Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Raise The Rate Of Newstart Week Of Action (Read 587 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Raise The Rate Of Newstart Week Of Action
Jul 14th, 2019 at 8:22am

ACT Council of Social Service lobbies Canberrans to join Raise the Rate Week of Action

Canberra Times
Latest News

The ACT Council of Social Service is calling on Canberrans to lobby for $75 a week increases to "completely inadequate" government payments, including Newstart and Youth Allowance.

With more than 10,000 people in the territory reliant on the allowances, the council's executive director, Susan Helyar, says the action is well overdue. The rate of Newstart has not been increased in 25 years.   Sad

Newstart recipient Connah Brown, who sometimes skips his weekly trip to the grocery store because he can't afford it.

"Despite 70 per cent of the population saying they want the federal government to raise the rate of Newstart, Youth Allowance, Sickness Allowance and other allowances, no action has been taken," Ms Helyar said.   

"[We want] to demonstrate to the federal government, other members of parliament and senators that there is widespread community support for this, and it is [really urgent]."

The Raise the Rate Week of Action was being held from Monday July 15 to Sunday July 21, and encouraged locals to contact their federal MP and the territory's senators to call for change.

People could also pledge to meet their senators in person on the campaign's website, and resources were available to assist those who might find it daunting.

"I would say to people who wonder whether this is the right approach that there is good evidence that reducing financial hardship makes a difference to people actually being able to focus on getting a job," Ms Helyar said.

"People [in poverty] spend all their time just dealing with where their next meal is coming from, balancing which bill they're going to pay, and finding access to often very risky credit."

Newstart recipient Claire Walsh, who has to spend the majority of her Newstart allowance on medication and appointments.

Belconnen resident Connah Brown, who lives with his mother, said the extra $150 a fortnight would mean he would be able to keep food on the table, and look into fixing his faulty vehicle.

The 25-year-old only paid $220 a fortnight in rent, but barely scraped by with his $648 a fortnight combined Newstart allowance and Rent Assistance payment. He had been looking for work for more than a year.

"If I wasn't still living with my parents I would not even be able to afford to live, basically," he said.

"I would be out on the street even with Newstart, simply because there's nowhere in Canberra that has a low enough rent per week that it will cover."

Mr Brown believed his chances at getting a job had been impaired by his financial situation, as he could afford little in terms of dress clothing.

"I've probably lost my chance at a couple of positions simply because I wasn't dressed appropriately," he said.

"[The extra $75 a week would] just ease general financial pressure."

University of Canberra journalism student Claire Walsh, like Mr Brown, said she would be calling local politicians to aid the Raise the Rate campaign, and hopefully her own financial situation.

The 22-year-old, who still lives at home, forks out hundreds of dollars a month to cover medical expenses related to her endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

She had to leave a job of three years on doctor's advice and got a Newstart exemption, but recently took up five hours of work a fortnight at a radio station because it was a great opportunity.

"I see a chiropractor, a physio, a personal trainer, and a psychologist. I see my GP at least once a month, a gynaecologist, and then I've got medications on top of that," Ms Walsh said.

Ms Walsh had been receiving Newstart since February this year at about $600 a fortnight. She expected the allowance would go down slightly with her new work hours.

"I'm really sick of relying on the government and my parents," she said.

"I think that's a really big misconception, that people on Newstart or on any government payment ... don't want to work.

"In reality, it's a lifeline for me."

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Raise The Rate Of Newstart Week Of Action
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 2:36pm

"Despite 70 per cent of the population saying they want the federal government to raise the rate of Newstart, Youth Allowance, Sickness Allowance and other allowances, no action has been taken," Ms Helyar said.   Sad 

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:04pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 2:36pm:
"Despite 70 per cent of the population saying they want the federal government to raise the rate of Newstart, Youth Allowance, Sickness Allowance and other allowances, no action has been taken," Ms Helyar said.   Sad 

In the real world - people are getting laid off - left right and center -
it doesn't matter if they're the cleaner or the manager -
the companies are running on skeleton staff numbers and then they cut deeper.

Then the Govt. will do almost nothing to support those people
who paid heavy taxes all their lives.
Basically we're all being thrown overboard one by one.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:14pm

Well said Bobby, when will the unemployed ever get a fair and just increase?.  Long overdue, and no reason not to give them an increase.   Sad

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:14pm

They should raise it because giving a rise to the lowest paid people in the community means that money is more likely to be spent rather than saved or given as a tax cut to the wealthy. So what do you say scumo ? Here is an opportunity for you to stimulate your failing services and consumption based economy which you so desperately wanted to transition too ! This is what happens when you don't manufacture anything anymore and you have to borrow to pay for all of the imports Sad

And trying to re-inflate the property bubble won't work. It will be like air coming out of a whoopy cushion Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:16pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:14pm:
Well said Bobby, when will the unemployed ever get a fair and just increase?.  Long overdue, and no reason not to give them an increase.   Sad 

Thanks sir Crook,

Pollies don't understand how hard it is to run a company.
There are too many taxes -
at last count there were 38 different taxes in Victoria.
The obvious one is payroll tax!
That's money that an employee never sees - but is robbed out of a company
just for the privilege of employing someone -
it's a tax on employment -
discouraging employers from hiring a new person.

Does that employee ever see that money again? -
No - go down to Centerlink & try and beg for a few pennies when you lose your job.
All you'll get is a kick up the arse.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:52pm

Yeah go on give the poor coots some more money.

You try living on the NewStart.

Now that ADANI will soon start bringing in the export moola ScoMo can afford to pay them a bit more.

Now, if Labor had got in, they would be stealing from retirees and pensioners to get the extra money to increase NewStart.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 5:29pm

Coalition already taken from pensioners and retirees.  Reedming rates?

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:48pm

I for one am sick and tired of Josh Frydenberg's "two-thirds of the people come off Newstart within 12 months and go into a job" talking point, as if this in some way justifies the cruelty inflected on the remainder of long term unemployed stuck on this beyond meager payment.

The majority of long term unemployed are now 55-65 year olds.
I doubt it's easy couch surfing at this point in life and medical expenses are known to increase as you age! But no thought is given to these issues. Josh Frydenberg keeps hammering out his talking points and people continue to be dismissed, forgotten and marginalized because they don't suit the Government's narrative! 

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:58pm by 0ktema »  

"We Are Consciousness Itself"
- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:49pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:14pm:

After The Revolution....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:52pm

juliar wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:52pm:
Yeah go on give the poor coots some more money.

You try living on the NewStart.

Now that ADANI will soon start bringing in the export moola ScoMo can afford to pay them a bit more.

Now, if Labor had got in, they would be stealing from retirees and pensioners to get the extra money to increase NewStart.

Export moolah from Adani?  What dream are you on?  They'll COST this nation millions if not billions...

There is no 'export moolah' when those exporting pay no taxes here, and only their very few local employees pay any tax at all...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:36pm

The Grappler is really grappling with this Newstart thing as he confuses it with ADANI clean coal for India.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print