Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29
Send Topic Print
The Best Way to Combat Islamophobia (Read 30835 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: The Best Way to Combat Islamophobia
Reply #240 - Nov 12th, 2022 at 4:03pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 1:48pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 23rd, 2022 at 1:34pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 1:48pm:
who is the nail in your analogy FD? Who is the apprentice? I'll give you a hint - its got something to do with hate speech and incitement to violence, and your contradictory position on it. A position I have gone to great pains to spell out to you.

And before you say it - yes it is an analogy.

Here's how I interpret the analogy:

Should the apprentice who erred in making the nail be held liable for the loss of the kingdom? = should the necessary right of free speech be held liable for bad things that might happen because of it - like violence?

Just a simple confirmation that this is the analogy you meant would be a great start - or maybe I am getting something wrong? Unfortunately though, the problem with using this analogy as your answer to my question - is that it doesn't actually answer my question - as I have already pointed out in great detail - ad-infinitum.

It's not an analogy Gandalf. It is a proverb. I have already explained that the nail is an analogy for a nail. It would be a fool's errand to try to turn each item in the proverb into an analogy for something. So stop trying.

Quote:
For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
For want of a horse, the king was lost.
For want of a king, the battle was lost.
For want of a battle, the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Should the apprentice who erred in making the nail be held liable for the loss of the kingdom?

In your eternal quest to be as inane as humanly possible, you've completely forgotten the subject FD.

Why bring up the proverb if you insist so vehemently its not in any way an analogy? Can you at least answer that?

Because by answering it you will discover a principle. Or not.

Is it possible for Muslims to have principles that don't come Muhammad's excuses for rape and pillage?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #241 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 10:49am

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2022 at 4:03pm:
Is it possible for Muslims to have principles that don't come Muhammad's excuses for rape and pillage?

Is it possible for you to at least pose a question that makes sense?

But it is possible for non-fundamentalist/non-literalist Muslims to claim and act on Islam as being a religion of peace, as it is possible for followers of all religions to claim....since 'God loves mankind'..... 

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #242 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 2:42pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 10:49am:

But it is possible for non-fundamentalist/non-literalist Muslims to claim and act on Islam as being a religion of peace, as it is possible for followers of all religions to claim....since 'God loves mankind'..... 

Utter, Western multicultural revisionist rubbish. To be a Muzlum, you have to believe the Koran is the word of God, as given to Mo by an angel. Its not for you to reinterpret for them, to make Islam more acceptable to us.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #243 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:02pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 2:42pm:

Utter, Western multicultural revisionist rubbish. To be a Muzlum, you have to believe the Koran is the word of God, as given to Mo by an angel. Its not for you to reinterpret for them, to make Islam more acceptable to us.

The current debate is the question of compulsion in religion, for which freediver (frauddiver) wants examples. 

All religious texts contain compulsion eg "(Joshua) destroyed everything that breathed, as commanded by the Lord God of Israel".  (Joshua 10, 40).

and OT proclaimed stoning to death of adulterers.. fortunately ignored by most people today...

Yet Folau causes merry havoc with his OT-based proclamations....and Rabin's murderer  was acting on OT mythology about the "Promised Land".

So intelligent Muslims (not ISIS..) like intelligent Jews and Christians must ignore large swathes of their respective scriptures.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #244 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:24pm

Does this question make sense to you, or are you not allowed to ask it in China?

Should the apprentice who erred in making the nail be held liable for the loss of the kingdom?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #245 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:39pm

freediver wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:24pm:

Does this question make sense to you, or are you not allowed to ask it in China?

So is God the apprentice? Obviously not; yet he commanded obsolete (and now illegal) punishment for wrongdoers.

See the limitations of analogies?

As to an answer to the literal question: both the apprentice and the kingdom are responsible for their fall, because the nail cannot be claimed to be the sole support of the kingdom.  ....

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #246 - Nov 14th, 2022 at 10:20pm

Ship all Muslims back home and declare your country a Muslim free zone.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #247 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 12:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 14th, 2022 at 10:20pm:

Better yet, end vicious US-led hegemonic global neoliberalism; and engender prosperous development in all nations (which is what Xi is saying in Bali....), and then Afghanis and Iraqis wouldn't need to flee to Oz, the EU and N. America. 

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #248 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 12:49pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 15th, 2022 at 12:13pm:

Better yet, end vicious US-led hegemonic global neoliberalism; and engender prosperous development in all nations (which is what Xi is saying in Bali....), and then Afghanis and Iraqis wouldn't need to flee to Oz, the EU and N. America. 

Hang on a minute ... why are Afghanis and Iraqis fleeing to the US and it's allies if the US is that bad? You'd stay away wouldn't ya?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #249 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 1:06pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 15th, 2022 at 12:49pm:

Hang on a minute ... why are Afghanis and Iraqis fleeing to the US and it's allies if the US is that bad? You'd stay away wouldn't ya?

Because they - some of whom co-operated with the US - had the chance to seek refuge in 1st world countries, after the US destroyed the economies of their home nations. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #250 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 9:54am

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:39pm:
freediver wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:24pm:

So is God the apprentice? Obviously not; yet he commanded obsolete (and now illegal) punishment for wrongdoers.

See the limitations of analogies?

As to an answer to the literal question: both the apprentice and the kingdom are responsible for their fall, because the nail cannot be claimed to be the sole support of the kingdom.  ....

That's why it I keep saying it is not an analogy and it is a fools errand to try to turn it into one. So I am not surprised at your efforts.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #251 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 9:58am

Hi FD,
thegreatdivide has a faulty avatar picture that loads up the page and makes it bounce
losing my position when trying to read a page.

https://www.ozpolitic.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/brown/noimg.gif

Can you fix it please? -
I asked him but he did nothing to remove it.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #252 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 10:06am

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 15th, 2022 at 1:06pm:

Because they - some of whom co-operated with the US - had the chance to seek refuge in 1st world countries, after the US destroyed the economies of their home nations. 

Bollocks.

https://www.ft.com/content/bfdb94a5-654b-4286-8da9-34c0ff3b88aa

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #253 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 11:38am

Frank wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 10:06am:

Bollocks.

Care to summarize the argument?

Obviously people would prefer to live in the country of their birth; lack of a functional economy (war, geopolitics, resource competition)   forces them to leave.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #254 - Nov 21st, 2022 at 5:10pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 11:38am:
Frank wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 10:06am:

Bollocks.

Care to summarize the argument?

Obviously people would prefer to live in the country of their birth; lack of a functional economy (war, geopolitics, resource competition)   forces them to leave.

I do not think it is obvious, or even true. Many people chose to go somewhere else, and not necessarily for economic or political reasons. Some places are more interesting than others. Some places have a better climate. The food is better in some countries than others. Some people are more adventurous than stay-at-home dullards.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29
Send Topic Print