Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top gear pit a Tesla 3 against BMW M3 on the track (Read 931 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Top gear pit a Tesla 3 against BMW M3 on the track
Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:56am

[url]https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/25/tesla-model-3-performance-crushes-fossil-bm
w-m3-around-race-track/
[/url]

Top Gear magazine has track tested the Tesla Model 3 Performance head to head against fossil fans’ favorite sports saloon, the BMW M3. The track times were conducted on the 2 mile Thunderhill Raceway Park West circuit, with the Tesla coming in a significant 2 seconds ahead of the (more expensive) BMW. Fossils must now accept all-round inferiority in the performance realm.

Top Gear Magazine‘s head-to-head also found — unsurprisingly — that the Tesla beat the BMW on pure acceleration, as well as on their 0–100–0 mph acceleration-and-braking tests. It’s worth noting also that the price of the Tesla came in at more than a thousand dollars below that of the BMW M3.

A lead of almost 2 seconds on a 2 mile track (with lap times around 85 seconds in total) is significant. Both vehicles were stock without modifications, and were lapped by the same driver.
On the feel of the two vehicles around the track, the testers found that for the BMW, compared to the Tesla:
“when you floor it, the throttle response is glacial by comparison, and the accompanying racket isn’t quite as glorious as you remember — more of a distraction from listening to what the tyres are doing and getting on with the business of going fast.”

They also noted the superiority of the Tesla’s ride for normal daily driving, away from the track:
“Where the BMW’s comfort and refinement is conceded quite a bit to unlock its track potential, the Tesla is utterly uncompromised…”

The BMW M3 was born in 1986, and has been continuously developed and improved by BMW’s motor sport division ever since (over 3 decades now). It has long been viewed as offering the pinnacle of mid-sized sports sedan performance.

The Tesla Model 3 is the first full electric mid-sized sedan ever mass produced by any automaker, and the platform was developed for efficiency, zero emissions, autonomy, and technology (amongst other things), not primarily for performance

The very first iteration of an electric mid-sized sedan to have a performance option beating out the longstanding stalwart of fossil fueled sports sedans … does not bode well for the old tech. After all, the fossil technology has already benefited from over a century of refinements and improvements. If we look 5 or 10 years down the road, what refinements and improvements will EV technology gain, to further the performance lead over fossils?

On public roads, where noise, emissions and other regulations are in effect, and powertrains have to be reliable enough for a lifetime of real-world use, fossil vehicles stand no chance of keeping up with electrics. No wonder the next generation of high-performance hypercars are turning to electric powertrains. The 2020 Tesla Roadster will be joined by the (much more expensive) Rimac Concept 2 and Pininfarina Battista, amongst others.

The BMW M3 is concidered the best 4 door track car ever made and the  Made for comfort Tesla thrashes it.
Tesla has just announced a redo of the S and X models, it will be interesting if they adressed the overheating on the track and how well they do in the future.
As they say if the first ever attemp by Tesla to make a car good on the track beats the industry standard , the next generation can only get better Smiley

I am me

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Top gear pit a Tesla 3 against BMW M3 on the track
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 12:10pm

Can you get a better source lots of lies in your link like this one-

Quote:
the Nürburgring Nordschleife (production cars record)

The Tesla doesn't come close to production car record at that track.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/86123/fastest-nurburgring-lap-times-2019...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:39pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
Can you get a better source lots of lies in your link like this one-

Quote:
the Nürburgring Nordschleife (production cars record)

The Tesla doesn't come close to production car record at that track.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/86123/fastest-nurburgring-lap-times-2019...

No where does it say it does Baron. The line you quoted is a link to the NIO supercar ,I put it up so your could read it Smiley

I would think the BMW M3 isn't on the list of fastest production cars either.....

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/17/nio-nextev-ep9-ev-supercar-bests-earlier-re...
May 17th, 2017
The new record lap time (for an electric vehicle) of just 6 minutes and 45.9 seconds bests the record set last year (7 minutes + 5.12 seconds) by a fair margin, and shows that there’s still some more performance to be squeezed out of the EP9 before its limits have been clearly established.
It should also be noted here, though, that the new record actually established the Nio EP9 as the record holder for “fastest road-legal production car” as well, electric or otherwise — as far as performance at the Nürburgring track goes, that is. The previous record-holder on that count was the Lamborghini Huracán Performante, which did a 6 minutes + 52.01 seconds lap time earlier this year.

from your link Baron

The all-electric NextEV NIO EP9 set what looked like a lap record on the Nurburgring racetrack with an incredible time of 6:45.9, however it later transpired that this was done on bespoke tyres, which is why it doesn't feature in the main list.
In any case, it's six seconds faster than the Lamborghini Huracan Performante – and it's also faster than the NIO EP9's own 7m 05.12s lap – the record for an electric car. Bad weather meant the brand wanted to try again – and apparently favourable conditions made all the difference.

acording to the 7 min 5 sec on the link that makes it the 5th fastest production car, still not to shabby

Not sure where you get that there where lies anywhere  Wink
Eagerly waiting your reply  Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:48pm

Nurburgring times are a bit meaningless. A lot of companies ramp up the car setting the time, putting an actual racing driver, semi-slick tyres waiting for the right time of day etc. Additionally in that list in the top 10, I dare Baron to buy any one of those cars.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:54pm

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/10/pininfarina-battista-says-driving-london-wi
th-1900-hp-is-no-problem/

The battista looks like it is a fun new supercar as well, with 1900 HP and road legal, cant wait until it gives a few tracks a go, ohh and Rimac as well...

they mention the Tesla Roadster as well, if it's a good as the prototype (usually the final release is better than the prototype with Tesla) then it will be in the top 10 as well and probably number 1 and a lot cheaper than the rest...... Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2019 at 3:20pm by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 3:06pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:48pm:
Nurburgring times are a bit meaningless. A lot of companies ramp up the car setting the time, putting an actual racing driver, semi-slick tyres waiting for the right time of day etc. Additionally in that list in the top 10, I dare Baron to buy any one of those cars.

It's ok it just looks like Baron thought the article said the Tesla was the fastest production car , they where giving a link to the NIO, easy mistake..
Yes I agree with you, none of the "production" cars seam to be stock..... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:02pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:54pm:
they mention the Tesla Roadster as well, if it's a good as the prototype (usually the final release is better than the prototype with Tesla) then it will be in the top 10 as well and probably number 1 and a lot cheaper than the rest...... Wink

Number 1 around the Nurburgring? No.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2019 at 6:20am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:02pm:

Time will tell... It has the specs to be the fastest. Wink
https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/roadster

Base Specs

Acceleration 0-100 km/h 2.1 sec
Acceleration 1/4 mile 8.8 sec
Top Speed Over 400 km/h
Wheel Torque 10,000 Nm
Kilometre Range 1000 kilometres

I am me

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2019 at 1:34pm

The Aventador is the fastest production car around the Nürburgring.

Those from the climate change religion tell lies when they claim electric cars are faster there. They keep repeating the lie hoping the gullible will believe it.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:42am

Baronvonrort wrote on May 4th, 2019 at 1:34pm:

The Aventador is the fastest production car around the Nürburgring.

Those from the climate change religion tell lies when they claim electric cars are faster there. They keep repeating the lie hoping the gullible will believe it.

1. Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44.97s
NextEV NIO EP9   6:45.9 (2 years ago when the claim of fastest was made)

don't know where you think anyone was lying Baron Smiley

yes it holds the crown and a very dodgy crown at that, the LAmbo are only making 66 of these cars and the Nio about the same.... hardly mass produced easily available cars.... The Tesla Roadster will be made in Number though and will be interesting to see how it does.

I am me

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print