Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sydney Cyclone potential? (Read 1155 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Sydney Cyclone potential?
Dec 27th, 2020 at 1:22pm

Having lived in Sydney and seen massive storm cells develop right before my eyes in isolated parts of the whole Basin area. I honestly don't see where the NRL Melbournian team got their 'Storm' name from? Huh I remember seeing dark cloud develop off the edge of a plateau down Malden/Picton way - that became a storm that wrecked havoc down that way. While in Hoxton Park - a mini cyclone thrashed everything around there and I just managed to drive out of it at the start as it grew to blast that area for many kilometres around.

So its only natural I guess to expect Sydney to one day soon, in this ever climatic erratic and extreme era, to eventually experience a massive Cyclone like what Coffs Harbour experiences... just up the road.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Sydney Cyclone potential?
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 1:34pm

Love Sydney storms. If you don't have a few hail dings on your car, you're not a real Sydney sider   Grin

IBI

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:09pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 1:34pm:
Love Sydney storms. If you don't have a few hail dings on your car, you're not a real Sydney sider   Grin

What about Bondi Cigar dings, or splatters for the soft ones?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:53pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 1:22pm:
So its only natural I guess to expect Sydney to one day soon, in this ever climatic erratic and extreme era, to eventually experience a massive Cyclone like what Coffs Harbour experiences... just up the road.

So how far south have they moved since 1954, a  Cat 1. Or 1964 - a Cat 2?  Neither of which are "massive".Wink

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:56pm

lee wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:53pm:
Jasin wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 1:22pm:

So how far south have they moved since 1954, a  Cat 1. Or 1964 - a Cat 2?  Neither of which are "massive".Wink

Sydney is unprepared and is a soft target when the big ones come.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:58pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:56pm:

So it hasn't happened yet but you rely on .... what exactly to predict a cyclone hit?

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 3:17pm

A lot of heat is being generated in Chez Gordon which could bring a lot of Ozpolitic miscreants to a bad end.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 3:26pm

lee wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:58pm:

So it hasn't happened yet but you rely on .... what exactly to predict a cyclone hit?

Don't hold your breath Lee. He's a bit soft in the head.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 4:21pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 3:26pm:
lee wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 2:58pm:

Don't hold your breath Lee. He's a bit soft in the head.

Don't insult the 'bits' or those soft in the head......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 12:26am

If we get a record number of Cyclones this year. You know the turd is hitting the fans.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 2:46am

I was about to write off 2020 as being another below-average rainfall year. Last year was a record lowest rainfall. These last two months have been above average heat and humidity giving us a muggy atmosphere. Where have all our rainfall and storms gone?

1500km south of us, Sydney seems to be getting all that rainfall that we missed out upon. But, there is no realistic way you could see a cyclone hit Sydney. You will see low depression systems developing in the Tasman that will impact the region. You will see trough systems cross the country and build to those storms we see Sydney famous. But if the waters are not warm enough for tropic cyclone formation, Sydney will not see in the foreseeable future a cyclone impact the region.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 6:47am

Sydney doesn't have cyclones! They have lots of rain and funnel web spiders though.  Wink

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #12 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 6:51am

Something that always amazes me driving through Sydney.

Nearly every car has dings, dents or damage from all number of sources.

Can Sydney people actually drive????????

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 1:03pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 28th, 2020 at 12:26am:
If we get a record number of Cyclones this year. You know the turd is hitting the fans.

That's a big IF. Wink

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 3:32pm

Valkie wrote on Dec 28th, 2020 at 6:51am:

Something that always amazes me driving through Sydney.

Nearly every car has dings, dents or damage from all number of sources.

Can Sydney people actually drive????????

No they can't, nor can Melbournians and other city drivers.

Regional/Rural/Coastal people can drive. But they aren't great at parking - all that extra room you see.
City people can't drive - but they can park on a dive as if the wheels turn 90* into a spot.

City people. When city people go to 'holiday' places like a hoard of tourists. Suddenly towns are swamped with excessive jay-walkers across roads. Drivers don't indicate, sit right up your arse, speed to pack as much holiday into their lives before going back to their crap cities. Exhibit angry and often stressed behaviours. Are ruder and more prone to crime and vandalism of towns with the expectation that the Town's People (Locals) are there to serve them - just like Albany and Byron Bay now. Where Locals become 'peasants' for the visiting City folk who 'own' the town now because the locals are dependent on their $$$.  Tourism Boards jilting the locals in favour of the Tourists. Compromising living standards like the locals at Hyam's Beach who have crowded Tourists parking in their drive ways and bumper to bumper traffic in and out. Sold out by the Tourism Boards for $$$. No 'supportive' infrastructure for the Locals.

Anyway, it will be interesting if Weather is indeed increasing in its extreme and erratic way - with Sydney to experience 'Cyclonic' conditions as proof of it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print