thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Re: Western Culture
Reply #420 - Oct 10th, 2024 at 2:07pm

Frank wrote on Oct 9th, 2024 at 3:41pm:
We need to talk about the crisis in Western civilisation

And why "London isn't safe anymore" ....

Quote:
Brendan O’Neill

There were two eruptions of barbarism last October. The first was Hamas’s pogrom of October 7, in which more than 1000 people were slaughtered and many others maimed, raped and kidnapped. The second was the sympathy for the pogrom across much of the West. The celebration, even, of this army of anti-Semites that had paraglided, barged and driven into southern Israel to decimate the civilian population there.

O'Neill - a typical  Conservative, unable or unwilling to  understand the causes of conflict.

Yes there was thuggery and murder on Oct. 7th, but the Israeli state has been denying justice for Palestinians for  generations.

Quote:
This is what we need to talk about. Urgently[/highlight]. The first eruption of barbarism in October 2023 – Hamas’s carnival of killing – confirmed what many of us already knew: that Hamas is a Jew-hating war machine that masquerades as a national liberation movement.

Hamas hate the Israeli state, yes, while Israelis have continued to resist adoption of UN res 181, preferring to maintain an illegal occupation of Palestinian land.

Rape and murder of course are a concomitant of the [b]barbarism of war
which O'Neill supports (following the absurd "legal war" doctrine forced into the UN Charter).

Quote:
The second eruption of barbarism – the pogrom apologism in our own cities – points to something we are less willing to talk about: the moral rot of a Western world that has turned its back on the virtues of reason, enlightenment and just plain decency.

"Just plain decency"? 

Back to the good billionaires' observation about London : "It's not safe anymore"; with unemployed thugs stabbing people, while Russian ologarchs and billionaires are living high in their gated mansions.

Quote:
October 7 exposed our own crisis of civilisation. Ignoring it would be nothing short of suicidal.

Correct, but O'Neill is a blind Conservative who thinks the soaring inequality in our cities is fine and dandy, nothing to see here. 

Quote:
This is an edited excerpt from Brendan O’Neill’s new book, After the Pogrom: 7 October, Israel and the Crisis of Civilisation, published by Spiked Books and available now.

Ramblings from a blind Conservative - no thanks.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #421 - Oct 10th, 2024 at 6:51pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 10th, 2024 at 2:07pm:

Quote:
Brendan O’Neill

There were two eruptions of barbarism last October. The first was Hamas’s pogrom of October 7, in which more than 1000 people were slaughtered and many others maimed, raped and kidnapped. The second was the sympathy for the pogrom across much of the West. The celebration, even, of this army of anti-Semites that had paraglided, barged and driven into southern Israel to decimate the civilian population there.

O'Neill - a typical  Conservative, unable or unwilling to  understand the causes of conflict.

Yes there was thuggery and murder on Oct. 7th, but the Israeli state has been denying justice for Palestinians for  generations.

Quote:
This is what we need to talk about. Urgently[/highlight]. The first eruption of barbarism in October 2023 – Hamas’s carnival of killing – confirmed what many of us already knew: that Hamas is a Jew-hating war machine that masquerades as a national liberation movement.

Hamas hate the Israeli state, yes, while Israelis have continued to resist adoption of UN res 181, preferring to maintain an illegal occupation of Palestinian land.

which O'Neill supports (following the absurd "legal war" doctrine forced into the UN Charter).

Quote:
The second eruption of barbarism – the pogrom apologism in our own cities – points to something we are less willing to talk about: the moral rot of a Western world that has turned its back on the virtues of reason, enlightenment and just plain decency.

"Just plain decency"? 

Back to the good billionaires' observation about London : "It's not safe anymore"; with unemployed thugs stabbing people, while Russian ologarchs and billionaires are living high in their gated mansions.

Quote:
October 7 exposed our own crisis of civilisation. Ignoring it would be nothing short of suicidal.

Correct, but O'Neill is a blind Conservative who thinks the soaring inequality in our cities is fine and dandy, nothing to see here. 

Quote:
This is an edited excerpt from Brendan O’Neill’s new book, After the Pogrom: 7 October, Israel and the Crisis of Civilisation, published by Spiked Books and available now.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

And you are typical ignorant, blinkered know-nuffin' wind-up screeching parrot:

Once a Trotskyist, O'Neill was formerly a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party and wrote for the party's journal Living Marxism. In 2019, O'Neill said he was a Marxist libertarian.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #422 - Oct 11th, 2024 at 4:50am

October 7th, England - One Year On

Winston Marshall
Oct 08, 2024
Few people have a talent for words sufficient to articulate the horror, tragedy and significance of the October 7th, 2023. Certainly not me. What I offer here are some observations on how that awful day marked England.

It is not just the Middle East and Israel that is forever changed, but the West. The date marks a turning point for Britain and for my home city London. Here, on the far-side of the European continent, the deep divisions that have been creaking and groaning for nearly three decades cleaved fully open.

It wasn’t gradually apparent either. It was immediate. Those of us on X (Twitter) saw the videos streaming in from the Israeli embassy in Kensington where kaffiyeh-garbed groups went to celebrate. “Allah Akbar!” they howled in jubilance. I dread to think of the nature of a God that takes delight in such evil. Flares of red. Flares of green. Hollering. Gloating. A day of glory for a portion of my fellow countrymen. At least I am told they are my fellow countrymen, and administratively I believe they probably are. This was October 8th.

On October 9th I joined a vigil on Whitehall. There, several hundred, maybe a couple thousand, mainly Jewish grievers sang hymns and mourned the slaughter of the 1200. That same night, as the Victoria Line screeched me home, I faced a reveller from the other side of town. There he stood in front of me on the tube carriage. Euphoric. Chest out. He was returning home from another night of celebrations. Celebrations that I witnessed on X. Wrapped in his clan’s tartan - the black and white hattah cloth with which we’ve grown accustomed to. The tribal-wear of Palestine. I wanted to confront him. To hit him. Israel had not even responded at this point. But I controlled myself. I held back tears.

I was back in Westminster the following weekend, off to speak at the Social Democrat Party conference. Parliament Square was heaving. Balaclavas, groups of eggy black-clad lads. Lebanon flags. Palestine flags. Eyes looking for fights. “Israel is a Terrorist State” they chanted. Israel and British Jews continued to grieve the horrendous terrorist attacks. This would be one of the first of at least twenty such marches through my city in the year to come.

Britain now has a significant demographic of people who see reality completely differently to those of us who are culturally British. Or, as far as I’m concerned, don’t see reality at all. A poll commissioned by the Henry Jackson Society has found that only one in four British Muslims believe Hamas committed murder and rape in Israel on October 7th. That means at least 3 million British muslims reject the video evidence and testimony released by Hamas themselves, as it paints Hamas in a light that does not agree with their worldview. That Hamas are the freedom-fighters. The goodies.

The political far-left have done their best to claim these regular marches are “pro-Palestine”. But having witnessed them myself it is evident they are not. They are explicitly anti-Israel. Take this weekend for example. Marking the year anniversary of October 7th protestors waved placards which read “We Will Not Abandon Palestine” in a silhouette of Hassan Nasrallah the recently killed terrorist leader of Hezbollah. There were many such signs…

The same up and down the country. Humza Yousaf, the former First Minister of Scotland gave a speech on this anniversary weekend decrying Israel. Not Hamas who started the war and could have ended it, not Hezbollah, not the Houthis, not Iran, not Qatar. Israel. His blind frothing vitriol impervious to the fact that at least 100 Israeli hostages are still in Hamas captivity or dead.

These regular marches through our cities filled with unapologetic antisemitism have already inspired a backlash. The riots across England this summer were not unrelated.

How are we to make a nation of people with such fundamentally different grasps of reality? In the Middle East people are separated by borders, imperfect as they are. Here we live side by side. What is our common culture? What is it that unites the people of Britain? The answer is certainly not “diversity”.

Looking back I do see some hope. I see it in the spirit of Israel. I visited in January to tape interviews with Douglas Murray, Natan Sharansky, Eylon Levy and others. I found a nation hurting but united. Suffering but dignified. Young and old the nation had come together. With riots and protests across the world, here at the centre of the storm, it was eerily calm. And this was a nation divided before October 7th, lest we forget.

Netanyahu seems to be turning the tragedy of last year into military victory. Hamas and Hezbollah high command have been humiliated. Israel stands on the brink of tremendous advance. Once in a generation. Their enemies are the enemies of all the West. Yet the West appear to have forgotten as much.

Despite the rise in antisemitism in Britain I hope that British Jews know that it is specific minorities from which this hate rises, and that the majority of the country stands in solidarity with you.

Far away from the Gaza Envelope, England is not the same for October 7th. An ugly clarity has ascended. What can unite us again is yet to be seen. But I thank goodness for the example of the people of Israel.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #423 - Oct 11th, 2024 at 10:54am

Frank wrote on Oct 10th, 2024 at 6:51pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 10th, 2024 at 2:07pm:

Quote:
Brendan O’Neill

Quote:

Quote:

"Just plain decency"? 

Quote:

Quote:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

And you are typical ignorant, blinkered know-nuffin' wind-up screeching parrot:

Even after defending Trump by attempting to teach you that deficits (caused by unfunded tax cuts) don't matter?

As understood by Kohler and Keen - see the latest MMT article. 

Quote:
Once a Trotskyist, O'Neill was formerly a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party and wrote for the party's journal Living Marxism. In 2019, O'Neill said he was a Marxist libertarian.

Like I said, I'll vote for Trump's economic policies, while rejecting his social policies; O'Neill is ignoring economics while (like Trump) defending Israel.

Why is "London no longer safe"?

Of course you blame the victims of socio-economic disadvantage for their bad behaviour, like all  blind Conservative ideologues.   

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #424 - Oct 11th, 2024 at 11:16am

Frank wrote on Oct 11th, 2024 at 4:50am:
October 7th, England - One Year On

Winston Marshall
Oct 08, 2024
Few people have a talent for words sufficient to articulate the horror, tragedy and significance of the October 7th, 2023. Certainly not me. What I offer here are some observations on how that awful day marked England.

It is not just the Middle East and Israel that is forever changed, but the West. The date marks a turning point for Britain and for my home city London. Here, on the far-side of the European continent, the deep divisions that have been creaking and groaning for nearly three decades cleaved fully open.

Marshall - another blind Conservative "Promised Land" Judeo Christian ideologue.

London deserves its fate; the British are the original  enablers of the recreation of Israel on Muslim lands, opening the gates of hell,  following the schisms in the scriptures of the "Peoples of the Book".

Western culture follows the Judeo-Christian portion of scriptures of "the Peoples of the Book", ignoring the ME (Islamic) culture's view, which has resulted in the current catastrophe, with Israel - now powerfully  backed by the US - reverting to its ancient playbook: "slaughter them without mercy" (1 Samuel 15 , 1-3) in retaliation for the resistance of the prior occupiers of the land, during the conquest of the "Promised Land".

Blind Judea Christians ideologues creating blind Muslim ideologues, making a mockery  of the scriptures of 'The Peoples of the Book".

Genocide is always ugly, regardless of the perpetrators.  i

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 
Send Topic Print