Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 141
Send Topic Print
⮞ ⮞ Americans Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜ (Read 127882 times)
Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

⮞ ⮞ Americans Will Always Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜
Reply #1695 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 6:34pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 22nd, 2021 at 5:14pm:
Poor,poor, Panther, where do you choose to live?  The US or Australia? You live here, under our laws. Laws which ensure our safety.  Laws which prevent you from owning a semi-automatic long arm.  Laws which you decry all the time.  You choose not to live in the USA.  You choose to live here. You are a hypocrite.   You love the safety. Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It's true....I love it here, but like Judy Garland said.....there's no place like home....

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2021 at 7:46am by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #1696 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 6:35pm

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2021 at 7:47am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: ⮞ ⮞ Americans Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜
Reply #1697 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 7:29pm

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sane people would fund their police properly.  Sane people would pay their taxes.  Seems you like to live in a sane society and reap all the benefits without the responsibilities of paying for it.  Freeloaders don't pay for the protection that sane police provide. Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #1698 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 9:21am

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Jim Lahey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Lisa's Merc
Reply #1699 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 9:22am

How many school shootings so far this year?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #1700 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 10:26am

Jim Lahey wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 9:22am:

A few probably........No matter the law(s), criminals can & will always get guns illegally.........

So Gweggy...what's your point?.....do you foolishly believe Law Abiding American Gun Owners will give up their guns, or their Constitutional Rights to Keep & Bear Arms because a few criminal gang-bangers shoot & kill a few school kids??? .......

On the contrary Gweggy, mark my words:
Law Abiding American Gun Owners
will increase their grip even tighter!!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2021 at 11:35am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #1701 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:08pm

"Gang-bangers?"   Law abiding gun owners more like.  Your claims fall down whenever we look at who owns the guns which they misuse.  Most fall into the ranks of the law abiding until the moment they kill some little kids.  You disgust me with your hypocrisy, your disregard for the lives of the innocent.  Tsk, tsk.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jim Lahey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Lisa's Merc
Re: ⮞ ⮞ Americans Will Always Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜
Reply #1702 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:13pm

Panther wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 10:26am:
Jim Lahey wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 9:22am:

A few probably........No matter the law(s), criminals can & will always get guns illegally.........

So Gweggy...what's your point?.....do you foolishly believe Law Abiding American Gun Owners will give up their guns, or their Constitutional Rights to Keep & Bear Arms because a few criminal gang-bangers shoot & kill a few school kids??? .......

https://imgur.com/3m8TicF.gifhttps://imgur.com/4F6nbS9.gifhttps://imgur.com/8HaR1LB.gif

How many school shootings this year?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #1703 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:55pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:13pm:
Panther wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 10:26am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 9:22am:

https://imgur.com/3m8TicF.gifhttps://imgur.com/4F6nbS9.gifhttps://imgur.com/8HaR1LB.gif

Gunna get repetitive huh Gweggy....You saw my answer...So go    ... yerself!!!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2021 at 1:05pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Jim Lahey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Lisa's Merc
Reply #1704 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:59pm

I didn't quite catch the answer...

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #1705 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 1:08pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:59pm:
I didn't quite catch the answer...

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2021 at 1:15pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #1706 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 1:12pm

Stop being so childish, Panther...  Tsk, tsk. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #1707 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 1:45pm

Panther wrote on Oct 22nd, 2021 at 6:35pm:

No They don't

If that were true there wouldn't be over a 100 people shot dead in the US every day.

Guns do the exact opposite of saving lives.

Argue with the facts if you like but please try to not outright lie.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #1708 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 3:36pm

There are far more DGUs than murders

Source:      
TMT
       Quote:
Americans know that guns take many innocent lives every year, but many don’t know that guns also save them.

On May 15, an attacker at an apartment complex in Fort Smith, Ark., fatally shot a woman & then fired 93 rounds at other people before a man killed him with a bolt-action rifle. Police said he “likely saved a number of lives in the process.”

On June 30, a 12yo. Louisiana boy used a hunting rifle to stop an armed burglar who was threatening his mother’s life during a home invasion.

On July 4, a Chicago gunman shot into a crowd of people, killing one & wounding two others before a concealed-handgun permit holder shot & wounded the attacker. Police praised him for stepping in.

These are just a few of the nearly 1,000 instances reported by the media so far this year in which gun owners have stopped mass shootings & other murderous acts, saving countless lives. & crime experts say such high-profile cases represent only a small fraction of the instances in which guns are used defensively.

Americans who look only at the daily headlines would be surprised to learn that, according to academic estimates, defensive gun uses – including instances when guns are simply shown to deter a crime – are four to five times more common than gun crimes, & far more frequent than the roughly 20,000 murders or fewer each year, with or without a gun. But even when they prevent mass public shootings, defensive uses rarely get national news coverage.

“Nobody who has done their homework on defensive gun use could possibly believe reading news articles accurately captures anything but an infinitesimal share of DGUs,” Tomislav Kovandzic, an associate professor of criminology at the University of Texas at Dallas, told RealClearInvestigations. “The only way to measure defensive gun uses is with surveys. While there is no such thing as a perfect measure of anything, the fact that they consistently show large numbers of defensive gun uses can’t be ignored.”

The Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey indicates that around 100,000 defensive gun uses occur each year – an estimate that, though it may seem like a lot, is actually much lower than 17 other surveys.

These other surveys screen respondents by asking if they have been threatened with violence (by contrast with the DOJ’s survey, which asks if they have been the victims of a crime). This produces more self-acknowledged defensive gun users, since someone who successfully brandished a gun is less likely to self-characterize as a crime victim. Survey data indicate that in 95% of cases when people use guns defensively, they merely show the gun to make the criminal back off.

Such DGUs rarely make the news, though a few do. In March, a man police described as “armed & dangerous” attempted to rob a home in Smith County, Texas. The homeowner pulled a gun & the intruder “fled away on foot.” The criminal had shot a woman the night before & had previous “outstanding warrants for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon &felon in possession of a firearm.”

In May, in Ogden, Utah, a stranger grabbed an 11-year-old girl on a school playground. An armed teacher ran outside & confronted the suspect, giving the girl the chance to pull away from the attacker. The teacher held the man at gunpoint until police arrived.

“Media stories cannot be trusted to accurately reflect the number or type of defensive gun uses that actually occur,” Professor Gary Mauser of Canada’s Simon Fraser University told RCI. Mauser has conducted national surveys on defensive gun use. “National surveys find that firearms are rarely fired when used to stop a violent attack,” he said. “Such cases are unlikely to be reported to the police, & even less likely to be found in media stories.”

Many leading outfits rely on the Gun Violence Archive to track firearm use. The GVA, however, relies primarily on news reports. Through this unvirtuous circle, the public learns of the most extreme cases, which academic research suggests is actually a fraction of gun uses.

RealClearInvestigations examined Gun Violence Archive data from Jan. 1 to Aug. 10 of this year, & found 774 defensive gun uses, fully 85% involving people shot: 43% resulting in death & 42% percent in wounding. Less than 4% of cases involved no shots fired.

Experts interviewed by RCI said this coverage makes defensive gun uses appear as if they end in fatalities or woundings at much higher rates than they actually do.

Many crimes also go unreported, so it is likely that many defensive gun uses are never known to the police, & thus unknown to the media. Numbers from the Bureau of Justice Statistics show that less than half of violent crime victims report violent crime to police.

But even dramatic cases that get local news coverage – [b]cases in which mass public shootings were prevented
– dont receive national news coverage. The Crime Prevention Research Center has compiled a number of examples over the last year, but many Americans have probably never heard of them since they attracted only local media coverage.

Of 18 surveys reviewed, this study noted the lowest number of DGU's. The highest total was 3 million DGUs
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2021 at 4:00pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #1709 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 3:47pm

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 141
Send Topic Print