Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Intermittent fasting (Read 3365 times)
rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Intermittent fasting
Aug 30th, 2021 at 11:26am

Ive almost never eaten breakfast, preferring to exercise on an empty stomach , but intermittent fasting is a game changer for me. Been doing this for a few months now, off and on combined with a maybe 75 percent keto diet, I have to say the benefits are not over rated. 36 hours seems to be the sweet spot for all round health benefits. Visceral fat is what we need to lose, calorie restriction and exercise by themselves wont burn visceral fat.
https://lifeapps.io/fasting/the-5-stages-of-intermittent-fasting/

IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Intermittent fasting
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 12:25pm

I've also heard you can dial it right back and still get a lot of the benefits.

I think the minimum is a very light breakfast, no lunch then dinner, which I've been doing on non-weights days.

Breakfast is about 1/2 cup of oats as porridge, black coffee.
Middle of the day, a cup of vege broth
Normal dinner.

IBI

IP Logged

John Dillermand
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 12:43pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 12:25pm:

I think the minimum is a very light breakfast, no lunch then dinner, which I've been doing on non-weights days.

Normal dinner.

Yep, 16:8 has benefits, 5:2 is easier to follow generally and laso shows benefits

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:29pm

Normal dinner.
I think you would get the benefits of calorie restriction on that diet but thats about all. the way I iunderstand it we need to abstain from food completely to get things like autophagy or the big increase in HGH. Granted that exercise in itself increase both those things but not on the level that fasting does and you really need 18 hours of fasting to get those increased  benefits.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:34pm by rhino »  

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:33pm

John Dillermand wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 12:43pm:

Normal dinner.

Yep, 16:8 has benefits, 5:2 is easier to follow generally and laso shows benefits
16.8 has much better benefits than 5.2, 5.2 is just calorie restriction really. Im doing one meal a day most days, the difference between one and 2 meals a day is enormous. I intend to try a 72 hour soon, allegedly the benefits include a large increase in BDNF.

IP Logged

John Dillermand
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:34pm

rhino wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:33pm:

Normal dinner.

16.8 has much better benefits than 5.2, 5.2 is just calorie restriction really. Im doing one meal a day most days, the difference between one and 2 meals a day is enormous. I intend to try a 72 hour soon, allegedly the benefits include a large increase in BDNF.

BDNF eh

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:36pm

John Dillermand wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
rhino wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 3:33pm:

Normal dinner.

BDNF eh
Sounds right, if our predecessors crumbled if they went hungry we wouldnt be here.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 11:20pm

Booby prefers...nevermind.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:30pm

rhino wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 11:26am:
Ive almost never eaten breakfast, preferring to exercise on an empty stomach , but intermittent fasting is a game changer for me. Been doing this for a few months now, off and on combined with a maybe 75 percent keto diet, I have to say the benefits are not over rated. 36 hours seems to be the sweet spot for all round health benefits. Visceral fat is what we need to lose, calorie restriction and exercise by themselves wont burn visceral fat.
https://lifeapps.io/fasting/the-5-stages-of-intermittent-fasting/

Wow - 36 hours is a good fast. Been a long time since I fasted.
They are REALLY good. Amazing how much energy you get during a fast.

I don't have breakfast till about 10.30 am.
That works well for my schedule

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Hidden Location (Yaamba)
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 12:13am

I had fasted for about 50 hours one time about 10 years ago. I was living with others at the time. All I did was drink water for the two days. When people had noticed that I had not eaten, they took it upon themselves to fix me a ham and salad sandwich. I decided to break the long-standing fast and resume eating normally. It took me over a week before I was back to normal. My metabolism went into starvation mode and slowed down. It meant that I had to eat light meals until I was able to eat difficult to digest meals.

Whilst I have no issue with people doing fasting for up to 24 hours, if you go beyond that, you are going to do your body some damage. That is, if you are not laying in bed for most of those 24 hours, you can do some damage to your body.

You could probably skip breakfast. But you should have lunch and a normal dinner.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 12:57am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:30pm:
They are REALLY good. Amazing how much energy you get during a fast

That's why prisoners had the strength to build bridges for the Japanese

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Hidden Location (Yaamba)
Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 1:02am

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 11th, 2021 at 12:57am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:30pm:
They are REALLY good. Amazing how much energy you get during a fast

That's why prisoners had the strength to build bridges for the Japanese

No. It was either work as a slave, or die.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 9:48pm

So myself, and 2 others I know have done this for around a few months 1mad or 2mad combined with the keto diet.  No one reports any loss of energy or slower metabolism, everyone says they lost fat and not muscle.  My female friend reports loss of fat around the midsection, very impressed with results, no loss of her booty apparently,  which I agree. I have gone down a couple of percent body fat I reckon. No loss of energy, no loss of motivation, improved concentration. You need to combine this method with a keto diet because the body will produce ketones which are much more beneficial for the body to run on than carbohydrates or (glucose).

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 10:06pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 11th, 2021 at 12:13am:
I had fasted for about 50 hours one time about 10 years ago. I was living with others at the time. All I did was drink water for the two days. When people had noticed that I had not eaten, they took it upon themselves to fix me a ham and salad sandwich. I decided to break the long-standing fast and resume eating normally. It took me over a week before I was back to normal. My metabolism went into starvation mode and slowed down. It meant that I had to eat light meals until I was able to eat difficult to digest meals.

Whilst I have no issue with people doing fasting for up to 24 hours, if you go beyond that, you are going to do your body some damage. That is, if you are not laying in bed for most of those 24 hours, you can do some damage to your body.

You could probably skip breakfast. But you should have lunch and a normal dinner.
Just F off idiot.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 11:13pm

rhino wrote on Sep 18th, 2021 at 9:48pm:
I have gone down a couple of percent body fat I reckon. No loss of energy, no loss of motivation, improved concentration. You need to combine this method with a keto diet because the body will produce ketones which are much more beneficial for the body to run on than carbohydrates or (glucose).

There are a lot of fads out there weight loss is a huge industry i should note the Australian Institute of Sport doesn't follow any of these fad diets.

Skinfold calipers are cheap  give an accurate way of measuring bodyfat you can do it with 4 main sites subscapular suprailiac ( about an inch above hip on side) bicep and tricep. Add up the total look at the chart in some cases age correct it.

If you look at food Carbs break down into glucose which give energy protein breaks down into amino acids which help body rebuild and repair and fat breaks down into fat which is stored energy on your body.

If you eat more calories than you burn up it will be stored on your body as fat regardless of which group (carbs, protein,fat) they came from.

How much protein you need to eat every day varies if you have a sedentry lifestyle 1 gram of protein per kilogram of your weight is enough ie 90 kg person 90 grams. If you workout fairly hard i would double it. With 100 grams of chicken you get 27 grams of protein, 100 grams of steak gives about 25 grams of protein. 1 egg has about 6 grams of protein.Choose the leaner types like chicken breast over thighs eye fillet over chops and there is a study showing shellfish are a superfood.
If you get sore after workouts you need more protein. Your body cannot efficiently process large amounts of protein in one meal so spread it out through the day.

Carbs break down into glucose which give you energy. By Carbs i mean fruit vegetables pasta rice bread etc with the exception of olives avocado and nuts which are fats. There are SFA calories in tomatos strawberries and watery fruits and veg so not really limited with eating them. If you lack energy you need more carbs. How these carbs are cooked makes a huge difference don't cook in oil and don't add fats like butter etc to them.When you do high intensity stuff for shorter duration like a couple of minutes your body runs on anaerobic energy system which uses glucose for energy.

Fat goes on as fat so avoid all fats i put sugary things like chocolate and sweets and twisties cheezels etc into fat category. Olives avocado and nuts are really the only fats you should eat. When you get your heart rate up and maintain it for minimum 15 minutes your body starts running on aerobic energy system which uses bodyfat.

Those like Usain Bolt who do 100m sprints then rest run on Creatine Phosphate energy system which is only good for about 20 seconds they need glucose for that. Since it only takes Bolt 10 seconds to run 100M he would be good to go again after 30 second rest, if you take 15 seconds you would be good to go again after 45 second rest. If you want to do sprint training then rest for 3 times what it took to run 100m then go again.

If weight loss (reducing bodyfat) is your goal eat no more protein than you need cuts carbs down until energy levels start to drop and cuts out all fats including avocado olives/oil along with all junk food. Look for around 1500 calories a day.

Chris Hemsworth doesn't do any of these fads he eats around 6 times a day to build his body which is what most huge bodybuilders do they have bodyfat levels around 6%.

As for keto it's just another fad- https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2021 at 11:46pm by Baronvonrort »  

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print