Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Stating the Obvious (Read 35765 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stating the Obvious
Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:20am

Stating the obvious could be viewed as being "negative" dialogue. Opportunities to say something constructive and more informative are lost, and stating the obvious often means policies are not thoroughly thought out and the pressure of an interview brings out clichés and statements that seem more than obvious to the audience, they're not only a waste of oxygen, they can also be vote losers

It's an easy way out when the interviewee is suffering brain fade and can't sustain intelligent dialogue.

Partisanship of course knows no "negatives", only "positives" from their particular group's dynamics, but for neutral spectators observing from the sidelines, watching people state the obvious is hilarious and only lowers the status of interviewee

I'll start the list ... I'll add to it as I hear them, or add some from the recent past as I find them

Andrew Constance (NSW Lib) - "Ferries are ferries, they are for ferrying people across the harbour"

Bill Shorten (Fed Labor) - "Cancer makes you sick"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Re: Stating the Obvious
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:56pm

Sounds like 'pearls of wisdom' boofhead would come out with........ Grin

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 1:25pm

Chris Bowen (Fed Labor) - "Many people suffering cancer have had to reduce their hours of work, or give up work entirely"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 6:24pm

Damian Beaufils (Border Force, not a politician) - "Drugs are basically a poison and people are buying the stuff and using it"

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 6:26pm

Muslims are wankers.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 6:28pm

Donald Trump lies.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 7:39pm

5 days ago - Peanut Man was here.
But now he's gone.
(public toilet door back in the 70's of Mt Druitt)

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 8:04pm

Charlie Bezzina (former Vic detective) - "It's gotta stop" - (re: black African gangs stealing mobile phones)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 6:32pm

Adam Whyte (Commander New South Wales Police) "It's unacceptable behavior" (re: black Africans attempting to steal mobile phones at a Casula store)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 2:43pm

Barbara Crowe (Education Department director)

"This was not acceptable and would have been an unpleasant experience for [the boy]"

(re: Jewish boy, taunted by group of muslim boys, told to kiss muslim boy's shoes, or else)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 11:01am

Ok Bias. i think we can see ideologically where you are heading with this.

It has always struck me as slightly ridiculous when Police chief commissioners or police ministers lecture the public on taking more care while driving.

Quote:
A devastating four days with nine deaths on Victoria's roads is unacceptable, the state's police minister says.
Police Minister Kim Wells has joined Victoria Police to call on drivers to slow down and obey the road rules.

"Police are doing all we can to drive down the toll but we need the community's help," he said on Tuesday.
"Too many drivers are taking their lives in their hands by ignoring the risks and doing the wrong thing on the roads."
https://www.9news.com.au/national/vic-road-toll-unacceptable-kim-wells/79f0e1f1-...

Do theses lectures actually achieve anything?
I don't think I've ever heard a teenager say "The police minister said we better drive more carefully, so slow down a bit"
Or is it just the old case in politics of being seen to be doing something

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:12pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 6th, 2019 at 11:01am:
Ok Bias. i think we can see ideologically where you are heading with this.

It's not about ideology, it's about improving our thought processes. When we state the obvious, our thought process has come to a halt and is taken over by the first cliche that comes to mind, to alleviate hesitation in the dialogue or conversation. Hesitation is a sign of lacking knowledge, and instead of hesitating, the participant usually spurts out a cliche, and it's nearly always something we are only too aware of

Here's one that women say a lot without thinking about what they're saying - "Australia is a  wealthy nation". This is not necessarily stating the obvious but I've heard many women on TV extol it and I doubt if they even know what they are talking about.

To makes things worse, stating the obvious and cliches are thrown in our faces without reasons for, or solutions backing them up. They're off the cuff, and we're expected to consider such comments to be intelligent dialogue

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am

It's a common dialogue now in front of camera's because of the fear of retaliation in the form of Law Suits, disciplinary action, etc.

Just take a look at Sportsmen and what they say in interviews: its all the same. But when they think 'the Public via the Media' are not listening. They cut loose with all sorts of sledging.

Even Princess Diana was a potty mouth, when she thought no 'media' were listening in.

So 'on camera'. Everyone just states the obvious.
It's safer that way and I would too.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:37am

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:11pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am:

The more intelligent people in the community hardly ever state the obvious, if at all. They know better because making statements about issues that the populace is already aware of injects nothing new into the conversation

When a high ranking police officer or an Education official states the obvious just to be "safe" before the camera, you know they're only thinking of themselves and not being fair dinkum about critical issues facing the community

Here's a good one from the past - I once wrote to the NSW Transport Minister about Greenslips premiums being exorbitant, at the time when "gold plating" was being applied to compulsory third party insurance, getting ready for privatization of Greenslips. The Minister wrote back and in his own stupid words said: "People are killed on the roads" - How obvious was that?, what a drongo

The most ridiculous one I've heard though, was Bill Shorten's "Cancer makes you sick" - That one made him very unsafe before the camera, and he didn't say it just once, he said it numerous times, supposedly trying to convince us that cancer really does make you sick

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:12pm

Frank wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:37am:

They're bloopers Frank

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:27pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:11pm:

The more intelligent people in the community hardly ever state the obvious, if at all. They know better because making statements about issues that the populace is already aware of injects nothing new into the conversation

That depends on the context.
Most sports people and politicians are on the defensive when they are interrogated by the media. They play a "straight bat" because they know that the media will latch onto anything that deviates from the scripted clichés.

Rather than being a sign of unintelligence, it is tactic in dealing with the media.
Most politicians, sports people and other people in the media spot light are trained this way in dealing with the media.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:15pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:27pm:

Most sports people and politicians are on the defensive when they are interrogated by the media. They play a "straight bat" because they know that the media will latch onto anything that deviates from the scripted clichés.

Rather than being a sign of unintelligence, it is tactic in dealing with the media.
Most politicians, sports people and other people in the media spot light are trained this way in dealing with the media.

You mean like totally timid Ricky Stuart last night before the camera?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:36pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:15pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:27pm:

You mean like totally timid Ricky Stuart last night before the camera?

Barnacle is right.
But not 'everyone' is like that. Stuart has 'used' the Media to lash out at others. Like Mundine & Fenech do.

I don't think 'all of Australia' trusts the Media.
I certainly don't.
Media hiring 'thugs n sluts' lately to boost their ranks here in Australia. A sleazy tactic for fast money shows.
Media just pumping Anti-Trump/Internet panels and Interview Shows.

I don't 'hate' the Media.
But I do know that they too are at fault, because the World turns again and they feel left behind.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:11pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:36pm:
Barnacle is right.

Barnacle might be right about what he said but it's only dancing to the tune of the media - are we all fraidie cats?

Here's another fraidie cat too scared to make a comment on the adverse psychology of violent teenagers, a comment that could have had the effect of helping the community to determine practical ways for parents to advise teenagers to watch their step. The opportunity was lost, instead this fraidie cat decided to make a robotic statement that no one learns from - we already flippin well know it

Chief Inspector Brian Pedersen - "For this to happen to any member of the Public is totally outrageous"

(Re: Paramedic on charity bike rider bashed by teenagers)

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:25pm by Bias_2012 »  

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:27pm

The same fraidie cat again .....

Chief Inspector Brian Pedersen said: "It was a disgraceful attack"

You don't say Inspector, what else would it be?

(Re: Charity bike rider bashed by teenagers)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:45pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
Barnacle is right.

Barnacle might be right about what he said but it's only dancing to the tune of the media - are we all fraidie cats?

Here's another fraidie cat too scared to make a comment on the adverse psychology of violent teenagers, a comment that could have had the effect of helping the community to determine practical ways for parents to advise teenagers to watch their step. The opportunity was lost, instead this fraidie cat decided to make a robotic statement that no one learns from - we already flippin well know it

Chief Inspector Brian Pedersen - "For this to happen to any member of the Public is totally outrageous"

(Re: Paramedic on charity bike ride bashed by teenagers)

I understand what you're saying.
But maybe that young girl speaking out about Climate Doom with all the pent up anger of 'truth' and youth in general - and all the 'backlash' she has received by those people who laugh at her 'stupidity'... is why many people 'Fake it' on the (Fake) Media.

Look at Trump. He calls a Spade a Spade and tells it as it is, tweets to the Public directly/honestly and yet no-one else in the world receives more hatred and condemnation than him for doing it.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:20pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
Barnacle is right.

Here's another fraidie cat too scared to make a comment on the adverse psychology of violent teenagers,  The opportunity was lost, instead this fraidie cat decided to make a robotic statement that no one learns from - we already flippin well know it

(Re: Paramedic on charity bike ride bashed by teenagers)

Also lets not over estimate the intelligence and attention span of the general public
For most people a quick sound bite of a politician/police chief saying "this is outrageous" is all they want to hear.

whereas a comment that could have had the effect of helping the community to determine practical ways for parents to advise teenagers to watch their step........that's the subject of an hour long documentary. Most people's eyes would just glaze over.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:42pm

Would it be better if everyone was not afraid and just sledged on TV?
Take the 'Aust' Cricketers for example: Nice to your face (& Camera),  but the most verbally/mentally abusive on field and against opponents.

Gone were the days that Australian Cricketers were part of an International scene that were all 'mates', regardless of who wins and who loses.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 10:51am

Penny Wong (Labor leader in the Federal Senate)

"Turkey"s action against the Kurds risks de-stabilizing the region"

(Re: Turkey"s military action in northern Syria)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 7:22pm

Scott Morrison
(Prime Minister)

"This is disgusting, it is appalling, and it is nothing other than just hateful desecration"

(Re: vandalizing of Diggers' grave sites with swastikas in Israel)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 1:31pm

Peter Beattie    (Head of Rugby League Australia)

"They are not robots, they are human beings"

(Re: wrong "6 again" signal in 2019 Grand Final)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 1:35pm

Victoria Police:

"... detectives from its Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit had charged four men on summons as part of an investigation into alleged illegal activity within the racing industry."

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 8:24pm

Mark McGowan
(WA Premier)

"shocking, appalling, horrible, tragic

(Re: Two girls found dead in home in Madeley, Perth)

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #29 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 3:34pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:20am:
Stating the obvious could be viewed as being "negative" dialogue. Opportunities to say something constructive and more informative are lost, and stating the obvious often means policies are not thoroughly thought out and the pressure of an interview brings out clichés and statements that seem more than obvious to the audience, they're not only a waste of oxygen, they can also be vote losers

It's an easy way out when the interviewee is suffering brain fade and can't sustain intelligent dialogue.

Partisanship of course knows no "negatives", only "positives" from their particular group's dynamics, but for neutral spectators observing from the sidelines, watching people state the obvious is hilarious and only lowers the status of interviewee

I'll start the list ... I'll add to it as I hear them, or add some from the recent past as I find them

Andrew Constance (NSW Lib) - "Ferries are ferries, they are for ferrying people across the harbour"

Stating the obvious is up there with common sense, They only exist in the  mind of the beholder

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 1:18pm

BigP wrote on Oct 30th, 2019 at 3:34pm:
Stating the obvious is up there with common sense, They only exist in the  mind of the beholder

The "beholder" needs to know that stating the obvious is just mindless rhetoric meant to appease the brainwashed followers of those who are spruiking those unintelligent statements

They are knee jerk reactions from frightened little minds

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:07pm

Anthony Albanese
(Leader of Federal Opposition)

"Three years is a terrible time to be held captive"

Re: Australian academic Timothy Weeks held hostage by the Taliban

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:07pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:07pm:
Anthony Albanese

Grin Grin Grin

That's so appalling, I wonder if it is the Media and its lack-lustre approach and questions that seem to draw these answers out like someone trying to draw poison from a wound like some out-dated fashion? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:39pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:07pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:07pm:
Anthony Albanese

Grin Grin Grin

That's so appalling, I wonder if it is the Media and its lack-lustre approach and questions that seem to draw these answers out like someone trying to draw poison from a wound like some out-dated fashion? Roll Eyes

Yeah and Albanese fell for it

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 11:52pm

Jim Chalmers
  (
Fed Shadow Treasurer
)

"
The behavior at Westpac was nothing short of disgraceful
"

Josh Frydenberg
  (
Fed Treasurer
)

"
The alleged breaches are of the most serious nature
"

(Re: Westpac accused of 23 million breaches by money laundering)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 8:24pm

Scott Morrison
(
Prime Minister
)

"
despicable act
"

(Re: Muslim knife attack, killing two people, wounding three, in London)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 8:30pm

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 5:46pm

Gladys Berejiklian
  (
NSW Premier
)

"
Walking below the flood bed of Sydney Harbor is something that hasn't happened before
"

(Re: New tunnel under Sydney Harbor)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 10:32am

Anthony Albanese
  (
Leader of Federal Opposition
)

"
People don't want these fires happening
"

(Re: destructive bush fires)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 7:44pm

Anthony Albanese

"We know that people out there are genuinely scared, and there's a reason for that, because this is scary"

(Re: Bushfires and evacuations in southern NSW)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #40 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 10:06am

Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

“People are really hurting,”

(Re: destructive bush fires)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 10:10am

Member of public

(Cobargo resident)

“Go on, get in the car and p*ss off back to Kirribilli mate … you wanker,”

(Re: visit by Scott Morrison)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 10:14am

Andrew Constance

(Liberal NSW Transport Minister)

“So to be honest the locals probably gave him the welcome he probably deserved"

(Re: Scott Morrison visit to Cobargo)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 12:30pm

Barnacle, post no 40 is stating the obvious, yep good one, I missed that in the news

However, posts no 41 and 42 are not strictly in the spirit of the topic. No 41 is just giving cheek, and no 42, while close to stating the obvious, is only an opinion

Thanks for your input

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 8:25pm

Gary Worboys

(Deputy Commissioner State Emergency Operations)

"It's disgusting behavior"

(Re: Looting of bushfire victims property)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 12:38am

Daniel Andrews

(Premier of Victoria)

"We can't bring people back if they lose their lives"

(Re: Support for bushfire victims)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 6:06pm

Hollywood can via their God of Science.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 9:04pm

Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

"We can't hide from the fact that we've had an enormous shock to our farming community"

(Re: The widespread devastation to farms by bush fires)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 9:10pm

Matt Brophey

(Acting Police Inspector)

"This is a deplorable act, low and despicable"

(Re: Theft of bush fire donations from hotel)

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #49 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 7:21am

It's morning the sun has come up and it is raining.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 10:32am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 18th, 2020 at 7:21am:
It's morning the sun has come up and it is raining.

Who said that, just you, or some politician maybe?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #51 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:57pm

I am now going to state the obvious

This would have to be the most boring and useless thread on this forum

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #52 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:53pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:57pm:

you win.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 3:26pm

If you are still having trouble understanding what this thread is about, go back and read the opening post and post #11

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #54 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:05am

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 3:26pm:

If you are still having trouble understanding what this thread is about, go back and read the opening post and post #11

Having read the original post I’m left wondering what the hell it has to do with philosophy anyway. Maybe a new sub-branch of an often abused discipline has festered into existence  without me noticing?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 12:07pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:05am:
Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 3:26pm:

Having read the original post I’m left wondering what the hell it has to do with philosophy anyway. Maybe a new sub-branch of an often abused discipline has festered into existence  without me noticing? 

Stating the obvious stagnates our thought processes

The thread is not political or ideological

The only other Board it could have been posted in is "Health and Welfare" - describing the topic as a mental health issue

But I see it as a deeper problem relating to the way we think. It's a mindless and repetitive habit and it's often used by prominent people whom we believe to be more intelligent and influential because of the higher positions they hold

It's bad enough that we have a confrontational left/right divide in our brains and therefore transferring into society.

What we don't need is persistent cognitive anomalies like stating the obvious making it worse, corrupting our already corrupted minds

Stating the obvious is best done tinged with humour as the man in the street would, but when expressed in a serious sense, we must question the mental capacity of people expressing it that way

Many of these people run the country, so what are their philosophies all about? and where is their mindless rhetoric leading us to?

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #56 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:19pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 12:07pm:
Stating the obvious is best done tinged with humour as the man in the street would, but when expressed in a serious sense, we must question the mental capacity of people expressing it that way

Many of these people run the country, so what are their philosophies all about? and where is their mindless rhetoric leading us to?

Can I suggest those ‘running the country’ seldom possess anything as systematic as a philosophy. They may be addicted to all manner of theological fairy tales, subscribe to watered down versions of Randian ‘Objectivism’ or baste their statements with diluted Marxism but to suggest any have a developed philosophy is just too flattering for the vast majority of the fools running this planet at this point in time.
As to where their mindless rhetoric is leading us I’d suggest blindfolded at high speed down a dead end alley.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:51pm

Marcia Hines: "This show is deep."

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #58 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 11:39am

Jasin wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:51pm:
Marcia Hines: "This show is deep."

Ms Hines would be very puzzled if she stumbled across her name being used in relation to this thread.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:11pm

Murry Reynolds

(NSW Police Deputy Superintendent)

"It was an horrendous incident for the motorists using the road"

(Re: Woman trying to over-take semi - car crushed beyond recognition between two semis on Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra)

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:25pm

"we are the most successful multicultural society in the world" that's pretty obvious.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:37pm

Johnnie wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:25pm:
"we are the most successful multicultural society in the world" that's pretty obvious.

Some say it is

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #62 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 10:17am

New York doesn’t do all that badly.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #63 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:30pm

That's because everyone is 'Comfortably Numb'.
We have the highest ratio per population in the world of alcohol and illicit drug use.
Recent shipment of double strength MDMA from China arrived last week.
Away from Politics and Military, Australia's Health Industry is under attack and losing.
Winter is Coming because everyone is turning to Ice

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:59pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:37pm:

Some say it is

With black gangs running rampant in Melbourne and our max security jails full of terrorists, tens of thousands of bollards, cops now with machine guns and hundreds of thousands or millions of non assimilable imports I would hate to see the worst multicultural society, we are the biggest newest multicultural experiment in the world. The future generations will bear the brunt.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 1:03pm

David Elliott

(NSW Police Minister)

"
It's just vile
"

Anthony Cooke
(NSW Police Acting Asst Commissioner)

"
It's about stupidity
"

(Re: One punch attack leaving victim with fractured skull, in critical condition)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #66 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 2:26pm

Johnnie wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:59pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:37pm:

Some say it is

With black gangs running rampant in Melbourne and our max security jails full of terrorists, tens of thousands of bollards, cops now with machine guns and hundreds of thousands or millions of non assimilable imports I would hate to see the worst multicultural society, we are the biggest newest multicultural experiment in the world. The future generations will bear the brunt.

Do you see Multi-Cultural/Multi-Racial integration getting on in the USA?
No - the place is a crap hole mess and so will Australia.

Sydney & Melbourne have already 'sold out' (since 2000) to the International Scene and they have become nothing more than a Business District with Slums.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #67 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 9:36pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 30th, 2020 at 8:37pm:
I think I have xenophobia.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 5:18pm

This is not such a bad one. The Dr is calling for a zero alcohol limit. I think we can all concur with that

Dr John Crozier   
(Chair National Trauma Committee)

"There are things we can still do better"

(Re: Four children killed by drunk driver at Oatlands, near Parramatta)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 12:23am

Glen Weir

(Vic Police Assistant Commissioner)

“This is a terrible event, this is something that’s just shocking”

(Re: Knife attack in Melbourne killing two people)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #70 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 7:39am

Donald Trump (US president)

"People are dying who have never died before"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 2:20pm

Daniel Andrews

(Premier of Victoria)

"If this gets away from us, people will die"

(Re: Corona virus)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 12:34pm

Anthony Boyd

(NSW Police Acting Supt)

"To attack defenseless elderly people in their own home is a cowardly gutless attack"

(Re: Home invasion - Bilpin elderly apple grower bludgeoned and dies while trying to protect his elderly wife)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 2:18pm

Despa Fitzgerald
( Det Act Supt NSW Police
)

"It certainly was a cowardly, vicious attack"

(Re: Food delivery driver kicked and threatened at knife-point in Sydney suburb of Wentworthville)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 12:54pm

Mark McGowan

(WA Premier)

"Police officers are people"

(Re: WA Coronavirus)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 1:48am

Simon Glasser

(NSW Police Det Insp)

"It's quite concerning"

(Re: Two males with hunting knife and axe rob Westmead store)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 7:33pm

Daniel Andrews

(Premier of Victoria)

"It's nothing short of shameful"

(Re: Police officer thrown through air and hits parked car face first, caused by offender resisting arrest by reversing his car and smashing it into parked cars before driving off)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 2:54am

Jason Pietruszka

(Det Insp NSW Police)

"It's quite disgraceful"

(Re: Uber Eats driver, 19, robbed at knifepoint by a bearded Middle Eastern man in a terrifying carjacking outside a Sydney home. Phone, wallet and car stolen)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 1:12pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 2:54am:
Jason Pietruszka

(Det Insp NSW Police)

"It's quite disgraceful"

(Re: Uber Eats driver, 19, robbed at knifepoint by a bearded Middle Eastern man in a terrifying carjacking outside a Sydney home. Phone, wallet and car stolen)

There's a new wave of Criminals entering Australia and the tired old British Criminals are finding it tough to compete.
Also, the Religion of Islam is much like Aboriginal Culture: the both worship the Holy and Sacred 'Land' as the foundation of their way of lives. Both point to Africa.
This is why Moslems will succeed here, like Jews in the USA. They're not here to outbreed. They're here to 'Empower' their Religion at the top of the pyramid.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 5:04pm

Adrian Alston

(NSW Det Act Insp)

"Yeah I find it unacceptable for that sort of thing to happen"

(Re: A large group of people of Islander appearance of varying ages, both male and female descend on a car stopped at red lights and break front and rear windows, jump on car denting it, also punching driver of Asian appearance till blood was showing. Road-rage argument started in a McDonald's driveway at Liverpool in western Sydney with the car escaping only to be stopped by a red light, then Islanders ran after it. Car was in the middle lane when attacked. The whole "unacceptable" event was video'd)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 8:05pm

Natalie Antaw

(Acting Commander of the Orana Mid-Western Police District)

"(It is) a tragic incident involving young children which always makes it that much more difficult."

(Re: Two young boys killed in an alleged hit-and-run by an unlicensed driver in Dubbo NSW. Drugs were found)

(A witness stated that the car was speeding up and down the street and "chucking wheelies")

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #81 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 8:37pm

It was pretty obvious to Biden that his wife is 'Joe' and Kamala is the President Elect.  Grin Grin Grin

...being there.  Wink

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #82 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:05am

Obvious? What is obvious is this thread has no place in a forum section titled Philosophy. What is it about a large percentage of posters on this forum that makes them incapable of understanding the meaning of such terms? Lack of eduction, blatant stupidity or both?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #83 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:54am

What i think is obvious is that this is the most boring and pointless thread on this forum

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:07pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:05am:
Obvious? What is obvious is this thread has no place in a forum section titled Philosophy. What is it about a large percentage of posters on this forum that makes them incapable of understanding the meaning of such terms? Lack of eduction, blatant stupidity or both?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:28pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:54am:
What i think is obvious is that this is the most boring and pointless thread on this forum

Yet you've posted 10 messages in this thread from early 2019 - can't be that boring and pointless. But you're welcome to post elsewhere if you wish

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #86 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 12:00pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:28pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:54am:

Yet you've posted 10 messages in this thread from early 2019 - can't be that boring and pointless. But you're welcome to post elsewhere if you wish

10 posts in 2 years
I would hardly call that a ringing endorsement.

What is obvious is that for the last 2 years you have cherry picked people and issues that you've had an axe to grind against.
This thread isn't about stating the obvious. This is just another thinly veiled attempt by you to push your biggoted agenda on the philosophy forum.
I really don't know why you bother when there are so many other forums you could post this crap on

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 5:01pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 12:00pm:
10 posts in 2 years
I would hardly call that a ringing endorsement.

You have been the third most prolific poster in this thread with your eleven posts, you just posted the eleventh, a grossly insulting post I might add

The second most prolific poster is Jasin with only one more post than you, so far

What is obvious is that for the last 2 years you have cherry picked people and issues that you've had an axe to grind against.

Cherry picked?, I've cherry picked nothing, I've posted statements from people in various professions and wonder why they say them. Perhaps you just don't like me doing that, and that would be your problem, not mine

This thread isn't about stating the obvious. This is just another thinly veiled attempt by you to push your biggoted agenda on the philosophy forum.

You like making things up from the voices in your head do you? The mere fact that you keep trolling like that means you may have an agenda, self appointed moderator

I've noticed that in your posts in this thread, you've picked on only people from the conservative side of politics stating the obvious, conservatives only - part of your agenda too?

I have posted statements from all sides, where you get "bigoted agenda" from, I don't know

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 10:09am

Daniel Andrews

(Premier of Victoria)

"Everyone wants this to be over"

(Re: Talking about Coronavirus on ABC News 24)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #89 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 10:25am

Frank wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:37am:

An amusing 'counterfactual' found at Frank's link.....

Quote:

I was here at Maine Road when City lost 4-0 to Wimbledon, but they could have been 2-0 up after five minutes, and if they had been, the final score might just have been different.

Jim Beglin
Irish football player

And another amusing 'counterfactual' from somewhere else....

Quote:

Proverb

if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle

(colloquial, vulgar, humorous) It is fruitless to speculate about counterfactual situations.

"We would have won the match if we'd had a decent goalkeeper."

"And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle!"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/if_my_aunt_had_balls,_she%27d_be_my_uncle

LOL

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 1:48pm

There's been quite a lull lately, not since the 6th of Jan has there been anyone stating the obvious before the cameras. They could be wisening up, but Daniel Andrews spoiled it by making one to-day - the pressure of the daily Covid talk perhaps?

It's unfortunate that it happens, we don't need to be told what we already know. If I was to say: "Covid exists in Australia and we need to get rid of it" ... other posters would say: "No kidding, where did you hear that?, tell us another one we don't know"

You see, I stated the obvious, doesn't go down too well, the brain needs to be engaged to avoid ridicule

Gladys avoided ridicule the other week before making a certain statement, she used the prefix: "To use a generic term," ... then rattled off the statement. Good for you Gladys

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 11:38am

Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

"It's awful"

(Re: Alleged rape in Parliament House - ABC News 24)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #92 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 8:38pm

Get drunk.
Fall over.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #93 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:32am

Bias_2012 wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 1:48pm:
There's been quite a lull lately, not since the 6th of Jan has there been anyone stating the obvious before the cameras.

BS
People are always stating the obvious in front of cameras. I really don't understand why you have such an issue about it and why your obsession with this has lasted almost 2 years.

Are you really expecting that Scott Morrison wouldn't say that the rape was awful?
He has spent $190,000 pf taxpayers money on an empathy coach, of course he was going to say that it is awful

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 2:49pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:32am:
Are you really expecting that Scott Morrison wouldn't say that the rape was awful?

I expect male leaders to man-up and not be children, but be grown adults

All of us know it's awful. It also seems to be predatory, more than once apparently this has happened

Taking the soft approach and just saying it's "awful" demeans the seriousness of the allegation

What is "awful", almost criminal, is the state of mind they project as a means to protect their "clique". The Public can be fooled when the same type of condescending language is used time after time

Rape is a very serious crime, it's not just "awful", it's criminal, and the rhetoric in the aftermath of the allegations should reflect that

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:56pm

Police officer
at crime scene at Bonnyrigg in Sydney's south west

"It's a violent attack, it's not something we want to see in our community"

(Re: Brazen attack by two men with machete and hammer targeting 17 year old in home, father fought off attackers but not before attackers cut up teen in bathroom, left lying in pool of blood)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 9:19am

Justice Helen Wilson

(Sentencing Judge)

"A crime of extraordinary viciousness and brutality"

(Re: Young woman who stabbed her loving and caring mother more than 100 times using seven knives, then cut her mother's head off, then carried her mother's head outside and dumped it on the footpath)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Jul 8th, 2021 at 1:32pm

Gladys Berejiklian

(NSW Premier)

"Those numbers are too high. We need to get those numbers down,"

(Re: Corona virus cases in NSW 7th July 2021)

PS Perhaps stricter rules and testing for international flight crews and passengers would go a long way to keep the numbers down, and to make sure a 4th Covid wave is avoided

When politicians understand that just one infected crew or passenger can spread the virus, and spread it quickly, then they might figure out that the State won't be safe from Covid until they establish the most likely way Covid will begin to spread

The buck stops with the dumb politicians 

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 12:59pm

Tony Fleming 
(Detective Superintendent)

“It’s unacceptable that people break into people’s houses and set upon them with weapons."

(Re: Rugby legend Kefu stabbed in stomach; condition critical after foiling home invasion 16/8/21)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #99 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 2:11am

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:20am:

I think that was an attempted zinger.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 12:38am

Gladys Berejiklian

(NSW Premier)

"Deaths are horrible"

(Re: While answering questions about Delta Virus at daily press conference)

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #101 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 11:10am

I had no idea philosophy covered such a vast range of subjects.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 3:54am

Jacinda Ardern

(NZ Prime Minister)

"It was wrong"

(Re: Describing radicalized Islamic terrorist's stabbing of seven shoppers)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 11:35am

Gladys Berejiklian

(NSW Premier)

"I don't think there is a single person in NSW who doesn't want more freedom than they have now in lockdown"

(Re: While answering questions at media conference)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 11:44am

On March 16, Lawrence Oates stepped outside the tent with the immortal words:

“I am just going outside and may be some time.”

He walked out into a blizzard and -40 degree weather, never to be seen again.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #105 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 12:10pm

Frank wrote on Sep 15th, 2021 at 11:44am:

On March 16, Lawrence Oates stepped outside the tent with the immortal words:

“I am just going outside and may be some time.”

He walked out into a blizzard and -40 degree weather, never to be seen again.

Those antarctic penguins got him !!!       Shocked

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 2:27am

Darren Bennett   
(NSW Police state crime command director Detective Chief Superintendent) 

"It's an atrocious crime that shouldn't have taken place"

(Re: Daylight gangland shooting in Sydney that left a father and son dead, in a long list of gangland-style" killings)

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #107 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 8:47am

Isn’t it wolderful how philosophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2021 at 1:02pm by Ayn Marx »  

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 9:38am

Ayn Marx wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 8:47am:
Isn’t it wolderful how philophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?

You wander about in unending perplexity...

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #109 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 1:04pm

Frank wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 9:38am:
Isn’t it wonderful how philosophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?

You're entitled to your opinion no matter how odd ? Only thing I’m perplexed about on this thread is the bizarre ideas as to what constitutes philosophy, a strictly well defined discipline.

philosophy
/fɪˈlɒsəfi/

noun: philosophy
the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2021 at 1:19pm by Ayn Marx »  

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 1:45pm

Isn’t it wolderful how philosophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?

Even this statement of yours is philosophical

Did you think about that before you posted it?

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #111 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 4:50pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 1:45pm:

Even this statement of yours is philosophical
Did you think about that before you posted it?

No doubt you’d think a recipe for poached eggs to be philosophical.
Must do better.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:16pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 1:04pm:
Isn’t it wonderful how philosophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?

You're entitled to your opinion no matter how odd ? Only thing I’m perplexed about on this thread is the bizarre ideas as to what constitutes philosophy, a strictly well defined discipline.

philosophy
/fɪˈlɒsəfi/

noun: philosophy
the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

Grin Grin Grin

You will not find much love of or pursuit of wisdom in academic philosophy.

https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/345/browse?type=subject&value=Philos...

the definition "the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence" is touchingly silly, even if it's from Oxford. As if 'the fundamental nature' of anything was ever captured and pinned down for 'academic study'.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #113 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 7:30pm

Frank wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:16pm:
[quote author=Ayn_Marx link=1554600055/107#107 date=1634770052]Isn’t it wonderful how philosophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?

Quote:

I came to that conclusion many decades ago. In particular the French ‘deconstructionist’ movement impressed me as utter nonsense posing as- er - well, I’ve never been sure what the hell it was posing as. The French however have a long tradition of dishing up over-tossed word salad impressing themselves mightily with it .

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 8:33pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 7:30pm:
Frank wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:16pm:
[quote author=Ayn_Marx link=1554600055/107#107 date=1634770052]Isn’t it wonderful how philosophy has widened it’s scope to include just about anything that may happen on or off the planet?

Quote:

I came to that conclusion many decades ago. In particular the French ‘deconstructionist’ movement impressed me as utter nonsense posing as- er - well, I’ve never been sure what the hell it was posing as. The French however have a long tradition of dishing up over-tossed word salad impressing themselves mightily with it .

Two of their 'best' were raging poofs - Barthes, Foucault. Charming writers, completely bonkers ideas. Many of their Anglo epigones also (Judith Butler, gawd'elpus)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 12:31pm

Boris Johnson

(Prime Minister of the United Kingdom)

"No child should ever suffer' in the way Arthur did"

(Re: cruel and sadistic murder in UK of six year old boy by father and step mother)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 9:05pm

Bureaucratic fccwits live among us, in ever greater numbers:

A council in England's south-east has been forced to apologise after lifting cars with a crane to paint double yellow lines along the road edge, then fining the owners of those cars after they were lowered back down.

That's England -  imagine China, India, Sudan, Nigeria etc.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #117 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 12:50pm

Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

"a terrible awful time for Tasmanians"

(Re: Four children killed when an un-tethered jumping castle was blown away in strong gust of wind in Devonport Tas.)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 4:56pm

Sarah Dunn

(Det. Acting Insp. NSW Police)

"It's just too much of a risk to be driving unsafely, with drugs, alcohol or at speed"

(Re: Out of control car flips and smashes into pet shop)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Mar 9th, 2022 at 8:07pm

Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

"It's a major catastrophe"

(Re: Describing the floods at a news conference)

Well, he's got eyes at least

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #120 - Mar 9th, 2022 at 8:13pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 9th, 2022 at 8:07pm:
Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

why did he wait almost two weeks after qld's floods and 1 week after NSW floods, to declare a national emergency?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Mar 9th, 2022 at 10:06pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 9th, 2022 at 8:13pm:
Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

why did he wait almost two weeks after qld's floods and 1 week after NSW floods, to declare a national emergency?

Because he's a gutless wonder

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #122 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 5:21am

ScoMo does no wrong.
He is a follower of God and in Gods eyes, he does no wrong.
It's all you 'un-believers' who are in the wrong so "...just stop it! Stop it!"

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 5:56pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 9th, 2022 at 10:06pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 9th, 2022 at 8:13pm:
Scott Morrison

(Prime Minister)

Because he's a gutless wonder

Absolutely

And once there, he wouldn't allow media cameras apart from his official photographer (can't miss a publicity shot). Nor would he face the victims of the floods, preferring to slither away and hide at the earliest convenience.

And it turns out he's offered extra emergency payments to victims in the nationals held seat that includes lismore, but nothing for victims who have lost everything in the neighboring seat that includes Tweed, which is seat held by labor.

Absolutely disgusting behavior from the PM towards his constituents.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #124 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 8:52pm

And yet they still do it and get away with it.
Why?
Because Australians let them. It's what the people want no?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #125 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 9:10pm

Keep in mind that I'm not partial who I post about, I have no favorites. Whoever states the obvious, I will post their name and their ridiculous statement that we already know, and needn't have been said at all

This is not a political thread, it's about exposing immaturity and deceptiveness in the thought processes of public officials, politicians, police, and anyone else who may be naive or trying to be dishonest in their dialogue

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #126 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 8:11pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 10th, 2022 at 9:10pm:
This is not a political thread, it's about exposing immaturity and deceptiveness in the thought processes of public officials, politicians, police, and anyone else who may be naive or trying to be dishonest in their dialogue

It may well be but it has little, if anything, to do with philosophy,

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #127 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 10:00pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 10th, 2022 at 9:10pm:
Keep in mind that I'm not partial who I post about, I have no favorites. Whoever states the obvious, I will post their name and their ridiculous statement that we already know, and needn't have been said at all

Scorpions and Frogs.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 1:52am

Keeping to my policy of being unbiased and reporting straight down the middle

Anthony Albanese

(Leader of the Labor opposition)

"It's disastrous"

(Re: In interview the other day about damage done by floods)

What are politicians trying to prove when they state the obvious? Is it a syndrome that makes them feel they are connected to the people, that if they say what the people are already thinking, they can then feel they are one of us? Maybe they are trying to get us on their side, and they feel that they can do that by agreeing with us, hence stating the obvious

Just recently, two political leaders stated the obvious ... one said "It's a major catastrophe" ... the other said "It's disastrous" ... both referring to the flooding in Qld and NSW

Given that mutual agreement, one would expect a bipartisan policy between the two to reduce the "famine" from natural disasters before they occur, arrange capital works programs to divert or stop those disasters

I'm reminded of the saying "All talk and no action" ... and stating the obvious may be a way of making us think they'll take action, but at the same time, not guaranteeing they will take action ... just a simple nod of agreement but without commitment

What do you think, why do public officials and politicians state the obvious?

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #129 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 7:48am

Isn’t it amazing how many topics can now be included within philosophy. What’s next, sponge cake recipes?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #130 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 1:30pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Mar 16th, 2022 at 7:48am:
Isn’t it amazing how many topics can now be included within philosophy. What’s next, sponge cake recipes?

You're not trying, you have a chip on your shoulder about something, I don't know what

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 2:21pm

What’s next, sponge cake recipes?

Many years had elapsed during which nothing of Combray, save what was comprised in the theatre and the drama of my going to bed there, had any existence for me, when one day in winter, as I came home, my mother, seeing that I was cold, offered me some tea, a thing I did not ordinarily take. I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind. She sent out for one of those short, plump little cakes called 'petites madeleines,' which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted scallop of a pilgrim's shell. And soon, mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, but individual, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory--this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me, it was myself.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #132 - Mar 20th, 2022 at 4:29pm

Frank wrote on Mar 16th, 2022 at 2:21pm:

Many years had elapsed during which nothing of Combray, save what was comprised in the theatre and the drama of my going to bed there, had any existence for me, when one day in winter, as I came home, my mother, seeing that I was cold, offered me some tea, a thing I did not ordinarily take. I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind. She sent out for one of those short, plump little cakes called 'petites madeleines,' which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted scallop of a pilgrim's shell. And soon, mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, but individual, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory--this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me, it was myself.

Is there a cure for that?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 7:57am

LpAyn Marx wrote on Mar 20th, 2022 at 4:29pm:
Frank wrote on Mar 16th, 2022 at 2:21pm:

Is there a cure for that?

Cure for involuntary memory?

It's not an ailment - to state the obvious....

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #134 - Mar 26th, 2022 at 12:15pm

Peter Dutton

(Minister for Defence)

"very concerning"

(Re: Potential military pact between China and the Solomon Islands)

I'm sure we all know it's concerning, so why did he say it?

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #135 - Mar 27th, 2022 at 9:30am

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 26th, 2022 at 12:15pm:
Peter Dutton

(Minister for Defence)

"very concerning"

(Re: Potential military pact between China and the Solomon Islands)

I'm sure we all know it's concerning, so why did he say it?

Because he’s too gutless to actually do anything about it?
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2022 at 12:12pm by Ayn Marx »  

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #136 - Apr 2nd, 2022 at 4:39pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 10th, 2019 at 1:25pm:
Chris Bowen (Fed Labor) - "Many people suffering cancer have had to reduce their hours of work, or give up work entirely"

It is stating the obvious. But not an unreasonable thing to say. I worked with people who had cancer. It was only when things got bad that they had to reduce their hour, or quit to get more intense treatment.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #137 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:46pm

Marise Payne

(Minister for Foreign Affairs, Minister for Women)

"It's completely unacceptable"

(Re: Butchering of Ukrainians by Russian soldiers)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #138 - May 11th, 2022 at 8:06pm

Paul Toole

(NSW Deputy Premier)

"If you belong to a criminal organization, you'll be involved in crime"

(Re: illicit drug and organized crime problem)

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #139 - May 21st, 2022 at 4:19pm

I recall once, many moons ago....someone on interview in street in USA, was staying ...
"Christmas is a wonderful thing, we should have it once a year"

I think they were fair dinkum about it too...maybe they only had it once ever leap year? Or maybe there were of a religion that didn't celebrate Christmas?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - May 21st, 2022 at 4:56pm

Sophia wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 4:19pm:
I recall once, many moons ago....someone on interview in street in USA, was staying ...
"Christmas is a wonderful thing, we should have it once a year"

I think they were fair dinkum about it too...maybe they only had it once ever leap year? Or maybe there were of a religion that didn't celebrate Christmas?

Yes that was a bit of a boo boo, maybe the person was meaning to say "It's a good thing we have it once a year" ... or ... "We should certainly retain it as a once a year celebration"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - May 23rd, 2022 at 10:19pm

Ozpol ID FutureTheLeftWant

(Leftwing Progressive Humanist poster)

"Sharia law means a law based on an interpretation of the law"

(Re: Ozpolitics thread "Reclaiming Australia .. in "Islam" board)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 6:23pm

Paul Toole    
(Deputy Premier NSW)

"It was shocking and it was violent"

(Re: Fatal stabbing of teenager at Sydney Royal Easter Show this year)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #143 - Aug 15th, 2022 at 2:58pm

Danny Doherty

(Homicide Detective Superintendent)

"It is not acceptable by any standards"

(Re: Assassination style killing of two women sitting in car in the suburb of Revesby in Sydney) 

Was there ever a standard by which two innocent women could be shot to death, regarded as acceptable?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #144 - Nov 1st, 2022 at 11:37am

Troy Papworth

(Vic Acting Police Superintendent)

"It was frankly disgraceful"

(Re: Violence in different locations in Melbourne by groups of black African youths resulting in a person stabbed to death, another person stabbed multiple times and hospitalized, other persons punched and kicked)

Was it just disgraceful, or was it more serious than that?

Let's help Police person Papworth out here

A more appropriate description that came to my mind was: "brutal" ... just off the top of my head, but it seems fitting

So I consulted the dictionary and the meaning is thus ...

brutal | ˈbruːtl |
adjective
savagely violent: a brutal murder.

Perhaps Police person Papworth might have consoled the Public better if he'd said
"We don't need savage violence in Melbourne such as just occurred, we will keep a closer eye on black African youths from now on"
"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - Oct 30th, 2023 at 1:21pm

Chris Minns

(NSW Premier)

"Horrible crime"

(Re: the hammer murder of 21y/old Lilie James at the school where she worked)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #146 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 10:33pm

Anthony Albanese   
(Prime Minister)

"This was a horrific act of violence"

(Re: Multiple stabbings resulting in 6 deaths at shopping mall in Sydney)

You don't say prime minister ... what else would it be?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #147 - Jul 31st, 2024 at 4:43pm

Roger Cook 
(Premier of Western Australia)

"it was a "heinous, ugly and violent attack".

"This is a disgusting crime"

(Re: Rage attack where victim lost his leg below knee, and hit on head with hammer)

Silly premier, who's he trying to convince, himself maybe?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print