Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Computer Build/Rebuild (Read 2026 times)
Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Computer Build/Rebuild
Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:11pm

Been busy over the past week with my favourite hobby - building home PC's.

Bought a new case and power supply and moved my current (3 and a half year old) motherboard, processor and graphics card into the new case.

I then brought out of 'storage' a slightly older motherboard, processor and graphics card and put them into the old case/power supply after cleaning it up - doesn't get too dusty because I blow it out about once a month with an air blower I bought from PLE computers.

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/627206/XPower-Airrow-Pro-Electric-Blower---Black

Saves dragging out the big air compressor from the shed and I also save a fortune not having to buy tins of compressed air.

New computer case:

'Old" case with the 'older' motherboard, etc. (I hadn't installed the 2 solid state drives into the case at the time - these pictures were taken last Friday):

I had to install Windows 10 on the 'older' PC when I finished assembling it - I'm actually posting from that PC right now, here's a picture I took about 10 minutes ago (with this post on the screen):

After I've 'tested' this older PC and I'm happy with it I'll put it into 'storage' and use the 'newer' one (might have to bring the older one out of 'storage' every month or so to update everything).

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Computer Build/Rebuild
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:16pm

Bloody Martians have landed!!!!

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:20pm

Carl,

What a really nice looking piece of kit.

Lots of space for expansion.

3 year old tech, you can now just replace and upgrade soon.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:34pm

Nice.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:40pm

Nice, love a nice fast desktop.

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 8:58pm

very good

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 9:56pm

Good on you Carl,
I also like to build my own computers
however the last time I just told the shop what I wanted
and they built it for me -
and I only had to load windows.

I worry about warranty claims when you build it yourself?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 10:23pm

I WANT ONE TOO !!!!           Cry           Cry          Cry

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 11:55pm

This computer I have here is about 8 years old. It has gone through nothing more than an upgrade in RAM and a few software updates since I have got the computer. The DVD drive broke a couple of years ago and I have not been able to play anything on it since.

I have considered getting a new computer for the last year. But seeing that the computer is still going strong, I could probably keep the computer for another couple of years. Besides that, I see computers out there for $800 that do less than what I paid for this computer.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:01am

Thanks, guys.

I also took the opportunity to remove the CPU fans/heatsinks from both motherboards while I had them out then clean up and apply new thermal paste (just a grain sized 'blob' of paste in the middle of the CPU before reattaching the heatsink/fan is what is recommended).

Also replaced the 3 volt 2032 'button' batteries on the motherboards which retains the BIOS and time settings when the PC's are turned off and disconnected from mains power - had to go into the BIOS and adjust the settings (just optimized defaults for me) when I powered up the PC(s) for the first time after I finished the builds.

I always shut down my PC and turn the power off at the UPS (uninterruptible power supply aka battery backup for mains power cuts) and the wall switch when I'm not using the PC for a while.

The newer (3 and a half year old) Gigabyte motherboard now in the new case has 32GB RAM (4 slots, 8GB each slot) and the older (5 year old) ASUS motherboard in the old case which I'm using right now has 16GB RAM - it only has 2 slots with 8GB sticks in each.

One thing I've ALWAYS hated about building my own PC - and I've been doing it for nearly 20 years - is those pain in the rear end connectors for the front panel where they plug into the motherboard. I almost need a magnifying glass to see what I'm doing, even with my reading glasses on.

This article is over 13 years old but nothing seems to have changed since:

@#&$%! front panel connectors

https://techreport.com/blog/12098/front-panel-connectors/

Grin

This sort of thing should have been standardized years ago with just a single plug to handle all of the connections.

Oh, I should have mentioned in my earlier post that if anyone is cleaning out their PC with an air compressor, air duster (like I've bought) or even a tin of compressed air, make sure you stop the CPU and other fan blades from spinning with a pen or pencil or something similar while you're 'blasting' them with air or they can spin so fast you risk damaging or destroying the fan bearings.

Also, its a good idea to use a water trap attachment if you're using an air compressor to avoid condensation from coming out with the compressed air which can happen sometimes - which is also the main reason (apart from the cost) why I don't like those tins of compressed air.

Bobby. wrote on Nov 16th, 2020 at 9:56pm:
I worry about warranty claims when you build it yourself?

Hi, Bobby.

There wouldn't be any warranty for a self built PC of course but I'm sure the warranties for the individual components (power supply, motherboard, graphics card, etc.) would still apply.

You'd probably need to prove that it wasn't something you did (errors during assembly, etc.) that caused the component(s) to fail but I imagine the manufacturers would be able to determine what happened when the item is returned for warranty claims.

The only component I've ever had to claim warranty on in nearly 20 years was a very expensive NVIDIA graphics card that blew up 12 years ago after about a month's use in one of my self built PC's (I still remember the loud 'POP' sound inside the case followed immediately by the monitor going black).  Shocked

The PC kept running but because I couldn't see anything I had to shut it down with the power button.. lol..

Upon inspecting the graphics card the cooling fan had somehow come loose from its mount and jammed against the surrounding 'shroud' causing the fan to stop spinning which then caused the card to overheat and fail.

I returned the card to the computer store where I bought it and they immediately replaced it for me after their  'in house' tech looked at it - they didn't even ask me to wait for it to be returned to the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:55am by Carl D »  

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 5:52am

Carl,
Quote:
Hi, Bobby.

There wouldn't be any warranty for a self built PC of course but I'm sure the warranties for the individual components (power supply, motherboard, graphics card, etc.) would still apply.

You'd probably need to prove that it wasn't something you did (errors during assembly, etc.) that caused the component(s) to fail but I imagine the manufacturers would be able to determine what happened when the item is returned for warranty claims.

The only component I've ever had to claim warranty on in nearly 20 years was a very expensive NVIDIA graphics card that blew up 12 years ago after about a month's use in one of my self built PC's (I still remember the loud 'POP' sound inside the case followed immediately by the monitor going black).  Shocked

The PC kept running but because I couldn't see anything I had to shut it down with the power button.. lol..

Upon inspecting the graphics card the cooling fan had somehow come loose from its mount and jammed against the surrounding 'shroud' causing the fan to stop spinning which then caused the card to overheat and fail.

I returned the card to the computer store where I bought it and they immediately replaced it for me after their  'in house' tech looked at it - they didn't even ask me to wait for it to be returned to the manufacturer.

You were fortunate that it was something obvious.

Just as an aside -
the clowns who built my computer never put enough
heatsink compound on the CPU.
I had to redo it a few years later after having overheating problems.
Lucky that I had installed the software
Coretemp 1.0 RC6 -
otherwise I would not have known about it and cooked the CPU -   i7 2600K

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:15am

And this is why PC kicks Apple's arse for desktops.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:16am

The only PC component I've ever had fail is a power supply.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:22am

Gordon wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:16am:

I had the lot fail in my previous computer:
power supply,
motherboard,
video card,
hard drive &
DVD player/burner.

At least with a home PC you can easily fix it.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:28am

Bobby. wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:22am:
Gordon wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 7:16am:

I had the lot fail in my previous computer:
power supply,
motherboard,
video card,
hard drive &
DVD player/burner.

At least with a home PC you can easily fix it.

The dramas that imac owners have when something breaks is hilarious.  When my power supply blew up I dropped it into the Chinese pc shop, did my shopping and and it was ready by the time I finished. $50 plus parts.

I've knows people without their imac for weeks.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print