Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 141
Send Topic Print
⮞ ⮞ Americans Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜ (Read 127006 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: ⮞ ⮞ Americans Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜
Reply #555 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 2:06pm

It isn't the law-abiding citizens that are the problem, Panther.  It is the non-law-abiding citizens who are the problem.  The mentally deranged, the unsafe, the incapable, the low-lives who ruin everything for their victims when they shoot them with their legally bought semi-automatic longarms and semi-automatic pistols.

The problem isn't guns, per se.  The problem is with military style semi-automatic firearms, a particular type of firearm.

The NRA has accepted that the second amendment can be "infringed".  Indeed, it has never disputed the ability of the government to regulate the ownership of particular types of firearms.

Time for a government with guts to end campaign finance from the NRA and to take back the government from the NRA and pass new regulations.  Regulations I have already suggested and which you have not bothered to comment about.  Funny that, hey?   Roll Eyes

You get to keep your guns - if you can prove you can use them safely.  Otherwise, you lose that Right.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

⮞ ⮞ Americans Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜
Reply #556 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:49am

Will the Supreme Court Use a New York City Regulation to Strike Down Gun Laws?

The Justices agree to hear another Second Amendment case,
this time with Justice Brett Kavanaugh on board.

Source:    
The New Yorker
     Quote:
New York City is a strange and dangerous place, if the plaintiffs in a gun-control case that the Supreme Court has just agreed to hear are to be believed. The suit, which calls the city’s restrictions on transporting handguns through its streets “bizarre,” “irrational,” and “perverse,” was brought by the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association—the state affiliate of the National Rifle Association—along with two gun owners who live in the Bronx and one from Staten Island. The case is notable for reasons that go beyond its caricature of the city and its mores. To begin with, this will be the first time the Court seriously considers the Second Amendment since it adopted a radical view of gun rights in District of Columbia v. Heller, in 2008, which overturned a near-ban on handguns in Washington, D.C., and in McDonald v. the City of Chicago, in 2010, which did away with similar restrictions in that city. Those decisions were “transformational,” the plaintiffs argue, but “the news has not yet reached New York City.”

It will also be the first opportunity for the Court’s newest member, Justice Brett Kavanaugh, to begin building what promises to be a disastrous pro-gun legacy. Heller, a 5–4 decision written by Justice Antonin Scalia, upended the way that generations of judges had read the Second Amendment, by recognizing a fundamental, individual right to bear arms, unconnected to a “well-regulated militia.” McDonald then confirmed that Heller could be used to overturn state and local gun laws, as well as federal legislation. Still, both decisions leave room for some basic, long-standing restrictions on guns, such as those that prevent violent felons from buying them. Kavanaugh, though, in the wake of Heller, appears ready to toss out as many restrictions as he can. As an appeals-court judge, he wrote, in a 2011 dissent, that the District of Columbia should not be allowed to ban semi-automatic assault rifles, largely because they were “in common use.” He added that asking people to register their guns is unconstitutional.

The New York case has certain elements in common with Heller: it is a challenge to a municipal regulation which has the potential to loosen laws around the country. The very strictness of the regulation may have made it an appealing target. It is possible, but difficult, to get a license to carry a handgun in New York. An alternative is a “premises” license, which allows an owner to have a handgun in his or her home but also, under a city regulation that has been in force since 2001, requires that owner to keep it at home. With a few narrow exceptions, owners can only take their guns out of the house, unloaded and in a locked case, to go to a shooting range in the city which has certification from the N.Y.P.D. There are seven such ranges, with at least one in each of the five boroughs.

The plaintiffs want to be able to take their guns to second homes or to shooting ranges out of town. They take the view that preventing them from travelling through the streets with their guns actually increases the risk to public safety, in part by forcing them to leave their weapons “in their vacant New York residences,” where anything could happen. One brief suggested that the city might be “underestimating its burglars.” (Crime rates in New York have, in fact, gone down dramatically in recent decades; the number of shootings is the lowest it has been in twenty-five years.) The plaintiffs also claim that being asked to travel without their guns is akin to being forbidden to travel at all—as though a person were not constitutionally whole without a gun. To them, the restriction is as profound a violation of rights as “a prohibition on leaving city limits to get an abortion.”

An overriding issue at stake, then, is whether the Court will decide that the right to “bear” arms is tantamount to a broad right to travel with them. (Justice Clarence Thomas has said, with regard to an earlier case, that he emphatically believes it is.) Gun regulations now vary widely among the states; the strictest of them may eventually be forced to conform to the loosest. A far greater risk to public safety than leaving handguns in empty apartments is the nationwide effort to sanctify the right to carry weapons, concealed or openly, in public places. A majority of states now permit “open carry”—some of them even in bars, stadiums, and day-care centers—and some impose onerous requirements on stores, restaurants, and other businesses that seek to ban guns from their premises. Rates of gun deaths vary, too; they are about six times higher in Alaska and Louisiana—states with very lax gun laws—than they are in New York.

Continued in next post

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:09am by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #557 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:49am

Quote:
continued from the previous post

The Justices, in seeking a national standard in the wake of Heller, will, in effect, decide which type of situation is truly “bizarre.” They may do so partly by answering a question that Heller and McDonald left open: What level of “scrutiny” should be applied to gun-control laws in balancing valid government interests, such as public safety, against the individual right recognized by Heller? Kavanaugh, for his part, has written that public safety should not be a determining factor—only “text, history, and tradition” really matter. With that view, he exceeds what had, until recently, been the gun lobby’s wildest hopes.

Meanwhile, the movement to pass stricter gun laws has been gathering strength. A recent Gallup poll found that more than sixty per cent of Americans are in favor of them. There is a growing revulsion at a state of affairs that has made lockdown drills a rite of passage for kindergartners—not least from schoolchildren themselves, who, as the students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida, have shown, can be powerful advocates for saner laws. Candidates who support gun control won significant victories in the midterm elections, some of them—such as Representatives Lucy McBath, of Georgia, and Jason Crow, of Colorado—in red and purple states. According to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, forty members of Congress who had been regarded as N.R.A. stalwarts lost their seats.

That political will is set to collide with the ideological priorities of the Court’s conservatives. The larger conflict will play out in the 2020 campaign, as voters decide whether Donald Trump will get to appoint even more judges who share an expansive view of gun rights. In 2011, Kavanaugh wrote that, after Heller, “D.C. seemed not to heed the Supreme Court’s message.” The echo of that language in the plaintiffs’ portrayal of New York is probably not accidental; gun-rights advocates have been waiting for Kavanaugh, or someone like him. Their brief was submitted on the day his confirmation hearings began.

Godspeed Justice Kavanaugh.........Godspeed!!!
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   
  ...        ...   

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:01am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #558 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 5:07pm

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So, you a member of a "well regulated Militia", Panther?

No, I suppose not, afterall you live in Victoria, Australia where there is no play of the US Constitution or the 2nd Amendment, now is there?  Where Gun Ownership is a privilege, not a right.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #559 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 7:17pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 5:07pm:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So,
you a member of a "well regulated Militia", Panther?

No, I suppose not, afterall you live in Victoria, Australia where there is no play of the US Constitution or the 2nd Amendment, now is there?  Where Gun Ownership is a privilege, not a right.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Member of a militia.....if I used to be or not is my business. If I ever decided to return to the Land of My Birth permanently, I would, if I wished, join up with any group  I so pleased......In America that's a Right too......but in America it's never been necessary for me to be part of any group in order to Keep & Bear Arms.....

As far as gun ownership here in Australia, I know the law, & I know it's not a Right affirmed by the Australian constitution.......but laws can change if enough people want it to change.........I will always advocate for change if I wish.....always have, & always will.......no law against that. Wink

God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #560 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 2:06pm:
It isn't the law-abiding citizens that are the problem, Panther.  It is the non-law-abiding citizens who are the problem.  The mentally deranged, the unsafe, the incapable, the low-lives who ruin everything for their victims when they shoot them with their legally bought semi-automatic longarms and semi-automatic pistols.

The problem isn't guns, per se.  The problem is with military style semi-automatic firearms, a particular type of firearm.

The NRA has accepted that the second amendment can be "infringed".  Indeed, it has never disputed the ability of the government to regulate the ownership of particular types of firearms.

Time for a government with guts to end campaign finance from the NRA and to take back the government from the NRA and pass new regulations.  Regulations I have already suggested and which you have not bothered to comment about.  Funny that, hey?   Roll Eyes

You get to keep your guns - if you can prove you can use them safely.  Otherwise, you lose that Right.   Roll Eyes

The law abiding citizen is the problem, they do not all submit to the will of Rulers!

The last thing Rulers want are people who put their own interests before those of some group.

Standard capacity magazines in light, easy to carry rifles were available for decades before Media gave how-to instructions to to sociopaths. They were freely bought without any paperwork and delivered sometimes in the mail to the purchaser and no one went on a rampage. 

Our Citizens just need to Sit, Down, Stay, good dog! Our Wise leaders will take care of us!

The only difference between a Communist and a Democrat is the spelling.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #561 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:52pm

Panther wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 7:17pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 5:07pm:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,  the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.[/size]

you a member of a "well regulated Militia", Panther?

Member of a militia.....if I used to be or not is my business. If I ever decided to return to the Land of My Birth permanently, I would, if I wished, join up with any group  I so pleased......In America that's a Right too......but in America it's never been necessary for me to be part of any group in order to Keep & Bear Arms.....

But the "well regulated militia" is why citizens are allowed to arm and keep bears, Panther.  It is right there, in the front of the comment about arming and keeping bears.   Unless you're a member, your not allowed to have a firearm.  Tsk, tsk.

Quote:
As far as gun ownership here in Australia, I know the law, & I know it's not a Right affirmed by the Australian constitution.......but laws can change if enough people want it to change.........I will always advocate for change if I wish.....always have, & always will.......no law against that. Wink

And how likely is that going to happen, Panther?  Really?  Look, you like all gun nuts live in a fantasy world inside your own head, mate.  Gun ownership downunder has always been a privilege.  Time to face facts.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #562 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:54pm

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:43pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 2:06pm:

The law abiding citizen is the problem, they do not all submit to the will of Rulers!

You don't live in the 18th century UK, Mort.  You live in 21st century America where your government is elected by the people to represent the wishes of the people, not the NRA.   Time you got that through your thick head, mate.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #563 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:23am

NRA
Applauds Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb
for Signing Comprehensive Gun Rights Bill into Law

Source:      
NRA-ILA
       Quote:
FAIRFAX, Va.–  The
N
ational
R
ifle
A
ssociation’s
I
nstitute for
L
egislative
A
ction (NRA-ILA) applauds Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb for signing into law a comprehensive gun rights bill that will make it easier for law-abiding Hoosiers to defend themselves.
Gov. Holcomb signed the bill into law on the stage of the NRA-ILA's Leadership Forum at the Indiana Convention Center - Lucas Oil Stadium.

Lawmakers amended HB 1284, introduced by Rep. Jim Lucas, to include important self-defense protection from HB 1643, introduced by Rep. Ben Smaltz.

The new law expands self-defense options in the following ways:

◈ eliminates state fees for a new five-year state License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH);
    ◈ allows law-abiding gun owners greater ability to carry for self-protection in churches;
    ◈ allows gun owners to register to vote when they apply for a LTCH.

“Under this new law, honest, hard-working gun owners will no longer be forced to pay $125 to exercise a fundamental right that ought to be free,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA executive director. “This law ends this abuse and ensures that the most vulnerable gun owners are able to protect themselves without worrying about the cost of a license.”

Additionally, the new law provides greater protection to gun owners. Previously, an undue burden was on the defendant in exercising the right to self-defense. Under the new law, that burden is shifted.  In addition, a person who acts in self-defense and is later forced to defend themselves a second time in court can be reimbursed for the legal fees associated with their defense.

“On behalf of our more than 5 million members, I want to thank Gov. Holcomb for standing up for the rights of honest, hard-working gun owners,” added Cox. “I also want to thank Reps. Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz for their tireless efforts promoting legislation that improves the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their families.”

American families......American Citizens are continuing to stand up for their Constitutional Rights to Keep & Bear Arms by further restricting their servants....the government....from infringing upon their Second Amendment Rights!

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #564 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:28am

American families......American Citizens are standing up for their Constitutional Rights to Keep & Bear Arms by further restricting their servants....the government....from infringing upon their Second Amendment Rights!

I like it

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #565 - May 2nd, 2019 at 12:35pm

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #566 - May 2nd, 2019 at 2:04pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 12:35pm:

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

⮞ ⮞ Americans Oppose Gun Bans ⮜ ⮜
Reply #567 - May 2nd, 2019 at 2:19pm

Louisiana: House Committee Passes
Two Pro-Gun Bills

Source:      
NRA-ILA
       Quote:
Today, the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee passed pro-gun measures, House Bill 281 and House Bill 235.  These important bills now head to the House floor for further consideration. Please contact your state Representative and strongly urge them to SUPPORT House Bill 281 and House Bill 235 when they come up for a vote.

House Bill 281, sponsored by Rep. Blake Miguez, removes vague language in Louisiana’s existing preemption statute to prevent a patchwork of laws throughout the state that could potentially and unknowingly ensnare law-abiding gun owners, turning them into a criminal unintentionally.

House Bill 235, sponsored by Rep. Beryl Amedee, adds a place of worship to justifiable use of force or violence in self-defense. This would apply Louisiana’s current self-defense protections to law abiding citizens that exercise their right to self-defense in a place of worship.

NRA members are grateful to Representatives Bacala, Dwight, Crews, Howard, Pylant, Hodges, Moss and Muscarello who voted in favor of law-abiding gun owners today.  Special thanks to Rep. Moss for going out of his way to leave another committee, while presenting a bill, in order to show his commitment to protecting your second amendment rights. We also thank Chairman Mack for his leadership in the committee.

God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA
God Bless
America
God Bless the
NRA

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2019 at 2:40pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #568 - May 2nd, 2019 at 2:21pm

Non-profit.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #569 - May 2nd, 2019 at 2:22pm

[quote author=DreamRyderX link=1540856123/567#567 date=1556770788]

[center]...

And yet those who lavishly rimjob it refuse to bugger off back to it

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 141
Send Topic Print