?

Interesting claim.   On what basis do you make, Graps?

Well... Harry Smith's* history for a start... then there are contradictions galore... much of the basic engagement is fairly right... but a lot of the secondary stuff is... absurd.  Way too many M-16's for 1966.... and a characterisation of the grunts and officers as pretty dumb... Brig Jackson, WWII and Korea, went on to some major command postings, but is shown as a weak and ineffectual leader scared of his own shadow...every tactical move was wrong.... every move was caught with both feet off the ground and basic rules were not followed at halts etc... including the furphy that 'there is only one company left to defend 300 support personnel' - 1 ATF was 5RAR and 6RAR.. not just 6RAR...

Who wrote this?

*ex British Army, Malaya, and took Australian citizenship because he was so impressed by the performance of D Coy... how is it that a company trained by a Commando officer is so lax and has no idea of basic self-protection in the field .. Harry Smith is shown standing up to a Brigadier and saying that D Coy was so good because he trained it, and then they stuff up every tactical basic move in the field, standing like figures four on a shooting range waiting for it all to happen... when you halt, you spread out and go to cover... and never cross a blue feature without a firm base of fire, or anything else for that matter ..  you don't just walk through the donga waiting to be shot at or stand still waiting for a fusillade ... and Gordon Sharp's characterisation??  Nasho officers were better than that.. and in a unit with the character shown as Harry Smith? NFH!

I KNOW the Parachute Training School at Williamtown and 1 Commando at Georges Heights and the OTS at Holsworthy around that time ... not much up on 2 Commando in Malbun (at that time)  .. too cold for my liking...

Oh -and "NVA"?  VC local farm dogs and Main Force VC... not NVA... and so very many AKs...

BTW - I compared the kill ratio to the 3rd Battle of the Hook 1953, Korea.. an all night bombardment by massed artillery killed 250 Chinese... and 245 VC died at Long Tan, 50% by small arms fire in 3.5 hours.... now there are questions being raised about 'body count' and inflated figures, though the official story was that counting stoped at sunset the following day - at 245 ...... and David Sabben's 10 platoon caught a heap lining up in lanes and hit them with MGs... not a few rounds from M-16s...  then an hour+ for M-113s to cover 5km?

Need I go on?  Yes - the grunts I know hate 'I was Only Nineteen'... it makes them look like victims.... so does this movie..... and they don't see themselves that way...

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2019 at 1:42am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #48 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 10:52pm

I watched this Danger Close movie last night online. I thought that the specific weaponry that the actors used were not really the highlight of the movie. The main feature is that this movie was for entertainment purposes. Danger Close gave an interpretation of what happened on August 18, 1966. How close the events were re-enacted compared to the actual events, only the soldiers that were there can tell you.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #49 - Dec 22nd, 2019 at 10:33am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 8th, 2019 at 1:29am:
Well... Harry Smith's* history for a start... then there are contradictions galore... much of the basic engagement is fairly right... but a lot of the secondary stuff is... absurd.  Way too many M-16's for 1966.... and a characterisation of the grunts and officers as pretty dumb... Brig Jackson, WWII and Korea, went on to some major command postings, but is shown as a weak and ineffectual leader scared of his own shadow...every tactical move was wrong.... every move was caught with both feet off the ground and basic rules were not followed at halts etc... including the furphy that 'there is only one company left to defend 300 support personnel' - 1 ATF was 5RAR and 6RAR.. not just 6RAR...

Who wrote this?

*ex British Army, Malaya, and took Australian citizenship because he was so impressed by the performance of D Coy... how is it that a company trained by a Commando officer is so lax and has no idea of basic self-protection in the field .. Harry Smith is shown standing up to a Brigadier and saying that D Coy was so good because he trained it, and then they stuff up every tactical basic move in the field, standing like figures four on a shooting range waiting for it all to happen... when you halt, you spread out and go to cover... and never cross a blue feature without a firm base of fire, or anything else for that matter ..  you don't just walk through the donga waiting to be shot at or stand still waiting for a fusillade ... and Gordon Sharp's characterisation??  Nasho officers were better than that.. and in a unit with the character shown as Harry Smith? NFH!

I KNOW the Parachute Training School at Williamtown and 1 Commando at Georges Heights and the OTS at Holsworthy around that time ... not much up on 2 Commando in Malbun (at that time)  .. too cold for my liking...

Oh -and "NVA"?  VC local farm dogs and Main Force VC... not NVA... and so very many AKs...

BTW - I compared the kill ratio to the 3rd Battle of the Hook 1953, Korea.. an all night bombardment by massed artillery killed 250 Chinese... and 245 VC died at Long Tan, 50% by small arms fire in 3.5 hours.... now there are questions being raised about 'body count' and inflated figures, though the official story was that counting stoped at sunset the following day - at 245 ...... and David Sabben's 10 platoon caught a heap lining up in lanes and hit them with MGs... not a few rounds from M-16s...  then an hour+ for M-113s to cover 5km?

Need I go on?  Yes - the grunts I know hate 'I was Only Nineteen'... it makes them look like victims.... so does this movie..... and they don't see themselves that way...

Interesting observations.  However, what you are mistaking for "mistakes" were actually done for dramatisation and because the camera has only a limited field of view.  It is something that has annoyed me for a long time about Hollywood war movies - the small unit that bunches up, is always talking, can't do tactical movement, etc.   You see it time and time again in every war movie, Graps.  It is 'cause the directors only have one understanding of how to make a movie - everybody bunches up to be in shot, they always talk to get their messages across, they don't do tactical movement 'cause it isn't what the director likes.

The only movie I've seen which attempted to overcome those limitations was "Odd Angry Shot."   I first saw that movie with a mate who was ex-SAS.  He knew the technical advisor on the movie production and said it was done properly 'cause that was the only way the technical advisor knew how to do it.  Even so, occasionally the actors would whisper to one another when in the field, when in reality the SASR would go days/weeks without talking at all, just using hand signals and pushes and shoves to get their message across to one another.

Now, "Danger Close" was close but not 100% accurate to what really happened at Long Tan.   I was actually rather impressed when you first see Delta Company moving into the rubber plantation.  They had obviously taught the actors how to do tactical formations 'cause they had an accurate Y formation in the open stubble outside it, although as I remarked to my brother who had also served that it was a bit close (in order to get into the camera's field of view no doubt).  There were obvious departures for dramatisation - the "hut" in the rubber plantation, the use of a large "dip" where the Coy HQ sheltered from the fire when in reality it was quite flat ground with minor dips/rises.  The conversations/arguments between the officers back at Nui Dat, the rebellion by the helicopter pilots, the lightning strike were all bullshit IIRC.   They were there to allow the audience to feel the tension of the battle as it occurred.

Unfortunately, you have to accept that.   It was good to see Kiwi artillerymen manning the L5 105mm howitzers at Nui Dat.  It was good to see the M113s without T150 turrets.  It was good to see the use of Owens and M16s (IIRC there were fewer M16s than you appear to believe).

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #50 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 12:54pm

The Lighthouse

Shot in B&W and narrow resolution to emulate an old movie.

This is an oddly fascinating movie.

Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe put in equally compelling performances. Pattinson producing nothing like the old Harry Potter performances.

This is kind of like a Chekhov play.

Pretty gripping stuff.  Shocked

Robert Pattinson ... Thomas Howard
Willem Dafoe ... Thomas Wake
Valeriia Karaman ... Mermaid

As the wavering cry of the foghorn fills the air, the taciturn former lumberjack, Ephraim Winslow, and the grizzled lighthouse keeper, Thomas Wake, set foot in a secluded and perpetually grey islet off the coast of late-19th-century New England. For the following four weeks of back-breaking work and unfavourable conditions, the tight-lipped men will have no one else for company except for each other, forced to endure irritating idiosyncrasies, bottled-up resentment, and burgeoning hatred. Then, amid bad omens, a furious and unending squall maroons the pale beacon's keepers in the already inhospitable volcanic rock, paving the way for a prolonged period of feral hunger; excruciating agony; manic isolation, and horrible booze-addled visions. Now, the eerie stranglehold of insanity tightens. Is there an escape from the wall-less prison of the mind?

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #51 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 12:56pm

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

I liked it.

Received a Gold Class experience Christmas gift from the kids. Cool

Some of the critics didn't rate this one too highly but for me it was very good.

While the First Order continues to ravage the galaxy, Rey finalizes her training as a Jedi. But danger suddenly rises from the ashes as the evil Emperor Palpatine mysteriously returns from the dead. While working with Finn and Poe Dameron to fulfill a new mission, Rey will not only face Kylo Ren once more, but she will also finally discover the truth about her parents as well as a deadly secret that could determine her future and the fate of the ultimate final showdown that is to come.

Carrie Fisher ... Leia Organa (archive footage)
Mark Hamill ... Luke Skywalker
Adam Driver ... Kylo Ren
Daisy Ridley ... Rey
John Boyega ... Finn
Oscar Isaac ... Poe Dameron
Anthony Daniels ... C-3PO
Naomi Ackie ... Jannah
Domhnall Gleeson ... General Hux
Richard E. Grant ... General Pryde
Lupita Nyong'o ... Maz Kanata
Joonas Suotamo ... Chewbacca
Kelly Marie Tran ... Rose Tico
Ian McDiarmid ... Emperor Palpatine

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #52 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 12:57pm

Judy

Renée Zellweger delivers an incredible performance.

She can sing too.

Not to take away from the brilliant performance by Zellweger, the movie went a tad too long at 1h 58min

Still, well worth a look.

Legendary performer Judy Garland (Renée Zellweger) arrives in London in the winter of 1968 to perform a series of sold-out concerts.

Renée Zellweger ... Judy Garland
Jessie Buckley ... Rosalyn Wilder
Finn Wittrock ... Mickey Deans
Rufus Sewell ... Sid Luft
Michael Gambon ... Bernard Delfont
Richard Cordery ... Louis B. Mayer
Royce Pierreson ... Burt Rhodes
Darci Shaw ... Young Judy
Andy Nyman ... Dan
Daniel Cerqueira ... Stan
Bella Ramsey ... Lorna Luft
Lewin Lloyd ... Joey Luft
Tom Durant Pritchard ... Ken Frisch (as Tom Durant-Pritchard)
John Dagleish ... Lonnie Donegan
Adrian Lukis ... Dr. Hargreaves

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 5:48pm

Loving Vincent  Watched this last night. Completely blown away. Mesmerised.

Also, watched Heidi over Christmas. Twice.

Do you ever get gripped by an irresistible nostalgia for a time BEFORE you were born?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #54 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 5:29pm

1917 - an interesting film.  Fairly accurate and true to the period, although a few minor problems (the wearing of officers' rank on the sleeve, which ended officially in 1916, the lack of Lewis guns).   A bit reminiscent of Gallipoli,  I'd give it a 8 out of ten.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 9:06pm

I saw Little Women with my wife last weekend. Very much a movie of our times:  I don't think Meryl Streep would have participated if not for the strong pro-woman script. I felt that at times the movie was a response to the misogyny that Trump has reawakened.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #56 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 7:36pm

Just watched (again) "Bran Neu Dae" which is a unique Indigenous Australian musical, based off the stage musical of the same name.   It features Geoffrey Rush, Ernie Dingo, Jessica Mauboy, Missy Higgins, Deborah Mailman and Magda Szubanski.  It tells the story of Willie, a boy from Broome sent to Perth at a Catholic college to become a priest.  He revolts and runs off to Broome to be with his girlfriend and mother, pursued by Father Benedictus played by Rush.  Loads of music, dancing and fun!   Cool

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #57 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 3:49pm

The Invisible Man

A decent horror flick. I sat through the movie without feeling too uncomfortable. The attack scenes by the invisible man were quite haunting. But the ending got a little too redeeming for the harassed character.

One reviewer gave the film a "B+". I thought that was somewhat generous. "B-" would be a better rating. I felt that the movie was a high budget tv movie. The special effects were good enough to pass for a decent theatre movie.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 3:59pm

I watched True History of the Kelly Gang on the long weekend (on Stan).

Quite an unusual movie in some ways.

Sort of a British punk version of the Ned Kelly story   Undecided

Russel Crowe's in it, as well as Charlie Hunnam (from Sons of Anarchy).

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #59 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 9:49pm

"Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears" Just went to see this my mother and wife. Enjoyable movie of the "Miss Fisher Investigates" TV series. Worth watching. Miss Fisher finally gets to kiss her boyfriend Detective Inspector Jack. Set in Melbourne, the UK and Palestine it is a good romp. Even the comment from Beatrice, her secretary and companion is worth the price of admission.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 41
Send Topic Print