Send Topic Print
Scamwatch (Read 51931 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Re: Scamwatch
Reply #240 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:18pm

Anyone notice the people out there on facebook that want to give $5000 to the people who write back saying "Alive" or something like that? They want people to hand over their details so that they can drain their bank account.

At this stage...
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #241 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:38pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:18pm:
Anyone notice the people out there on facebook that want to give $5000 to the people who write back saying "Alive" or something like that? They want people to hand over their details so that they can drain their bank account.

Just another reason why I'll never use Facebook.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #242 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:14pm

NSW - Sydney

Here's a scam of a different kind

Sydney GP gets $24million from last minute change of will of dying patient ... Originally, it was meant for the Salvation Army

Bit suss! ... and it's not the first time he's benefited from a patient's will

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/court-clears-sydney-doctor-who-inherit...

$24million ?? - I'm lost for words 

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #243 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 4:36pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:14pm:
NSW - Sydney

Here's a scam of a different kind

Sydney GP gets $24million from last minute change of will of dying patient ... Originally, it was meant for the Salvation Army

Bit suss! ... and it's not the first time he's benefited from a patient's will

$24million ?? - I'm lost for words 

Wow!  And it only took him 3 years!! 

What is wrong with the courts? 

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #244 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:30pm

This is a scam where a Super Fund helped the scammer, the Super Fund transferred $180,000 of the victims super without him knowing about it, to the scammer

So what does this tell you? It tells you to be wary of Super Funds, and if they stuff up and you lose money because of their stuff up, you should be entitled to receive a FULL refund of the money taken out of your account through no fault of your own

When the victim took the case to court, the Judge found in his favor ... but instead of getting a full refund, the Super Fund gave him only one third of it - how did they get away with that?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-27/superannuation-scam-hostplus-fraud-afca-c...

"His fund, Intrust Super, failed to notice anything suspicious with the dodgy rollover form.

Intrust is now owned by Hostplus which manages $110 billion for 1.8 million people.

It wasn't until Lee opened a letter from his super fund that he realised anything was wrong.

"[It said] as per your wishes, we've transferred your entire super balance
. I just went, 'What's going on here? This is crazy'."

'One call could have stopped it'

When Lee saw the rollover forms, he could tell straight away there were several issues.

"That's definitely not my signature, I smell a rat," he said"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #245 - Jul 10th, 2024 at 10:44pm

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #246 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 11:00am

Just got a message from a scammer on my iPhone:

“You have an important message from [ATO] regarding your 2024 lodgement”

It gives a URL “to click to view” which involves tax file numbers.

So be warned! Be other, more sophisticated phishing attempts to do with tax returns.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #247 - Aug 14th, 2024 at 11:06pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 28th, 2024 at 10:48pm:
Speaking of scams ...

I've been with RACV for Comprehensive Car Insurance and House and Contents Insurance for a very long time. More than 30 years.

This year, my Car insurance premium has gone up almost 33%  Shocked

No change in circumstances. The car is a 2017 Kia Cerato very low Kms no change to location, no claims made.

So ... I have finally had enough of paying the "loyalty tax" and I found APIA to be much cheaper (more than $300 less) and for agreed value $20,000 not market value $16,000 as it was with RACV.

I'll be dumping my Home and Contents Insurance with RACV too when it becomes due in May and moving that over to APIA too. Also cheaper and a higher value insured for the house and contents.  Cool

Stuff 'em.  Angry

There is a class action taking place against RACV for deceptive behavior about "discounts" for years membership and multi-policies.

Anyone who might be interested in registering an interest in it if you have held an RACV insurance policy can do so here:

https://www.slatergordon.com.au/class-actions/current-class-actions/iag-home-ins...

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #248 - Sep 23rd, 2024 at 10:13am

Good news:

MEDIA RELEASE
23 September 2024
ACCC takes Woolworths and Coles to court over alleged misleading ‘Prices
Dropped’ and ‘Down Down’ claims

The ACCC has commenced separate proceedings in the Federal Court against Woolworths
Group Limited (Woolworths) (ASX: WOW) and Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd (Coles)
(a subsidiary of Coles Group Limited - ASX: COL) for allegedly breaching the Australian
Consumer Law by misleading consumers through discount pricing claims on hundreds of
common supermarket products.

The ACCC’s allegations relate to products sold by each of Woolworths and Coles at regular
long-term prices which remained the same, excluding short-term specials, for at least six
months and in many cases for at least a year.

The products were then subject to price rises of at least 15 per cent for brief periods, before
being placed in Woolworths’ ‘Prices Dropped’ promotion and Coles’ ‘Down Down’ promotion,
at prices lower than during the price spike but higher than, or the same as, the regular price
that applied before the price spike.

“Following many years of marketing campaigns by Woolworths and Coles, Australian
consumers have come to understand that the ‘Prices Dropped’ and ‘Down Down’ promotions
relate to a sustained reduction in the regular prices of supermarket products. However, in the
case of these products, we allege the new ‘Prices Dropped’ and ‘Down Down’ promotional
prices were actually higher than, or the same as, the previous regular price,” ACCC Chair
Gina Cass-Gottlieb said.

“We allege that each of Woolworths and Coles breached the Australian Consumer Law by
making misleading claims about discounts, when the discounts were, in fact, illusory.”

“We also allege that in many cases both Woolworths and Coles had already planned to later
place the products on a ‘Prices Dropped’ or ‘Down Down’ promotion before the price spike,
and implemented the temporary price spike for the purpose of establishing a higher ‘was’
price,” Ms Cass-Gottlieb said.

The ACCC alleges the conduct involved 266 products for Woolworths at different times
across 20 months, and 245 products for Coles at different times across 15 months.

The representations were made on pricing tickets displayed to consumers in-store on
supermarket shelves and online, usually with a ‘was’ price displayed showing what the price
was during the short-term price spike and the date of that price.

The ACCC identified this conduct through consumer contacts to the ACCC and social media
monitoring, and then conducted an in-depth investigation using its compulsory powers.

“Many consumers rely on discounts to help their grocery budgets stretch further, particularly
during this time of cost of living pressures.

It is critical that Australian consumers are able to
rely on the accuracy of pricing and discount claims,” Ms Cass-Gottlieb said.

“We allege these misleading claims about illusory discounts diminished the ability of
consumers to make informed choices about what products to buy, and where.”

The ACCC estimates that Woolworths and Coles sold tens of millions of the affected
products and derived significant revenue from those sales.
The ACCC is seeking declarations, penalties, costs and other orders.

The ACCC is also
seeking community service orders that Woolworths and Coles must each fund a registered
charity to deliver meals to Australians in need, in addition to their pre-existing charitable
meal delivery programs.

Alleged conduct

The ACCC alleges that the supermarkets offered certain products at a regular price for at
least 180 days.

They then increased the price of the product by at least 15 per cent for a
relatively short period of time, and subsequently placed it onto their ‘Prices Dropped’ or
‘Down Down’ program.

The ACCC alleges the display of the Prices Dropped and Down Down tickets was
misleading, as the price of the products was in fact higher than or the same as the regular
price at which the supermarket had previously offered the products for sale.

Alleged conduct by Woolworths
The ACCC alleges that Woolworths made false or misleading representations to consumers
about the prices of 266 products during the period between September 2021 and May 2023.

Products affected include Arnott’s Tim Tams biscuits, Dolmio sauces, Doritos salsa,
Energizer batteries, Friskies cat food, Kellogg’s cereal, President butter, Listerine
mouthwash, Moccona coffee capsules, Mother energy drinks, Mr Chen’s noodles, Nicorette
patches, Ocean Blue smoked salmon, Oreo cookies, Palmolive dishwashing liquid, Raid
insect spray, Sprite soft drink, Stayfree pads, Twisties, Uncle Tobys muesli bars, and Vicks
VapoDrops.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #249 - Oct 9th, 2024 at 10:42pm

Oh Pooh bear!
I’ve come home to a letter from bloom hearing (I suppose they supplied my hearing aids etc) to inform me of a data breach in their company. So my info is on the dark web… (like as if it wasn’t before thanks to Optus… and whom ever else  Roll Eyes)
Any wonder I’m getting these frantic missed phone calls and stupid emails supposedly from the ATO etc blah blah blah

I’ve got to be more mindful and ignore it all!

It’s not to going to get any better, and it’s not going to go away, geez, even hearing aid companies are not safe.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #250 - Oct 12th, 2024 at 9:20pm

Damn it all, these idiots!
If it’s a hearing aid mob they had hacked data of our personal info, then why do they expect we will answer the phone (coz most of the time I don’t hear it coz I don’t use my hearing aids!  Cheesy)

After some time from past prank calls and false text for ato refund, or failed parcel delivery… I did bide my time to block them all and delete.
Then peace time for a while!
Except now it’s started all over again with fresh new lot of scammers.
Im just going to keep vigil as I had done and just block and delete.
Hopefully eventually it will subside… until next data hack I suppose  Roll Eyes
I do worry about others falling for the tricks, clicking on the links.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #251 - Oct 12th, 2024 at 9:28pm

Sophia wrote on Oct 9th, 2024 at 10:42pm:
Oh Pooh bear!
I’ve come home to a letter from bloom hearing (I suppose they supplied my hearing aids etc) to inform me of a data breach in their company. So my info is on the dark web… (like as if it wasn’t before thanks to Optus… and whom ever else  Roll Eyes)
Any wonder I’m getting these frantic missed phone calls and stupid emails supposedly from the ATO etc blah blah blah

I’ve got to be more mindful and ignore it all!

It’s not to going to get any better, and it’s not going to go away, geez, even hearing aid companies are not safe.

Every time I've gone to hospital - I have given them my name and phone number.
Always for 2 weeks after that I get spammed by scammers with text messages and phone calls -
they are always Indians or Filipinos.
I block and delete them and they go away.
It means there are corrupt people in hospitals selling our private data to scammers and hackers -
but I can't prove it.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #252 - Oct 15th, 2024 at 7:31am

Wow even the stock market has been scammed and investors portfolios accessed  Shocked
What’s next?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print