Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Will the bottom fall out of home solar ? (Read 10229 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Will the bottom fall out of home solar ?
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:29pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:20pm:
The bottom fell out a long time ago, get 2 cents a feed in tariff and think yourself lucky, just make max use of the solar panels as often as possible for the good of the planet.

If I got 2c kWh I'd crunch cryptocurrency myself instead.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:40pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:29pm:
The bottom fell out a long time ago, get 2 cents a feed in tariff and think yourself lucky, just make max use of the solar panels as often as possible for the good of the planet.

Crypto is all well and good but it comes down to number crunching.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:50pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:40pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:29pm:

Crypto is all well and good but it comes down to number crunching.

It comes down to power costs. If I was getting nothing for my power I may as well use that power on running ASICs that used that power mining crypto.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:51pm

What good of the planet? Cobalt mining by children? Silica dust? Rare earths mining destroying agricultural land? 

And they still need huge amounts of steel, copper, cement. And of course you have to run back up generators all the time for when the Weather Dependent Renewables don't work hard enough.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 10:07pm

lee wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:51pm:

What good of the planet? Cobalt mining by children? Silica dust? Rare earths mining destroying agricultural land? 

And they still need huge amounts of steel, copper, cement. And of course you have to run back up generators all the time for when the Weather Dependent Renewables don't work hard enough.

Nothing wrong with some backup gas fired generators with huge wind powered generators and solar panels as the primary source of power, all for nuclear power grunt though.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:15pm

The ultimate kick in the teeth when the Solar Fan boy/girl has trouble with the white elephant sitting on their roof and then finds the crooks who "installed" it have disappeared along with the now useless "warranty"!!!!

What to do if your solar company goes out of business
Alison Potter Last updated: 11 October 2018

Schematic example of a solar Photovoltaic system

Thousands of solar systems in Australia have been left stranded by solar companies that have been wound up.
sunset reflected on solar panels.

Are you stranded with a faulty solar PV system that should still be under warranty but the solar company has been wound up?

There may be hundreds of thousands of solar systems across Australia 'orphaned' in this way. We advise how best to avoid this, and what to do if you're in this situation.

On this page:
The problem of disappearing solar companies
What to do if your solar company goes bust
Why we all pay when solar companies go out of business
How to avoid a dodgy solar company

The problem of disappearing solar companies.
CHOICE Help, the consumer advisory service for our members, hears from a lot of solar owners with various issues but at least 10% of these involve companies that have liquidated, leaving the member with a faulty system and little recourse.

In a CHOICE survey of more than 1000 solar owners, 30% reported they had a problem with the solar company and four percent reported they had a problem getting warranties honoured.

Fair Trading NSW confirmed that in the last financial year they've had 29 complaints about liquidated or deregistered solar companies and 245 complaints about refunds, repairs and warranties in the solar industry.

The boom-and-bust nature of the solar industry, often due to the prevailing government policy, has led to many honest and not-so-honest companies going under.

Markus Lambert, general manager of solar and energy at LG, has been compiling a list of ASIC notices of companies with 'solar' in their name that are in liquidation or proposed deregistration since 2011.

"It's currently at 610," he says, "and we check every four to six weeks and add 10 to 12 companies every time."

Lambert estimates that there could be approximately 600,000 solar PV systems 'orphaned' this way, out of the approximately 1.9 million installed in Australia. That's about 31%.

Finn Peacock, a chartered electrical engineer and solar energy expert, has watched companies rise and fall in the industry for more than 10 years and says many genuinely run out of cash.

"Solar is hard on cash flow and margins can be slim. One big commercial job that goes bad or is not paid for can kill a company."

What to do if your solar company goes bust.

Read on and be depressed and wondering what to do with your that big white elephant on your roof here

https://www.choice.com.au/home-improvement/energy-saving/solar/articles/what-to-...

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 3:10pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 10:07pm:
Nothing wrong with some backup gas fired generators with huge wind powered generators and solar panels as the primary source of power, all for nuclear power grunt though.

Renewables can not become the primary source of power. They not efficient enough.

People confuse the nameplate capacity with the capacity factor. The capacity factor for solar is about 18%-20%. For wind up to about 35%. The capacity factor is a percentage of nameplate capacity. It tells us what the derived power may be.

But even if we build to 3-5 times installed capacity, it won't give us stability of supply. And those back generators have to be kept running, at reduced capacity, anyway.

They can be useful in small communities where there is no manufacturing.

Consider Coober Pedy -

"EDL has been operating the plant, a mix of wind, solar, batteries, flywheels, diesel and resistors, since 2017 – and it says that the average share of renewables in the town’s electricity supply since then has been 70 per cent.

Even more impressively, for more than half the time it has been running at 100 per cent renewables, with the longest uninterrupted period of 100 per cent renewables being 81 hours, achieved in December last year. And it has been running at 99.9 per cent reliability."

https://reneweconomy.com.au/coober-pedy-powered-by-100-per-cent-renewables-most-...

So less than 3.5 continually days since 2017. And they still need the diesel generator.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:14am

Alice Springs has a solar system which failed spectacularly when a cloud blew over!!

wonder if they have any lifts in Alice Springs ?  Wonder how the solar panels work in the moonlight ?

Now if they had an Hydrogen Energy Storage System to sop up all the surplus energy this would never have happened.

Can the Northern Territory cope with a transition to 50% renewables?
By Felicity James Posted Thursday 12 December 2019 at 7:13am, updated Thursday 12 December 2019 at 7:43pm

Solar panels at the Uterne solar power station near Alice Springs. The Alice Springs power system was unable to cope with a minor cloud over the Uterne solar farm.(Supplied: Epuron)

It was a minor weather event the Alice Springs power system should have been able to cope with — an afternoon cloud drifted by causing a drop in output from the Uterne solar farm and rooftop solar.

Key points:
The Utilities Commission warns NT systems are not robust enough for renewables target
The territory could still achieve its renewables target with careful planning, according to Grattan Institute
A solar industry group says the sacking of NT utilities bosses was not necessary

Instead, the predictable event had been "unforeseen" by operators and a cascade of system and procedural failures caused a "system black" on October 13, according to a Northern Territory Utilities Commission investigation into the incident.

The outage affected 12,000 customers for up to 10 hours, including the hospital, vulnerable elderly people and those on life support, and remote communities such as Haasts Bluff almost 230 kilometres away.

The cloud itself was not the problem though, according to the NT Utilities Commission.

"The system should be able to cope with it, it didn't," Commissioner Lyndon Rowe told the ABC.

"We should be able to design systems that can withstand clouds — clouds are not unusual events."

Looking down from Anzac Hill across the Alice Springs downtown area. The mass power outage on October 13 was Alice Springs' second mass power outage in as many weeks.(ABC News: Neda Vanovac)

Alice Springs has in the past led the way with renewable energy research and development in the NT — when the NT Government set its 50 per cent renewables by 2030 target two years ago, industry pushed for the town to become a "solar hub".

But Commissioner Rowe said there were lessons to be learnt from the most recent Alice Springs incident, about what happens when solar integration is not managed properly.

What went wrong?
Among the basic failures, the generators were not functioning properly at the Owen Springs power station before the system black, but there were no alarms to alert operators to this fact.

A new battery energy storage system — a positive addition according to the Commissioner — started functioning properly but then failed because it had the wrong settings.

Workmen on a truck with a Territory Generation banner. Territory Generation is facing pressure to permanently reopen and restaff the Ron Goodin Power Station.(Supplied: Territory Generation)

Not enough work had been done to learn how to integrate the battery technology into the system.

"This illustrates the need for good coordination across the system," Commissioner Rowe said.

Don't be kept in the dark, read on here

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-12/alice-springs-blackout/11781970

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:29am

How the Greenies want to sabotage the power supply to shut down ALL industry in Australia and return it to a backward primitive ghetto the like of which you would find in darkest Africa today.

Renewable rubbish only works about 3 days a week.

They definitely need an Hydrogen Energy Storage System which would store huge amounts of surplus energy ready for any emergency.

The silly little battery is useless as it is flat in a matter of seconds!!!

Yet another Greeny failure.

Shine comes off solar from Alice Springs failure
Chris McLennan DECEMBER 10 2019 - 9:00AM

A passing cloud at Uterne Solar Station at Alice Springs has placed the NT's reliance on solar under question.

The NT's claim to be home to one of the world's leading solar energy resources lost some of its shine yesterday.

All because of a cloud.

One of the many factors which caused the nine hour blackout in Alice Springs in October was such a cloud.

"The output of Uterne solar station was relatively constant at around 3.3 MW until 1:43 PM. At 1:43 PM a cloud passed over the station and station output became highly variable with reductions in output to as low as 0.5 MW," the report found.

In the blink of an eye, the almost four megawatts of power supplied from the Uterne Solar Farm into the local grid became a fraction of that.

Combined with the many folks who happily connect their roof-top solar to the grid in return for free power and even power credits, the cloud caught local power providers napping.

So much so that investigators have recommended power companies in this part of the world buy a cloud forecasting service so they can at least see the power dip coming.

That is if we continue to rely ever more heavily on solar for baseload power.

The NT Government gave the Utilities Commission the job of finding what went wrong that day in Alice Springs.

When you combined 40 degree temperatures with power cuts of eight hours, it makes for hot under the collar voters in central Australia.

The investigators made it clear solar wasn't solely to blame.

Even the battery hooked up the network did what it could but was only designed to be used for seconds, not hours.

Trying to untangle the jargon used by the investigators it is clear there was a stuff up.

The transfer of the baseload power from the Ron Goodin Power Station to the new Owen Springs Power Station was going too fast with far too little co-ordination.

Owen Springs provides power from a combination of gas and diesel generators. Picture: Territory Generation.

But the Alice Springs blackout has also highlighted out future trust in solar might be shortsighted.

Again in its report, the Utilities Commission said "the sudden unforeseen (by those managing the system) reduction in solar generation due to cloud which precipitated the system black is not considered a root cause of the system black, as a power system should be designed as far as practical to be sufficiently robust to withstand this"

"However, it is further evidence that the current systems (including Darwin/Katherine and Tennant Creek) may not be agile and robust enough to support an early transition towards the Territory Governments 50 per cent renewables by 2030 target."

Ron Goodin Power Station is mostly gas powered.

Don't be under a cloud read on here

https://www.katherinetimes.com.au/story/6534032/shine-comes-off-solar-from-alice...

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:29pm

Strewth Julia, anyone with solar panels will tell you they are good value, even with the dismal 1 cent feed in bonus, i have had mine for 10yrs and they have paid for themselves 3 times over, i can run my AC for 4hrs per day when the sun is shining for zero dollars or emissions, i am crafty with my solar and only vacuum or do the washing etc when the sun is shining.

Right now there are a lot of solar and wind farms putting out mega megawatts of clean energy, if they were not viable they wouldn't be there. 1 windy mill puts out power enough to feed 13,000 houses every year.

Cobalt and silica you say,, black lung disease and a choking planet!

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:36pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:29pm:
Strewth Julia, anyone with solar panels will tell you they are good value, even with the dismal 1 cent feed in bonus, i have had mine for 10yrs and they have paid for themselves 3 times over, i can run my AC for 4hrs per day when the sun is shining for zero dollars or emissions, i am crafty with my solar and only vacuum or do the washing etc when the sun is shining.

Strewth. Who new solar panels were "green" after manufacture and until they expire? Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:50pm

lee wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:36pm:
Johnnie wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:29pm:

Strewth. Who new solar panels were "green" after manufacture and until they expire? Grin Grin Grin Grin

After 20yrs plus and many megawatts of free clean energy, kind of puts your argument sus.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:56pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:50pm:
After 20yrs plus and many megawatts of free clean energy, kind of puts your argument sus.

Nope. Perhaps you can give us the CO2 emissions amongst others used in the manufacture of your "green" solar panels.

BTW- Have you really had your panels installed for 20 years?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 4:09pm

JD, you are fortunate that you can exploit your system so effectively.

I assume you are home during the day to be able to use the main energy time during midday.

That is unless you have battery storage.

For people who are at work during the day they can't use the midday power UNLESS they have about $20.000.00 worth of batteries to store the energy.

In an area where there is dust the solar panels quickly lose power until the dust is cleaned off. This is a major problem for those farms in desert areas.

Someone once posted you need 7 Tesla Lithium Ion batteries to be able to charge a Tesla car overnight.

One very dodgy aspect of having those batteries installed close to your house is the EVER PRESENT risk of them catching fire if a fault develops in one or more of the individual cells.

Would do wonders for your insurance claim. Especially if it was rejected for having such a dangerous installation so close to your house.

JD, you could have one of those electric car thingos and charge it with your solar panels. Very cheap travel for short distances.

A freak hail storm works wonders for a solar panel installation. Lets the air into them.

And isn't it annoying when there is a week of overcast rainy weather. Thank heavens for the reliable coal fired power mains.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:58am

Do the solar Fan Boys and Girls feel guilty about costing all the non solar homes big money ?  And damaging their neighbors appliances with excessive voltage their solar panels are putting on the mains ?  Of course not.

Just like Greenies don't care about the hundreds of birds wind farms kill.

Solar subsidy death spiral: $2 billion in Australia, rising 50% pa as electricity prices rocket
h/t Pat and Dave B. February 20th, 2019

Solar Panels cost more than people realize.

A few Australians are just beginning to realize that they are paying for their neighbor’s solar panel. As news spreads, the shine of good-citizen-solar is going to tarnish fast, but it is going to take a concerted campaign to spread the word.

In one corner are 2 million households which have solar PV and thought they paid for it themselves. In the other corner are 7.5 million households which have exorbitant electricity bills. And in every corner and all across the spectrum is mass confusion thanks to the mass media.

The fog of advertisements disguised as “news” means if you ask a dumb-enough-question 70% of Australians will say they want the government to set a high RET target to make electricity cheaper. It’s almost like 2 out of 3 people think we need the government to force us to buy cheap stuff, because everyone would buy the “expensive” planet killing volts if we only had the choice. Duh.

That’s $200 per household (and the rest!) added to the electricity bill in 2019
This is just the direct SRES (Small Renewable Energy Scheme) cost. It doesn’t cover the burden of stabilizing the grid, of covering the cost of baseload power sitting around waiting for when solar users need it.

Unreliable power makes the whole system less efficient, costs go up and all the cheap electricity generators have to charge higher prices too (at least, the ones it doesn’t drive out of business). Then there are the price spikes — so wild they make these subsidies look cheap.

Households’ $2bn hit for solar roof panel subsidies
Perry Williams, The Australian

Households will pay nearly $2 billion for rooftop solar installation subsidies this year, costing every home nearly $200 and threatening to derail Scott Morrison’s pledge to cut power bills.

The cost of the federal Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme (SRES) and state-based rebates combined is forecast to rise by 45 per cent from $1.2bn last year to $1.74bn this year.

However, analysis of the cost of small-scale technology certificates, which are handed to consumers installing solar panels and then bought back by electricity ­retailers, shows a soaring cost for all power users.

How’s this for confusion?
Energy companies say the subsidy is 15% of the bill, but the Minister says it is just 3%. We don’t even know what the cost is. Therein lies a free-market disaster. How is anyone supposed to make sensible decisions?

Origin Energy ­revealed last year that the government’s SRES and state-based solar feed-in tariffs accounted for up to 15 per cent of bill charges.

Mr Taylor, the Energy Minister, said the cost of small-scale technology certificates — created to increase the incentive to install rooftop solar — was just 3 per cent of an average household bill.

Big energy blames big government and big government blames the big energy companies and in a way they’re both right. The big energy companies are playing the market for profits, but big government is screwing the people for power — selling “green electrons” at the election to win seats.

The Liberals are tossing away their best proven election winning advantage. They won’t win votes by aiming for the empty dead centre. The killer comments and lines are left on the cutting room floor.

They can’t show what fools the Labor Green candidates are while they try to be better managed fools themselves.

Just call it quits on the Solar PV subsidy — save householders $200 this year, and even more the year after that.

But read the comments at The Australian. Even at the most informed masthead in the nation many people have no clue.

Sawdust
I pay 28c per kWh for electricity I use from the grid. I get 11c per kWh for electricity my solar panels feed into the grid. Tell me again how I am costing other users money?

The only clever thing about renewable energy is the way the true cost is hidden.

http://joannenova.com.au/2019/02/solar-subsidy-death-spiral-2-billion-in-austral...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print