The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Stating the Obvious
Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:27pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
Jasin wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am:
So 'on camera'. Everyone just states the obvious.
It's safer that way and I would too.

The more intelligent people in the community hardly ever state the obvious, if at all. They know better because making statements about issues that the populace is already aware of injects nothing new into the conversation

That depends on the context.
Most sports people and politicians are on the defensive when they are interrogated by the media. They play a "straight bat" because they know that the media will latch onto anything that deviates from the scripted clichés.

Rather than being a sign of unintelligence, it is tactic in dealing with the media.
Most politicians, sports people and other people in the media spot light are trained this way in dealing with the media.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:15pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:27pm:

The more intelligent people in the community hardly ever state the obvious, if at all. They know better because making statements about issues that the populace is already aware of injects nothing new into the conversation

Most sports people and politicians are on the defensive when they are interrogated by the media. They play a "straight bat" because they know that the media will latch onto anything that deviates from the scripted clichés.

Rather than being a sign of unintelligence, it is tactic in dealing with the media.
Most politicians, sports people and other people in the media spot light are trained this way in dealing with the media.

You mean like totally timid Ricky Stuart last night before the camera?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:36pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:15pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:27pm:

You mean like totally timid Ricky Stuart last night before the camera?

Barnacle is right.
But not 'everyone' is like that. Stuart has 'used' the Media to lash out at others. Like Mundine & Fenech do.

I don't think 'all of Australia' trusts the Media.
I certainly don't.
Media hiring 'thugs n sluts' lately to boost their ranks here in Australia. A sleazy tactic for fast money shows.
Media just pumping Anti-Trump/Internet panels and Interview Shows.

I don't 'hate' the Media.
But I do know that they too are at fault, because the World turns again and they feel left behind.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:11pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:36pm:
Barnacle is right.

Barnacle might be right about what he said but it's only dancing to the tune of the media - are we all fraidie cats?

Here's another fraidie cat too scared to make a comment on the adverse psychology of violent teenagers, a comment that could have had the effect of helping the community to determine practical ways for parents to advise teenagers to watch their step. The opportunity was lost, instead this fraidie cat decided to make a robotic statement that no one learns from - we already flippin well know it

Chief Inspector Brian Pedersen - "For this to happen to any member of the Public is totally outrageous"

(Re: Paramedic on charity bike rider bashed by teenagers)

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:25pm by Bias_2012 »  

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:27pm

The same fraidie cat again .....

Chief Inspector Brian Pedersen said: "It was a disgraceful attack"

You don't say Inspector, what else would it be?

(Re: Charity bike rider bashed by teenagers)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:45pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
Barnacle is right.

Barnacle might be right about what he said but it's only dancing to the tune of the media - are we all fraidie cats?

Here's another fraidie cat too scared to make a comment on the adverse psychology of violent teenagers, a comment that could have had the effect of helping the community to determine practical ways for parents to advise teenagers to watch their step. The opportunity was lost, instead this fraidie cat decided to make a robotic statement that no one learns from - we already flippin well know it

Chief Inspector Brian Pedersen - "For this to happen to any member of the Public is totally outrageous"

(Re: Paramedic on charity bike ride bashed by teenagers)

I understand what you're saying.
But maybe that young girl speaking out about Climate Doom with all the pent up anger of 'truth' and youth in general - and all the 'backlash' she has received by those people who laugh at her 'stupidity'... is why many people 'Fake it' on the (Fake) Media.

Look at Trump. He calls a Spade a Spade and tells it as it is, tweets to the Public directly/honestly and yet no-one else in the world receives more hatred and condemnation than him for doing it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:20pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
Barnacle is right.

Here's another fraidie cat too scared to make a comment on the adverse psychology of violent teenagers,  The opportunity was lost, instead this fraidie cat decided to make a robotic statement that no one learns from - we already flippin well know it

(Re: Paramedic on charity bike ride bashed by teenagers)

Also lets not over estimate the intelligence and attention span of the general public
For most people a quick sound bite of a politician/police chief saying "this is outrageous" is all they want to hear.

whereas a comment that could have had the effect of helping the community to determine practical ways for parents to advise teenagers to watch their step........that's the subject of an hour long documentary. Most people's eyes would just glaze over.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:42pm

Would it be better if everyone was not afraid and just sledged on TV?
Take the 'Aust' Cricketers for example: Nice to your face (& Camera),  but the most verbally/mentally abusive on field and against opponents.

Gone were the days that Australian Cricketers were part of an International scene that were all 'mates', regardless of who wins and who loses.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 10:51am

Penny Wong (Labor leader in the Federal Senate)

"Turkey"s action against the Kurds risks de-stabilizing the region"

(Re: Turkey"s military action in northern Syria)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 7:22pm

Scott Morrison
(Prime Minister)

"This is disgusting, it is appalling, and it is nothing other than just hateful desecration"

(Re: vandalizing of Diggers' grave sites with swastikas in Israel)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 1:31pm

Peter Beattie    (Head of Rugby League Australia)

"They are not robots, they are human beings"

(Re: wrong "6 again" signal in 2019 Grand Final)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 1:35pm

Victoria Police:

"... detectives from its Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit had charged four men on summons as part of an investigation into alleged illegal activity within the racing industry."

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 8:24pm

Mark McGowan
(WA Premier)

"shocking, appalling, horrible, tragic

(Re: Two girls found dead in home in Madeley, Perth)

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #29 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 3:34pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:20am:
Stating the obvious could be viewed as being "negative" dialogue. Opportunities to say something constructive and more informative are lost, and stating the obvious often means policies are not thoroughly thought out and the pressure of an interview brings out clichés and statements that seem more than obvious to the audience, they're not only a waste of oxygen, they can also be vote losers

It's an easy way out when the interviewee is suffering brain fade and can't sustain intelligent dialogue.

Partisanship of course knows no "negatives", only "positives" from their particular group's dynamics, but for neutral spectators observing from the sidelines, watching people state the obvious is hilarious and only lowers the status of interviewee

I'll start the list ... I'll add to it as I hear them, or add some from the recent past as I find them

Andrew Constance (NSW Lib) - "Ferries are ferries, they are for ferrying people across the harbour"

Bill Shorten (Fed Labor) - "Cancer makes you sick"

Stating the obvious is up there with common sense, They only exist in the  mind of the beholder

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print