Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chuck Yeager passes (Read 976 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Chuck Yeager passes
Dec 8th, 2020 at 5:09pm

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2020 at 5:20pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Chuck Yeager passes
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 7:02pm

Sad. I'm a big Fan of the hillbilly Ace.
He had The Right Stuff !

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 8:23pm

R.I.P Chuck

The Libs and Labs could never build a plane. If they did, it'd be a rickety biplane made of recycled cardboard and it'd never leave the ground

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 1:40am

Yes - a great fan of Chuck - my kind of guy...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 2:37pm

Exceptional long distance sight allowed him to direct his fellow pilots into position long before the enemy spotted him.
Courageous or fool hardy - making a living as a Test Pilot.
Experienced a number of 'near death experiences' one of which he is heard accepting his death as the test jet plummets to the ground, over radio.
Did a cameo on the movie The Right Stuff which is basically a movie heavily associated with his life.
Was a Hillbilly Huckleberry Finn kinda guy and although the Airforce recognised his ability in the air, they had to help him through the 'educational' and paperwork side of Pilot life in the Military.
Helped innovate progress in Test Jets and Planes.
Was the USA's version of the Red Baron who also had 'superior eyesight' and thus benefited from it with much advantage. But it takes more than just good eyesight - it takes The Right Stuff to get there in the end.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 4:59pm

I watched about 30 minutes of "The Right Stuff" online. Then I went to get a DVD copy of the movie. I still have not watched the movie. Something is really stopping me from watching it.

I am going to youtube the documentaries on Yaeger's efforts.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 9:03pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 4:59pm:
I watched about 30 minutes of "The Right Stuff" online. Then I went to get a DVD copy of the movie. I still have not watched the movie. Something is really stopping me from watching it.

The book is much better than the movie.  I wouldn't bother with the movie.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:50am

Chuck and Bell X-1. Yes, the book is than the film, but reading is a too 20th Century for a lot of people.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 1:14pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:50am:
https://i.postimg.cc/bN4WtJPc/Chuck-and-BEll-X-1.jpg

Chuck and Bell X-1. Yes, the book is than the film, but reading is a too 20th Century for a lot of people.

You might be surprised to find out how popular reading has been in the last 20 years.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 2:16am

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 9:03pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 4:59pm:

The book is much better than the movie.  I wouldn't bother with the movie.

I agree with the Book. But I still think the movie made a good effort to give it justice and 'introduce' mainstream audiences to Yeager's life.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 2:17am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 1:14pm:
issuevoter wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:50am:
https://i.postimg.cc/bN4WtJPc/Chuck-and-BEll-X-1.jpg

You might be surprised to find out how popular reading has been in the last 20 years.

Reading books has increased in sales during 2020 like never before since 1984.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 5:46pm

Alcohol sales and dvd watching has taken off in 2020 like you would not believe. And were were not in lockdown in Qld.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 1:49am

Enlisted as an aircraft mechanic, and progressed to being a Warrant Officer pilot of fighters, often leading wings on operations.  Shot down over Occupied Europe and made his way back to England, and was reinstated to flying since the Allies had over-run the area in which he was shot down and assisted by the Underground.

Shot down, from memory, two Me-262s and also five German aircraft in a day once.... brilliant eyesight apparently.

Broke the sound barrier 'accidentally' while doing a routine run up to near the required speed.... not quite like the movie. In fact - not at all.  He DID bail out at some phenomenal height and copped the ejector seat in the face, burning him badly, when his engine flamed out at serious height...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print